GPS on N9005 solution that worked for me!

Search This thread

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010
...hello friends...I am writing this for all of you people that have a problem with GPS signal on your beloved Note 3 N9005...
...when I received my Note 3 for 4G LTE network, I didn't know that I will have any problems with GPS signal...although there is no LTE network in my country yet, there should not be a problem with GPS signal...so I have searched a little bit and found application that was the solution for my problem...
...anyway...let's start...I just want to say "Thanks" to the developers of the application...crypted and Zatta :good:
Please follow link bellow to download application...
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2198319

I did the following things in order to fix GPS signal...
1) You need to have rooted phone - there are plenty of links on the xda, I done my rooting from this link without any problems... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2466423
2) Download TopNTP 1.0.4 application from the link provided
3) Place the application on your external SD card
4) Before instalation go to /system folder on your internal memory and mount rw for that folder manualy - you can do it by installing for example total commander app from the google market it is free...then go to buttons and create button with internal command, 119 Remount...it will create button that can be used for mounting rw partition...or you can use root explorer...
5) Install TopNTP application
6) Reboot your phone
7) Start application and go with already default settings...click on Install button
8) Save and reboot again
9) Try your GPS now...
10) If this is not working try with settings for your country and put General insetead of Derek Gordon's server, save and again reebot

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!!
There will be stored one backup file of your gps.conf file, don't delete anything...

I hope it will help your device to work as it should...maybe this will help someone...also...there is a full description of application and changelog for older versions...so check it if you want...

Thank you all...Cheers!!! :highfive:

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
...hello friends...I am writing this for all of you people that have a problem with GPS signal on your beloved Note 3 N9005...
...when I received my Note 3 for 4G LTE network, I didn't know that I will have any problems with GPS signal...although there is no LTE network in my country yet, there should not be a problem with GPS signal...so I have searched a little bit and found application that was the solution for my problem...
...anyway...let's start...I just want to say "Thanks" to the developers of the application...crypted and Zatta :good:

1) You need to have rooted phone - there are plenty of links on the xda, I done my rooting from this link without any problems... http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2466423
4) Before instalation go to /system folder on your internal memory and mount rw for that folder manualy - you can do it by installing for example total commander app from the google market it is free...then go to buttons and create button with internal command, 119 Remount...it will create button that can be used for mounting rw partition...or you can use root explorer...
6) Reboot your phone
7) Start application and go with already default settings...click on Install button
8) Save and reboot again
9) Try your GPS now...
10) If this is not working try with settings for your country and put General insetead of Derek Gordon's server, save and again reebot

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!!
There will be stored one backup file of your gps.conf file, don't delete anything...

I hope it will help your device to work as it should...maybe this will help someone...also...there is a full description of application and changelog for older versions...so check it if you want...

Can you please post here your /system/etc/gps.conf file? Just out of curiosity.

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
...file is attached... enjoy...regards! :highfive:

0) Thank you! :good:

1) Their program is still buggy - both for me and for you (your two files are the same) the program failed to replace /system/etc/gps.conf with their configuration that is somewhere in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files :rolleyes: I have also attached a (slightly modified) file that was there for me.

2) I have manually forced that file over /system/etc/gps.conf (with Total Commander - I think I am a registered user of the PC Total Commander for like 15 years now :good:) and I am going to test more tomorrow but to be honest the tests so far show that things are definitely not getting better with their TopNTP program on N9005 :rolleyes:

Attachments

• gps.conf.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 258

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010
0) Thank you! :good:

1) Their program is still buggy - both for me and for you (your two files are the same) the program failed to replace /system/etc/gps.conf with their configuration that is somewhere in /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files :rolleyes: I have also attached a (slightly modified) file that was there for me.

2) I have manually forced that file over /system/etc/gps.conf (with Total Commander - I think I am a registered user of the PC Total Commander for like 15 years now :good:) and I am going to test more tomorrow but to be honest the tests so far show that things are definitely not getting better with their TopNTP program on N9005 :rolleyes:

...Thank you for your gps.conf file... :good: ...you are right, their program is a little buggy...anyhow, I have tried several different things with x-note rom, alexander rom, hawkish, etc... and also with some other apps from apkmania, but the only application that somehow sucessfully managed to catch the gps signal was TopNTP...
...I tested all on my trip to the job, and back to my home...and it is working...I tested it with google maps as well as with Sygic maps...again it is working...I also checked the files you ask from me to post...they are the same...probably software reads configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files... and maybe app developers will do something to improve their software in near future...in order to save the gps.conf file directly to the /system folder...I hope...because that would be excelent...once again thanx for help and comments... cheers! :highfive:

xclub_101

Oct 15, 2012
Samsung Galaxy S23 Ultra
...Thank you for your gps.conf file... :good: ...you are right, their program is a little buggy...anyhow, I have tried several different things with x-note rom, alexander rom, hawkish, etc... and also with some other apps from apkmania, but the only application that somehow sucessfully managed to catch the gps signal was TopNTP...
...I tested all on my trip to the job, and back to my home...and it is working...I tested it with google maps as well as with Sygic maps...again it is working...I also checked the files you ask from me to post...they are the same...probably software reads configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files... and maybe app developers will do something to improve their software in near future...in order to save the gps.conf file directly to the /system folder...I hope...because that would be excelent...once again thanx for help and comments... cheers! :highfive:

No, the (otherwise perfectly normal Linux) device driver does not read the configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files, you are using the same gps.conf as you did before (and just like everybody else you get it from /system/etc) but since there are so many factors involved the placebo effect has completely mixed your findings.

If you want to test the other configuration go on your phone to /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files and copy that one over original gps.conf (Total Commander will tell you about remounting RW) and then reboot. Test it on average at least a week and see if things are clearly different than now.

In my phone it is increasingly clear that there is certainly no improvement.

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010
No, the (otherwise perfectly normal Linux) device driver does not read the configuration from /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files, you are using the same gps.conf as you did before (and just like everybody else you get it from /system/etc) but since there are so many factors involved the placebo effect has completely mixed your findings.

If you want to test the other configuration go on your phone to /data/data/by.zatta.agps/files and copy that one over original gps.conf (Total Commander will tell you about remounting RW) and then reboot. Test it on average at least a week and see if things are clearly different than now.

In my phone it is increasingly clear that there is certainly no improvement.

bro...i think I have find solution for you... :cool: ...Install this app called GPS Status & Toolbox Pro...you can find download link easy, but if you can't PM me, I will send it to you... when you install it reset AGPS and download new definitions, then use TopNTP, you will see that settings are changed, and gps will work for you...please send me feedback if it work...regards! :highfive:

youngblood68

Feb 24, 2011
hello guys , I really home this will work for me because I have tried everything and no gps signal at all ? please put download links that I need to do , this is the last I am trying :) and ....thank you

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

will this work for my N9005 ? I live in Tenerife and it wont let me download it form playstore ,anyone with a link please

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010

hello guys , I really home this will work for me because I have tried everything and no gps signal at all ? please put download links that I need to do , this is the last I am trying :) and ....thank you

---------- Post added at 08:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:29 PM ----------

will this work for my N9005 ? I live in Tenerife and it wont let me download it form playstore ,anyone with a link please

hey bro...sorry for delayed answer...been busy little bit...can you post your gps.conf file here?
...I'll gladly help if I can...by the way...some guys already posted the solution with service code *#0011#...search xda a little...I am sure you will find it ;)
...anyhow...if you found better solution for fixing the GPS issue then this one I've posted...you can share it with others here...best regards... cheers! :highfive:

Dioky

Oct 16, 2009
Manually editing?

Hi there,

Indeed, TopNTP is'nt changing/editing the file gps.conf in my phone either.
Has anyone tried editing it manually with the lines TopNTP suggests?
Would that be possible at all? Or is there some checksum that won't cooperate?

Regards,

Colide

Apr 1, 2012
Prishtina
Hi there,

Indeed, TopNTP is'nt changing/editing the file gps.conf in my phone either.
Has anyone tried editing it manually with the lines TopNTP suggests?
Would that be possible at all? Or is there some checksum that won't cooperate?

Regards,

I did edit gps.conf with those lines but it didn't really help with GPS Issue.
I guess I'm missing something.

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010

I did edit gps.conf with those lines but it didn't really help with GPS Issue.
I guess I'm missing something.

...hello bro...try this file...it is extracted from TopNTP settings...

...you need to copy original file first on your external sd card, then copy text from this file to gps.conf...reboot your phone...and report me back what is happened...I hope it will work... cheers! :highfive:

Attachments

• topntp.gps.conf.txt
    1.1 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

Colide

Apr 1, 2012
Prishtina
...hello bro...try this file...it is extracted from TopNTP settings...

...you need to copy original file first on your external sd card, then copy text from this file to gps.conf...reboot your phone...and report me back what is happened...I hope it will work... cheers! :highfive:

I did find the file yesterday and copied it to \etc.

Didn't really help :(

vz_commo

Oct 10, 2012
I solved my problem by tightening the screws in the back of the phone around the gps area (left of camera when looking at the back) they where a little loose ever since then it's worked perfectly

Colide

Apr 1, 2012
Prishtina
I solved my problem by tightening the screws in the back of the phone around the gps area (left of camera when looking at the back) they where a little loose ever since then it's worked perfectly

Already tried that. I even opened the back side completely to check for the pins contact.

My phone works perfectly in other countries. It's just here at home that doesn't.
It did work perfectly until I upgraded to KitKat :(

Daxded

Sep 11, 2010
...update to the old post...

...Hello to all people on xda forum...
...I just want to add one update to my post for all guys that still have problems with GPS and didn't solve the issue...here is a solution...I hope you will hit thanks button :)
...this is only for those people which have strange problem when gps hardware works, for example you can update your weather on weather widget, but somehow you can't catch any satellites when you want to find your way in the city...then problem is definitely could be fixed...I did it with several N9005 devices and always was successful...

The real credit goes to @SchecterRocker, where he posted how he solved the issue...actually you can follow his post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729322&nocache=1 THANK YOU MAN!!! :good:

First, as optional is to update your modem and bootloader according to your baseband.
Second, retrieve your default gps.conf file. Now you can go with tearing apart your device...just follow instructions that @SchecterRocker posted...or you can follow it here...ADAPTED LITTLE BIT ;)

[[ INSTRUCTIONS ]] (See attached pics for details)
1. Remove the back cover, battery, stylus, SIM, and microSD.
2. Remove the 12 Phillips screws on the back.
3. Carefully remove the inner plastic shell (clipped in).
4. Take your time!!! DO NOT HURRY!!! Gently open around the edges until all edges and clips are loose ( you can use guitar pick ).
5. Observe the leaf pin locations shown below. photo01.jpg
6. This leaf is clearly related to the GPS, because bending it back restored my GPS to perfect functionality. TRUE!
7. Extra Carefully!!!! bend the leaf pin back into position, if you find a dislocated leaf pin. photo02.jpg
8. ALSO CHECK THE REST OF LEAFS!!! Replace the inner plastic shell, making sure to not damage the leaf pins.
9. Replace the 12 screws.
10. Replace the SIM, microSD, stylus, and back cover. START THE MACHINE!!! ...working isn't it??? :)

Cheers!!! :highfive:

THANK YOU @SchecterRocker (hope you won't blame me for using your photos and instructions) AND @xda-developers

Attachments

• photo01.jpg
    photo01.jpg
    247.7 KB · Views: 643
  • photo02.jpg
    photo02.jpg
    247.4 KB · Views: 640
Reactions: SchecterRocker

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

6) Reboot your phone
    8) Save and reboot again
    9) Try your GPS now...

THAT'S IT FOLKS!!!

gps.conf file

Can you please post here your /system/etc/gps.conf file? Just out of curiosity.

...hello there friend...check the file attached... :fingers-crossed:
    ...update to the old post...

...Hello to all people on xda forum...
    ...I just want to add one update to my post for all guys that still have problems with GPS and didn't solve the issue...here is a solution...I hope you will hit thanks button :)
    ...this is only for those people which have strange problem when gps hardware works, for example you can update your weather on weather widget, but somehow you can't catch any satellites when you want to find your way in the city...then problem is definitely could be fixed...I did it with several N9005 devices and always was successful...

The real credit goes to @SchecterRocker, where he posted how he solved the issue...actually you can follow his post here: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2729322&nocache=1 THANK YOU MAN!!! :good:

First, as optional is to update your modem and bootloader according to your baseband.
    Second, retrieve your default gps.conf file. Now you can go with tearing apart your device...just follow instructions that @SchecterRocker posted...or you can follow it here...ADAPTED LITTLE BIT ;)

[[ INSTRUCTIONS ]] (See attached pics for details)
    1. Remove the back cover, battery, stylus, SIM, and microSD.
    2. Remove the 12 Phillips screws on the back.
    3. Carefully remove the inner plastic shell (clipped in).
    4. Take your time!!! DO NOT HURRY!!! Gently open around the edges until all edges and clips are loose ( you can use guitar pick ).
    5. Observe the leaf pin locations shown below. photo01.jpg
    6. This leaf is clearly related to the GPS, because bending it back restored my GPS to perfect functionality. TRUE!
    7. Extra Carefully!!!! bend the leaf pin back into position, if you find a dislocated leaf pin. photo02.jpg
    8. ALSO CHECK THE REST OF LEAFS!!! Replace the inner plastic shell, making sure to not damage the leaf pins.
    9. Replace the 12 screws.
    10. Replace the SIM, microSD, stylus, and back cover. START THE MACHINE!!! ...working isn't it??? :)

Cheers!!! :highfive:

THANK YOU @SchecterRocker (hope you won't blame me for using your photos and instructions) AND @xda-developers