Galaxy Nexus vs Galaxy S2: Comparison reviews make me love my SGS2 even more

Search This thread

Buck Shot

Mar 2, 2010
Old N1 user thats stuck on a Vibrant via Asurion with an upgrade just sitting there.... i WANT a Galaxy Nexus. Having an N1 i understand the updates and dev support and there is nothing like it. These phones are very similar and while i am getting impatient to wether or not the GN will ever release for t mobile on an upgrade wether it be best buy or in store, i am comsidering a GS2. See, i think they are very similar, and i know im ganna root and run C9 anyways so will it really be that much of a difference? I also refuse tto pay 650+ for a phone

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
See, i think they are very similar, and i know im ganna root and run C9 anyways so will it really be that much of a difference? I also refuse tto pay 650+ for a phone

Go play with an SGS2 then go play with a Galaxy Nexus and you will be surprised at how similar they really are. Especially once they are both running the same ROM. I think you should just stay on T-Mobile, go get yourself an SGS2 and call it a day. That's what I would do.

phewizzo

Aug 29, 2007
New York City
I was reading over at the Galaxy Nexus forums and people are loving the phone cuz of ICS and the screen. And people are hating the low speaker and very cheap feel of it, also people are getting very bad signal strength.. occassional lag here and there. I really dont think you should love a phone cuz it has ICS cuz in a month most of the newer phones are gonna have ICS including our phone. So if ICS is the only good thing people can find about the GN then im really glad I bought this phone, because this phone is fast as lightning and the standard resolution isnt a problem for me cuz all apps work for it perfectly. Also even though the ti OMAP on the GN is a A9 its pretty bad also on the droids that have that chip are not fast... 2 thumbs up for the Galaxy S 2. A phone that came out almost a year ago is still killing everything that is coming out now.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

OriginalMemnock

Aug 4, 2010
All I had to do was spend some time on the Galaxy Nexus forums here on XDA and became even more happy that I got a GS2. Some of the things a lot of people are complaining about are a pretty big deal to me and would really annoy me:

- abysmal battery life
- weak radio
- low volume in ear and speakerphone
- no noticeable auto-focus on camera resulting in blurry pictures

For a mobile phone, any mobile phone, those are what I would consider deal-breakers. No matter how great a phone is, if I have to keep recharging it or turning off key features (some people going as far as choosing to not use 4G to save battery) just so I don't have to recharge it 2-3 times a day is ridiculous. A weak radio means I may not be able to use the phone when I need it most. And low volume is just a personal pet peeve of mine. A 5MP camera is bad enough, for it to have poor auto-focus.. that's just unforgivable. Luckily the GS2 doesn't suffer any of those problems.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:34 PM ----------

I was reading over at the Galaxy Nexus forums and people are loving the phone cuz of ICS and the screen. And people are hating the low speaker and very cheap feel of it, also people are getting very bad signal strength.. occassional lag here and there. I really dont think you should love a phone cuz it has ICS cuz in a month most of the newer phones are gonna have ICS including our phone. So if ICS is the only good thing people can find about the GN then im really glad I bought this phone, because this phone is fast as lightning and the standard resolution isnt a problem for me cuz all apps work for it perfectly. Also even though the ti OMAP on the GN is a A9 its pretty bad also on the droids that have that chip are not fast... 2 thumbs up for the Galaxy S 2. A phone that came out almost a year ago is still killing everything that is coming out now.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

Yeah really. All the positives are about ICS, not the actual phone itself. As I suspected, once the GS2 gets ICS, it's going to blow the GN out of the water.

knut150

Jan 20, 2011
Like a lot of members I’ve followed the news about the Nexus, I want ICS, went as far as to order the unlocked version but got upset about the lack of communication from the seller that I ended up not getting the thing; today I saw it in the flesh (although the VRZ version) and damn!! I am glad I saved myself the 650 plus. If the main reason is the software I can wait a few months

heygrl

Nov 20, 2009
Las Vegassss
The GN being on Verizon Worthless, them delaying it, slapping their ugly logo on it, having exclusivity on it was enough for me to stop caring
Sent from my SGH-T839 using Tapatalk

Reactions: kenvan19

wendellc

Oct 10, 2009
We have both. I love my nexus. The screen is killer, the HD resolution on the nexus alone was good enough of a reason for me to get it. And yes you can tell the difference between the screens. Maybe a few months from now they will release the HD version of the s2, but as of now my wife will have to settle for 800×400.

I have no complaints about the nexus, best phone out! I don't regret shelling out $690 for it either.

I do miss wifi calling....

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Last edited:

safeplayer22

Jan 23, 2009
New York
When tmobile comes out with a subsidized GN, then I'll think about it. No way am I paying that much for a phone with simply a better screen and ICS.

However overall, I would prefer the GN over the GSII. But overall I love the GSII.

kenvan19

Dec 7, 2010
The nexus will have more support from the developer community, so if you are addicted to flashing multiple types of roms go with the nexus. Most average flashers pick cm or miui anyway though. I really love the idea of contact-less charging on the nexus. I wish more phones had this feature but i'm happy with my sgs2.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using XDA App

More support than what? I the Nexus S wasn't even carrier branded and it had like 3 versions of cm7 named differently floating around. Even now a year after release most of the "roms" available are cm7 clones with some theming or now ics based stuff that's not really stable enough to be a daily driver.

Sent from my Hercules with xda Premium.

tigerz0202

Apr 16, 2010
slidell, la.
IMO the Nexus is a horrible looking device ,kinda looks like a boat paddle with out the handle,although it has ICS it has the most bland looking Ics you will see. 5mp camera ....eeeh some are saying it takes better pics but i would have to see it in person ....NO External storage is the biggest fail for this phone why would they do that Idk , another reason is SGS3 is already in the works and if leaked specs are true it will blow this phone away i really see no reason to get this phone unless i was a verizon customer and i had an upgrade and probably wouldnt even do it then . Even if tmobile gets a variant im staying with my Gs2 really dont see the need to upgrade when my phone is getting ics .so all thats left is the screen that this phone has over my GS2 and thats not enough,I would have just kept my sensation if that was the most imortant thing

Last edited:
Reactions: rpnunez

OriginalMemnock

Aug 4, 2010
Wow the Engadget review is pretty damning of the LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus. Noticeably the abysmally low Quadrant and Sunspider scores compared to the HSPA+ version of the Galaxy Nexus, and even worst being the battery life.

from http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/16/verizon-galaxy-nexus-review/

And then there's the battery life. It's well known that LTE can put a real hurting on phone longevity and that appears to be the case here as well, our Nexus struggling to hold on to a charge in day-to-day use with all antennas firing. We've as of yet had very limited time with the thing, but in our 24 hours of intensive testing we had to reach for the charger multiple times. Using Google Navigation with LTE enabled? The battery drained so fast our in-car charger couldn't keep up, leaving us unsure of which exit to take off the 101.

^ WOW that is BAD. As I said before, what good is a super-advanced phone if the battery life is so bad you can't even use the features you bought the phone for?

More bad news:

Data rates are predictably well into double-digits, but consistently slower than other LTE devices we had hanging around. Your performance will vary based on your region but average downloads hovered around 14Mbps, with uploads around 10. We saw peak speeds higher, up to around 18Mbps down, but a Droid Charge at the same location was pulling down 25 - 30Mbps. That is, needless to say, a significant difference.

Last edited:

lowandbehold

Feb 26, 2011
Vandling, PA
Im guessing most people in this thread own an SGSII. The nexus is the best thing out right now, that is a fact. Is it so much better than the SGSII to switch to it? Probably not. Most of the issues people are talking about (speaker volume, lag, battery life) will all be fixed beyond expectation in custom ROM's.

One guy even compared the lag to his rooted custom Rom'd SGSII...really? We all know stock android can be laggy. And yes, the Nexus will have more development. When a phone has 14 variations (international, tmobile, skyrocket, AT&T) and the ROM's aren't interchangable what do you think is going to happen?

And for the complaints about the Verizon version...what do you expect? Verizon and CDMA f**king suck.

Reactions: blasian shadows

sn0warmy

Jul 26, 2010
Boulder, CO
Well, in a strange turn of events. I snagged a free unlocked Galaxy Nexus. Google was in our office today for a quarterly update since we are one of their direct partners. They gave a free Galaxy Nexus to the client leads of the 3 biggest (highest ad spend) accounts. Luckily I was one of the 3.

Up until now I have been pretty harsh on the Galaxy Nexus. And even after playing with it for the past few hours, I still do not see a big difference between the GN and the SGS2. I still stick to the fact that I would not pay an extra dime for it over my SGS2. However, I am going to continue to use them both over the next few days to see which one I truly prefer.

I previously stated the Galaxy Nexus that I tested in the Verizon store was really laggy. However, the one I have fresh out of the packaging is as fast as my SGS2 running Juggernaut. (Not noticeably faster by any means though)

I am going to hang onto both for a while since I have no costs to recoup and feel that it would be nice to have a backup on hand just in case. I think I'm actually going to post a thread for those wanting me to test certain apps or processes on each of the phones for comparison purposes.

P1000584.jpg

P1000588.jpg

Last edited:

jcagara08

Oct 15, 2011
Lucky You! congrats!

Well, in a strange turn of events. I snagged a free unlocked Galaxy Nexus. Google was in our office today for a quarterly update since we are one of their direct partners. They gave a free Galaxy Nexus to the client leads of the 3 biggest (highest ad spend) accounts. Luckily I was one of the 3.

Up until now I have been pretty harsh on the Galaxy Nexus. And even after playing with it for the past few hours, I still do not see a big difference between the GN and the SGS2. I still stick to the fact that I would not pay an extra dime for it over my SGS2. However, I am going to continue to use them both over the next few days to see which one I truly prefer.

I previously stated the Galaxy Nexus that I tested in the Verizon store was really laggy. However, the one I have fresh out of the packaging is as fast as my SGS2 running Juggernaut. (Not noticeably faster by any means though)

I am going to hang onto both for a while since I have no costs to recoup and feel that it would be nice to have a backup on hand just in case. I think I'm actually going to post a thread for those wanting me to test certain apps or processes on each of the phones for comparison purposes.

P1000584.jpg

P1000588.jpg

whoah well what do you know, if it ain't the unexpected freebies in the USA, that's why I envy your country for goods, if you choose the Galaxy Nexus, feel free to ship to me, I'd handle delivery FTW
WOW congrats on your new phone!
You spent like thousands of dollars for creating an ad? what a great company your working with!

Nokstar

Dec 18, 2011
guys...i have a verizon galaxy nexus. People that are saying it has lag when they try it in the store are oblivious to the fact that some of the live wallpapers were NOT optimized for ics....THIS is where the lag comes from. "Phase Beam" live wallpaper is one of two of the wallpapers if im not mistaken...are the only ones optimized for ics and they run LAGLESS...snappier and smoother than even the gs2 ( i own a epic touch as well).

I can tell you right now that the nexus runs BETTER than the gs2 in real world use..i wouldnt go by the benchmarks. Imo the only thing more prefereed on the gs2 for me is the camera.

I can post a video of the difference between wallpapers right here to put your worries to rest...just let me know.

GnusNat

Oct 23, 2011
Wow congrats man, two top-end phones we're all in envy!
Also I agree, the Galaxy Nexus seems underwhelming... I mean, 8 mp camera vs 5 mp, c'mon Google...

the_fish

May 12, 2008
People in this thread are biased as hell. The GN isn't worse than the S2. Sure it looks like it from the data at this point, but the GN is still using software rendering and ICS is still in its early phases, which is why benchmarks scores are so bad. IMO, the GN is better by only its chipset already. Also, a reason for many people to choose the GN over the S2 is the support by google. If you need a good camera buy a damn hardware camera, the GN's camera is better for quick snapshots which is in my opinion what a phone's camera is used for 99% of the time.

Nokstar

Dec 18, 2011
Apparently the site wont let me post the video i uploaded because i need 8 posts total before i can post outside links. Would it be out of line for me to post 6 quick posts to get over this barrier? Dont want to anger the site gods lol.

xbanhcuonx

Jan 29, 2011
So here's my comparison after shopping around in my area. I narrowed my carrier decision down to Verizon or T-mobile due to past experiences with AT&T and Sprint (ATT blows overall in my area, Sprint's data speeds are horrendous)

I went to the T-mobile and Verizon stores yesterday to do comparisons on the networks and in my area, t-mobile wins hands down. Their 4G HSPA+ speeds were screaming and faster than Verizon's 4G LTE in my area. I ran several speed tests on several 4g phones in each location and I was averaging about 17 Mbps down and 1.5 up on t-mobile and around 5 Mbps and 600k up on Verizon's 4G LTE. I also had full bars on t-mobile and Verizon had just barely 1-3 bars and I noticed the phones in the Verizon store periodically losing 4g data signals.

I then went on to compared the phones they had on hand. As I said I'm sick of waiting for the Nexus, and there are some things about it that I just flat out don't like.

The Motorola Razr:

The Razr had the best audio of the three (without headphones), but everything else was sub-par. The pixelation on the screen is highly noticeable and made for uncomfortable reading of text. Two Razr phones I tested in the store kept dropping data connection, and took the longest to load my test youtube video (the Jeb Corliss "Grinding the Crack" video in HD.. check it out if you have not, it's awesome). I also noticed the Razr screen got very, very hot after just a few seconds of playing said youtube video. The phone though thin is uncomfortable to hold in the hand. Not so much because it's wide, but the thinness of it actually makes it uncomfortable. I'd rather a design a bit more ergonomic.

The HTC Rezound:

The Rezound had good clarity on the screen, but the colors were very pale and washed out by comparison. It did give me the best reading experience overall, but the videos just lacked vibrancy and punch. I had my kids with me and even they immediately noticed the difference. I also found the Rezound to be too bulky for what is a state-of-the-art phone. I currently have a bulky phone, I don't want another. The audio quality without headphones was good, but not as good as on the Razr. It was about the same as on the S2. I'm not particularly in love with the HTC skin, it just doesn't do it for me. It seemed to have a better antennae than the Razr as it didn't lose 4g like the Razr did and had 3 solid bars for the most part (still not as good as t-mobile's offering). If the phone were less bulky it might have been my phone of choice, but the physical design of it is just a real turn-off.

Samsung Galaxy S2:

A lot has been made about the Nexus and other phone's high resolutions and PPI, so I went into the S2 expecting to be underwhelmed like I was with the Razr but I was pleasantly surprised. The screen in this phone is just gorgeous, even at the lower resolution and PPI. Reading e-book or browsing the web was a lot clearer than the Razr and almost on par with the Rezound. There is some pixelation but you have to look really, really hard to see it (unlike the Razr in which the pixelation is immediately noticeable). The colors were the best of the three phones. Everything was vibrant and beautiful. The Jeb Corliss video looked absolutely beautiful in HD streaming from Youtube and also loaded the fastest (again thanks to t-mobiles 4g network). The phone also felt the best in hand. Samsung found a nice balance between thinness and ergonomics. The metal outlining the T-mobile version also gives the phone a premium feel.

The camera on all three were very good in doors, though I didn't do any extensive, strenuous test on either.

So I ordered me a Samsung Galaxy S2 from t-mobile. T-mobile seemed to have the best reception and seemed to have the most positive carrier reviews for my area on cellreception dot com (can't post links). The phone itself just felt right, and overall I got the best deal price-wise of all the carriers with my corporate discount.

I read your earlier post about the old days where T-Mobile's service (3G/4G) were horrible, and I can attest to that. I have always been in a great service area for all of T-Mobile's latest and greatest services, from Edge-4G but I was always dissapointed with the real world results. On my G1, I was getting a max of 200KBPS. On my G2 (last year), I was getting about 200-400KBPS max on 4G.

Now a year later from the G2, I have the Galaxy S2 and it blows everything I've ever had out of the water. I've tested it in the same location as the aforementioned phones and I have gotten a max of 31MBPS. For daily use, I get an average of 10MBPS (7-14MBPS). It's really great, I love it!

The only thing that interests me about the Galaxy Nexus is the higher resolution screen. I came from an iPhone 4 and the only thing I miss about is is the resolution. Although I love the SGS2 screen, and it is really beautiful, I think the iPhone 4 had better overall quality, but very marginal.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Both phones have their positives and negatives.

The PenTile Super AMOLED HD vs. the Super AMOLED+ display is subjective. Some people like the higher resolution, some people would rather do without the green tint.

Both are NFC enabled, so that's a moot point, too.

About the processors: People in this thread seem to think that every single mobile SOC uses its own native ARM ISA. This is false. The TI OMAP 4460's processor and the processor in the Exynos (And for that matter, the Tegra 2's and the Apple A5's) are the same (Save for certain cases like NEON implementation, which most, but not all SOC's do. The Tegra 2 doesn't.) The Snapdragon's is not, as Qualcomm licenses the ability to design their own ARM based ISA from ARM Holdings (Think AMD and Intel). http://www.anandtech.com/show/3632/anands-google-nexus-one-review/9

Between Cortex-A9 SOC's, the difference in performance and benchmarks is either down to the GPU (The Exynos uses the Mali-400, the TI uses the PowerVR SGX 540, the Tegra 2 uses the Geforce ULP, and the A5 uses the PowerVR SGX543MP2), software optimization, clock rate, or certain cases where NEON would provide a benefit.

Performance per clock has the Cortex A9 leading the Snapdragon chip in most cases. This isn't Qualcomm's fault. The Snapdragon was never designed to compete with the A9, but rather, the A8. This is why benchmarks seem to have the T-Mobile SGSII coming in last place between the carrier variants. In real world performance, though, it's relatively a moot point. Most software is still being written for the 1GHz single core crowd. Any dual core device should remain hardware relevant for quite some time.

As far as GPU performance is concerned... the Adreno 220 /should/ be more powerful than the SGX540 the Galaxy Nexus uses, but software optimization can provide a key role here.

I've heard mixed views over the camera in the Galaxy Nexus. From what I've gathered, at its best, the camera can snap clearer, more color accurate shots than the SGSII at its best, but it's easier to take rubbish shots than the SGSII's. The resolution of the CMOS sensor means almost nothing in terms of raw image quality, and it's silly to compare cameras based on it.

The Galaxy Nexus doesn't use Gorilla Glass, but some sort of unknown manufacturer's "reenforced glass", like the Nexus S. I'll hold off until we hear some clear reports on how durable/scratch resistant this glass really is.

The biggest reason to go with the Galaxy Nexus would definitely be software updates, though. Obviously, it's the first phone with Ice Cream Sandwich, which is a massive improvement over Gingerbread in every way. And then, it will get consistent updates, as they are managed by Google instead of the manufacturer/carrier. (Remember how hard it was just to get an official Froyo on the US versions of the original Galaxy S?) Samsung claims that it's trying to clean up its act on that front, but it's not entirely up to them. It's up to the carriers, and they'd rather us sign onto new contracts with newer phones. We'll see.

There's no SD card slot on the Nexus. That's a big thing for most people.

Audio performance is interesting. The Yamaha DAC the Galaxy S II uses has been called a downgrade from the original Wolfson DAC the Galaxy/Nexus S used. I haven't heard reports on the Galaxy Nexus' DAC, so we'll just have to wait and see.

There will definitely be more ROM support for the Galaxy Nexus. Two reasons.

1. It's not split up into four (five?) different models, some of which have different hardware altogether.

2. AOSP Android. Everything running on the Galaxy Nexus has been open sourced from the beginning. (GAPPS excluded). Meaning there won't be any driver issues as per the SGSII.

If both phones were out right now and available for T-Mobile and I'd have to chose, I'd probably pick the Galaxy Nexus just for the ICS and ROM support. That's not to say I'm unhappy with my SGSII, but running a vastly superior version of Android and being able to tinker around with it that much more is worth it (to me) over my own personal preference for the non PenTile SAMOLED display and the Gorilla Glass.
    I'm most likely going to own both of them. I love the nexus line of phones. Nothing like stock. They are both amazing from what I have seen and will decide which is better for myself after using both.

There is enough hate in the world. Why can't we all get along here ...?

You do realize that both of those reviews are of the i9100, right? That phone is really a COMPLETELY different phone than the SGH-T989! There needs to be a comparison to the T-Mobile US version of the SGSII.

Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is larger

The Nexus is larger in height but not width, it is in fact thinner in width.

, has an inferior screen (supposedly)

Where the heck did you read that? Are you talking about Gorilla Glass? It has a reinforced glass, Google wouldn't let them put **** on their latest and greatest after the Nexus S flop

, and lacks the ability to upgrade the internal storage due to lack of an SD card slot

Who uses more than 32GB?

Are you still planning on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available? If so, why?

YES. Because it is a Nexus. ICS. Updates BEFORE ANY OTHER PHONE GET'S THEM. Will have HUGE developer support. Best display available. There's more, can't think of them now.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:11 AM ----------

Yeah, the 5mp camera appeared to be a turn off to me at first as well. But I have seen some comparison pictures taken with both phones and the 5mp camera on the Nexus does seem to be a bit clearer than the 8mp camera on the SGS2.

However, I don't typically choose a phone due to its camera. So this doesn't really matter to me.

I agree totally. When I first read the stats with a 5mp camera first thought was, "why"? But I have too seen the comparisons. I'm willing to get they upgraded the optics. All that aside, I don't take many pictures with my phone. I use my camera for that so it's a minimal spec.

---------- Post added at 08:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 AM ----------

Ya I was debating these two for awhile. I went Tmob GS2 and don't regret it one bit...better cpu, gpu, modem, SD card, camera, lighter, smaller, etc. For me a phone any larger than the GS2 and I not interested, it has taken some getting use to the larger size in my hand coming from a Nexus S.

Hmmm...Better CPU - You sure? This CPU (TMO SGSII) is pain to do anything productive with.

GPU - Ok, may be a LITTLE better, but I doubt you would ever notice the difference. As far as I've read that GPU performs just fine for any game available on Android.

Modem - What are you talking about? The HSPA+ speed?

SD Card, yeah, talked about that already.

Lighter - Um, NO, they weigh the same.

Camera - More pixels means **** if the camera itself cant handle them.

ETC - What else? You say you can't handle a larger phone? I thought this thing was huge when I got it and wanted to go back to my Sensation but in time I grew to like the size. Just FYI, the Nexus is taller but skinnier. Thinner too by .6mm.
    Like many others, I've been drooling over the Galaxy Nexus since it was announced. However, the more I read about it, the less interested I am to get one. At this point it seems that the only real upside to moving from the SGS2 to the Galaxy Nexus is ICS. But we all know there will be an ICS port available for the SGS2 within the upcoming months anyway, so that's a moot point.

Two comparison reviews I read:
    http://www.pocket-lint.com/news/42623/galaxy-nexus-vs-samsung-galaxy-s-2

http://www.knowyourmobile.com/comparisons/1098323/samsung_galaxy_nexus_vs_samsung_galaxy_s2.html

Considering that the Galaxy Nexus is larger, has an inferior screen (supposedly), and lacks the ability to upgrade the internal storage due to lack of an SD card slot, I'm really losing sight on the appeal for the Galaxy Nexus.

Are you still planning on upgrading to the Galaxy Nexus when it becomes available? If so, why?
    Plus the Nexus only have a 5MP camera. One reason why I was considering the Nexus is because of the NFC technology Android Beam. I know a lot of people may need the extra space of a micro SD card slot, but a lot of people don't even have a micro SD card in their GS2 just because it doesn't come with one. Either way you go, you will be getting a good phone :)