aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
Feedly
Pros - best interface, fast, syncs with Google Reader and hence across devices

Con- no offline support

Galaxy Note @ mobile

hx4700 user

Sep 18, 2007
I just use Google reader on the Web in Opera. Set it for the mobile interface so it shows 9 headers at a time, and and can easily mark them read as a batch. Syncs across N7, PC, and laptop and HD2 phone. Opera best due to its fantastic re-flow of text on zooming.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using xda app-developers app

fruits99

Jun 10, 2011
Which reader supports image gallery mode?
Basically I want the reader to extract images from the feed and displays them as a picture viewer would, allowing me to flip through the images with a finger swipe.
Reader HD does that, but no full screen image display, only small size and thumbnails.

Jalom

May 23, 2008
Hi everyone,

What about giving some reasons why you prefer such or such app ?

On my tablet, I use gReader, because :

- I can use wipe gestures to go from an article to the next
- it has off-line reading capabilities
- it has various views and themes
- it has a dual pane tablet view
- it syncs 2 ways
- sync speed is pretty decent
- I can start reading during sync
- I can browse one feed, or one category, or all the feeds

Main drawback : per feed settings suck

On my phone, I use FeedR, because :

- < 1Mb in size
- GREAT per feed settings, such as the maximum number of articles to download, or the choice to download images
- it has off-line reading capabilities
- image re-dimensioning actually works
- it has 2 way sync
- slick, simple and clean interface with light and dark themes

Main drawbacks : no wipe gestures, no possibility to browse an entire category (each feed must be consulted individually)

If gReader pro had the same per feed settings as FeedR, I would use it exclusively on both devices.

tcat007

Jul 3, 2011
Austin, TX
I happen to be playing with an iPad at Best buy a couple days ago and thought Flipboard was really nice. I just started using it, and just tossed Taptu which I was using. I like the font on Flipboard, real easy to read, and really nice animation.

I do have a browser link to Greader, but seldom use it.

heyitsejohn

May 27, 2012
right now I'm using ReaderHD, but I'm looking into Minimal Reader.

on my iPad I use Reeder - gorgeous interface, offline capabilities, rock solid, and quick. i haven't yet found anything on Android in terms of feed readers that can match its UID and feature set. I hope someone gets on it.

aalupatti

Feb 20, 2011
Feedly for me. Love the google reader sync ability and hence very easy to use across different devices.

Sent from my Nexus 7

HoochieCoo

Dec 6, 2010
I've been a long time Feedly fan. Since the last big update though, I've had this problem of it marking an article as saved when I swipe. It's driving my batty. Before Feedly, I used gReader Pro a lot. I will give some of these others a shot. Reader HD looks nice.

walesmd

Nov 17, 2010
San Antonio
Press was just recently reviewed and it is absolutely beautiful. Some other great news apps, most of which also sync to your Google Reader account: Zite, Flipboard and Taptu.

guthrien

Feb 26, 2011
Press was just recently reviewed and it is absolutely beautiful. Some other great news apps, most of which also sync to your Google Reader account: Zite, Flipboard and Taptu.

Nice call on press, I hope it works as good as it looks. I have too many feeds to use readers not specifically made for it like Flipboard. Reader HD has remained king for me, looking good with awesome features.

Oscar-Mark

May 14, 2012
Sweden
I use Taptu, but many articles are wrong and with wrong images so I'm kinda thinking of changing.

Try GoodNews it has 100% Holo UI and supports Podcasts

kerzhentvec

Dec 16, 2012
+1 for greader pro. The integration with Twitter and Pocket is just great. I'm using Press these days, visually it's really good, but I don't quite find it as "productive" as greader pro.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    What don't you like about JustReader? My go to tablet reader. Pictures show up pretty good, though not perfect. As for why an app doesn't do what you want it to do, trust me, it's a stupidly hard thing to do. You'd think it would be built in to android to make that an option, but by the time you are allowed to measure pixel size, all the automatic calls have passed. It takes some rewriting of how views measure themselves. I went through that with my Read It Later app I was working on before I canned it when Pocket came out.

For the apps that overcame that issue (JustReader being one of them) you then have the problem of online pictures being small. A 320x480 picture would be about 2.7" diagonally on a 7" 1280*800 screen. If you look at a feed like The Verge that uses large pictures, you will seem them fill edge to edge (on JustReader). However, other places use much smaller pictures. Then you have the problem that a lot of places send smaller pictures over RSS. For example, LifeHacker uses ~600x400 pictures on their website, but half that size on their RSS page. I will say I wish Just Reader handled images a little better in that it still centered the picture above the text (not hard to do, but I guess that was the devs design choice), but it scales pictures up to, but not past the devices native resolution, but it cannot magically make pictures higher res. None of these can. The alternative is super pixelated larger pictures.

*I don't mean to sound like a JustReader fanboy, it's simply the app I use and have experience with. I'm sure many of the other apps handle this the same way. I also feel that this is the most "Reeder" like app I've used. In fact, I prefer it due to the more customizable swipe gestures.
    gReaderPro. Best RSS reader available for Android from the functionality point of view, if you subscribe to dozens of feeds like I do it is really the way to go. If your RSS needs are more casual stuff like Flipboard and Currents or Pulse may suffice (prettier to look at).
    I use Feedly, works great on android and on desktop in Firefox or chrome

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus
    Use Taptu that can integrate with Google reader and social networks etc :)
    ReaderHD. That's my favorite RSS reader app..

Sent from my Nexus 7 using XDA Premium HD app