Terrible battery performance

Search This thread

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
I recently got a razr HD and i noticed my battery barely lasts a day. I had a flip phone before and it would last a week on one charge, i know i wont get the same type of battery life. I downloaded juice defender and set it to turn off my wifi/data when not in use. It has helped a bit since before that my phone would lose 2% battery an hour just in standby. I haven't downloaded any task killers, but when i'm done with my apps i go in to the settings and close them.

Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-14.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-18.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-22-26.jpg

Screenshot_2013-01-07-18-23-27.jpg

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
Two things to fix,

one, adjust your brightness to auto. The higher the brightness, the faster your battery dies, that is massive screen use.

two, poor wifi/cellular reception = ****ty battery, the phone uses more power to lock onto signal.

Dont use task killers, they do more harm than good.

I adjusted the brightness on my tbolt and I doubled battery life

Last edited:
Reactions: steve221

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
Two things to fix,

one, adjust your brightness to auto. The higher the brightness, the faster your battery dies, that is massive screen use.

two, poor wifi/cellular reception = ****ty battery, the phone uses more power to lock onto signal.

Hmmmm. i wasn't very through with my post, but i have mine set on auto brightness. My wifi at home is usually 4 bars and 3 if im in the basement. I get 4 bars LTE for 95% of my day. In the main building on campus i get 1 bar if im lucky but usually its out of service so i depend on the wifi. The only thing i use my phone for is listening to music on my way to school, texting, email (but i set it to sync every hour), some light internet browsing, and calls.

Edit: Also on a sidenote is the smart actions useful? It seems like it does the same thing like juice defender.

Last edited:

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
Hmmmm. i wasn't very through with my post, but i have mine set on auto brightness. My wifi at home is usually 4 bars and 3 if im in the basement. I get 4 bars LTE for 95% of my day. In the main building on campus i get 1 bar if im lucky but usually its out of service so i depend on the wifi. The only thing i use my phone for is listening to music on my way to school, texting, email (but i set it to sync every hour), some light internet browsing, and calls.

Edit: Also on a sidenote is the smart actions useful? It seems like it does the same thing like juice defender.

yes, smart actions does the same thing with less battery,

UP your sync time! The more often you sync the more battery you use! I would put it on 4 hours and only sync if you need something important.

Turn of your cellular radios at school and that will help battery

Last edited:

Motorolalover

Jan 2, 2013
Toronto
Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra
Clearly your screen is consuming most of the battery. Try lowering your brightness, If you used it to text and kept the screen on for long time.. it might have consumed battery in that period. Not sure if its helpful or not .. but here are my battery stats after a normal usage day. :)

Attachments

• Screenshot.jpg
    Screenshot.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 748

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
yes, smart actions does the same thing with less battery,

UP your sync time! The more often you sync the more battery you use! I would put it on 4 hours and only sync if you need something important.

Turn of your cellular radios at school and that will help battery

The 3 hours in sync shouldn't be eating up my battery though, but i guess every bit helps.

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
This is after taking it off the charger at 0800, I use my phone all day with limited smart actions.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using xda app-developers app

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357616346776.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357616346776.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 744
Last edited:

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
This is after taking it off the charger at 0800, I use my phone all day with limited smart actions.

Do you think its my battery? I got suckered into the futureshop warranty and they said since my battery can't be replaced if anything happens to the battery they will replace my phone for one of an equal value or greater if i pay the difference.

Borderpatrol1987

Dec 5, 2012
CIncinnati
Do you think its my battery? I got suckered into the futureshop warranty and they said since my battery can't be replaced if anything happens to the battery they will replace my phone for one of an equal value or greater if i pay the difference.

nah, just change the sync settings to longer and set your brightness to auto and see what happens over the next few days and report back.

senergy

Oct 26, 2006
I noticed the biggest difference when turning off WiFi and mobile locations.

Also 4.1.2 seemed to increase my battery life dramatically too.

steiger

Dec 22, 2012
Salvador
I don't think setting the brightness to Auto is the best for saving battery. When in auto, the light sensor is turned on and some processing has to be done to define the brightness every time the screen is turned on. And that consumes energy.

I always keep mine at 50% and, when in very bright places, I go for 100% brightness.

Last edited:

steve221

Jan 7, 2013
Hi again, today i disabled my wifi and data manually whenever i wasn't using them and manually enabled it whenever i needed it. It worked a lot better and i left my house with 85% charge and i used my phone a little bit more than yesterday and it used up a little bit over 25%. I also played around with my juicedefender settings and hopefully it will work better. I will set my brightness to 50%. I'll post back in a few days. And is my battery working properly, because i honestly expected it to last a lot longer. Also thanks for the suggestions.

animez

Mar 20, 2008
Knoxville, TN
Google Pixel 6
I really like 2x battery for controlling battery usage by data connections. There a light version as well. It basically turns off mobile data when the screen is off and turns it on when the screen is turned on. It can do the same for wifi as well. The light version will reconnect and sync everything every 15 minutes (or you can turn sync off). I paid for the full version and it allows you to change the sync time to longer increments. I use it mostly because I don't want to have to remember to toggle and where I work the 4G signal isn't so great.

Sent from my RAZR MAXX HD

DenusAndre

Jan 9, 2013
I recently got a razr HD and i noticed my battery barely lasts a day. I had a flip phone before and it would last a week on one charge, i know i wont get the same type of battery life. I downloaded juice defender and set it to turn off my wifi/data when not in use. It has helped a bit since before that my phone would lose 2% battery an hour just in standby. I haven't downloaded any task killers, but when i'm done with my apps i go in to the settings and close them.

View attachment 1626090

View attachment 1626091

View attachment 1626092

View attachment 1626093

Have the same problem! Brightness is low, internet is off, when I don't need it, still the battery is weak!

alcaloide_

Nov 9, 2011
Mexico
You said you had a flip phone before and the battery lasted a week, is this your first smartphone?

Smartphones have a 24 hour battery life at best, This phone has an above average battery I have had 48 hrs out of it..

other things to get in mind is the ROM you are using, I see you are on stock Ice Cream Sandwich, ICS have a good battery life, I have tried Telstra Jellybean and it was not as good, I also get excellent battery life with epinter's CM10

Last edited:

idless

Jul 5, 2012
I am very satisfied with the battery life! I also recommend x2 battery, which seems to prolong battery life with little to no impact on the usability of the phone (at most a potential short delay on emails when not on wifi). I generally use wifi whenever possible which use much less battery than the mobile modem. Also I have disabled a few stock apps that I don't use e.g. the non-gmail (stock) email app. The phone is not rooted and using stock o2 JB rom.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2013-01-05-11-51-21.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-05-11-51-21.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 439
  • Screenshot_2013-01-05-11-51-25.jpg
    Screenshot_2013-01-05-11-51-25.jpg
    22.2 KB · Views: 382

alcaloide_

Nov 9, 2011
Mexico
I am very satisfied with the battery life! I also recommend x2 battery, which seems to prolong battery life with little to no impact on the usability of the phone (at most a potential short delay on emails when not on wifi). I generally use wifi whenever possible which use much less battery than the mobile modem. Also I have disabled a few stock apps that I don't use e.g. the non-gmail (stock) email app. The phone is not rooted and using stock o2 JB rom.

Wow sick battery life, do you have the MAXX HD?

idless

Jul 5, 2012
I think it is as well. I admit it may be a little "inflated" by using Wi-Fi mainly rather but impressive nevertheless. Wi-Fi or not I generally experience good battery life. I have the normal non-Maxx edition bought in Germany September last year.

Sent from my XT925 using xda app-developers app

lucidvtec

Jul 28, 2010
Love my RAZR HD

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1357870926389.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357870926389.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 390
  • uploadfromtaptalk1357870938815.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1357870938815.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 331

bigblueyeti

Nov 14, 2010
Melbourne
Also have a look using Better Battery Stats app to see what your most battery hungry wakelocks are, especially Kernel wakelocks.

I had issue when I first got my razr as I was using it on a network that doesn't have Fast Dormancy yet the phone has fast dormancy enabled, so i had to freeze it and battery life improved a little.

But unfortunately fo me the main problem was where i live. I'm in a city, so it's not a lack of cell towers, but for some reason at home my battery usage is insane while connected to mobile data, 9%-11% an hour with no use compared to 2%-5% elsewhere around the city. (Am thinking it must be getting bounced from tower t tower trying to get a better H+ connection) As soon as I switch over to wi-fi tho (which I have set to always on,) my battery usage drops to about 0.8%-1.2% per hour in standby.

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Two things to fix,

nah, just change the sync settings to longer and set your brightness to auto and see what happens over the next few days and report back.
    I noticed the biggest difference when turning off WiFi and mobile locations.

Also 4.1.2 seemed to increase my battery life dramatically too.
    I don't think setting the brightness to Auto is the best for saving battery. When in auto, the light sensor is turned on and some processing has to be done to define the brightness every time the screen is turned on. And that consumes energy.

I always keep mine at 50% and, when in very bright places, I go for 100% brightness.