Touch screen going CRAZY

Search This thread

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
I think I have the weirdest problem with my Sensation XL.

It works fine and sometimes, when I unlock it, the touch screen goes into super frenzy mode and starts doing things on its own. When it's stuck in that mode, I cannot use it, and it clicks buttons around randomly and very fast.
I have seen it open my messages, swipe a long gibberish text and send it (!) or this morning it just opened contacts and deleted one!
I am pretty sure it's all in random because on the keyboard I can see it swiping very randomly around the screen and in a very fast speed.
What on earth is this and how do I stop it? It almost looks like a virus or some sort of spyware but I checked and see nothing malicious installed.

The phone is about 8 months old and is not rooted. Latest firmware installed.(4.0.3 Android version).
The crazy behaviour did not coincide with any updates in software. Just started 3 weeks ago randomly and happened maybe 5 times till now.

The only way to stop your phone going mad and doing something you don't want it to do is to quickly rip the battery off, because you are unable to restart it from the touch screen.

It only happens after you unlock it, not while you're using it and I noticed it happens after a long period of inactivity.

Has anyone had that? Any help is very appreciated!
Thank you

Lexmazter

Retired Recognized Developer
Aug 7, 2011
Timisoara
ASUS ZenFone 7/7 Pro
I think I have the weirdest problem with my Sensation XL.

It works fine and sometimes, when I unlock it, the touch screen goes into super frenzy mode and starts doing things on its own. When it's stuck in that mode, I cannot use it, and it clicks buttons around randomly and very fast.
I have seen it open my messages, swipe a long gibberish text and send it (!) or this morning it just opened contacts and deleted one!
I am pretty sure it's all in random because on the keyboard I can see it swiping very randomly around the screen and in a very fast speed.
What on earth is this and how do I stop it? It almost looks like a virus or some sort of spyware but I checked and see nothing malicious installed.

The phone is about 8 months old and is not rooted. Latest firmware installed.(4.0.3 Android version).
The crazy behaviour did not coincide with any updates in software. Just started 3 weeks ago randomly and happened maybe 5 times till now.

The only way to stop your phone going mad and doing something you don't want it to do is to quickly rip the battery off, because you are unable to restart it from the touch screen.

It only happens after you unlock it, not while you're using it and I noticed it happens after a long period of inactivity.

Has anyone had that? Any help is very appreciated!
Thank you

Lock the screen and open it again. If this doesn't stop it could be a Hardware problem :)
I also had some problems like this on the original firmware, but rarely, it got fixed when i flashed Incredibly Cool Sense v3. You should lock the screen not to rip the battery off, as it's faster and it should work :)

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
Lock the screen and open it again. If this doesn't stop it could be a Hardware problem :)
I also had some problems like this on the original firmware, but rarely, it got fixed when i flashed Incredibly Cool Sense v3. You should lock the screen not to rip the battery off, as it's faster and it should work :)

I don't think it's a hardware issue cause the phone works well most of the time. If it was hardware the problem would be permanent, not intermittent and especially so occasional.

Must be something software related, I did add a lot of games to the phone recently but the problem happens even when these processes aren't running in the background which is puzzling.

Locking and unlocking the screen postpones the problem, it doesn't solve it. As soon as the screen is unlocked, it immediately goes crazy again.
I can only solve it by pulling the battery out, and FAST, before it sends crazy messages to my contacts

chaki-

Apr 3, 2012
Banana Paradise
I don't think it's a hardware issue cause the phone works well most of the time. If it was hardware the problem would be permanent, not intermittent and especially so occasional.

Must be something software related, I did add a lot of games to the phone recently but the problem happens even when these processes aren't running in the background which is puzzling.

Locking and unlocking the screen postpones the problem, it doesn't solve it. As soon as the screen is unlocked, it immediately goes crazy again.
I can only solve it by pulling the battery out, and FAST, before it sends crazy messages to my contacts

Welcome to the club. I had that same issue. But after a hard reset everything is fine with mine.
I assume that there was an app causing all that. If after a hard reset still does that you should send it for repair ;)

stona175

Mar 30, 2010
www.stona175.cba.pl
If you have a screen protector its can be a main reason for this. To stop this behavior you can use power button and wake up it again. Some htc devices have the problem with multi touch screen
Issues of production. Clear the screen products with some alcohol and see than.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
I don't have a screen protector actually and the screen is usually clean.

Must be some app, I wonder there was some way to find out which without having to do a hard reset and lose everything :(

If you have a screen protector its can be a main reason for this. To stop this behavior you can use power button and wake up it again. Some htc devices have the problem with multi touch screen
Issues of production. Clear the screen products with some alcohol and see than.

Sent from my HTC One X using xda premium

chaki-

Apr 3, 2012
Banana Paradise
I don't have a screen protector actually and the screen is usually clean.

Must be some app, I wonder there was some way to find out which without having to do a hard reset and lose everything :(

You can't! There is no way you can find out which one is causing that. Maybe it's some update from something that is causing the freezing.
Last night i did notice something else though. My battery was almost empty and i took my gf charger. She has S2 and after i charged my phone it has started to act strange......... Even today after i pluged the phone to install something from the PC it didn't even notice that i have connected it to the PC. Took me about 20 min in/out to get it running:D I clean the usb slot every week so it is not a dirt issue....

nxss4

Nov 14, 2011
C:\Users
it happens with me when there's water on the screen

Send from my lovely Sensation XL, from a little town in france with a very very slow internet connection. ;)

anders3408

Inactive Recognized Developer
Dec 15, 2009
Jerslev
Mine was also weird when it rains but then I installed android 4.0 Rom and it was much much better ;) it still has the music app problem but I has installed rocket music player and now I don't have any errors at all at with the minfree low memory killer enabled it has high free ram.. still without its holds battery long time and is very smooth ;) defenly try that great Rom ;)

Sent from my HTC Runnymede using xda premium

Reactions: stona175

rawadlayous

Mar 5, 2012
Be careful from contiouas pressure on screen it may drive it to behave strangely .
Try to use lock code before putting the phone into pocket

Sent from my HTC Runnymede using xda app-developers app

nkomp18

Sep 20, 2012
Definitely on to something.

It has happened a few times when it was drizzling and there were tiny droplets on the screen (not proper rain).
It started acting up when I was swiping the screen against the tiny droplets. After locking it, it would stop responding...

Most of the times I find it either non reponsive or acting weird after I take it out of my back pocket and try to unlock it.
Maybe being in my pocket, even locked, affects it somehow.

Is it easy to put another Rom? Do I lose all my apps?

Be careful from contiouas pressure on screen it may drive it to behave strangely .
Try to use lock code before putting the phone into pocket

Sent from my HTC Runnymede using xda app-developers app

onejay09

Mar 3, 2010
manchester
Yes I have the same behaviour, its usually moisture from my hand, greasy buildup, water droplets and or being in my pocket the pressure on the screen makes it act up too, wouldnr worry bout it, not every screen design can be perfect ; )

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

jago25_98

Jul 17, 2007
Yes I have the same behaviour, its usually moisture from my hand, greasy buildup, water droplets and or being in my pocket the pressure on the screen makes it act up too, wouldnr worry bout it, not every screen design can be perfect ; )

Sent from my HTC Desire S using xda app-developers app

sorry to bump an old thread.

I have this problem on a bashed up screen. however... I don't think it can be hardware because if I hard reset its then OK on the next boot...

we need to learn more about touchscreens - how are they calibrated? I think it is reset on boot and also on each lock

onejay09

Mar 3, 2010
manchester
Its the LCD ribbon touching the metal housing, short circuiting the screen, easy fix with a piece of tape over the ribbon
Edit
Also, once the phone heats up resistance builds up with it causing the issue
Sent from my cm9 using xda app-developers app

b2liberty

Nov 14, 2012
alepo
You won't loose any of your data if you made a back up before instaling the new rom
if I was of any help Just hit the thanks button
Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using xda premium

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Mine was also weird when it rains but then I installed android 4.0 Rom and it was much much better ;) it still has the music app problem but I has installed rocket music player and now I don't have any errors at all at with the minfree low memory killer enabled it has high free ram.. still without its holds battery long time and is very smooth ;) defenly try that great Rom ;)

Sent from my HTC Runnymede using xda premium