Magnetic Mount Project

Search This thread

Kenichi

Jan 17, 2010
Recently, I've been getting annoyed with using my Kenu Airframe/Samsung Car Mount having to keep slipping on and off buttons or pushing my mount aside to slip in my phone.

So, I've been reading about the magnetic feature in order to activate the Car Mode/Desktop Mode on our Moto X. So I attempted to build a Magnetic Car Mount this weekend.

I realized that the Moto X itself had a metal band that would activate the Car Mode, however it wasn't strong enough to hold with my Magnet, so I had to place metal plate into a case and put the phone in, which that worked flawlessly. However, the metal plate bulged everywhere so the phone wasn't nice to hold anymore.

Luckily, my dad is a welder, and I worked on molding the metal plate with him, and decided I disliked my Diztronic Frost Case (On the side note, I liked the Matte Black Best). So, I decided to cut a piece out of my Diztronic case that fit with my metal plate. So now the plate curved with the case!

I inserted the metal plate into the cut out, glued it in place, and my roughly build case with a metal plate works like a charm with my Magnetic Mount setup with my Kenu Airframe. I gotta say it's one of the nicest things not to have to fiddle with anything and just take your phone off with a quick snap. This all cost me about $5 + $25 (Which is the Airframe). I'm ordering a new case and Mountek Metal Plating to reduce the thickness hoping that I won't have to cut an insert, but we'll see in the following days. I'll update it when I receive the plates.

I went autocrossing with my car, phone mounted my magnetic mount and at speeds and curves of 60-70 MPH, this thing stuck like glue!

Very pleased overall. Hopefully some of you guys will steer clear from the Griffin Dock for our phones and custom build your own mount :)

Last edited:

Kenichi

Jan 17, 2010
Can you post a pic of it in action?

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Here a few, sorry they are definitely blurry. Fairly tired for the night, tried to get a quick snaps in for an idea. Can't wait when I get my kit together to make everything look professional.

The Kenu can turn 360 degrees to fit whatever direction you'd like the magnet/a device to face. It's held on your air vent.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/tmb0izdpeylz41u/cMXKcCgPcO

Reactions: 1454

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
Here a few, sorry they are definitely blurry. Fairly tired for the night, tried to get a quick snaps in for an idea. Can't wait when I get my kit together to make everything look professional.

The Kenu can turn 360 degrees to fit whatever direction you'd like the magnet/a device to face. It's held on your air vent.

One more question. Any adverse effects from the magnet on the builtin compass or Navi? I've seen other places were people had issues with the magnet setups on those functions. Just wanted to see your thoughts.

Kenichi

Jan 17, 2010
One more question. Any adverse effects from the magnet on the builtin compass or Navi? I've seen other places were people had issues with the magnet setups on those functions. Just wanted to see your thoughts.

I use a digital speedometer/Navigation day to day, haven't had any negative affects that I've seen yet. Speedometer/GPS Speed is right on my Digital Odometer's value, so I can't say I have any issues yet. Let me know if you have any other questions! :laugh: Plus the location of my metal plate in the pictures taken, I am still able to do NFC!

Just got my parts in today for thinner pieces of metal, integrated it into a few of my cases. Plus, I made a new magnet. Quite fun!

Dec 18, 2008
Charlotte
I use a digital speedometer/Navigation day to day, haven't had any negative affects that I've seen yet. Speedometer/GPS Speed is right on my Digital Odometer's value, so I can't say I have any issues yet. Let me know if you have any other questions! :laugh: Plus the location of my metal plate in the pictures taken, I am still able to do NFC!

Just got my parts in today for thinner pieces of metal, integrated it into a few of my cases. Plus, I made a new magnet. Quite fun!

Thanks for all the answers and sharing. The community is great because of people like you.

007shark

Aug 22, 2010
Florida
Thanks for all the answers and sharing. The community is great because of people like you.

I have been using magnetic mounts since my OG Droid. It is nice to see Moto reverted back to magnetic activation of dock mode instead of their smartdocks. I have noticed Moto has switched the polarity of the magnet's activation of car/desk dock modes from the OG Droid. I have an RND dock at home that I glued a magnet to. It automatically activates Daydream when docked. My next project is modifying the RND dock to include HDMI out and USB OTG capability.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Can you post a pic of it in action?

I have been using magnetic mounts since my OG Droid. It is nice to see Moto reverted back to magnetic activation of dock mode instead of their smartdocks. I have noticed Moto has switched the polarity of the magnet's activation of car/desk dock modes from the OG Droid. I have an RND dock at home that I glued a magnet to. It automatically activates Daydream when docked. My next project is modifying the RND dock to include HDMI out and USB OTG capability.