Button press input lag for a few hours a day

Search This thread

ShadowsDemise

Apr 15, 2011
Does anyone else get input lag (that lasts for a few minutes to hours) each day?

Every day (most of the time at around the same time) I'll get horrible input lag that will last from a few minutes to hours that will make the button presses on the remote take 3+ seconds just to register and execute on the Fire TV.

I sideloaded an app to check the CPU usage and it doesn't seem like there is any major CPU usage when I'm experiencing input lag.

This is a very annoying problem with my Fire TV and I'm not sure if other people experience the same problem.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
If you have root access,you can use Trickster Mod after installing busybox to increase GPU performance by setting the Govern to performance.
This will partially overclock it to always run 400Mhz instead of going down to lower values which causes inconvenient lags.
I managed to get extremely fast performance after enough consecutive hours of on-time.

You could also get Kernel Tuner to make sure all four CPU cores are enabled and at the proper .384-1.7 settings.
My CPU0 was strangely disabled with the maximum clock on zero but I enabled the core by sliding it to 1.7 where it should actually be.
There is some hidden buttons on the main screen for turning CPU1,2,and 3 on/off you can find with the arrow keys.

You can also set your color bit depth to 32bit or 16bit while 24bit is the default for some reason.
Mine runs perfectly fine on 32bit and it appears to look much sharper.
Why is the default set to 24bit when 32bit works fine and looks better?

Hrodriguez77

May 28, 2013
If you have root access,you can use Trickster Mod after installing busybox to increase GPU performance by setting the Govern to performance.
This will partially overclock it to always run 400Mhz instead of going down to lower values which causes inconvenient lags.
I managed to get extremely fast performance after enough consecutive hours of on-time.

You could also get Kernel Tuner to make sure all four CPU cores are enabled and at the proper .384-1.7 settings.
My CPU0 was strangely disabled with the maximum clock on zero but I enabled the core by sliding it to 1.7 where it should actually be.
There is some hidden buttons on the main screen for turning CPU1,2,and 3 on/off you can find with the arrow keys.

You can also set your color bit depth to 32bit or 16bit while 24bit is the default for some reason.

Won't this cause the FTV to overheat? I'm thinking about doing this myself, but wouldn't want to cause any premature damage for a slight increase in performance.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
The GPU is not far from max when set to normal mode.
It would usually stick around 320Mhz while occasionally going up to 400Mhz.
The heat has not been much different with performance mode keeping the GPU at 400Mhz.

Don't mess with the Quad-Core CPU modification,because that is the main thing that might overheat you.
I keep mine completely on default apart from enabling that one strangely disabled CPU core.

Out of 212F possible degrees,Trickster Mod's Temperature Info reads out 120F right now after quite a few hours of usage while the "battery" says 86F.

Hrodriguez77

May 28, 2013
The GPU is not far from max when set to normal mode.
It would usually stick around 320Mhz while occasionally going up to 400Mhz.
The heat has not been much different with performance mode keeping the GPU at 400Mhz.

Don't mess with the Quad-Core CPU modification,because that is the main thing that might overheat you.
I keep mine completely on default apart from enabling that one strangely disabled CPU core.

Out of 212F possible degrees,Trickster Mod's Temperature Info reads out 120F right now after quite a few hours of usage while the "battery" says 86F.

Ok thanks I'll give it a try.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I also recently acquired two nice apps that use root to customize settings for a major performance boost in general and with "touch" related performance as well.
I have noticed a smoother touch scroll in browsers,faster menus,and app loading speeds.

The two apps are called Performance Booster and Digitizer Booster.

Performance:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gejos.android.performancebooster

Digitizer Booster (responsive touch):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gejos.android.digitizerbooster

There is also some donate and pro versions of Performance Booster that allow double boost and triple boost.

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007

Hey Retroben,

Can you do a posting with all your tips in the forum? your tips have greatly helped me out. Im sure many will greatly appreciate the performance boosts you helped us get.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
I got to gather my findings before I can,but I'll see what I can do.

The major speed increase with GPU Govern set to "performance" while 400Mhz is my biggest accomplishment of findings.
I will need to devise a series of steps for each of my findings,so it might take a long while.

The 32bit Color Depth does seem a lot more vibrant and crisper than 24bit.

ShadowsDemise

Apr 15, 2011
If anyone is curious, I found out that having a controller plugged in can cause the random input lag.

Someone had mentioned that on another website so I unplugged my xbox controller from the Fire TV and I haven't had any input lag since then.

roustabout

Feb 12, 2011
Performance:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gejos.android.performancebooster

Digitizer Booster (responsive touch):
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.gejos.android.digitizerbooster

There is also some donate and pro versions of Performance Booster that allow double boost and triple boost.

I'm curious about what these apps actually do. The dev won't say; it looks like a lot of it build.prop style tweaks but I'm not sure if it's directly editing the file or adding a loadable script someplace.

On the 24 vs 32 bit color: it's not clear to me that for a TV screen, there's an advantage to 32 bit color. There will be a performance improvement in graphics, as the GPU is calculating many fewer bits per pixel.

The 8 bit and 24 bit images in the Wikipedia article are pretty interesting to look at on a display. I'm surpised by how similar they are on my computer display at its normal 32 bit resolution:

8 bit

8_bit.png

versus 24 bit

Truecolor.png

An excellent interactive comparison of bit depths is at

http://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tutorials/bit-depth.htm

IF I can extract the tv from the teenager anytime soon, like tomorrow, I'll look at that cambridge image on the set as well. On the computer, at 16 or 32 bit, the difference in appearance of the last two images in it is very subtle.

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007
I got to gather my findings before I can,but I'll see what I can do.

The major speed increase with GPU Govern set to "performance" while 400Mhz is my biggest accomplishment of findings.
I will need to devise a series of steps for each of my findings,so it might take a long while.

The 32bit Color Depth does seem a lot more vibrant and crisper than 24bit.

I have all for cores running on Performance max thanks to Kernel Tuner and the GPU on Performance at 400 with Tweak mod and i switched to 32 bit and im running a bit slower now with FF Type Zero in PPSSPP compared to before. I think im going to switch back to 24 bit and hopefully get a bit more speed back.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
THAT IS WHAT I SAID NOT TO DO!

The CPU cores all set to that height will majorly overheat your device,and might kill it.
The most you should do is use Kernel Tuner to set the minimal speeds up to something around 50% full.
I reccommend either leaving it at the default or setting it around the 500 range.

Leave the CPU Govern alone,but GPU on performance mode with Trickster Mod is fine.
The Kernel Tuner's 32bit option does not negatively effect the performance enough (if at all),so you can keep it on with no problems.

The framerate of PPSSPP is dependant on what settings are used.
I have almost everything enabled and I get fluid 60fps with DBZ Budokai Shin.
I also get a nearly stutterless fps with SRB2PSP which normally runs abysmal on the actual system.

My PPSSPP settings...
Graphics:Non buffered,frame limit unchecked with 50% alternative speed,all of performance enabled, and the two speedup hacks enabled.
System:Multithreading and I/O disabled with native 330Mhz PSP clock speed on 2000/3000 mode.
A majority of games will have visual issues (Simpsons Game 3D graphics broken [I blame Qualcomm]) while the two I have tested (DBZ Shin and the SRB2PSP homebrew/port) work nearly flawlessly at full rates.

The 50% alternative rate is really helpful for better performance,since the game still goes up to full speed.

Last edited:

lilcza1

Aug 14, 2007
THAT IS WHAT I SAID NOT TO DO!

The CPU cores all set to that height will majorly overheat your device,and might kill it.
The most you should do is use Kernel Tuner to set the minimal speeds up to something around 50% full.
I reccommend either leaving it at the default or setting it around the 500 range.

Leave the CPU Govern alone,but GPU on performance mode with Trickster Mod is fine.
The Kernel Tuner's 32bit option does not negatively effect the performance enough (if at all),so you can keep it on with no problems.

The framerate of PPSSPP is dependant on what settings are used.
I have almost everything enabled and I get fluid 60fps with DBZ Budokai Shin.
I also get a nearly stutterless fps with SRB2PSP which normally runs abysmal on the actual system.

My PPSSPP settings...
Graphics:Non buffered,frame limit unchecked with 50% alternative speed,all of performance enabled, and the two speedup hacks enabled.
System:Multithreading and I/O disabled with native 330Mhz PSP clock speed on 2000/3000 mode.
A majority of games will have visual issues (Simpsons Game 3D graphics broken [I blame Qualcomm]) while the two I have tested (DBZ Shin and the SRB2PSP homebrew/port) work nearly flawlessly at full rates.

The 50% alternative rate is really helpful for better performance,since the game still goes up to full speed.

Yeah i just did performance govern for a temp performance test, i get the same speeds on ondemand just fine. but i'll try turning off multithreading and I/O and test it again with the other tweaks you said for PPSSPP.

ugabuga

Jul 19, 2008
For what its worth, I noticed the lag immediately following updating to the latest fw. On the original fw the ftv felt so fast and snappy and now is feelz slow and laggy.

retroben

May 19, 2014
Fultondale
It must be related to new bloatware like the kiddy mode and music management.
If you press alt+tab on a keyboard to view recent apps,the media options like apps games videos and photos will be listed,which means they run every time you pass the related options.

Root users need not worry,because rbox will have the homescreen options mod for removing the options soon.
I want to wittle it down to search,home,and settings so I can access things much faster.