[HowTo] Root/Unroot Samsung Galaxy W (I8150)

Search This thread

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
For the record, rooting causes a violation of the garantuee policy of Samsung. Furthermore there is a possibility of demaging the Android-system(bricking). This has not happend as far as I know, but it should be mentioned. As advanced user it is usually always possible to recover the system, but still, just to let you know.

So whoever takes the risk, takes the responsibility

Advice: Use a PC without any drivers or software from other Android devices, this may causes conflicts with the drivers in the ADB.

Rooting

Rooting via Recovery mode(SD card)

Note: This instructions is written for the stock recovery. It has been reported that custom recoverys are causing problems during rooting. If you use a custom recovery which causes problems, please flash the stock recovery via ODIN first(scroll down to Other). Than apply the rooting

1. Download this Zip-file copy this into the internal SD card.

2. While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on.

Recovery1.jpg

As soon as you see the Android with the box, release the Home- and Volume Up-button.
Recovery2.jpg

After you hit the menu-button shown on the last image, the screen will gray out, you will have to wait until the recovery menu appears.

3. Navigate with the volume up and down to apply sdcard:update.zip in Recovery Menu. To confirm your selection use the home-button.

4. Choose (with volume buttons) the update.zip file on your internal sd card and confirm again with Home-button. You will have to wait 5 seconds.

5. Now choose reboot system now and confirm with home button.

Now you device should be rooted.

The original thread

================================================================================================

Rooting with the manual method

Note: It has been reported that this method no longer work for firmwares later than LA2.

1.a On the Mobile: Got to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> and checkmark USB debugging.
1.b Auf dem Handy: Geht auf Settings -> Applications -> and checkmark Unknown sources.

2.Connect the device to your PC(USB) and wait until all the drivers have been successfully installed .

3. Download and install the Android SDK.

4. Download thisZip-File and extract all the files into the folder platform-tools, which should be located by default at C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.

5. Run CMD(prompt) (as Administrator) (and change the direction on: C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
To do so you will have to enter following command in the prompt:
Code:
chdir C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
(Every line/row has to be confirmed with the ENTER-Key to get to the following line)
6. Now enter following code in the prompt:
Code:
adb push zergRush_samsung_w /data/local/
adb shell
(Every line/row has to be confirmed with the ENTER-Key to get to the following line)
7. You should be now in the ADB Shell, now enter following code:
INFO: The $-sign in the prompt is to indicate that you are in the ADB-shell
Code:
chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush_samsung_w
/data/local/zergRush_samsung_w
Now you will have to wait 3-4 minutes. If this step was successful the following last two lines will appear:

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
[+] Killing ADB and restarting as root..enjoy!

8. Now you should be out of the ADB-shell(no $-sign) Now you will have to enter the following code in the prompt:
Code:
adb remount
adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
adb push su /system/bin/
adb shell
After the last entry you will get back into the ADB-shell($-sign).
9. In the ADB-shell you will have to enter:
Code:
chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
reboot
INFO: 4755 stands for read and write permissions, so this is not a tipping error!
After the restart you Samsung Galaxy W should be rooted.
10. You may have to update Superuser via the Android market ->Menu-Button->My Apps Superuser -> update.
Have fun with the root access!!!

The original post

================================================================================================

Rooting with the auto-method(DoomLord v.3) (for Windowsuser)

Note: It has been reported that this method no longer work for firmwares later than LA2.

1.a On the Mobile: Got to Settings -> Applications -> Development -> and checkmark USB debugging.
1.b On the Mobile: Got to Settings -> Applications -> and checkmark Unknown sources.

2.Connect the device to your PC(USB) and wait until all the drivers have been successfully installed .

3. Download this Zip-File and extract all the files into a random folder.

4. Run the runme.bat-file as Administrator and press any key.

5. Now you will have to wait for 3-6 Minuten. The program will have to process all the necessary steps.

6. If you get the message "ALL DONE!!!" you device should be successfully rooted.

7. You may have to update Superuser via the Android market ->Menu-Button->My Apps Superuser -> update.

The original thread

Unrooting

Unrooting via Recovery mode(SD card)

IMPORTANT: Only use this method if you have used the rooting method via Recovery mode !!!
I personally haven't tested it yet, so it is not confirmed by my person.

2. While switched off, keep the following buttons pressed. Release the power-button once the Samsung Galaxy W(I8150) is switched on.

Recovery1.jpg

As soon as you see the Android with the box, release the Home- and Volume Up-button.
Recovery2.jpg

After you hit the menu-button shown on the last image, the screen will gray out, you will have to wait until the recovery menu appears.

3. Navigate with the volume up and down to apply sdcard:update.zip in Recovery Menu. To confirm your selection use the home-button.

4. Choose (with volume buttons) the unroot.zip file on your internal sd card and confirm again with Home-button. You will have to wait 5 seconds.

Now you device should be now unrooted.

The original thread

Automated unrooting DoomLord(for Windowsuser)

IMPORTANT: Only use this method if you have used the automated rooting method of DoomLord !!!

1.b On the Mobile: Got to Settings -> Applications -> and checkmark Unknown sources.

3. Download and install this Zip-file and extract all the files into a random folder.

4. Run the runme-UNROOT.bat-file as Administrator and press any key.

5. Now you will have to wait for 3-6 Minuten. The program will have to process all the necessary steps.

6. If you get the message "ALL DONE!!!" you device should be successfully unrooted.

The original thread

Credits

Thanks to
qzem who helped me unrooting my device and wrote the instruction of most of the manual rooting method :thumbup:
DoomLord
team Revolutionary
Ch4lky
mirred
KeksKlip

Please let me know whom else I should add!
I have only written the instructions!

Last edited:

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
good day, i rooted my phone using doomlord's automated root and it was successful, but i updated it yesterday and it was unrooted. i tried using doomlord's rooting method but to no avail? help?:confused:

Can you let us know which version you are using ? Settings->About phone->Build number

As far as I know there is a build version, I don't know which it was, which is not rootable with Doomlord.

EDIT: Rooting via Recovery works.

BTW: Have you tried the manual method ?

greets

THE-E

Last edited:
Reactions: train1994

irishpancake

May 1, 2011
Small Village
The root instruction is almost the same as http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1253707.
I have used attahed files to get root. Thanks Dronson from 4pda for the provided files.

Hi, thanks for this!!

Just to be clear, can this method be used with Custom RZRecovery, or only with Stock Recovery?

Also, has anyone tried the Root tool contained in the RZRecovery Plugins package:

http://rzdroid.com/ftp/recovery/gingerbread/plugins/RZR-plugins-bundle-update.zip

PLUGINS
This bundle contains 4 plugins:
  • Disable/enable Dalvik bytecode verification in Android
  • Disable OTA downloads in Android
  • Fix Permissions
  • Root the installed ROM
After installing this update, there will be a new menu in Extras called Plugins.

fender90

Nov 23, 2011
Venice
I tested the Rooting via Recovery and it works like a charm. I managed to root the latest firmware (XXLA2) that was unrootable with Doomlord or manual method.

hubie53

Jan 7, 2008
good day, i rooted my phone using doomlord's automated root and it was successful, but i updated it yesterday and it was unrooted. i tried using doomlord's rooting method but to no avail? help?:confused:

Try this link, it helped me: www.unlockroot.com/unlockroot.php
good luck! hubie53

---------- Post added at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

The provided instruction does not work on LA2 firmware. You still can get root from Recovery-Mode using update.zip with busybox, su and etc.
This works in most cases: www.unlockroot.com/unlockroot.php

hubie53

Jan 7, 2008

Try this link: www.unlockroot.com/unlockroot.php
It worked for me even on the 2.3.6 version LA2!
hubie53

---------- Post added at 06:04 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:02 AM ----------

The provided instruction does not work on LA2 firmware. You still can get root from Recovery-Mode using update.zip with busybox, su and etc.

Try this link: www.unlockroot.com/unlockroot.php
It worked for me even on the 2.3.6 version LA2!
hubie53

Ibn Saeed

Nov 3, 2011
My SGW comes with 2.3.5. Will the above rooting work ?

Also, which method out of the 2 is the best to use, for flashing future ROMs and kernels etc.

How to update from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 ?

Last edited:

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
My SGW comes with 2.3.5. Will the above rooting work ?

Also, which method out of the 2 is the best to use, for flashing future ROMs and kernels etc.

How to update from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 ?

First do the Update via Over The Air(search for it) or Samsung Kies.

After successfully updating use the first method rooting via recovery. This works for now and could work in future.

greets

THE-E

Ibn Saeed

Nov 3, 2011
First do the Update via Over The Air(search for it) or Samsung Kies.

After successfully updating use the first method rooting via recovery. This works for now and could work in future.

greets

THE-E

Just installed Kies.

Someone recommended that i use Odin instead of Kies for upgrading from 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 ?

Would there be a problem if i upgrade my stock 2.3.5 to 2.3.6 via Kies instead of Odin for rooting and then flashing of future roms ?

cupez80

Nov 28, 2008
i just bought Galaxy W with 2.3.6 already installed. ive tried many ways to root this device but no luck :((

Reactions: THE-E

THE-E

Mar 7, 2006
i just bought Galaxy W with 2.3.6 already installed. ive tried many ways to root this device but no luck :((

Damn it! I pressed the thank you button instood of the quote-button. Thanks for the report anyway ;-D

Have you tried the recovery method ? And please explain where you had dificulties.

Which firmware are you using ?

greets

THE-E

cupez80

Nov 28, 2008
ive tried recovery method but still no root access (no problem when doing recovery method / success ).
Baseband=I8150DXKL1
Kernel=I8150DXLA2

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    For the record, rooting causes a violation of the garantuee policy of Samsung. Furthermore there is a possibility of demaging the Android-system(bricking). This has not happend as far as I know, but it should be mentioned. As advanced user it is usually always possible to recover the system, but still, just to let you know.

So whoever takes the risk, takes the responsibility

Advice: Use a PC without any drivers or software from other Android devices, this may causes conflicts with the drivers in the ADB.

Rooting

Rooting via Recovery mode(SD card)

Note: This instructions is written for the stock recovery. It has been reported that custom recoverys are causing problems during rooting. If you use a custom recovery which causes problems, please flash the stock recovery via ODIN first(scroll down to Other). Than apply the rooting

Recovery1.jpg

Recovery2.jpg

4. Choose (with volume buttons) the update.zip file on your internal sd card and confirm again with Home-button. You will have to wait 5 seconds.

Now you device should be rooted.

The original thread

Rooting with the manual method

1.b Auf dem Handy: Geht auf Settings -> Applications -> and checkmark Unknown sources.

3. Download and install the Android SDK.

4. Download thisZip-File and extract all the files into the folder platform-tools, which should be located by default at C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.

5. Run CMD(prompt) (as Administrator) (and change the direction on: C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools.
    To do so you will have to enter following command in the prompt:
    Code:
    chdir C:\program files\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
    6. Now enter following code in the prompt:
    Code:
    adb push zergRush_samsung_w /data/local/
    adb shell
    7. You should be now in the ADB Shell, now enter following code:
    INFO: The $-sign in the prompt is to indicate that you are in the ADB-shell
    Code:
    chmod 755 /data/local/zergRush_samsung_w
    /data/local/zergRush_samsung_w
    Now you will have to wait 3-4 minutes. If this step was successful the following last two lines will appear:

[+] Rush did it ! It's a GG, man !
    [+] Killing ADB and restarting as root..enjoy!

8. Now you should be out of the ADB-shell(no $-sign) Now you will have to enter the following code in the prompt:
    Code:
    adb remount
    adb push Superuser.apk /system/app/
    adb push su /system/bin/
    adb shell
    After the last entry you will get back into the ADB-shell($-sign).
    9. In the ADB-shell you will have to enter:
    Code:
    chmod 644 /system/app/Superuser.apk
    chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
    reboot
    INFO: 4755 stands for read and write permissions, so this is not a tipping error!
    After the restart you Samsung Galaxy W should be rooted.
    10. You may have to update Superuser via the Android market ->Menu-Button->My Apps Superuser -> update.

The original post

Rooting with the auto-method(DoomLord v.3) (for Windowsuser)

3. Download this Zip-File and extract all the files into a random folder.

4. Run the runme.bat-file as Administrator and press any key.

6. If you get the message "ALL DONE!!!" you device should be successfully rooted.

7. You may have to update Superuser via the Android market ->Menu-Button->My Apps Superuser -> update.

The original thread

Unrooting

Unrooting via Recovery mode(SD card)

IMPORTANT: Only use this method if you have used the rooting method via Recovery mode !!!

Recovery1.jpg

Recovery2.jpg

4. Choose (with volume buttons) the unroot.zip file on your internal sd card and confirm again with Home-button. You will have to wait 5 seconds.

Now you device should be now unrooted.

The original thread

Automated unrooting DoomLord(for Windowsuser)

IMPORTANT: Only use this method if you have used the automated rooting method of DoomLord !!!

3. Download and install this Zip-file and extract all the files into a random folder.

4. Run the runme-UNROOT.bat-file as Administrator and press any key.

6. If you get the message "ALL DONE!!!" you device should be successfully unrooted.

The original thread

Credits

Thanks to
    qzem who helped me unrooting my device and wrote the instruction of most of the manual rooting method :thumbup:
    DoomLord
    team Revolutionary
    Ch4lky
    mirred
    KeksKlip

Please let me know whom else I should add!
    I have only written the instructions!
    The root instruction is almost the same as http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1253707.
    I have used attahed files to get root. Thanks Dronson from 4pda for the provided files.
    Lost root after rom update...

THE-E thanks for this awesome tutorial! I was having fun with my rooted phone until one hour ago...
    :(

I've just flashed my device to the new April release "I8150BVJLM2_I8150BZTOLM2_I8150BVJLM2_HOME.tar.md5" and when trying to root I get the following message in the Recovery mode screen:

-- Install /sdcard ...
    Finding update package...
    Opening update package...
    Verifying update package...
    E:Can't open /tmp/sideload/package.zip
    (bad)
    Installation aborted.

Does anyone know how to fix that?

I also flashed back the previous rom from February release "I8150BVJLB1_I8150BZTOLB1_I8150BVJLB1_HOME.tar.md5" but I got the same message...

What should I do? I need ROOT!!! LOL

[UPDATE]
    Never mind guys... Problem solved... I just formatted the internal SD, put the files back and tried again...

VOILA!!!
    Ok, thanks for the info mate.

Hope, sh*t things like Game/social hub, weather.com, ... are not absolutely needed for the galaxy W

You can "freeze" those with Titanium BU Pro paid for, or Gemini App Manager free from Market.......this is good App, with loads of options!!

Also, System App Remover

But there is a list somewhere on here of Apps it is safe to remove, and those not safe, just search!!

Be careful......