Gear 2 announced.. Thoughts??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Sepharite

Oct 12, 2011
I can guarantee you the pricing. Premium one will be $319.99 while the Neo will be $279.99.

The neo looks better, sleeker, and more casual. But I'm so glad they removed the camera on the strap, and allow the strap to be removable. Day one for me, that's for sure. I'll sell off my Gear for $150 or whatever.

Last edited:

JoeFCaputo113

Feb 2, 2013
New York
I can guarantee you the pricing. Premium one will be $319.99 while the Neo will be $279.99.

The neo looks better, sleeker, and more casual. But I'm so glad they removed the camera on the strap, and allow the strap to be removable. Day one for me, that's for sure. I'll sell off my Gear for $150 or whatever.

Good luck selling it for $150 lol.... bet you will get $100 max.

hackfree

Feb 24, 2006
I will not sell mine if I don't see first how the tizen works and what's the stand by time. And of course when the price drops.

mrtramplefoot

Jun 29, 2012
Am I the only one that thinks the neo looks like it has the camera and the regular one does not? It's been driving me crazy.

Xyberdyne

Oct 12, 2010
I doubt they intend normal photos taken with the cam. It's going to be for video chat. I also see the charging section is on the bottom meaning it probably still uses the terrible cradle charger.

fOmey

Recognized Developer
Mar 7, 2009
Sydney, AUS
I was expecting a leap, we only got a hop. :p

Its alright, its nice.. I would have to see more of it..

So the only differences between the models is the cameras ?

dieracks

Sep 8, 2013
St Clair Shores
I like the new design. The move of the camera and speaker to the body was a great idea. The home/power button being moved to the bottom of the screen is awesome. I hate having the button on the side of the watch, it can be difficult to grab sometimes. And the swappable bands.. yes!
If the price is right there might be a gear 2 in my future.

raiu

Oct 10, 2008
Now it really reminds me of the watches in the early 90s that had remotes and calculatorrs on them.

Brendo

Will be interesting to see how the camera location effects functionality

Disappointed there is still no wifi (hopefully achieved via gear manager instead ala glass app)

Not hugely fussed on gps, but I'd love to be able to use the watch independent of the phone

Tizen will hopefully be lightweight and add lots of benefit battery wise

gidi

May 29, 2006
For me the (possible) lack of GPS is a deal breaker. It could be a great device for training, especially with the HR sensor. It is such a shame to handicap it.
Also, as i have discussed in my blog, the camera placement looks kind of weird. Smth between front facing and rear facing.

teegunn

Dec 14, 2010
Would love to have GPS and WIFI. Big mistake if they leave that stuff off the new Gear.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Ha, we come out the same mold..:cowboy:

Having big fun with my 5 month old Gear, and I am too old(74) to play any waiting game. Also, I got my Gear on sale for the $209..Looking to sell mine on Ebay for anything north of $140..Still got the original box, and the watch is spotless.. Going for the black one with the camera on day 1.. :cool:

BTW, I was thinking about passing my Gear down to my wife, she has a S4, but lately she has been a b----, I am selling the mother!! :cool:

Your a champion, this post is golden.

BRING ON GEAR 2! Customizable watch bands, IR blaster, a new OS to tear apart and tinker with, water proof.. sounds good to me, sign me up.
    My thoughts are here: http://www.notjusthitech.com/2014/02/the-gear-twins-are-official.html
    The speaker is on the watch itself. If you look at the orange one you cannot miss it.
    I'm going to keep my gear 1 for the foreseeable future, when I first got it I couldn't wait to root it and flash the null tom., but as time went on I zoned in on what I need from a smart watch and as Unpopular as it may be I think Samsung did a good job for a gen 1 product. It does what I need, it keeps me phone in my pocket until I actually need to use it, I no longer feel the urge to have the phone in the same room as me all the time. Yes it could have been better but to all those tech sites that Lord the pebble and slate the gear i say WTF!

Sent from my SM-T320 using Tapatalk
    i guess better battery life than Stock would be a jump and the increased to 1GHz dual core means they probably arent changing it at all just turning it up which we can already do ourselves.

right now i get an easy 3 days on null and can run at 1.6GHz dual core ikf needed so battery and processor dont impress me on Gear 2.

with the standalone MP3 player and heart rate monitor i would ASSUME that i can now run without my phone and the Gear will connect to my BT headphones directly? this would be worth upgrading for.

if there truly is no Android option then i will not be an early adopter on this update though since i have seen what Sammy has in their store and i dont care for any of them and need my APK's to get it done right!
    It is interesting how people reacted to the Gear 1. The ability to integrate the wires for a speaker and camera into a watch strap is rather inspired and a bit of a technical feat. Putting the speaker into the buckle is likely to have allowed for a larger speaker and therefore the speaker on the Gear 2 may not be as good. Also, the camera will be nearer other electronics which means the image may be more influenced by noise/interference from the other parts of the watch.

I also agree with the poster above who said the new watches remind him of the watches in the 80s that had calculators and TV remotes built into them.

Ultimately I understand the reasons people didn't like the design of the Gear 1, but the changes are not really an improvement, but more of a simplification and ultimately should result in a price drop with the new design.

The reason I think the Gear 2 has come out so quickly is because Samsung could not correct the wrongs they did by releasing the product before it was ready. Now you can get up to 4 days with the Gear 1 and normal usage...you can get notifies for any application including a decent preview of the content of a message or email etc. But those changes were after all the reviews were out there and Samsung needed to release a Gear 2 just to get a clean slate to start again from.

I don't feel in any rush to sell my Gear 1 for a Gear 2.....it does what I need. I didn't think the microphone and speaker would be much use until I started to use it. I left my phone in my bedroom, had my watch on and was downstairs in the kitchen. I was able to answer the phone and have a quick conversation easily using the watch. I then sent a text to my wife by voice dictation in seconds once again without touching the phone. I think the Gear 1 has been misunderstood and sorely under-rated