ICS First Impressions

Search This thread

-DM-

Dec 17, 2010
The change to platform.xml enables rw for both internal sdcard and external sdcard2. It worked flawlessly for me, so I'm puzzled as to why it did not work for you. I can only recommend that you retrace your steps and make sure you made the change correctly. After making the change, did you fully power down and then restart your tablet?

This has to be a separate issue. To the best of my knowledge, writing to sdcard and sdcard2 has nothing to do with WiFi.

I just added <group gid="media_rw" /> to WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, right next to <group gid="sdcard_rw" /> ... I didn't leave a space in between then I replace the platform.xml in the permission folder...that's all I did
After that rebooted and both sd cards are now not writable and as for my wifi it's connected the the icon is gray not blue so no internet access, some apps won't work right either

Cat McGowan

Apr 28, 2012
I just added <group gid="media_rw" /> to WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE permission, right next to <group gid="sdcard_rw" /> ... I didn't leave a space in between
Try inserting <group gid="media_rw" /> as a new line below <group gid="sdcard_rw" />. The results should look like this:

<permission name="android.permission.WRITE_EXTERNAL_STORAGE" >
<group gid="sdcard_rw" />
<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

-DM-

Dec 17, 2010
Try inserting <group gid="media_rw" /> as a new line below <group gid="sdcard_rw" />. The results should look like this:

<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

that's what I did, I re-did a few more times...still no go for me...can't write on any of the SDs

elfeneco

Apr 16, 2012
Lyon
Hi,
Personnaly I can't even root my tablet with this method !
I'm in debug usb mode but I obtain this :

[*] FULLY AUTOMATIC - ROOT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT ~ 3min 10s.
[*] Press enter to root your tablet...
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

and that's all ! Nothing move after that ?
Am'I the only one in this situation ?

Thx.

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
Hi,
Personnaly I can't even root my tablet with this method !
I'm in debug usb mode but I obtain this :

[*] FULLY AUTOMATIC - ROOT SHOULD TAKE ABOUT ~ 3min 10s.
[*] Press enter to root your tablet...
[*]
[*] Waiting for device...
* daemon not running. starting it now *
* daemon started successfully *

and that's all ! Nothing move after that ?
Am'I the only one in this situation ?

Thx

You could try to open CMD then cd to your Platform-tools folder and type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

And then you must see your serial from your device
then type just "adb" and press enter
reopen AiO Tool and re do the steps maby that works.

Edit:
Make shure that you have installed Google Drivers installed properly
SDK Manager> Extras> Google usb Driver
And did you do the "echo part + Drivers text" for:
~Tegra Devices
~Sony Tablet S
~Sony Tablet P
And then manually install driver from Device manager from your google driver folder

Last edited:

-DM-

Dec 17, 2010

<group gid="media_rw" />
</permission>

I had to do a factory reset and erase completely the USB storage to get back functionality...to my pleasant surprise I realized that I still have "ROOT", I'm glad I moved my titanium backup pro to SDcard2 before to wipe the all thing, so I'm gonna leave the write to external SD alone for now ;-)
The reset took care of the screen flickering that I had when the tablet was on the cradle in clock mode...so at least the wipe did some good and I still have root on top of it !

few questions after update to ICS...

-anyone have problem with playing mp4 video in 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps using H.264 codec on the tablet s?? it use to play very smooth when i was in HC... but after update to ICS it skips so much when using default player, or any other 3rd party player...

-im running low on the USB storage because i have install many gameloft and games from tegra zone... i only have 200mb left... is it possible i move all those data to my 16gb SD card and still able to play my games??

-how come i cant delete any files in my SD card now using File Manager HD? it use to work when in HC.

- how can i make google play music stop playing game sound track?? those sound track are from games by gameloft and tegra zone... i have made the .nomedia file in every single game folder but it still reading it. this problem happen since HC... it is very annoying when after listening to one song suddenly i hear engine revving sound, it hurt my ears so much...

please help!! thanx!!

kurtis.austin2

Aug 21, 2009

-anyone have problem with playing mp4 video in 1920x1080 resolution at 30fps using H.264 codec on the tablet s?? it use to play very smooth when i was in HC... but after update to ICS it skips so much when using default player, or any other 3rd party player...

-im running low on the USB storage because i have install many gameloft and games from tegra zone... i only have 200mb left... is it possible i move all those data to my 16gb SD card and still able to play my games??

-how come i cant delete any files in my SD card now using File Manager HD? it use to work when in HC.

- how can i make google play music stop playing game sound track?? those sound track are from games by gameloft and tegra zone... i have made the .nomedia file in every single game folder but it still reading it. this problem happen since HC... it is very annoying when after listening to one song suddenly i hear engine revving sound, it hurt my ears so much...

please help!! thanx!!

You asked this already man

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using XDA Premium HD app

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
please help!! thanx!!

Wel first of all, The Mp4 thing is no problem for my tab, so its might be possible that your Mp4 is corrupted,
You could also try to install Andvanced task killer "Free" maby the multiply running apps is killing you ram space.

Its better to keep those files on your Internal SD, and try install other apps on your External,
You could try to place all your media on your SD that should not be a problem.

You have a rooted tab right?, its strange you can't delete files from the manager then its blocked somehow, so you must activate all abilities to Delete/Change files in internal SD in the settings from your File Manager,
Mount/re-mount etc.,

And the sound thing ?, don't know can't you just disable it in game settings like playing without music., xD or will it disable all sounds, maby there is a way to
disable Play Music by Rom ToolBox "Free" first back up your sytem app then disable
you still have Sony Music player so you don't need it anyway,
Remember it can cause problems because its a system app,

elfeneco

Apr 16, 2012
Lyon
You could try to open CMD then cd to your Platform-tools folder and type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices

And then you must see your serial from your device
then type just "adb" and press enter
reopen AiO Tool and re do the steps maby that works.

Edit:
Make shure that you have installed Google Drivers installed properly
SDK Manager> Extras> Google usb Driver
And did you do the "echo part + Drivers text" for:
~Tegra Devices
~Sony Tablet S
~Sony Tablet P
And then manually install driver from Device manager from your google driver folder

Ok for first part but where is the folder "google usb driver" ?
Same, I don't understand "do the echo part + driver text"" ?

Sorry !

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
Ok for first part but where is the folder "google usb driver" ?
Same, I don't understand "do the echo part + driver text"" ?

Sorry !

Don't worry i will try to explain,
1. Update your SDK Manager
- In SDK Manager expand Extras then search for Google usb Driver if not already installed then do this,
2. Open the google-usb_driver folder that you will find inside your Android SDK folder.
- Example C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\
3. Open the android_winusb.inf file in notepad or any text editor to edit it.
- If you can't change this then try to change permissions in that folder
Add these lines under [Google.NTx86] or [Google.NTamd64] depending on whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. If unsure, it is safe to add these under both these sections.

;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet P
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_04D2&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet S
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_05B4&MI_01

4. Open a command prompt window and enter this command:
echo 0x054C >> "C:\Users\Elfeneco\.android\adb_usb.ini"
5. Make shure you have USB Debugging enabled.
- Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and enable ‘USB Debugging’.
6. Connect your tablet to pc and let the pc install the drivers some will faill but thats okay.
7. Right-click Computer and click Manage and search your device from the list, right-click it and click Update Driver Software.
8. Choose to browse your pc,
- Choose to view all devices.
- Click Have Disk.
- Browse to the google-usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK folder and select the android_winusb.inf file.
---- It might say that its not compitable but just proceed.
9. Once the drivers have been installed, you should be able to use ADB with your device.
10. to check that,
- Press Windows button + R
- Then type CMD and press enter.
- cd.. back to your Harddiskdrive.
- cd to your Platform-tools folder Example C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- then type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
- you should see your devices listed ( Serial Number )
and you can comfirm that you have a working adb with you sony tablet s.

From their you can do anything beginning with root.

Warren_Orange

Jun 2, 2011
I have just bought the Tablet S and I have a question.

I'm finding the browser scrolling within honeycomb annoying. I'm finding that the words have a shimmer effect when you scroll down a page, something my old iPad didn't do and my ICS loaded Nexus S doesn't do.

Now I don't know if this is to do with the screen hardware or HC.

I've read that HC web rendering is poor.

I'm wondering if ICS fixes this.

Cheers.

Wel first of all, The Mp4 thing is no problem for my tab, so its might be possible that your Mp4 is corrupted,
You could also try to install Andvanced task killer "Free" maby the multiply running apps is killing you ram space.

Its better to keep those files on your Internal SD, and try install other apps on your External,
You could try to place all your media on your SD that should not be a problem.

You have a rooted tab right?, its strange you can't delete files from the manager then its blocked somehow, so you must activate all abilities to Delete/Change files in internal SD in the settings from your File Manager,
Mount/re-mount etc.,

And the sound thing ?, don't know can't you just disable it in game settings like playing without music., xD or will it disable all sounds, maby there is a way to
disable Play Music by Rom ToolBox "Free" first back up your sytem app then disable
you still have Sony Music player so you don't need it anyway,
Remember it can cause problems because its a system app,

thanx for the reply!!
i have the same mp4 video in my SD card since i was in HC. i try a few others but still skips. also ATK was always in my tablet. i try killing everything till i get 440mb available memory and still no help...

Tablet S have 3 different type of storage...
- 4GB internal Storage thats for apps(apk itself) i only use 1GB of this storage
- 9GB USB storage thats for the apps that require to install data into the SD storage... i have already max out this storage due to installing many games(only 20 games)... (no music or video at all)
- SD Card i have a 16GB SD Card insert here and i already use 10GB for HD videos already

i do not have a root tab. i updated to ICS rite away when it pops up and i then know ICS cant be root yet... i didnt know deleting stuff on SD Card require to root... it was working fine in HC

i can disable the sound in the game, but the files are still there and google play music still detects it. if i delete those files it say no data found on my SD storage and requires me to download again in order to play the game... i want to use google play music over sony default player because i can stream music from home PC... no need to take up space in my SD card or internal storage, all i need is wifi connection which is always connected to my X10 through hotspot... also sony default player doesnt have the lock screen player.

i want to make my tablet s as a true entertainment tablet(as sony said) but theres just too much problems...

Mahaco

Feb 25, 2012
Behind you!
Yes i have to admit that the sound is not what i had expected
and also the camera isn't that great, And the plastic design is a little dissapointing,
So its not a super media device, i can compare with Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1v and
sony could have been better but it wasn't, every tab has its own "Best of list"

I'm affraid there is nothing you could do to the audio issue, because its a Hardware
thing, and you don't want to get rid off the Google Music App, because you use it
for other things too, maby you will find an app that can change some settings that
makes the sound more comfortable.

Sorry for my english btw,

cezarL

i have the same mp4 video in my SD card since i was in HC. i try a few others but still skips. also ATK was always in my tablet. i try killing everything till i get 440mb available memory and still no help...
Is your video using a DTS audio stream? I found that I have to reencode my video files with lower audio settings (stereo / Dolby ProLogic) to ensure smooth playback. Looks like Tegra2 cannot decode DTS (5.1 ch) streams, so the players resort to s/w decoding, which results in poor performance (namely, jerky playback).
Odd that it worked fine for you on HC, though...

i do not have a root tab. i updated to ICS rite away when it pops up and i then know ICS cant be root yet... i didnt know deleting stuff on SD Card require to root... it was working fine in HC
They changed the owner group for the external SD storage, and 'forgot' to give write permissions to the standard user. Not much of an issue if you have root, but.. tough luck if you don't :(

i can disable the sound in the game, but the files are still there and google play music still detects it.
Try adding an empty file in each game's data folder, called ".nomedia" (don't forget the leading dot). This will make all media players ignore the folders when scanning for media files. It should not affect the games themselves, but you'll need to test each one.

Is your video using a DTS audio stream? I found that I have to reencode my video files with lower audio settings (stereo / Dolby ProLogic) to ensure smooth playback. Looks like Tegra2 cannot decode DTS (5.1 ch) streams, so the players resort to s/w decoding, which results in poor performance (namely, jerky playback).
Odd that it worked fine for you on HC, though...

They changed the owner group for the external SD storage, and 'forgot' to give write permissions to the standard user. Not much of an issue if you have root, but.. tough luck if you don't :(

Try adding an empty file in each game's data folder, called ".nomedia" (don't forget the leading dot). This will make all media players ignore the folders when scanning for media files. It should not affect the games themselves, but you'll need to test each one.

my mp4 videos are running on:
video streaming
-Encoding: h.264
Bit rate: 9583Kbps
Frame Rate: 29fps
resolution: 1920 x 1080
aspec ratio: 16:9
-audio streaming
encoding: AAC 40 LC
Bit Rate: 128Kbps
n Channels: 2 channels
SamplesPerSec: 44100 Hz
BitsPerSample: 16 bits
i dont think the video is on DTS and yes the weird part is, it run so smooth on HC... and not on ICS... i tried putting the same video to another tablet S running ICS also and it lags too... so i guess is sony ICS problem... i should start taking out all my full HD movies out my SD card now...

i have the .nomedia in every single of those game's data folder... even the subfolder still doesnt work...

cezarL

i dont think the video is on DTS and yes the weird part is, it run so smooth on HC... and not on ICS... i tried putting the same video to another tablet S running ICS also and it lags too... so i guess is sony ICS problem... i should start taking out all my full HD movies out my SD card now...

i have the .nomedia in every single of those game's data folder... even the subfolder still doesnt work...

I tested the .nomedia thing now on a generic folder, and it works fine for me.
Don't know what else you could try.. maybe a factory reset?

elfeneco

Apr 16, 2012
Lyon
Don't worry i will try to explain,
1. Update your SDK Manager
- In SDK Manager expand Extras then search for Google usb Driver if not already installed then do this,
2. Open the google-usb_driver folder that you will find inside your Android SDK folder.
- Example C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\extras\google\usb_driver\
3. Open the android_winusb.inf file in notepad or any text editor to edit it.
- If you can't change this then try to change permissions in that folder
Add these lines under [Google.NTx86] or [Google.NTamd64] depending on whether you are using 32 bit or 64 bit Windows. If unsure, it is safe to add these under both these sections.

;NVIDIA Tegra
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7000
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0955&PID_7100&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet P
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_04D2&MI_01
;SONY Sony Tablet S
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_054C&PID_05B4&MI_01

4. Open a command prompt window and enter this command:
echo 0x054C >> "C:\Users\Elfeneco\.android\adb_usb.ini"
5. Make shure you have USB Debugging enabled.
- Menu > Settings > Applications > Development and enable ‘USB Debugging’.
6. Connect your tablet to pc and let the pc install the drivers some will faill but thats okay.
7. Right-click Computer and click Manage and search your device from the list, right-click it and click Update Driver Software.
8. Choose to browse your pc,
- Choose to view all devices.
- Click Have Disk.
- Browse to the google-usb_driver folder inside your Android SDK folder and select the android_winusb.inf file.
---- It might say that its not compitable but just proceed.
9. Once the drivers have been installed, you should be able to use ADB with your device.
10. to check that,
- Press Windows button + R
- Then type CMD and press enter.
- cd.. back to your Harddiskdrive.
- cd to your Platform-tools folder Example C:\Program Files (x86)\Android\android-sdk\platform-tools
- then type:
adb kill-server
adb start-server
adb devices
- you should see your devices listed ( Serial Number )
and you can comfirm that you have a working adb with you sony tablet s.

From their you can do anything beginning with root.

Thanks a lot buddy, it worked like a charm !!! Your explanations were very clear.
Thing is, I'm not developper and I haven't Android SDK installed :D
With it, it's a lot easier :rolleyes:

So, ICS update currently running !!!

Reactions: Mahaco

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Its going to be a long wait for EU Users i quess, only thing i wanted to know how much languages are available on this one? Does it has Dutch included?

heres the list of languages available from the US version.

http://imageshack.us/f/801/screenshot2012042720265.png/
    It's driving me nuts already!

On top of that, Apex Launcher is very laggy (bummer, it was one of the reasons I wanted ICS) and I'm having Superuser issues: apps are granted root access when I open them the first time, but some of them (Drive Mount, for example) won't open later on, they get stuck waiting for Superuser to give them root again. Weird...

Then there's the WiFi turning off thing, and broken auto-brightness... Can't say I'm all that happy with this ICS update...

wipe the data and it will be all right. i had te same issue..
    Upgraded to ics and my play store keeps crashing. Tried clearing cache and data, then it runs for about 5 min and crashes again...anyone else having similar issues?

Sent from my Sony Tablet S using Tapatalk 2

Uninstall from settings and go in as market... That fixed it for me...
    DAMN YOU SONY!!!

Things i hate:
    - this annoying wifi keepalive issue is still there!!! there is no way to keep wifi active during standby -.- damned why don't they let us users the choice... there IS an option to set the standby behavior but its still completely useless....

- sometimes there are widget issues (doesn't matter if 3rd party or preinstalled) that widgets change into editor mode when just pressing a button like update... changing screen ang going back will fix this temporarily... had this 2 times now...

- auto brigtness issue still not resolved... in low light the screen is MUCH too dark and when changing from full brightess to automatic it keeps full for a while and then goes down to min

- homescreen lag is still too much in portrait

- forced portrait is still not changable (damn i'm righthanded and want to hold it on the ROUND side when portrait is forced!!!!)

- the new ICS launcher... Sonys previous own launcher had a better overview with the sorting possibilities but ok we can have folders now...

- still no thumb keyboard -.-

things i like:
    - media from SD card is now directly available and nut just for transfer... finally i have enough memory also without root and mounting stuff ^^

- the new mini-apps are nice but there is still much potential for more apps

- the new version of "Favorites" App is very nice animated and faster

- ICS possibility to deactivate system apps that are not removable... finally i get this google music player away

- a few other ICS related things...

ALL IN ALL this update is a big disappointement... they updated to ICS, integrated one or thwo new features and that's it??? all the big issues are still there since more than six months!!!!!
    I can't remember where i read this but i think its fixed in 4.0.4,
    So you must wait for that release, Or wait for de the devs to complete the rooting for unrooted ICS 4.0.3.