URGENT - Root Certificate Expiring + Fix

Search This thread

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
Pro Tips:

If your device has been dormant, make sure you update the date and time before attempting the App Catalog Update. This is valid up until July 22, 2013.

JULY 23, 2013 & LATER: You will need to set your date back to July 22, 2013 to connect to HP's servers and get the update.

The update is available through Software Manager as an update to the HP App Catalog application. I found it easier to open the App Catalog and search for new apps. There is an Update available for download/install under the name App Catalog Update with HP listed as the publisher/developer. It seems to install better this way. I tried 3 different devices: TouchPad, Veer and Pre 2. In the end, the method I describe (set date/use App Catalog and not Software Manager) was the one that woked on Pre 2 which was the most stubborn of the 3.

If you get stuck: reboot, make sure your date and time are current (up to 22-07-13) or is set to July 22nd (use from 23-07-13 and beyond). Then get the Update from the App Catalog itself.

New activations from 23-07-13 onward are supposed to be able to get through First Use and then auto-update the certificate...

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
Didn't receive the update notification on both my Pre+ and my Pre3 (o2 germany), so I had to install the update manually via "HP Catalog Update" App in the App Catalog.
On my Touchpad, when I try to install "HP Catalog Update", I get an error...

Manually check your certificate (as shown above). Some are reporting that they have the new cert even after the fail message...

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
I use an unlocked UK Pre3 which recently received the update. I also have a spare AT&T Pre3 activated only once previously to network unlock. Due to the silly Palm/HP single-profile-device policy and some minor application incompatibilities, when I activated the AT&T Pre3 using the same webOS profile and then returned to the UK model, some apps were screwed etc. and I had to re-setup a few. Although not a major headache, I assume the same would happen if I reactivate the AT&T Pre3 to get the certificate update.

Is there a better way?
Can my AT&T model get the update from the HP server without it trying to restore the config from my UK model?
If not, on reactivating my UK model, can I use Save/Restore to revert with ease and let it re-upload that config to the HP servers?
Any other suggestions? I would appreciate your advice.

Either use the Bypass Activation method and get the update via App Catalog after some further manipulations under Impostah... http://www.webosnation.com/bypass-activation-webos-2-x

-OR-

Just create/use a second email account to use as a backup profile for your spare Pre 3.

Of the two, a second profile is by far the easiest and best method for a backup. If it moves up to being your daily driver, you can always switch it over to your primary profile.

RolandDeschain79

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Apr 16, 2012
Toronto
www.youtube.com
HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services

Hey thanks for putting together the thread. I made a little video to help users become aware of the problem and fix it. We may also need a thread about this in the TouchPad General section so more people will hear about it.

HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services(Important)

The Problem:
A vital "root certificate" on webOS devices is due to expire on July 23, 2013. This certificate gives Touchpad users access to HPs cloud services for the App catalogue and Backing up the device. When the "root certificate" expires users will no longer have access to the App catalogue and backed up data. Furthermore HPs online WebOS support is expected to disappear altogether by the end of the year. So it’s recommended to backup your personal data and essential Touchpad software to your PC now.

Read the full WebOS Survival Kit Guide Here:

The solution:
Getting a free App catalog update will fix the "root certificate" problem as long as you downloaded it before July,23,2013. If you are hearing about this after July,23,2013, then you will need to first set the date to June,23,2013. To do this boot into WebOS and go to settings/Date & Time, toggle off the "Network Time". Now adjust the date accordingly and download the Update, once complete comeback and Toggle on the "Network Time" button back to on.

To get the update in WebOS go to Downloads/HP App Catalog. Open the app Catalog and select the categories tab at the bottom. Next click on the “new” tab at the top and Scroll down the page till you see “App Catalog Update”. Now install the update and your Touchpad support will continue to work in a post WebOS world.

Note*This update requires webOS 2.1+ to be installed. Devices with older versions will need to run the WebOS Doctor first, the latest version is 3.0.5.

Additional threads and info:

HP to issue root certificate fix, ensure continued access to webOS cloud services

The webOS Survival Kit: everything you need to know should webOS doomsday come

Recommended downloads:
webOS Quick Installer

WebOS doctor

Last edited:
Reactions: RumoredNow

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
Remember: if it seems like it failed, this might be a false negative which has been happening to many users.

Don't Panic. Just verify the certificate.

If you have the Internalz Pro file manager (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/256518-internalz-pro-v1-5-0-a.html) you can use it to navigate to the certificate and open it to read the expiry date...

If you have WOSQI - a.k.a. webOS Quick Install - (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/274461-webos-quick-install-v4-5-0-a.html) you can use it to pull a copy of the certificate to your computer for examination...

Here (again) is the relevant location to navigate to/pull from. /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem

Your New Certificate should look like this:
c180xdbevqpx1plfg.jpg

If your certificate did not update, go to the HP help page and follow the instructions again.
https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate

talon4x4

Jun 26, 2009
Buffalo
I'm having a heck of a time getting this done, hopefully someone can help me out here. I have tried running the install from HP App Catalog but it fails. When I try browsing to the cert location with Internalz Pro I don't even have the directory that I need to look in. I get as far as \etc and that's it. There is no ssl directory in there.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

*UPDATE*

I got it! Apparently the date you set the Touchpad to makes a difference. I figured anything before the end date would work so I just clicked the year and set it to 2012. The update just kept failing, it wouldn't even download. I kept looking around for a fix and I found the official HP document and it recommends setting the date to 7/1/13. I did that and the update from the app store worked. Go figure.

This still doesn't explain why I can't find the directory with the certificate file but the updated succeeded so that's all I care about.

Last edited:

splitforthecity

Jan 25, 2009
I had a hell of a time trying to fix this problem. i ended up fixing it by connecting with wosqi in the command line, copied the package form /media/internal/downloads/ pulled it from the phone and installed it with wosqi.

horn34

May 30, 2011
I get "Install Failed" every single time I try this. Multiple reboots, erasing data, nothing helps. Change date, download app catalog, update failed. I've tried different dates too. Has anyone had this problem and found a fix?

RumoredNow

Feb 28, 2011
Springfield Missouri
I get "Install Failed" every single time I try this. Multiple reboots, erasing data, nothing helps. Change date, download app catalog, update failed. I've tried different dates too. Has anyone had this problem and found a fix?

You didn't mention turning off network time before rolling back the date???

Have you tried manually verifying the certificate? Many users are getting a false "Fail" message...

If you have the Internalz Pro file manager (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/256518-internalz-pro-v1-5-0-a.html) you can use it to navigate to the certificate and open it to read the expiry date...

If you have WOSQI - a.k.a. webOS Quick Install - (http://forums.webosnation.com/canuck-coding/274461-webos-quick-install-v4-5-0-a.html) you can use it to pull a copy of the certificate to your computer for examination...

Here is the relevant location to navigate to/pull from. /etc/ssl/certs/trustedcerts/PalmWebOS.pem

Your New Certificate should look like this:
c180xdbevqpx1plfg.jpg

If your certificate did not update, go to the HP help page and follow the instructions again. I believe that setting the date exactly to July 1st 2013 is critical due to reports on other threads. That specific date might be a trigger to HP servers. Another user reported that after changing the date to July 1st, 2013 he turned network time back on and that allowed a successful update (TouchPad).
https://developer.palm.com/support/applicationupdate

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Hey thanks for putting together the thread. I made a little video to help users become aware of the problem and fix it. We may also need a thread about this in the TouchPad General section so more people will hear about it.

HP TouchPad Root Certificate fix for WebOS cloud services(Important)

The Problem:
    A vital "root certificate" on webOS devices is due to expire on July 23, 2013. This certificate gives Touchpad users access to HPs cloud services for the App catalogue and Backing up the device. When the "root certificate" expires users will no longer have access to the App catalogue and backed up data. Furthermore HPs online WebOS support is expected to disappear altogether by the end of the year. So it’s recommended to backup your personal data and essential Touchpad software to your PC now.

The solution:
    Getting a free App catalog update will fix the "root certificate" problem as long as you downloaded it before July,23,2013. If you are hearing about this after July,23,2013, then you will need to first set the date to June,23,2013. To do this boot into WebOS and go to settings/Date & Time, toggle off the "Network Time". Now adjust the date accordingly and download the Update, once complete comeback and Toggle on the "Network Time" button back to on.

To get the update in WebOS go to Downloads/HP App Catalog. Open the app Catalog and select the categories tab at the bottom. Next click on the “new” tab at the top and Scroll down the page till you see “App Catalog Update”. Now install the update and your Touchpad support will continue to work in a post WebOS world.

Note*This update requires webOS 2.1+ to be installed. Devices with older versions will need to run the WebOS Doctor first, the latest version is 3.0.5.

Additional threads and info:

HP to issue root certificate fix, ensure continued access to webOS cloud services

The webOS Survival Kit: everything you need to know should webOS doomsday come

Recommended downloads:
    webOS Quick Installer

WebOS doctor