[Q] "Iron Fist" clarifications/questions

Search This thread

github

Jul 9, 2011
T-Mobile, USA
zebragravy.com
It's a good start I suppose. Here are some questions:

Does this change how users can report posts/users? Or is it still the troublesome bulky way of having to PM your forum mods and hope for the best? Sometimes days between reports and action?

Will we see more moderator involvement in the community, or will it continue to be a ghostland unless someone flashes the bat-signal for help? (I can only speak of EVO 4G forums).

In short: What should the average joe user who is, say, frustrated with [Q] in development for example, see in the upcoming days/weeks?

Hopefully this can stay on-topic :cool:

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
It's a good start I suppose. Here are some questions:

Does this change how users can report posts/users? Or is it still the troublesome bulky way of having to PM your forum mods and hope for the best? Sometimes days between reports and action?

Will we see more moderator involvement in the community, or will it continue to be a ghostland unless someone flashes the bat-signal for help? (I can only speak of EVO 4G forums).

In short: What should the average joe user who is, say, frustrated with [Q] in development for example, see in the upcoming days/weeks?

Hopefully this can stay on-topic :cool:

It isn't necessarily a matter of days or weeks of when the new report system/mod involvement will roll out. The report system is being reworked to accommodate the mods and users alike. The old way was only beneficial to the users and create hassle for the mod team. This made it more difficult to deal with reports instead of simpler. The report system was made that way in the first place because, at the time, it was the right way to do it. As the user base exploded here, it became apparent that this was no longer viable.

The old report system dumped all reports into a massive pile and made it difficult to get to the important ones that needed immediate attention. This is why you now need to PM mods to address moving threads. That isn't an important issue as much as flaming, kanging, or warez is.

There is a new system in the works to address the issues that the old system raised as well as make it simpler for users to report posts. You'll just need to be patient while the kinks are worked out. Don't worry, good things come to those who wait.

As far as mod involvement, this is where the new [revised] site direction comes in. It's no longer an act of congress to ban or discipline someone. If a user does something retarded, he will be punished. It's that simple. However, not every mod can be in every place at once. That's the whole reason we have a report function. Especially if you see a forum needs deep cleaning, you should PM the forum mod first. If that doesn't work, PM any senior mod with your problem. There is also a Requests from the users to the mods and admins sticky thread here that you can utilize.

All in all, there are good things on the way. We just need to be patient while the kinks are worked out.

Even if I understand and respect the goal to provide better methods and tools for the admins and mods of this forums, I'd like to ask the question:
"Was it necessary to use the Iron Fist picture and publish it with this title?"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Iron_Fist

In colloquial English, an "Iron Fist" refers to the authority exerted by a powerful, unforgiving governing figure, extended variously to public or private life, used to describe a person who operates under strictly authoritarian principles. Ex. "Josef Stalin ruled the USSR with an iron fist" ...

cajunflavoredbob

May 1, 2010
Your Basement
Even if I understand and respect the goal to provide better methods and tools for the admins and mods of this forums, I'd like to ask the question:

They could have called it the "Turd Ferguson Project" for all I care. The name isn't important. However, this one being the Iron Fist that is set to unleash blows to those who think it's ok to use this site as their personal dumping ground seems fair to me.

SXUsr

Jul 11, 2010
Here =)
Having been a member of the X10 and now Arc forums since joining I welcome "Iron fist", and still believe there should be a week limit when you first join before you're allowed to post anything because that way it would encourage people to search more, along with having to actually read threads where the answer being looked for has been answered a thousand times already. In regards to githubs point, I'd like to see more of that too in the Arc section.

ALL moderators imo should 1. Actually own the phone of the forum they are moderating and 2. Be able to dedicate a certain amount of time each day to the forum, which might help with keeping the forums clean because they have an interest and a duty to keep on top of things.

:)

Reactions: wildstang83

hilaireg

Moderator Emeritus
Jan 20, 2009
They could have called it the "Turd Ferguson Project" for all I care. The name isn't important. However, this one being the Iron Fist that is set to unleash blows to those who think it's ok to use this site as their personal dumping ground seems fair to me.

Spot on.

ALL moderators imo should 1. Actually own the phone of the forum they are moderating and 2. Be able to dedicate a certain amount of time each day to the forum, which might help with keeping the forums clean because they have an interest and a duty to keep on top of things.

Spot on. Our goal has been to assign mods to device forums that apply to them. When possible, we attempt to assign a few mods to each device forums such that time zone overlap occurs.

Some of the challenges we often encounter are:

• Infrequent mod attendance; this is a volunteer (aka unpaid) role after all
  • Mods who switch to a new device at some point before a replacement mod is assigned - i.e. they now manage several forums
  • Obtaining quality mod candidates
  • Mods who decide to retire

mrkite38

Retired Forum Moderator
Mar 30, 2009
California

This was covered in the message:

Svetius said:
The name "Iron Fist" is a bit of an inside joke among the moderators--we are very clearly not an unyielding Gestapo.

And, frankly, I'm glad they didn't call it the 'Turd Ferguson Project.' ;)

twospirits

Nov 28, 2007
NYC
www.S4GRU.com
In reference to reporting any problem post/member, what I've been doing lately is keeping one of my Chrome tabs with the Forum leader List open.

If I encounter a problem post/flame, I create my pm with the links to the post/thread, my reason for reporting it and if the section does not have a mod to send it to, or if i think it needs immediate attention, I then refresh that Forum Leader list to see who is on at the moment and send out the pm to the mod. 9 out of 10, they get it within moments and take care of it, unless they log off by the time the pm is sent out. (or if they deem it not necessary to report).

There are times that even if a section has a mod assigned to it, some issues need to be taken care of immediately before it escalates into a much bigger problem and that is why I'm do the method above until the new reporting system takes effect.

TS out

Last edited:

github

Jul 9, 2011
T-Mobile, USA
zebragravy.com
In reference to reporting any problem post/member, what I've been doing lately is keeping one of my Chrome tabs with the Forum leader List open.

If I encounter a problem post/flame, I create my pm with the links to the post/thread, my reason for reporting it and if the section does not have a mod to send it to, or if i think it needs immediate attention, I then refresh that Forum Leader list to see who is on at the moment and send out the pm to the mod. 9 out of 10, they get it within moments and take care of it, unless they log off by the time the pm is sent out. (or if they deem it not necessary to report).

There are times that even if a section has a mod assigned to it, some issues need to be taken care of immediately before it escalates into a much bigger problem and that is why I'm do the method above until the new reporting system takes effect.

TS out

Very good point. I try to only involve my forum mods, but I like your idea too. Depending on the issue sometimes I'll PM a few mods that I have known in the past to be pretty quick to take action and/or helpful overall.

I won't name any names, but one of them posted in here :p *cough* Thanks!

Audionut11

May 28, 2011
Hopefully with less people making useless threads etc, the older members might also chill out a little.

conantroutman

Retired Senior Moderator - XDA Portal Team
Dec 10, 2009
Having been a member of the X10 and now Arc forums since joining I welcome "Iron fist", and still believe there should be a week limit when you first join before you're allowed to post anything because that way it would encourage people to search more, along with having to actually read threads where the answer being looked for has been answered a thousand times already. In regards to githubs point, I'd like to see more of that too in the Arc section.

Id like to respond to this as I'm currently moderating the Arc section.

I do not own the device but to be honest I spend far more time in the forumsi moderate than in the forums for devices I own.

Now, atm you may be thinking, "aye right, the place is a s×××hole"
You may be right as I haven't been around much in the past few days.

However under "normal" real life circumstances. All my forums are swept at least once a day. If I should miss anything then please do not hesitate to PM me.....

I make every effort to close/delete/m ove misplaced or duplicate threads but obv. some do get missed, simply because I cannot read every thread. Again, in such a situation or if you just want to discuss the way the section is moderated then please do PM me and let me know.....

I hope that addresses some of your concerns.

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....

Reactions: nihontako

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

And, frankly, I'm glad they didn't call it the 'Turd Ferguson Project.' ;)

The "Allan Parson Project" seems a more befitting name :D
    Hopefully with less people making useless threads etc, the older members might also chill out a little.

Unfortunately there are some "older" members that are causing just as much if not more trouble than their newer counterparts.

Id like to respond to this as I'm currently moderating the Arc section.

I do not own the device but to be honest I spend far more time in the forumsi moderate than in the forums for devices I own.

Now, atm you may be thinking, "aye right, the place is a s×××hole"
    You may be right as I haven't been around much in the past few days.

However under "normal" real life circumstances. All my forums are swept at least once a day. If I should miss anything then please do not hesitate to PM me.....

I make every effort to close/delete/m ove misplaced or duplicate threads but obv. some do get missed, simply because I cannot read every thread. Again, in such a situation or if you just want to discuss the way the section is moderated then please do PM me and let me know.....

I hope that addresses some of your concerns.

Sent From My Fingers To Your Face.....