Was this documentation helpful?

• Total voters
Search This thread

p0peye

Dec 10, 2006
Belgrade
G3 unlocked

Ok.
I've followed the instructions and it is done.
My phone is sim & cid unlocked.
Although I didn't read the read me file at the begining of downgrading the rom to 1.05 (as I didn't have one - link wasn't there).
My notes are:
the progres bar (when downgrading) was frozen at 0% for a few minutes, and then again at 98%.
That's all.
Everything else was exactly like described.
Thank You all once again.
:)

groder54

Nov 8, 2006
Thanks

Hey,
Great guide, very easy to follow, I just completed it in maybe 45 minutes.
Can't miss.
Keep up the good work.

weihu

Dec 19, 2006
Yes you can. At the time Faria wasn't sure so he added that disclaimer. We have since learned that as long as it's a G3 this will work. You have to downgrade to the 1.x as that's a lokiwiz .2b requirement.

Good luck!

Help please!

My mobile is T-mobile MDA (German version) with IPL/SPL=2.21. At first I doubt whether I can CID unlock my mobile as I read that a G3 machine with IPL/SPL >=2.21 can't be unlocked. Later on I read this thread and was happy to see that "as long as it's a G3 this will work". I am in China currently and wish to use a sim card of China Mobile, which will save me a lot of money. Also I would like to see a OS in Chinese.

Today I followed the guide step by step trying to unlock the wizard. I downloaded first the CUSTOM__RUU_Wizard_1050412_WWE_101_11210_WWE.exe file and then run the program. The mobile has been detected by the Activesync and all other programs, even the anti-virus program have been shut down except the RUU. It worked fine at first. The progress bar increased from 0% to 98% gradually, but then stopped. I found that after a rather long pause the progress bar in the pc went on to 99% (it took over 10 mins for this process), but in the mobile screen, the progress bar still showed 98%. Then another 10 mins later (or even longer), the RUU reported completion of the upgrade, followed by an error message saying that "0x7c931ec3" command quotes the "0x00199922" memory, but the memory can't be written(Sorry I translate the Chinese message here and am not sure it would show the same in an English version windows xp). Another error message said that "the ROMUpdateUtility MFC Application has to be shut down. we are sorry for that".

I have tried 3 times and every time I got the same result! I also tried to upgrade it to another T-mobile 2.26 ROM (ROM recommended by Dr. Puttingham):( Now I have no idea what I can do with the machine, and don't know whether I can still install any ROM to the machine. I do wish you experts can help me out. Any suggestion would be appreciated!!

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
- weihu -

Suggest you try this on another computer. If that's not possible I'd first delete your temporary files in your user profile (not to be confiused with your temporary internet files. With Windows XP these are located (usually) in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\temp substituting your logon name for the Username. A real easy way is to paste the following into your Run box ...
cmd /k del "C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\temp" /f/s/q

run a "chkdsk /f" from a command prompt on drive C: and answer Y to the prompt and reboot your computer and let it scan for errors.

I really suspect that the issue is with you PC and not with your PPC.

What version of ActiveSync are you running also?

Good luck!

weihu

Dec 19, 2006
Suggest you try this on another computer. If that's not possible I'd first delete your temporary files in your user profile (not to be confiused with your temporary internet files. With Windows XP these are located (usually) in C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Local Settings\temp substituting your logon name for the Username. A real easy way is to paste the following into your Run box ...
cmd /k del "C:\Documents and Settings\%Username%\Local Settings\temp" /f/s/q

run a "chkdsk /f" from a command prompt on drive C: and answer Y to the prompt and reboot your computer and let it scan for errors.

I really suspect that the issue is with you PC and not with your PPC.

What version of ActiveSync are you running also

Good luck!

Hi Puttingham, thank you for your reply. I was running ActiveSync 4.2.

Today I tried it again with my friend's laptop which is equipped with windows xp English version. The result is absolutely the same! Since i can't restore the original ROM, I can't even send it back to T-Mobile. :mad: Looking forward to your more suggestions!!

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Remove the battery and then put it back in and reboot the PC and try again (every time the program doesn't work you MUST reboot the PC)

For fun try and boot you PC into safe mode with networking and see if you can downgrade.

Let us know.

weihu

Dec 19, 2006
Remove the battery and then put it back in and reboot the PC and try again (every time the program doesn't work you MUST reboot the PC)

For fun try and boot you PC into safe mode with networking and see if you can downgrade.

Let us know.

hi Puttngham, actually I rebooted the pc every time when I tried the program again. And also I have tried removing the battery before starting it again.

Could I skip the downgrading and jump to the unlocking stage with lokiwiz? I would like to try it this way.

apljuc

Sep 23, 2006
battery recognition problem

Hi there, would be grateful for any assistance you could offer. I tried to use your protocol on my T-Mobile MDA Compact II (aka charmer) as I thought it would be compatible...made it through step 3 but now I cannot turn on the phone unless it is plugged in via the charger. The battery was working fine before this and was fully charged. Furthermore, if the unit is plugged in without being turned on, the green ligt at the top still comes on, indicating the battery is at full charge. However, if on battery alone or via USB, the system can't boot up (and can't even get into bootloader); there's just a faint flash for a millisecond. When the unit is plugged in via the charger and booted up, Windows shows the battery at 0% charge and not even in the process of charging! I have figured out that I can start up via the charger, then quickly unplug the charger and plug in the USB connection, so I can connect via USB, but it stills shows the battery at 0% and therefore I cannot reflash, nor can I enter bootloader mode. Any thoughts? Thanks for your time!

OK, a word from the DOC.... to the wise ...
If one has successfully unlocked their G3 device they won't be complaining that their device doesn't have the themes, ringers, little tweaks and proggies installed by the extended ROM as these things will be installed...
btw, a G4 PDA will report an IPL and SPL similar to 2.21.0001 and a G3 PDA will report something similar to 2.21 (notice the G3 doesn't have the trailing .0001!)

Read between the lines here... almost ALL the postings of problems posted in the ROM threads are directly due to people not truly unlocking their device.

In the real world there is a phrase ... RTFM, loosely translated to "Read The Freak'n Manual"... Faria in particular took pains to create a manual for unlocking G3 devices. I've personally unlocked probably close to 50 Cingular 8125's and a few T-Mobiles. I've seen PROBABLY every situation with a G3 device here.

If you have a G3 device and follow Faria's instructions, which I only repeat time after time, you WILL have a working device..... no ****!
If you have a G4 device DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!
Also, if you DO have a G4 Wizard, please do NOT post anything here regarding how to unlock your device. This is for G3's only, please start your own thread...

So... being that my friend Faria's primary language isn't English (though he has a better mastery of it than many of my fellow Americans...) I'll expound on it ONE LAST TIME ...

1. Glance through Faria's original thread on this (he wrote the book!!)

2. Download button's 1.05 ROM

3.. Downgrade your ROM to the Button 1.05. Let it go through the whole setup please...

4. Download lokiwiz - HTC Wizard Unlocker UPDATE Version 0.2b

5. Extract the afore mentioned file to the root of your C drive. Do NOT extract to a folder with spaces...

6. Open Activesync WITH YOUR DEVICE NOT CONNECTED! and delete your partnership.

7. Connect your device and cancel the partnership. (You're a guest :) )

8. Open ActiveSync, Explore and copy enablerapi.cab from your PC's C:\ (remember that's where you extracted lokiwiz to...) to you device, I don't care where.

9. Pick up your PDA, File Explorer, find the enablerapi.cab and click it.

10. (Back to your PC) ... <Start> <Run> <cmd> <Enter> to give you a most wonderful MS Dos prompt (be afraid, VERY afraid!)

11. In the MS Dos box (mouses not allowed!!!) type "CD\" <enter> (no quotes)

12. Type "lokiwiz.bat" <enter> (Actually, if you have XP, type lok then <tab> it SHOULD complete the filename, YMMV.

13. You will see a screen that has ...

U. Unlock
L. Lock
C. CID Unlock (SuperCID)
Q. Quit

14. Hit the U key on your PC... your PDA WILL REBOOT upon completion !!!!!!!

15. Wait for your PDA to reboot, rerun the lokiwiz batch file (if you hit the up arrow key on your keyboard it will retype your last command) then hit the C key on your PC... YOUR PDA WILL REBOOT UPON COMPLETION !!!

(if your Pocket PC Phone does NOT reboot each time, you didn't do it right! Stop and make that work, trust me!, then go on)

16. Watch the rebooting of your PDA, if BOTH IPL and SPL are 1.xx then great. Quite probably your IPL will be 1.xx and your SPL will be 2.xx. Rerun the button 1.05 ROM downgrade a second time and it will become 1.x on both IPL and SPL. You don't need to redo the unlocking.

17. My suggestion, take for what it's worth, is to download and install the T-Mobile 2.26 ROM
This will give you a strong 2.26 IPL and SPL to work with. I actually downgrade to the T-Mobile 2.26 ROM each and every time I test a new ROM... maybe it why I have so little problems ?????

Now you SHOULD have a IPL and SPL of 2.26 to work with. If not, you screwed up! Don't attempt to install someone's hard work and ***** before you do these steps!

IF, by chance your device hangs and never completes the flash (always give it a LOT of time, with no programs running, hopefully after a fresh reboot of your computer) you'll be stuck in (hopefully) the bootloader screen. It's very scary (at least to me the 4 or 5 times my own custom ROM's have been bad) all is not lost. Each time (after trial and error) I was able to restore. If this happens reboot your PC and then rerun the Button 1.05. It will act like it doesn't see it at first but have faith! I've tried this by using various provider's shipped ROMs and it always tell me it can't communicate. But, if I reboot, the 1.05 has always worked.

A last note. If you DO ever go back to the 1.05 ROM for any reason you need to repeat the lokiwiz steps as you won't be able to install a 2.x IPL/SPL bootloader.

A last disclaimer
Faria originally posted this unlocking technique using Button's 1.05 and machinagod's lokiwiz 0.2b. I have merely attempted to simplify the steps.

Enjoy!

dwny

May 25, 2006
CLT / BKLYN
-weihu-I'll try to help you personally, check your PM's

Hey Doc
I noticed you guys situation and it's cool they you're working with him the way that you are. Try Xelencin's 2.26 rom...it has Manichiagod's CID unlocker included in it and the rom is based on TMo's 2.26 rom. This rom will kill alot of birds with one stone This was my very 1st rom upgrade and I haven't had any issues installing any roms since.
If you decide to go this route & no longer have access X's 2.26 rom....pm me and we'll some how work it out.

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Ouch!

-apljuc- Man I feel for you but I'd guess that you bricked it. The Charmer isn't a Wizard and you can't flash a Wizard ROM to it, at least to the best of my knowledge. I looked at the wiki under HTC_Charmer and it doesn't look good for you.

Sorry but I have no suggestions.

Good luck.

(I know you feel bad but I really do wish you would have researched a little more... I'm sure you do too, hindsight is 20/20)

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Hey Doc
I noticed you guys situation and it's cool they you're working with him the way that you are. Try Xelencin's 2.26 rom...it has Manichiagod's CID unlocker included in it and the rom is based on TMo's 2.26 rom. This rom will kill alot of birds with one stone This was my very 1st rom upgrade and I haven't had any issues installing any roms since.
If you decide to go this route & no longer have access X's 2.26 rom....pm me and we'll some how work it out.
That's not a bad idea in this instance. I'd forgotten about the Xelecin ROM, wasn't sure if when I tried it that it really unlocked the CID. Looks like a good time to kick the tires!

Thanks again.

apljuc

Sep 23, 2006
battery part 2

hi again, thanks for your thoughts, and i agree with you on all counts! question: if it is truly bricked, why is it fully functional (other than the battery) when plugged in?

-apljuc- Man I feel for you but I'd guess that you bricked it. The Charmer isn't a Wizard and you can't flash a Wizard ROM to it, at least to the best of my knowledge. I looked at the wiki under HTC_Charmer and it doesn't look good for you.

Sorry but I have no suggestions.

Good luck.

(I know you feel bad but I really do wish you would have researched a little more... I'm sure you do too, hindsight is 20/20)

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
-apljuc- I dunno! Lucky I guess. I know absolutely nothing about the Charmer though, sorry! I suggest you visit the Charmer forums here. Probably downloading and installing a Charmer ROM from the ftp would be the best approach.

Good Luck!

aarkay411

Jun 6, 2006
Dr P,

Thanks for the elaborate post. I have a Cingular 8125 - G3 and Per your post & Faria's note, I started off to downgrade to the 1.05 ROM - but unfortunately I miserably failed. At the end of the ROM upgrade where my PC read 100% & my device read 98% - I received a General Protection Fault Error & I was unable to continue doing anything. And now my phone does not seem to proceed beyond the boot up point of showing the IPL SPL of 2.25 & the four different colors. I can't even run ActiveSync on this phone and I don't know how to get this to go back to the default ROM :-(

Did I Brick my phone??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-aarkay411

Dr Puttingham

Retired Moderator
Jul 24, 2005
Delray Beach, FL
Dr P,

Thanks for the elaborate post. I have a Cingular 8125 - G3 and Per your post & Faria's note, I started off to downgrade to the 1.05 ROM - but unfortunately I miserably failed. At the end of the ROM upgrade where my PC read 100% & my device read 98% - I received a General Protection Fault Error & I was unable to continue doing anything. And now my phone does not seem to proceed beyond the boot up point of showing the IPL SPL of 2.25 & the four different colors. I can't even run ActiveSync on this phone and I don't know how to get this to go back to the default ROM :-(

Did I Brick my phone??

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
-aarkay411
And what happened after you rebooted your PC and reran the 1.05? Two paragraphs after step 17 I addressed this exact issue.

(And double posting is a no no! )

darthas

Dec 22, 2006
me too pls help!

hi i am a super newby here, so i tried to follow the steps, i was dowgrading the phone and the progress bar in pc was 98% and the pda too, after a time y accidently press enter key(i am so stupid:eek: ) and the program closes. after that the cellphone doesn`t turn on, only shows a colored screen and it says: IPL 2.25 AND SPL 2.25, i have no idea what do...please help :(

i have no a backup!

sorry for my english

Last edited:

aarkay411

Jun 6, 2006
Exact Same Problem

Darthas,

I ran into the exact same problem & Dr P asked me to re-run the 1.05 ROM. (Around two Paragraphs after step 17 - he has addressed this issue) I will be doing it today - shortly after I get to work. For both of us RTFM is the way to go.

hi i am a super newby here, so i tried to follow the steps, i was dowgrading the phone and the progress bar in pc was 98% and the pda too, after a time y accidently press enter key(i am so stupid:eek: ) and the program closes. after that the cellphone doesn`t turn on, only shows a colored screen and it says: IPL 2.25 AND SPL 2.25, i have no idea what do...please help :(

i have no a backup!

sorry for my english

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    OK, a word from the DOC.... to the wise ...
    If one has successfully unlocked their G3 device they won't be complaining that their device doesn't have the themes, ringers, little tweaks and proggies installed by the extended ROM as these things will be installed...

Vippie has prepared a nice tutorial named Howto flash a Wizard... a little tutorial! that is a "must read" IMO, please take the time!

jpmche has published an unlocking guide for our Spanish only amigos here at [Favor de Leer antes de Preguntar] La guia en Español para Des-bloquear el Wizard

mestrini recommends saving your CID block that is backed up when running the Lokiwiz tool. Lokiwiz will save it as a bin file and it is useful if you encounter a "Data Crashes. Please contact your service center" error. Please take a look at his thread.

btw, a G4 PDA will report an IPL and SPL similar to 2.21.0001 and a G3 PDA will report something similar to 2.21 (notice the G3 doesn't have the trailing .0001!)

Read between the lines here... almost ALL the postings of problems posted in the ROM threads are directly due to people not truly unlocking their device.

In the real world there is a phrase ... RTFM, loosely translated to "Read The Freak'n Manual"... Faria in particular took pains to create a manual for unlocking G3 devices. I've personally unlocked probably close to 50 Cingular 8125's and a few T-Mobiles. I've seen PROBABLY every situation with a G3 device here.

A couple of things...
    1st - Most of the custom ROM's here require that your device be CID unlocked.
    2nd - CID unlocking, as well as flashing a custom ROM, will void your warranty.
    3rd - There is always the chance, even after all precautions are taken, that you might brick your device. This, however, is extremely unlikely unless you have a G4 PDA and attempt this.
    4th - Please don't cross post. This particular thread was "stickied" to keep it at the top where noobies can see it and veterans can attempt to help. My attempt with this thread is to alleviate the posting of obvious CID unlocking problems in the chef's threads so that they can concentrate on perfecting their ROM and not answering questions that have been already been answered countless times before and really have nothing to do with their ROM.
    5th - Faria and I reference the Button 1.05 ROM. You DO NOT have to use the 1.05 to unlock your device but you may instead use an official 1.x ROM (Lokiwiz .2b only works with 1.x ROM's) if it will allow you to downgrade to it. Often, however,the only way to downgrade to an official 1.x ROM is to downgrade to the 1.05 first... catch-22.
    6th - This technique is the best way to downgrade a device to a previous version, for instance when you need to return to an official "shipped" ROM for warranty reasons.

PLEASE take the time to read all the way through this before making the decision to unlock your phone. We are not responsible for you bricking your device.

If you have a G3 device and follow Faria's instructions, which I only repeat time after time, you WILL have a working device..... no ****!
    If you have a G4 device DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, YOU WILL BRICK YOUR DEVICE!!
    Also, if you DO have a G4 Wizard, please do NOT post anything here regarding how to unlock your device. This is for G3's only, please start your own thread...

So... being that my friend Faria's primary language isn't English (though he has a better mastery of it than many of my fellow Americans...) I'll expound on it ONE LAST TIME ...

Please do not use the PC for anything, including browsing the internet, checking email, playing freecell, or anything while this is happening! Have nothing going on in the background.

mestrini advises (and I agree!)
    I've come to realize that many "NO COMMUNICATION" errors are due to low voltage battery so i think it would be good to include in your guide to have a full (or almost) battery before using any RUU.
    1. Glance through Faria's original thread on this (he wrote the book!!)

2. Download Button's 1.05 ROM at RapidShare or Badongo

3.. Downgrade your ROM to the Button 1.05. Let it go through the whole setup please...
    Note: If your device fails at 98% with a 302 error follow Vippie's advice and try the Xda_MiniS_LaunchROM_v154102 instead.

4. Download lokiwiz - HTC Wizard Unlocker UPDATE Version 0.2b

5. Extract the afore mentioned file to the root of your C drive. Do NOT extract to a folder with spaces...

6. Open Activesync WITH YOUR DEVICE NOT CONNECTED! and delete your partnership.

7. Connect your device and cancel the partnership. (You're a guest :) )

8. Open ActiveSync, Explore and copy enablerapi.cab from your PC's C:\ (remember that's where you extracted lokiwiz to...) to you device, I don't care where.

9. Pick up your PDA, File Explorer, find the enablerapi.cab and click it.

10. (Back to your PC) ... <Start> <Run> <cmd> <Enter> to give you a most wonderful MS Dos prompt (be afraid, VERY afraid!)

11. In the MS Dos box (mouses not allowed!!!) type "CD\" <enter> (no quotes)

12. Type "lokiwiz.bat" <enter> (Actually, if you have XP, type lok then <tab> it SHOULD complete the filename, YMMV.

13. You will see a screen that has ...

U. Unlock
    L. Lock
    C. CID Unlock (SuperCID)
    Q. Quit

14. Hit the U key on your PC and press <Enter> ... your PDA WILL REBOOT upon completion !!!!!!!

15. Wait for your PDA to reboot, rerun the lokiwiz batch file (if you hit the up arrow key twice on your keyboard it will retype "lokiwiz", then hit <Enter>) then hit the C key on your PC and press <Enter> ... YOUR PDA WILL REBOOT UPON COMPLETION !!!

(if your Pocket PC Phone does NOT reboot each time, you didn't do it right! Stop and make that work, trust me!, then go on)

16. Watch the rebooting of your PDA, if BOTH IPL and SPL are 1.xx then great. Quite probably your IPL will be 1.xx and your SPL will be 2.xx. Rerun the button 1.05 ROM downgrade a second time and it will become 1.x on both IPL and SPL. You don't need to redo the unlocking.

17. My suggestion, take for what it's worth, is to download and install the T-Mobile 2.26 ROM
    This will give you a strong 2.26 IPL and SPL to work with.

Now you SHOULD have a IPL and SPL of 2.26 to work with. If not, you screwed up! Don't attempt to install someone's hard work and ***** before you do these steps!

EDIT for Step 17 - Download and install the 3.08 IPL/SPL rather than the 2.26, your choice! (I suggest doing the T-Mobile 2.26 first but that's me :cool:

IF, by chance your device hangs and never completes the flash (always give it a LOT of time, with no programs running, hopefully after a fresh reboot of your computer) you'll be stuck in (hopefully) the bootloader screen. It's very scary (at least to me the 4 or 5 times my own custom ROM's have been bad) all is not lost. Each time (after trial and error) I was able to restore. If this happens reboot your PC and then rerun the Button 1.05. It will act like it doesn't see it at first but have faith! I've tried this by using various provider's shipped ROMs and it always tell me it can't communicate. But, if I reboot, the 1.05 has always worked.

If you still have issues, uninstall ActiveSync. REBOOT! Download and install ActiveSync 4.5 Don't create a partnership. Try to run the 1.05 again.

Also a good idea is to delete your Windows temp folder. With XP this is typically
    "C:\Documents and Settings\PC User's Logon Name, whatever that is\Local Settings\Temp" (Show hidden files need to be checked)
    Most of you can paste this into your "RUN" box and click OK
    cmd /k del "C:\Documents and Settings\%username%\Local Settings\Temp" /s/q/f
    (type exit and hit enter when it completes)

Also, a good idea is to close all apps, shell to a command prompt by clicking <RUN>, typing cmd and clicking OK. A nice black MS Dos box awaits. Type CHKDSK/F and enter. Then type Y and hit enter. Type exit and hit enter. Reboot your PC and let it go through the data integrity test. Try again.

A last note. If you DO ever go back to the 1.05 ROM for any reason you need to repeat the lokiwiz steps as you won't be able to install a 2.x IPL/SPL bootloader.

A last disclaimer
    Faria originally posted this unlocking technique using Button's 1.05 and machinagod's lokiwiz 0.2b. I have merely attempted to simplify the steps.

Final note
    Microsoft has asked that all ROM's be removed from the FTP and we have complied. I have searched the internet and found the Button 1.05 and T-Mobile ROM's and updated the links here. Thanks to whoever posted the Button 1.05!

Enjoy!
    Hey!!!

I'm stuck on the part to install the button 1.05 rom cause it says, when it's about to start installing, that the program stopped responding. Currently I am using windows 7, and it's a g3 wizard (qtek 9100)

try to reflash without sim card in your device, but first unlock your device first with the XDA Unlock :D:D
    Thank you....it's really work on my wizard,k-jam...now have upgraded wizard with WM 6.5 OS...thank you,great work....

hello posseble to get file for htc wizard in ptg???:(