[TOOL] Website for instant firmware update check for Xperia phones

Search This thread

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
That's very cool! A very nice app you done.

How did you generate the list for all the devices?
I built a private program called XperiFirmSearch that loops through CDAs one by one and sees if there's a firmware by that CDA and Device. It's extremely fast, it checks about 10 CDAs per second. When a CDF is found, it gets its Market (AKA "Region" in the community's slang) and Operator (AKA "Branding" in the community's slang) for it.

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
I built a private program called XperiFirmSearch that loops through CDAs one by one and sees if there's a firmware by that CDA and Device. It's extremely fast, it checks about 10 CDAs per second. When a CDF is found, it gets its Market (AKA "Region" in the community's slang) and Operator (AKA "Branding" in the community's slang) for it.

That sounds really interesting. Any reason why this tool is not open source?

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
I want a million bucks.

I don't just release code, I collaborate with developers who serve my interests. One hand washes the other.

Is this still XDA?

Isn't this the place were people share software and solutions?

I don't understand, you have done a great software like XperiFirm that does a very great job, but you want "a milion bucks" for this thing.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Is this search software something made from Sony's reverse engineering that you can't share?

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
Is this still XDA?

Isn't this the place were people share software and solutions?

I don't understand, you have done a great software like XperiFirm that does a very great job, but you want "a milion bucks" for this thing.

I'm not sure I understand your point. Is this search software something made from Sony's reverse engineering that you can't share?
You are that kind of lame person who doesn't understand sarcasm? I never said I actually want "a milion bucks or this thing". It's called sarcasm and my point is "you can't always get what you want".
If I say I don't want to share it, then just face it like a big boy. For example, I am cooperating with Flashtool's developer, simply because he actually made something useful for the community. It's highly unlikely you did as well.
@zxz0O0 since you're a dev yourself, if you wanted to discuss the sources you should have contacted me privately, like Androxyde did.
However, just as there is no copycat to Flashtool, I don't wish any greedy jerk to take my work and make a profit or steal the credit for the job that took my free time to accomplish, and this should be respected, as I get absolutely no gain from throwing the code to the horde from the goodness of my heart.

zxz0O0

Apr 18, 2011
Well, it's fine. Just as final tip, your posts (even if you think they're sarcastic, and no, not only the one above) make you look pretty arrogant. I think, it's safe to say I'm not the only one with this impression.
However, thank you for answering my question. Have a nice day.

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
You are that kind of lame person who doesn't understand sarcasm? I never said I actually want "a milion bucks or this thing". It's called sarcasm and my point is "you can't always get what you want".
If I say I don't want to share it, then just face it like a big boy. For example, I am cooperating with Flashtool's developer, simply because he actually made something useful for the community. It's highly unlikely you did as well.

I did as well... what? Cooperating with Flashtool's dev? Nope, unfortunately he didn't need my help. Made something useful for the community? Well, yes.

Now, back to your search, you know I've used XperiFirm and you know it's great. :good:

You know there are some "tools" around here to check firmware, like your XperiFirm, or UpdateChecker by @Macmol or my website, which doesn't have so many devices, but that's ok since I've made it the first time more than one year ago just for checking my Xperia Z phone.

I have a question for you, a serious one: since your search tool is so good and fast, I don't doubt that, and we don't want to hammer Sony servers, do you think is there a way to create a big one database that we can check online and that can feed all this data to your software, or another one, or flashtool or anyone?

Of course you don't have to do all this alone.

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
I did as well... what? Cooperating with Flashtool's dev? Nope, unfortunately he didn't need my help. Made something useful for the community? Well, yes.

Now, back to your search, you know I've used XperiFirm and you know it's great. :good:

You know there are some "tools" around here to check firmware, like your XperiFirm, or UpdateChecker by @Macmol or my website, which doesn't have so many devices, but that's ok since I've made it the first time more than one year ago just for checking my Xperia Z phone.

I have a question for you, a serious one: since your search tool is so good and fast, I don't doubt that, and we don't want to hammer Sony servers, do you think is there a way to create a big one database that we can check online and that can feed all this data to your software, or another one, or flashtool or anyone?

Of course you don't have to do all this alone.
When I first made XperiFirm, it was for my benefit at first, then I decided that it'll serve the community well. I never, ever, said that I am that kind of person who shares everything. This is what I get for sharing: being called arrogant, being blamed for wanting profit, being asked for more and more. I should have kept it for myself and save me some nerves.

The important thing, after all, is not XperiFirmSearch, but its output (the CDAs). What good will it give if every pro and noob as one will start playing with it and hammer Sony servers, right?
Right now I'm storing the results of XperiFirmSearch on my private site, only because I have no "major" place to create a dedicated, public database. I won't mind if people would use this kind of database for their project, but I would mind if they use the one stored on my website (limited bandwidth concerns).

pascalbrax

Nov 15, 2010
When I first made XperiFirm, it was for my benefit at first, then I decided that it'll serve the community well. I never, ever, said that I am that kind of person who shares everything. This is what I get for sharing: being called arrogant, being blamed for wanting profit, being asked for more and more. I should have kept it for myself and save me some nerves.

Oh man, I understand you. I've made my web page just for myself and for fun and now people complain that it doesn't have enough devices. :fingers-crossed:

You're called arrogant because of your posts, not because of what you've done.

For what is worth, you gave to the community a very nice tool and I'm grateful to you for that.

The important thing, after all, is not XperiFirmSearch, but its output (the CDAs). What good will it give if every pro and noob as one will start playing with it and hammer Sony servers, right?

Yes, the search results are very interesting. Mainly because YOUR LISTS ARE THE BEST HERE. Mind you, the other update checker tool is updated by the community, my web site is updated by myself when I find the right info around and I discard old phones because there's no need for a firmware check of an old Xperia S.

But your list is 100% complete and automatic. That's why I was giving you the hint that all these software could benefit from your work.

Of course, if you want to share it with everyone, this is your call.

Right now I'm storing the results of XperiFirmSearch on my private site, only because I have no "major" place to create a dedicated, public database. I won't mind if people would use this kind of database for their project, but I would mind if they use the one stored on my website (limited bandwidth concerns).

if you're interested, I have a few hosts and databases around the internet and if I can help you somehow, just tell me what you need. I have much respect for your work and your privacy.

IgorEisberg

Jul 6, 2009
www.audiobudget.com
if you're interested, I have a few hosts and databases around the internet and if I can help you somehow, just tell me what you need. I have much respect for your work and your privacy.
Thank you. I store the lists in XMLs, since I do some fixing of the Operator labels (Sony has a weird and inconsistent way of writing operator names) so it's just a fast storage for XMLs that is needed.

By the way, I'm not a modest person, that I know already. But "arrogant" is an overstatement.

Generally, I have a syncing software that can upload updates quickly.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Hi everybody!

This post is probably already late for party, but I wanted to share with you a website I've done in june 2013 first for checking the availability of new firmwares for the Sony Xperia Z phone and then expanded to more Sony devices.

Sony firmware check

This is a website (which works very nicely from mobile, too) to quickly check if Sony has released a new firmware for your phone model based on your Customization ID number stored inside your phone.

It allows you to save a bookmark for your very own phone (I have one myself on my phone homescreen) and it also allows you to have a dynamic image to insert in your signature on forum boards for brag and stuff.

It does NOT (yet) allow you to download FTF firmwares from different regions. If you need an update check AND a sort of FTF files index, I suggest the awesome updatechecker (for Windows) by Macmol.

This is the website: http://scavenger.ch/xperiaupdate/

I hope you can find it useful. Any (good or bad) feedback is very welcome.
    The website is under heavy maintenance, it's not dead, yet. :)
    We have a better tool

You know, I have linked that tool in my post...

And it's definitely a very nice tool (and I love the direct links to the FTF files), the only "flaw" is it only works on Windows, but hey, the more, the better. Right?

Also if a lot of people are checking their device the website will be very very slow.

Mh... nope, not really. The website caches requests for the same firmware for a short period of time to avoid overloading Sony server. If the reply is slow it's because the Sony server are slow in that moment, there's nothing I can do without generating even more load on Sony servers side.
    Thanks. I like this website.

I already have a browser open after my Windows started so I don't need another tool just to check for a easy version number. This website is a better fit for me.
    Why don't you query laguCool's server? This way you'd in sync with his device / cust # list but still have the benfit of a website (i.e. it runs on any device and no need to download anything).

http://www.iagucool.com/xperifirm/devices.xml
    http://www.iagucool.com/xperifirm/device/D5503.xml