It's incredible like one lier publish something like this. Then all internet reply the lie. Obviously the very first autor of this idea only for collaborate with ideas to run one App that normally is not possible run on certain devices...
I'm Android Developer with knowledgment on Native Developer (NDK). My diagnosis about this post is here:
1. Recompile library is not necessary WHY?. Natively BBM comes with library ARMv7. All devices currently are ARMv7 recompile libraries only has sense if are recompile it for ARMv6 but normally this type of devices only have 256 Mb or less. The application will colapse for requirements. (Tegra 2 are the only ones devices could need libraries recompiled without NEON instructions).
2. The APK published here is identical to APK from Blackberry, the only one difference is AndroidManifest.xml the which is changed with minimum sdk requeried. This parameter let the App install on any devices with API level >=10. But the App is crashed on devices with Honeycomb or less.
3. It's near to be impossible make this APK run on Android Gingerbread because require ActionBar only avaible on Honeycomb and newer. Google has proportionated libraries to develop App with ActionBar on Gingerbread and older but is not identical and this needs developed with this library since beginning. When you run this App on Debugger can you see how method "getActionBar" is not found.
4. To give support to this Application the method coud be decompile to Smalli and try to rewrite the method but this task is very hard because Java Smalli is an language with leve lower than Java.
5. Honestly we have Android Gingerbread devices but our devices is near to end of life, so is not very usefull work with this Application without some stilmulus, possible one Developer from one University can take this like a Goal for make his Professional Resume more competitive.