Car charger that charges at wall charger speeds?

Search This thread

JWhipple

Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Any car chargers that anyone could point me to that charges as fast as a wall charger?

As it is right now, unless I have my screen off and no apps running it drains faster than the charger can put juice into it...

I'm just using an el-cheap-o aftermarket car charger.

Thanks!

G1ForFun

Retired Forum Moderator
Feb 1, 2010
Any car chargers that anyone could point me to that charges as fast as a wall charger?

As it is right now, unless I have my screen off and no apps running it drains faster than the charger can put juice into it...

I'm just using an el-cheap-o aftermarket car charger.

Thanks!

What I use is a cig to usb plug (cost me 10 bucks at walmart). Then I bring the cord from home that came with my phone and plug that into the USB to cig thingy. Works like a charm, I haven't noticed it charging slower than when at home.

elbarto7

Oct 12, 2010
Springfield
Reactions: JWhipple

darll

Oct 29, 2011
i bought one from t-mobile... its about $29 but its worth the price. I get charge speeds btw 850ma and 950ma when on idle

pyraxiate

Jun 24, 2007
Baltimore
Just get any standard microusb charger rated at 1a (or 1000mAh ). I'm betting your elcheapo is .5a (500mAh).

Sent from my SGH-T989 using xda premium

jordanishere

Sep 13, 2011
our device requires an official samsung charger to charge at full ac speed. there was an article on the xda front page last week about how to mod your charger to be recognized as official.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

JWhipple

Jul 16, 2008
Melbourne, FL
our device requires an official samsung charger to charge at full ac speed. there was an article on the xda front page last week about how to mod your charger to be recognized as official.

Sent from my Galaxy S II

All I know is that now I can run my GPS with the screen on and still move UP in battery - before it would drain faster than the car charger would charge, so, I'm happy with what I have now.

Wareazy

Nov 1, 2011
NYC
Actually the problem is that some of the car chargers are not at 1amp output but less .75 or .85. Thats why your not really seeing an increase. The stock charger is at 1amp. I know AllGamer likes to use the Blackberry ones (which i believe are 1.5amps) Correct me if im wrong AllGamer.
So just look for 1 amp car chargers the cable doesnt matter itll hold whatever you attach it to.

Dougshell

Feb 26, 2012
So, no matter wht brand charger you have as long as you connect the two middle pins you will get full charge as long as the charger can put out 1000ma?

I really need a good charger for the car, right now i use a blackberry charger at work an it charges pretty fast. But i need to know how do i find the currect charge rate of a charger. Is there an app for that?

T

The_Biz

Get tmobiles car charger. Its faster than any others I've tried.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-4

Dougshell

Feb 26, 2012
Does anyone have an experience with this charger from MONOPRICE
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1082603&p_id=8858&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I need a great car charger and really dont want to spend to much money on it. Furthermore, if I am getting a 1+amp charger, as long as i am using the stock samsung charging cable then it shouldnt matter if the charger itself has D- and D+ shorted right?

Im assuming this is something standard on all usb CHARGING cables as appose to data cables.?

T

The_Biz

Does anyone have an experience with this charger from MONOPRICE
http://www.monoprice.com/products/p..._id=1082603&p_id=8858&seq=1&format=4#feedback

I need a great car charger and really dont want to spend to much money on it. Furthermore, if I am getting a 1+amp charger, as long as i am using the stock samsung charging cable then it shouldnt matter if the charger itself has D- and D+ shorted right?

Im assuming this is something standard on all usb CHARGING cables as appose to data cables.?

You want a good reliable charger at eBay pricing..... spend the money 1 time and be done with it. You could've already gotten the T-Mobile one and been done with it.

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk 2 Beta-5

setzer715

Jan 29, 2009
North Phoenix
For those of you buying the USB 12V Cigarette adapters read this.

Basically if you use a data sync cord with one of those adapters, unless it shorts the 2 data pins together internally (probably not) the phone is going to think it's plugged into a computer and only charge at 500ma (max output for a computer USB port). The write up above explains to short the 2 data cables together (this is done internally with the main AC charger head) back towards the phone so it will charge at 1amp instead of 500ma.

You can buy this cable and just modify it as described. I bought this USB adapter so I could charge 2 things at once.

Last edited:

Dougshell

Feb 26, 2012
Let me get this clear.

All i need to look for when it is charging is AC mode. As long as it says that, it doesnt matter what i have or have not done to the cables, AC mode is AC mode.

The charger i am looking at getting is 2.1 amp (because it has a spare usb port...so 1amp per line) and when i plug it in and it says AC MODE then its good to go right.

I just bought a TMOBILE offical charger that shows AC MODE, so when it MONOPRICE charger arrives i can compare. If it doesnt work its another 5 bucks, if it does i can take the tmo one back.

But again i am just wondering are there any caveats to AC MODE, or is it that once AC mode shows that is all that matters.

Top Liked Posts