Need an extra charger

Search This thread

Finire

Oct 24, 2010
New York
Has anyone ELSE actually verified this? I tested mine with a multi-meter and it only has a 5 volt difference of potential across pins 1 and 4. I'm really tempted to cut apart a usb extension cable so that I can check voltage DURING charge then cut it apart and check the amperage.

If you cut it open, you will notice the voltage differences. The AC Block they use, is "smart" sensing. As in if you plug in a regular device, it will run the regular 5v.

SUH

Aug 19, 2012
A FULL CHARGE SHOULDN'T TAKE NO LESS THAN 2HRS. NOW UNTIL ASUS ADRESSES THE BATTERY ISSUE WITH A OTA(OVER THE AIR )UPDATE I WOULD SUGGEST GOING 2 GOOGLE PLAY N DOWNLOADED THE APP JUICE DEFENDER. THERE'S A FREE VERSION N A PAID VERSION I'VE HAVE ON MY SMARTFONE N MY TF700 IT WORKS VERY WELL. N U CAN CUSTOMIZE IT 2 UR LIKING N USER FRIENDLY. NOTE: THIS APP MAY NOT WORK WITH ALL SMARTFONES.

Sent from my VS920 4G using xda app-developers app

guho

Oct 9, 2007
Samsung Galaxy Tab A series

Finire

Oct 24, 2010
New York
One reviewer on amazon said the car charger does not work for the tf700t. Can you confirm your car charger works well on the tf700t?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using xda premium

I can verify that my car charger works perfectly with my TF700, and to comment further, the cord is just as insanely long. It'll easily reach the back seat if anyone back there needs to use it.

AnakiMana

Aug 24, 2012
I used Monoprice's support page to send a product suggestion to them. I asked them for wall and car chargers, USB power adapters that do 15v and other power requirements we have with our Transformer tablets. Maybe if enough of us petition them, Monoprice will make some accessories for us!

lafester

Feb 11, 2007
Mine came today from amazon... will be testing more tonight. quality seems good, length is good for the chargers although the usb cable is shorter.
Will be very nice having multiple charging options.

eckka

Aug 24, 2008
Adelaide
I bought this off eBay and it works perfectly. It is about 6 times the size of the one that comes with the tablet but the cable is quite long.

I also bought this to see what the circuitry was like, particularly to see how they got 15V from a 12V supply and found that it had a 12V 2A regulator circuit inside. I ended up using just the cable and converting a Kensington Netbook powersupply which was able to provide 12V at 2.5A. This too works perfectly so I am convinced that the Asus range of tablets charge quite happily from a 12V source, as long as the current output is high enough! This idea will really only suit those capable of circuit analysis and have good soldering skills.

The other option is to look for the Original Asus Travel charger which has the interchangeable power adapters. Otherwise the charger which comes with the tablet, assuming you bought it in the US, auto-senses the input voltage and is suitable for any input from 110 - 240V.

Cheers,

Eric

Last edited:

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
From what I have seen, the ASUS power cord has a 5 pin setup whereas my current car chargers (Griffin PowerJolt Dual and PowerJolt Dual Micro) have only a 4 pin assembly. I've tried it a couple of times but it seems that they will not charge with the stock charging cable, meaning that my computer will not either (even from USB 3 ports).

Is this the case? If so, I suppose I'll need n ASUS charger with either dual USB or else with a cutout so that I can plug in my micro into that, eh?

eckka

Aug 24, 2008
Adelaide
From what I have seen, the ASUS power cord has a 5 pin setup whereas my current car chargers (Griffin PowerJolt Dual and PowerJolt Dual Micro) have only a 4 pin assembly. I've tried it a couple of times but it seems that they will not charge with the stock charging cable, meaning that my computer will not either (even from USB 3 ports).

Is this the case? If so, I suppose I'll need n ASUS charger with either dual USB or else with a cutout so that I can plug in my micro into that, eh?

As you say, the ASUS system uses 5 pins which is unique to the way their chargers are designed. It is an extra GROUND wire which triggers the circuitry to deliver 15V instead 5V through the USB cable. The TF700 and indeed IIRC, all the Transformer range charge from 15V NOT 5V and therefore cannot be charged from a USB port.

I don't think you will find an ASUS car charger which will provide you with a dual output, one 15V and another 5V. The charger I converted, described in the post above, runs from 240V and provides the necessary minimum charge voltage of 12V and also offers an extra 5V USB charge port. I don't think any car charger would offer this option.

hello-hello

Jun 17, 2007
This one works for me

I got this one from Amazon the car and wall charger both work great on my tf700.

As I cannot post a web site please alter the link to make it work

3 w's amazon DOTcom/gp/product/B0081BFYY2/ref=oh_details_o01_s00_i00

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
As you say, the ASUS system uses 5 pins which is unique to the way their chargers are designed. It is an extra GROUND wire which triggers the circuitry to deliver 15V instead 5V through the USB cable. The TF700 and indeed IIRC, all the Transformer range charge from 15V NOT 5V and therefore cannot be charged from a USB port.

I don't think you will find an ASUS car charger which will provide you with a dual output, one 15V and another 5V. The charger I converted, described in the post above, runs from 240V and provides the necessary minimum charge voltage of 12V and also offers an extra 5V USB charge port. I don't think any car charger would offer this option.

I found several generic ones, mostly by GT Max, that have a split port design, 2.1A on one USB port and 1.0 on the other. Searching Google, I found true dual port 2.1 A chargers (where both Ports are supplying 2.1A). Most of them are geared toward Apple products.

I went ahead and purchased a mixed dual port adapter by GT Max from Amazon, silver, for $4.99 plus $2.98 shipping. I'll report back when it arrives as to pin configuration of each port, as well as with URL. Someone earlier had posted a URL from which I made my selection, but since i am on Tapatalk, I can't really get it right now.

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.246 via Tapatalk 2

eckka

Aug 24, 2008
Adelaide
I found several generic ones, mostly by GT Max, that have a split port design, 2.1A on one USB port and 1.0 on the other. Searching Google, I found true dual port 2.1 A chargers (where both Ports are supplying 2.1A). Most of them are geared toward Apple products.

I went ahead and purchased a mixed dual port adapter by GT Max from Amazon, silver, for $4.99 plus $2.98 shipping. I'll report back when it arrives as to pin configuration of each port, as well as with URL. Someone earlier had posted a URL from which I made my selection, but since i am on Tapatalk, I can't really get it right now.

Sent from my rooted BIONIC running ICS 6.7.246 via Tapatalk 2

I'm afraid that even though you will have ports capable of outputting up to 2.1Amps you will find that because they are USB chargers you will only get a voltage output of 5V from each outlet. The Transformer range WILL NOT charge on anything less then 12V. You can't charge your tablet from a USB port or charger, no matter how many Amps it can deliver!

johnlgalt

Nov 16, 2009
Atlanta
androidforums.com
I'm afraid that even though you will have ports capable of outputting up to 2.1Amps you will find that because they are USB chargers you will only get a voltage output of 5V from each outlet. The Transformer range WILL NOT charge on anything less then 12V. You can't charge your tablet from a USB port or charger, no matter how many Amps it can deliver!

I'm hoping for it to work, as I saw someone else having reported they had already purchased it and it was working.

This is the item: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005XRFRNU/ref=ox_ya_os_product

It does say output is 5V / 2000 mA, but I wanted to test it - if it does not work, well, it's a nice gift for my Mom, who happens to have a Silver colored Infinity and needs something like this anyway to charger her phone with.

No real loss.

Top Liked Posts