[REF] Your One-Stop Shop for the Note II (Kernels, Roms, Guides, Modems, Etc.)

Search This thread

phierce

Mar 3, 2011
Hi,

I'd like to flash Bell's stock firmware on my Telus SGH-I317M.

1. I'm rooted using CF's method and TWRP installed
2. I have downloaded Bell's firmware from Sammobile
3. I did (successfully) flash the "I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_I317MVLALJ2_HOME.tar.md5 " file using Odin BUT after reboot the firmware still shows as Telus', the modem is still Telus' - basically no (visible) changes whatsoever.
4. Currently there is no version of Bell's stock ROM, flashable from recovery (I assume I should wipe the current system files from within the recovery, in order to be able to start fresh and then continue installing the "zip" version of the stock ROM from within recovery) - but then again, a zip file is not yet available.

Is there any way to actually do that BEFORE somebody repacks the existing "*tar.md5" file into a "*.zip" file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

This is really weird: I figured I would use Mobile Odin Pro since it has the ability to also wipe clean data/cache/Dalvik, so:
1. I used the above tar.md5 file (Bell)
2. Before flashing I opted for wiping data/cache/Dalvik cache
3. The flashing process went through nice and smoothly, no hiccups

but guess what?...the firmware is still Telus AND so is the modem. I'm puzzled. I am very much aware of the fact that the firmwares for the 3 Canadian companies are the same, but what about the modems, CSC and the specific files? No matter what I do, I just can't get rid of this Telus ROM.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

I have the opposite Problem from bell to Telus Stock firmware. Bell blost remains after wipe . How do I get pure telus as ut has no bloat

Sent from my SGH-I317M using xda app-developers app

nacos

Sep 27, 2007
Here & Now
I have the opposite Problem from bell to Telus Stock firmware. Bell blost remains after wipe . How do I get pure telus as ut has no bloat

That's actually rather simple. Download the Telus stock firmware from Sammobile, flash it, clear Dalvik cache and then root it - although meanwhile I've learned that the Canadian firmware versions are all the same, including the radios - so in the end doesn't really matter. As far as Bell's bloat, you can use Titanium Backup to clean/freeze - it's much easier. I think you'll have less hassle than going through all of the above.

phierce

Mar 3, 2011

Hi,

I'd like to flash Bell's stock firmware on my Telus SGH-I317M.

1. I'm rooted using CF's method and TWRP installed
2. I have downloaded Bell's firmware from Sammobile
3. I did (successfully) flash the "I317MVLALJ2_I317MOYAALJ2_I317MVLALJ2_HOME.tar.md5 " file using Odin BUT after reboot the firmware still shows as Telus', the modem is still Telus' - basically no (visible) changes whatsoever.
4. Currently there is no version of Bell's stock ROM, flashable from recovery (I assume I should wipe the current system files from within the recovery, in order to be able to start fresh and then continue installing the "zip" version of the stock ROM from within recovery) - but then again, a zip file is not yet available.

Is there any way to actually do that BEFORE somebody repacks the existing "*tar.md5" file into a "*.zip" file?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Update:

This is really weird: I figured I would use Mobile Odin Pro since it has the ability to also wipe clean data/cache/Dalvik, so:
1. I used the above tar.md5 file (Bell)
2. Before flashing I opted for wiping data/cache/Dalvik cache
3. The flashing process went through nice and smoothly, no hiccups

but guess what?...the firmware is still Telus AND so is the modem. I'm puzzled. I am very much aware of the fact that the firmwares for the 3 Canadian companies are the same, but what about the modems, CSC and the specific files? No matter what I do, I just can't get rid of this Telus ROM.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Thanks

Try dialing *#272*imei# then select ur carrier ..it will preform a factory reset.. goodluck

DeathEvil

Mar 6, 2011
It would be nice if op was updated with "how to enable google wallet on AT&T Note 2" with clear step by step instructions

Reactions: capite

mjwhirly

Aug 16, 2010
FL
It would be nice if op was updated with "how to enable google wallet on AT&T Note 2" with clear step by step instructions

Also toss in how to sim unlock for free...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using xda app-developers app

Guys sorry I've been horribly busy this week with finals, when I get a chance I'll add those threads, also depending on time might try and give this an overhaul to make it a little easier to navigate to what you need

mjwhirly

Aug 16, 2010
FL
I need to megawipe my phone.

Is there anyway we can have this tool http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1983489 from the N7100 forum be compatible with our device.

Twrp does all of this already. I remember darkside wipe from the i717 and it always caused problems.

Sent from my SGH-I317 using xda premium

Yeah just as cjsspape said, there are four options to wipe from in the recovery menu with TWRP, factory reset, /system, /cache, and dalvik cache....you don't really need anymore

Plus i had problems too when using the superwipe for my skyrocket so i wouldn't recommend it

Reactions: conflict0102

bigern79

Mar 23, 2007
Bothell, WA
Full factory restore

Thanks for all these helpful links. I have an SGH-i317 (AT&T) model that I needed to return to full stock for warranty purposes. I used the stock root link here to flash the recovery and ROM to stock, then planned to unroot the phone. The problem I had, which several other people reported as well, is that the boot splash screen did not show "AT&T" but rather "Android".

Not sure I'm explaining this very well, but in order to get back to full, true stock, I had to use the terribly written yet very helpful instructions found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33977987&postcount=3

Not sure if these were copied from someone else, but regardless, I think they should be added to the one stop shop links. Proved to be the only way to solve my problem, and thought this might help others. :highfive:

GetPatriotized

Jun 11, 2011
Toronto
How do I get TWRP running? I've tried numerous times but I always get stuck in the TWRP/Samsung screens and end up in a boot loop. Had to use Odin to restore 3 times!

mjwhirly

Aug 16, 2010
FL
How do I get TWRP running? I've tried numerous times but I always get stuck in the TWRP/Samsung screens and end up in a boot loop. Had to use Odin to restore 3 times!

Download goo manager, click menu button and click option "install openrecovery script", it will then download and flash TWRP to your phone then just boot into recovery

SimonNWalker

Sep 1, 2007
Lancaster, SC
www.TheSavvyTechs.com
Thanks for all these helpful links. I have an SGH-i317 (AT&T) model that I needed to return to full stock for warranty purposes. I used the stock root link here to flash the recovery and ROM to stock, then planned to unroot the phone. The problem I had, which several other people reported as well, is that the boot splash screen did not show "AT&T" but rather "Android".

Not sure I'm explaining this very well, but in order to get back to full, true stock, I had to use the terribly written yet very helpful instructions found here:

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=33977987&postcount=3

Not sure if these were copied from someone else, but regardless, I think they should be added to the one stop shop links. Proved to be the only way to solve my problem, and thought this might help others. :highfive:

If you really want to ensure that your phone is PURE STOCK, just use ODIN and flash the Base Factory Firmware image!
You can download the image from SamMobile and ODIN you can find all over these forums.

That will give you 100% stock phone!

Just be sure to backup all your stuff before you do this and be sure you know what you are doing!

UPDATE: LOL. I should have followed your link... That is what you ended up doing... Boy those sure are badly written instructions though...

Dr. Evo

May 24, 2010
Washington, DC
Ultimate Newbie Rooting Question...

Sorry to ask this, but I have basically ZERO experience with rooting. It's all so complex and most of all, time consuming. Just never seem to have enough time to do all the reading I need.

At any rate, I hope this is a simple question that hasn't been answered: is the initial posting the actual steps (IN ORDER) that one needs to follow to successfully root their phones? I just need some lamens terms basics on how to get this started... pretty much step-by-step. What do I need to install 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so forth? Is there a specific order, regardless, or can you just install whatever/whenever??? I hope this question is making sense. If there are actual universal steps to follow, can some be kind enough to type them out to me or if they are already listed, provide me a link. I am really wanting to root my Note II. Tired on waiting for updates from AT&T and I have some issues that kind of require rooting.

Thanks in advance.

royalh

Feb 25, 2006
Portland
Sorry to ask this, but I have basically ZERO experience with rooting. It's all so complex and most of all, time consuming. Just never seem to have enough time to do all the reading I need.

At any rate, I hope this is a simple question that hasn't been answered: is the initial posting the actual steps (IN ORDER) that one needs to follow to successfully root their phones? I just need some lamens terms basics on how to get this started... pretty much step-by-step. What do I need to install 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and so forth? Is there a specific order, regardless, or can you just install whatever/whenever??? I hope this question is making sense. If there are actual universal steps to follow, can some be kind enough to type them out to me or if they are already listed, provide me a link. I am really wanting to root my Note II. Tired on waiting for updates from AT&T and I have some issues that kind of require rooting.

Thanks in advance.
I had no experience as of 1 month ago when I got my first Android phone... I was able to search and read and follow the directions to root and rom my SGN2 with 0 problems. You just need to spend the effort to read some threads and figure it out instead of expecting people to hold your hand and spoon feed it to you. You won't learn by having people do it for you - you learn by reading and doing.

I'll give you a hint though... I learned all I needed to from the "no tripping flag counter and stock rooted" thread. You can find the link in the OP.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317

Top Liked Posts