[APP][MortScript][Alpha] OSLoader - Android on Windows (Embedded) CE

• Thread starter Deleted member 1890170
  • Start date
Search This thread
D

Deleted member 1890170

My 2 din chinese radio with WinCe 6.0 has the arm1136jf-s processor.... where I need to put this information?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk 2
Sorry for being delayed.

First thing of all things is you must know the corresponding Linux "Machine Type" of your "arm1136jf-s" unit.
In Linux you would run
Code:
echo -n "Machine Type: ";uname -m
to get this info.

But obviously there is no way to retrieve equivalent info in Windows (Embedded) CE.

If you could get the machine type code, then in script RunAndroid.mscr you edit the line #253
Code:
haretcfg&="^NL^set mtype 2030"
accordingly.

patriciogac

Aug 2, 2008
Sorry for being delayed.

First thing of all things is you must know the corresponding Linux "Machine Type" of your "arm1136jf-s" unit.
In Linux you would run
Code:
echo -n "Machine Type: ";uname -m
to get this info.

But obviously there is no way to retrieve equivalent info in Windows (Embedded) CE.

If you could get the machine type code, then in script RunAndroid.mscr you edit the line #253
Code:
haretcfg&="^NL^set mtype 2030"
accordingly.

line #253 said

haretcfg&="^NL^set mtype "&MACHINE_TYPE_ID

... I ask, I have to put the machine code instead of MACHINE_TYPE_ID ??
Thanks for answer!

mxgmer

Dec 27, 2007
Would this work on a semi bricked phone (Motorola MPX-220) running Windows Mobile 5 if the phone specs were known? In other words install an SD card and boot to Android instead of the semi-dead Windows? The phone does boot to the Cingular splash page but stops before the OS fully loads. It lost power during an OS update and has been dead ever since. I looked at the specs and they are kind of wimpy. I'm not so sure it would run a decent version of Android. It might be fun to try this in any case.

D

Deleted member 1890170

Give it a try - but always remember OSLoader is intended to be used with Windows CE units.

Note that of course this only will work if

1. the SD-card still gets completely initialized and is read when the MPX-220 starts up
2. you know ( I don't know ! ) of the appropriate so-called "SD AutoRun mechanism" with which you can force the MPX-220 to run a specific program located on SD card - in our case OSLoader - when device starts up

BTW, as I've read probably Froyo 2.2 is the best choice to start with.

D

Deleted member 1890170

line #253 said

haretcfg&="^NL^set mtype "&MACHINE_TYPE_ID

... I ask, I have to put the machine code instead of MACHINE_TYPE_ID ??
Thanks for answer!
I was mistaken - looked an outdated script version. Actual version of script RunAndroid.mscr dates 07-08-2013. Sorry for this.

Indeed you have to edit line #12
Code:
MACHINE_TYPE_ID="1084"  // ex. samsung s3c2443
means you replace number 1084 with your device's machine type id.

mxgmer

Dec 27, 2007
Well I do have some scripts from the Motorola update programs I can peek at. Thanks for the opinion on Froyo. I was actually thinking older though, lol. I already have ROMs for 1.5, 1.6 and 1.9 which I can look at too. They are for WinCE devices with 300mhz Arm cpu.

Give it a try - but always remember OSLoader is intended to be used with Windows CE units.

Note that of course this only will work if

1. the SD-card still gets completely initialized and is read when the MPX-220 starts up
2. you know ( I don't know ! ) of the appropriate so-called "SD AutoRun mechanism" with which you can force the MPX-220 to run a specific program located on SD card - in our case OSLoader - when device starts up

BTW, as I've read probably Froyo 2.2 is the best choice to start with.

Rancher18

Sep 2, 2008
Yes I know there is Gen.Y DualBOOT out since January, 2010, a bootlauncher application for Windows Mobile. It is not designed to be used with landscape oriented touchscreen devices running Windows (Embedded) CE - as this is the case with many SatNav units. Also, for me, it is not generic enough, ex. drive names where an Android installation is searched for, are hardcoded. Hence I decided to 're-code' this bootloader in MortScript, so that each one can modify the code on the fly, if needed. I named the project 'OSLoader'.

OSLoaderMenu-Demo-Screenshot.png

Be aware, 'OSLoader' is only a bootlauncher application, so that you still need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself.
And, as it is with Gen.Y DualBOOT too, actually 'HaRET' is used to boot Android.

Important Note:
Besides the fact you need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself - the Android distribution that comes with 'OSLoader' only serves demonstration purposes, it doesn't make any sense to try to get Android running on Windows (Embedded) CE via 'HaRET', if you can't obtain a copy of CE's main display driver as named in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\MainDisplay, (perhaps using tool 'NDumpCE' by ablbd and renaming this 'ddi.dll' to 'ace_ddi.dll' ) this because 'HaRET' (at least all its current available versions I've used) expects library 'ace_ddi.dll' (a Samsung's main display driver) to be present in device's folder \Windows. Of course 'OSLoader' comes with a 'ace_ddi.dll' replacement...

'OSLoader' is still under development. It may be incomplete, may contain bugs. Please feel free to report any bugs, suggest any improvements.

Downloads: see post #2
Installation Instructions: see post #3

Disclaimer:

THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION AND ANY AND ALL UPDATES AND MODIFICATIONS TO THEM ARE LICENSED 'AS IS.' I DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION WILL BE CORRECTED OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN ERROR-FREE. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES COVERING THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABLITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT

Credits:

Mirko Schenk (AKA Mort) -> MortScript [ http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?lang=en ]
TroNik -> CE-utilities (esp. RegFlushKey.exe)
Daniel Schumann .-> SystemInformation [ http://www.ultimatelaunch.de/index_en.html ]

PLEASE ALWAYS USE THIS THREAD TO POST ISSUES RELATED TO OSLoader, DO NOT PM ME. THANK YOU.

Can you help me to do that on Toshiba journe touch ??

jornetouch "like" dual boot divice http://www.mobilegeeks.de/witstech-...ows-ce-6-0-im-dual-boot-fur-unter-200-dollar/

oneway2k

Nov 16, 2005
I'm getting an error that says "Haret is not running in 'system' mode. Major functionality will not be present" and "cannot read trailer". I'm just trying to run this on Windows ce 6.0 embedded emulator run from Visual Studio 2005. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

patriciogac

Aug 2, 2008
I was mistaken - looked an outdated script version. Actual version of script RunAndroid.mscr dates 07-08-2013. Sorry for this.

Indeed you have to edit line #12
Code:
MACHINE_TYPE_ID="1084"  // ex. samsung s3c2443
means you replace number 1084 with your device's machine type id.

Do you have a link from where I can download an Android rom that I can use with OsLoader? I like to give a second chance on install your software on my WinCE 2 din chinese radio...

duqtape

Apr 5, 2021
@jwoegerbauer - I know this is an old thread, but would it be possible to get a copy of the OSLoader software? I'm attempting to rehab an older SatNav device which runs on Windows Compact Embedded 6.5.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Yes I know there is Gen.Y DualBOOT out since January, 2010, a bootlauncher application for Windows Mobile. It is not designed to be used with landscape oriented touchscreen devices running Windows (Embedded) CE - as this is the case with many SatNav units. Also, for me, it is not generic enough, ex. drive names where an Android installation is searched for, are hardcoded. Hence I decided to 're-code' this bootloader in MortScript, so that each one can modify the code on the fly, if needed. I named the project 'OSLoader'.

OSLoaderMenu-Demo-Screenshot.png

Be aware, 'OSLoader' is only a bootlauncher application, so that you still need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself.
    And, as it is with Gen.Y DualBOOT too, actually 'HaRET' is used to boot Android.

Important Note:
    Besides the fact you need to provide a suitable Android on your CE device for yourself - the Android distribution that comes with 'OSLoader' only serves demonstration purposes, it doesn't make any sense to try to get Android running on Windows (Embedded) CE via 'HaRET', if you can't obtain a copy of CE's main display driver as named in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\GDI\Drivers\MainDisplay, (perhaps using tool 'NDumpCE' by ablbd and renaming this 'ddi.dll' to 'ace_ddi.dll' ) this because 'HaRET' (at least all its current available versions I've used) expects library 'ace_ddi.dll' (a Samsung's main display driver) to be present in device's folder \Windows. Of course 'OSLoader' comes with a 'ace_ddi.dll' replacement...

'OSLoader' is still under development. It may be incomplete, may contain bugs. Please feel free to report any bugs, suggest any improvements.

Downloads: see post #2
    Installation Instructions: see post #3

Disclaimer:

THE SOFTWARE AND DOCUMENTATION AND ANY AND ALL UPDATES AND MODIFICATIONS TO THEM ARE LICENSED 'AS IS.' I DO NOT REPRESENT OR WARRANT THAT ERRORS IN THE SOFTWARE OR ITS DOCUMENTATION WILL BE CORRECTED OR THAT THE SOFTWARE WILL RUN ERROR-FREE. THERE ARE NO WARRANTIES COVERING THE SOFTWARE OR DOCUMENTATION, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION ANY WARRANTY OF DESIGN, MERCHANTABLITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR AGAINST INFRINGEMENT

Credits:

Mirko Schenk (AKA Mort) -> MortScript [ http://www.sto-helit.de/index.php?lang=en ]
    TroNik -> CE-utilities (esp. RegFlushKey.exe)
    Daniel Schumann .-> SystemInformation [ http://www.ultimatelaunch.de/index_en.html ]

PLEASE ALWAYS USE THIS THREAD TO POST ISSUES RELATED TO OSLoader, DO NOT PM ME. THANK YOU.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Version history:

2013-08-05 Fixed some typos (thanks to bulldozerecske)
    Version 0.0.4 Android-on-CE-DualBoot-0.0.4.zip MD5: 1d73ade6ac8cbc102dc603dfa8d4d66d

2012-12-27 Fixed calculation of RAM needed to run supplied Android port
    Version 0.0.3

2012-12-24 Script bugs fixed (thanks to Viper The Ripper)
    Version 0.0.2

2012-12-20 Initial release
    Version 0.0.1

Kindly remark: Please do NOT mirror 'OSLoader' somewhere else. Thank you.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Installation Instructions:

Unpack .ZIP to root of SD-card. Run <sd-card>\OSLoader\OSLoader.exe
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    FAQ:

1. How does HaRET work?
    As I understand it, the Android port you privide IS NOT A ROM. Hence you copy the Rootfs, Kernel and HaRet to the SD-card and run it. No flashing at all. HaRET unloads Windows (Embedded) CE and starts Android. The internal storage is mounted under Android as a normal partition. After a soft-reset (warm-boot) it returns to Windows (Embedded) CE automatically. So no flashing and no formatting with different filesystem.

2. What is the correct machine type ID for my device?
    Honestly I don't know this. AFAIK a generic machine type isn't defined here. If you don't find a valuable identifier please feel free to register your device with http://www.arm.linux.org.uk/developer/machines/ and then use the machine type ID assigned.
    D
    Deleted member 1890170
    Awesome! this will work on all devices with windows ce 6.0?
    I've looking for running Android on my Toshiba Journe Touch with windows ce 6.0 but I've never found anyone who port Android to this device :( so I will try you work! ;)
    I would like to have Android, whichever (donut, froyo...) would be better than windows ce :(
    If you mean 'OSLoader' itself, then the answer is YES. If you mean the applied Android distribution, then the answer is I DON'T KNOW. :)