[Q] TF700 bricked...?

Search This thread

pippolino123

Nov 18, 2008
Well, I was trying to install CM11 and did something wrong... most likely I was flashing with TWRP instead of clockworkmod recovery.
Moreover, shame on me, I did a "wipe data" or similar thing while in the confusion and now I have just the message "the device is unlocked" when booting - no access to TWRP when holding power+volume down, nothing else... am I in a dead-end? any suggestion?

Thanks in advance! :(

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Fastboot

Well, I was trying to install CM11 and did something wrong... most likely I was flashing with TWRP instead of clockworkmod recovery.
Moreover, shame on me, I did a "wipe data" or similar thing while in the confusion and now I have just the message "the device is unlocked" when booting - no access to TWRP when holding power+volume down, nothing else... am I in a dead-end? any suggestion?

Thanks in advance! :(

Does it go into fastboot after you see the unlock device, do you get the three icons you would normally see??

lj50036

Feb 14, 2013
FUXDA
Well if you do send it in... When you get it back look me up... We will get your blobs off it so you can't brick it!!!!!

Sent from my One using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
So since I feel like I have a complex problem that I can't seem to search for, I'm piggy backing this thread. It's been a year since I rooted this tablet, and I went on deployment with it. Worst ROM ever, couldn't get YouTube, WiFi was sketchy at best so I came back and it even had the OTA updater to update to a newer version, well that wouldn't load at all.

So I was in the process of trying to kill this crap ROM and upload I think CYA.. eh it's not the issue. So the first thing it asked me to do was this TWRP (which is new to me from a year ago) and I installed v2.5.0.0. When the tablet was working, that program seemed to work just fine, but when I rebooted in to RCK, it's so skewed and off center that I can't see half the screen. So when I tried to update to this new ROM, I kept getting download faults, so I figured I was stuck with this crap ROM because basically I quit trying. Well I tried to restart my tablet and this TWRP thing came up and asked if I wanted to run this (NEWVERSION).zip (I don't want to call out the development team, I'm sure their most recent update is much better) but basically it was the new version of the ROM I was running, so I let TWRP (from the loaded up tablet) to "install new zip" so I of course wiped data, cache and dalvik (I didn't save anything to this tablet, nothing to lose)

Well now, I'm stuck in the bricked mode of ASUS screen. If I hold down volume and power, I get RCK/Android/Wipe Data. I ever get the computer asking me to install new drivers, but of course it won't recognize the TF700 as a disk.

Any suggestions on how to get this thing back?

berndblb

Inactive Recognized Contributor
Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
First the good news:
The page with the three icons is the bootloader menu which means you should have fastboot access to your tablet from your computer.
You can use fastboot to flash a new recovery (TWRP) and once that is installed you can flash the new rom.
So this can be fixed relatively easy, but you have to do some reading before attempting it. Done correctly this is a safe procedure. Done without understanding what you are doing could leave you with a hard brick - right now you're probably just soft bricked.

So I was in the process of trying to kill this crap ROM and upload I think CYA.. eh it's not the issue. So the first thing it asked me to do was this TWRP (which is new to me from a year ago) and I installed v2.5.0.0. When the tablet was working, that program seemed to work just fine, but when I rebooted in to RCK, it's so skewed and off center that I can't see half the screen.

I am not sure what happened here. I have used TWRP since version 2.3.x and never had the problem you describe. I suspect you installed a version for a different device - not the one specific for the TF700.

Well I tried to restart my tablet and this TWRP thing came up and asked if I wanted to run this (NEWVERSION).zip (I don't want to call out the development team, I'm sure their most recent update is much better) but basically it was the new version of the ROM I was running, so I let TWRP (from the loaded up tablet) to "install new zip" so I of course wiped data, cache and dalvik.

Are you sure you had TWRP installed???
If I understand this correctly, you booted the tablet normally and got a notification to upgrade the STOCK rom to a newer STOCK version? TWRP would not do that - it just doesn't have the functionality to recognize a newer firmware version.
If you say you "let TWRP from the loaded up tablet to install new zip" - do you mean you were booted into Android? You were running the system? That would clinch it: Whatever you were using (and I am afraid it was ROMToolbox or some such) - it was not TWRP. TWRP is your custom recovery. You have to boot into it to use it.

Well now, I'm stuck in the bricked mode of ASUS screen. If I hold down volume and power, I get RCK/Android/Wipe Data. I ever get the computer asking me to install new drivers, but of course it won't recognize the TF700 as a disk.

Question: Did you unlock the tablet? Did you use the Asus Unlock Tool to unlock the bootloader or did you just root it? When you booted it up: Do you remember seeing "This device is unlocked" in tiny script in the upper left?

I assumed you were unlocked, but writing this post I developed doubt. I suspect you just rooted, downloaded ROMToolbox and tried to flash a new rom through it.
That does not work on this device. You have to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and then you can flash a custom rom. Do not use ROMToolbox on this device!

So before I even attempt to explain the fastboot procedure, I have to know if you unlocked your TF700.
If not, you can't use fastboot.
Your last option then would be to pray that the stock recovery still works and flash the stock firmware.

Last edited:
Reactions: s14owner95

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
First the good news:
I am not sure what happened here. I have used TWRP since version 2.3.x and never had the problem you describe. I suspect you installed a version for a different device - not the one specific for the TF700.

That's a good possibility since I was trying to locate what I wanted via my phone, my laptop crashed last week, which is really the only reason I busted out this tablet, I borrowed a computer to try to get this fixed

If I understand this correctly, you booted the tablet normally and got a notification to upgrade the STOCK rom to a newer STOCK version? TWRP would not do that - it just doesn't have the functionality to recognize a newer firmware version.
If you say you "let TWRP from the loaded up tablet to install new zip" - do you mean you were booted into Android? You were running the system? That would clinch it: Whatever you were using (and I am afraid it was ROMToolbox or some such) - it was not TWRP. TWRP is your custom recovery. You have to boot into it to use it.

TWRP didn't ask me about the update, the OTA Updater built into the ROM that I installed at the beginning of the year did. After I unsuccessfully tried to install the TWRP and CYNA ROM, I rebooted and the OTA came up saying a newer version was available, once it went to reboot into recovery, TWRP came up

Question: Did you unlock the tablet? Did you use the Asus Unlock Tool to unlock the bootloader or did you just root it? When you booted it up: Do you remember seeing "This device is unlocked" in tiny script in the upper left?

I assumed you were unlocked, but writing this post I developed doubt. I suspect you just rooted, downloaded ROMToolbox and tried to flash a new rom through it.
That does not work on this device. You have unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and then you can flash a custom rom. Do not use ROMToolbox on this device!

So before I even attempt to explain the fastboot procedure, I have to know if you unlocked your TF700.
Your last option then would be to pray that the stock recovery still works and flash the stock firmware.
I know I went to the ASUS website and unlocked the tablet, it does say "This device is unlocked" at the top left once I turn on the computer.. I'm going to try to screen shot from my phone and update what TWRP looks like on the tablet in recovery

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
Hope this worked

Attachments

• 1387671618248.jpg
    1387671618248.jpg
    254.7 KB · Views: 32

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
That's a good possibility since I was trying to locate what I wanted via my phone, my laptop crashed last week, which is really the only reason I busted out this tablet, I borrowed a computer to try to get this fixed

TWRP didn't ask me about the update, the OTA Updater built into the ROM that I installed at the beginning of the year did. After I unsuccessfully tried to install the TWRP and CYNA ROM, I rebooted and the OTA came up saying a newer version was available, once it went to reboot into recovery, TWRP came up

I know I went to the ASUS website and unlocked the tablet, it does say "This device is unlocked" at the top left once I turn on the computer.. I'm going to try to screen shot from my phone and update what TWRP looks like on the tablet in recovery

Never mind! You don't want to boot into an incompatible recovery if you can help it!
But that's good new!
Check out this post I wrote a little while back and let me know if you have questions:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...6920-tutorial-flashing-custom-rom-tf700t.html

Edit: What I don't understand is how you got a notification for an OTA update.... You shouldn't if you are unlocked....
What rom are you running???

Last edited:

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
Never mind! You don't want to boot into an incompatible recovery if you can help it!
But that's good new!
Check out this post I wrote a little while back and let me know if you have questions:
http://forums.androidcentral.com/as...6920-tutorial-flashing-custom-rom-tf700t.html

Edit: What I don't understand is how you got a notification for an OTA update.... You shouldn't if you are unlocked....
OK, so my computer never actually installs the drivers for the TF700, but ADB worked and I flashed TWRP 2.6.3.2 because it was the newest version, everything went through, it says OKAY and finished, it allowed me to reboot, but I still get the frozen ASUS screen and if I reboot into recovery, I still have that screwed up screen that I posted a few screen shots back. I need to download another ROM.. I have this other one on here, but I can't push the zip, I forgot how. I'm researching..

Thank you so much for the help so far

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

But that's good new!

The ROM I was running had an "OTA Updater" which updated the ROM I was using, I don't want to blast them, but it's just not a good ROM.

So now, I was able to "fastboot devices" and it says 015d25681a481802 fastboot" It let me type the command "fastboot -i 0x05B0 flas recovery twrp.blob

But now I can't flash anything else. Like I said, I can't get the drivers to fully install so I can't mount the tablet like an external drive, I can't even get it passed the "ASUS" title page. Is there a way I can push this 4.2.1 CROMi ROM through fastboot?

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
OK, so my computer never actually installs the drivers for the TF700, but ADB worked and I flashed TWRP 2.6.3.2 because it was the newest version, everything went through, it says OKAY and finished, it allowed me to reboot, but I still get the frozen ASUS screen and if I reboot into recovery, I still have that screwed up screen that I posted a few screen shots back. I need to download another ROM.. I have this other one on here, but I can't push the zip, I forgot how. I'm researching..

Mmmhh, your tablet may need a little deeper cleaning. Check out buster99's post (#12). His method has helped dozens recover from worse than you have right now.
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179759&page=2
His instructions are for the TF300. naturally you want to flash the blob for the TF700. That would get you back to a healthy stock system. Then you can again flash TWRP and through it a custom rom.
Good luck!

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

---------- Post added at 02:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 AM ----------

The ROM I was running had an "OTA Updater" which updated the ROM I was using, I don't want to blast them, but it's just not a good ROM.

So now, I was able to "fastboot devices" and it says 015d25681a481802 fastboot" It let me type the command "fastboot -i 0x05B0 flas recovery twrp.blob

But now I can't flash anything else. Like I said, I can't get the drivers to fully install so I can't mount the tablet like an external drive, I can't even get it passed the "ASUS" title page. Is there a way I can push this 4.2.1 CROMi ROM through fastboot?

Are you saying the twrp flash went ok?
You don't flash the rom in fastboot. You boot back into recovery, choose "Install" and select the CROMi-X zip you downloaded.
But before you do that I would seriously suggest you format your data partition. That means you have to have the downlaoded rom zip on your external card (otherwise you will erase it with the format).
So boot into TWRP, choose Wipe > Advanced > Format data
Then go back to TWRP Home, choose Install and navigate to the CromiX zip. Make sure the box "verify zip signature" is checked and flash the rom.
Do this only if you have a working recovery!!! Do not attempt with your busted one!!

You can only access the tablet in MTP (as an external drive) if your system is working. It's not - yet.

Last edited:

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
OK, so here's the lastest for me. I tried to "adb push ROM.zip ROM.zip/sdcard/" - error: device not found. I also tried "adb sideload" -error: device not found.

Also now, instead of the computer asking me to install drivers for my new device, it's registered as a "android bootloader interface" I tried to download the ASUS android USB drivers and update them, but Windows thinks my drivers are up to date.

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
OK, so here's the lastest for me. I tried to "adb push ROM.zip ROM.zip/sdcard/" - error: device not found. I also tried "adb sideload" -error: device not found.

Also now, instead of the computer asking me to install drivers for my new device, it's registered as a "android bootloader interface" I tried to download the ASUS android USB drivers and update them, but Windows thinks my drivers are up to date.

To use ADB you have to be in your recovery or the Android system needs to run.
If you have a working recovery back - why do you want to mess with ADB unless you are familiar with it? You are treading on thin ice doing stuff without really understanding what you are doing! What's the rush?

s14owner95

Dec 29, 2010
The problem is that I don't have a working recovery back. i still have that screwed up screen that only shows a portion of TWRP. It let me push that recovery to it, but I can't see enough of the recovery to actually flash something to it..

I tried to download the drivers and push those manually, but windows doesn't recognize it

berndblb

Nov 22, 2012
Los Angeles, CA
The problem is that I don't have a working recovery back. i still have that screwed up screen that only shows a portion of TWRP. It let me push that recovery to it, but I can't see enough of the recovery to actually flash something to it..

I tried to download the drivers and push those manually, but windows doesn't recognize it

Your drivers are working. You need different sets of drivers for different modes: fastboot drivers, adb drivers, mtp drivers.
Your tablet shows up as a bootloader interface because it is in fastboot mode - ergo the fastboot drivers are working.
You HAVE to get a working recovery onto the tablet. It will NOT work without a recovery. To push a rom zip to the tablet is useless - the only thing working on your tablet is fastboot mode.
If the recovery flash fails, try buster99's method. That should clean all the crud off your partitions.
But you need to have the Asus firmware blob file for this! You cannot do this with any rom zip!!

Edit: You did push the correct recovery this time, did you?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    First the good news:
    The page with the three icons is the bootloader menu which means you should have fastboot access to your tablet from your computer.
    You can use fastboot to flash a new recovery (TWRP) and once that is installed you can flash the new rom.
    So this can be fixed relatively easy, but you have to do some reading before attempting it. Done correctly this is a safe procedure. Done without understanding what you are doing could leave you with a hard brick - right now you're probably just soft bricked.

So I was in the process of trying to kill this crap ROM and upload I think CYA.. eh it's not the issue. So the first thing it asked me to do was this TWRP (which is new to me from a year ago) and I installed v2.5.0.0. When the tablet was working, that program seemed to work just fine, but when I rebooted in to RCK, it's so skewed and off center that I can't see half the screen.

Well I tried to restart my tablet and this TWRP thing came up and asked if I wanted to run this (NEWVERSION).zip (I don't want to call out the development team, I'm sure their most recent update is much better) but basically it was the new version of the ROM I was running, so I let TWRP (from the loaded up tablet) to "install new zip" so I of course wiped data, cache and dalvik.

That does not work on this device. You have to unlock the bootloader, install a custom recovery and then you can flash a custom rom. Do not use ROMToolbox on this device!

But that's good new!

Mmmhh, your tablet may need a little deeper cleaning. Check out buster99's post (#12). His method has helped dozens recover from worse than you have right now.
    http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2179759&page=2
    His instructions are for the TF300. naturally you want to flash the blob for the TF700. That would get you back to a healthy stock system. Then you can again flash TWRP and through it a custom rom.
    Good luck!

---------- Post added at 05:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:28 PM ----------

Are you saying the twrp flash went ok?
    You don't flash the rom in fastboot. You boot back into recovery, choose "Install" and select the CROMi-X zip you downloaded.
    But before you do that I would seriously suggest you format your data partition. That means you have to have the downlaoded rom zip on your external card (otherwise you will erase it with the format).
    So boot into TWRP, choose Wipe > Advanced > Format data
    Then go back to TWRP Home, choose Install and navigate to the CromiX zip. Make sure the box "verify zip signature" is checked and flash the rom.
    Do this only if you have a working recovery!!! Do not attempt with your busted one!!

You can only access the tablet in MTP (as an external drive) if your system is working. It's not - yet.

To use ADB you have to be in your recovery or the Android system needs to run.
    If you have a working recovery back - why do you want to mess with ADB unless you are familiar with it? You are treading on thin ice doing stuff without really understanding what you are doing! What's the rush?

Your drivers are working. You need different sets of drivers for different modes: fastboot drivers, adb drivers, mtp drivers.
    Your tablet shows up as a bootloader interface because it is in fastboot mode - ergo the fastboot drivers are working.
    You HAVE to get a working recovery onto the tablet. It will NOT work without a recovery. To push a rom zip to the tablet is useless - the only thing working on your tablet is fastboot mode.
    If the recovery flash fails, try buster99's method. That should clean all the crud off your partitions.
    But you need to have the Asus firmware blob file for this! You cannot do this with any rom zip!!

Edit: You did push the correct recovery this time, did you?