[Q] I think i bought a bricked X8 - help!

Search This thread

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
hi,

I bought a X8 by mail delivery from the internet and got a bricked phone (so it seems)!
Symptom is phone doesn't connect to GSM network, and although i can scan for networks i can't connect to them. Tried several networks, same result. Everything else seems to work fine.

I'm completely newbie to Android phones, and only bought this one to try to avoid to stay behind, but this was a lousy way to start.:mad: I've been browsing through the forum, but there's too much info which only makes it more confusing to me.:(
I tried connecting the phone to S1tool and msm7227setool but i can't find the SEMC flash drivers, and although i browsed through the forum stickies for them i didn't find them.

So, my questions are:

1- Can someone provide a link to the drivers?
2- Is the following link the best way to solve my problem?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304258&highlight=no+network
3- I also want to debrand the phone, from the 360 apps i assume the phone is from vodafone. Can you recommend a fast ROM with full features support? And a good noob proof flash tutorial..
4- Will any of the above operations remove my SP unlock?

Sorry if most (or all) of this questions are a repetition of past threads, but starting with a phone this way, i honestly feel like a donkey looking at a palace! (Portuguese proverb, not sure you'll understand:))

Thanks, Regards!

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland
hi,

I bought a X8 by mail delivery from the internet and got a bricked phone (so it seems)!
Symptom is phone doesn't connect to GSM network, and although i can scan for networks i can't connect to them. Tried several networks, same result. Everything else seems to work fine.

I'm completely newbie to Android phones, and only bought this one to try to avoid to stay behind, but this was a lousy way to start.:mad: I've been browsing through the forum, but there's too much info which only makes it more confusing to me.:(
I tried connecting the phone to S1tool and msm7227setool but i can't find the SEMC flash drivers, and although i browsed through the forum stickies for them i didn't find them.

So, my questions are:

1- Can someone provide a link to the drivers?
2- Is the following link the best way to solve my problem?
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1304258&highlight=no+network
3- I also want to debrand the phone, from the 360 apps i assume the phone is from vodafone. Can you recommend a fast ROM with full features support? And a good noob proof flash tutorial..
4- Will any of the above operations remove my SP unlock?

Sorry if most (or all) of this questions are a repetition of past threads, but starting with a phone this way, i honestly feel like a donkey looking at a palace! (Portuguese proverb, not sure you'll understand:))

Thanks, Regards!

I have a X8 on Vodafone, and when I repairded my X8 in PCC it removed the vodafone apps and icon from Settings :-D

Sent from my tablet running Honeycomb

X8invisible

Oct 22, 2011
Internal Storage
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I have a X8 on Vodafone, and when I repairded my X8 in PCC it removed the vodafone apps and icon from Settings :-D

Just 4 curiosity how to make the vodafone icons appear again??just4fun:D
Sorry for off-topic thing
As irishstuff said u should try to update your phone with pc companion(google it) and try to update the software.After that if u want to root your phone and install recovery search in xda for x8toolbox , is the most noob-friendly thing u will find

Last edited:

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
As irishstuff said u should try to update your phone with pc companion(google it) and try to update the software.After that if u want to root your phone and install recovery search in xda for x8toolbox , is the most noob-friendly thing u will find
Thanx for clarifying that.
But, if i update the phone via PCC, won't i lose the sp unlock? I'm saying this cuz i read that the no network problem is due to sim lock protection.

B

B.Jay

Thanx for clarifying that.
But, if i update the phone via PCC, won't i lose the sp unlock? I'm saying this cuz i read that the no network problem is due to sim lock protection.

sp unlock? You mean "SIM unlocked"?

No, you won't lose the unlocked SIM by simply flashing back to Stock through PC Companion (in case PCC tells you that there's no update available you need to resort to the Flashtool method).

As for the drivers ... best method would be to install PC Companion. However, if you don't want that crapware on your system I can upload you the drivers (out of PCC) in a ZIP - then you have to point Windows manually to the directory so it can find the appropriate driver (EDIT: shouldn't be much of a trouble if you're familiar with installing drivers by pointing Windows to the directory or the INF file).

The only situation where you might lose your SIM unlock is at unlocking the boot loader to enable installation of custom kernels, but before you head into that you better check the manufacturing date of your phone (sticker below the battery) and then look through this forum to work out if it's a candidate for hard bricking or not.

Last edited:

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
sp unlock? You mean "SIM unlocked"?

No, you won't lose the unlocked SIM by simply flashing back to Stock through PC Companion (in case PCC tells you that there's no update available you need to resort to the Flashtool method).

As for the drivers ... best method would be to install PC Companion. However, if you don't want that crapware on your system I can upload you the drivers (out of PCC) in a ZIP - then you have to point Windows manually to the directory so it can find the appropriate driver (EDIT: shouldn't be much of a trouble if you're familiar with installing drivers by pointing Windows to the directory or the INF file).

The only situation where you might lose your SIM unlock is at unlocking the boot loader to enable installation of custom kernels, but before you head into that you better check the manufacturing date of your phone (sticker below the battery) and then look through this forum to work out if it's a candidate for hard bricking or not.

Yup, it says up to date, just clicked repair to see if it works. crapware.. lol, yeah i'd appreciate that zip file, thanks.

I think the issue is exactly that, a bad boot loader unlock, at least all symptoms point to that.. all i see in no network threads seems to be pointing there.

Thanx!

P.S.- SP (service provider) Unlocked. ;)

Last edited:
B

B.Jay

yeah i'd appreciate that zip file, thanks.

Download here
The Sony Ericsson X8 (and possibly other SE phones) Android drivers (ADB / Smartphone / USB Flash Device) for Windows (incl. x64 Editions) out of the latest and greatest PC Companion crapware.

I think the issue is exactly that, a bad boot loader unlock, at least all symptoms point to that.. all i see in no network threads seems to be pointing there.

Errr... no. A "unsuccessful" boot loader unlock would turn your device into a hard brick (no lights, no vibration, no screen). As you're able to boot up into Android the bootloader and kernel seems to be intact.

IF the previous owner (in case you bought it used) tinkered around with boot loader unlocking ...

Use the s1tool to verify if the boot loader is locked or not. If it's unlocked simply follow the tutorial in the Development section to relock the boot loader or try the trick deedii posted about first (she had the same problem that GSM radio went dead after unlocking the boot loader).

---------- Post added at 12:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:36 AM ----------

*ping* driver ZIP download link inserted

Last edited:

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Holy crap! :confused:
Thanx for the zip btw..

I hit Repair in PCC and it re-flashed the phone. Now, instead of no network, the phone doesn't recognize ANY SIM card!!:mad:

I checked boot loader with S1tool, and the phone is locked (i see R).

I'm starting to think maybe it's a hardware problem and not from ROM.

Any ideas? Thanks.

B

B.Jay

Thanx for the zip btw..

No problem, you're welcome.

I hit Repair in PCC and it re-flashed the phone. Now, instead of no network, the phone doesn't recognize ANY SIM card!!:mad:

I checked boot loader with S1tool, and the phone is locked (i see R).

I'm starting to think maybe it's a hardware problem and not from ROM.

Any ideas? Thanks.

Yes, the "R" means the boot loader is locked.

As for the mSD card ... here's where we enter "trouble reloaded":

- What card? Class? Size? Brand?
- Does the card hold any important data? If not try to reformat the card (FAT32!!!). If Android refuses to format the mSD simply use a card reader and re-format the mSD in Windows.

EDIT: Also, just to make sure everything's vanilla: could you please take a look into Settings -> About phone to confirm you're running the genuine SE baseband/kernel and not some custom kernel?

EDIT 2: Errrrrrrrr.... never mind ... I somehow misread "SIM card" as "SD card". My fault!

Last edited:

- Swift -

Sep 8, 2011
Galway, Ireland

I actually don't have a clue, but I was glad when thety went :)
I dont like operators branding the phone with the software :)
The only apps i had by the operator (vodafone IE) were
Gold Rush, Vodafone Music Store, SIM Settings and SIM Toolkit <- I have GDX and i still have toolkit. XD

I had the 'vodafone 360' option in Settings

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
B.B.- M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015
kernel- 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1

Thanks again.

B

B.Jay

B.B.- M76XX-TSNCJOLYM-53404015
kernel- 2.6.29 SEMCUser@SEMCHost #1

Yes, that's definitely the genuine baseband and kernel.

However, no matter how hard I think it through I don't see a good reason why it won't accept ANY SIM card, as a SIM unlock (or carrier/operator unlock if you want to put it that way) is as good as permanent unless you play around with unlocking the bootloader and either do something wrong or face the problem that it suddenly reverts back to the original SIM lock (in case it got unlocked and didn't ship unlocked by default).

The only problem I know about is ... if you live in a region where you would actually need a E15a baseband but happen to have the E15i baseband (you know, has to do with the frequencies that get used to transmit between your phone and the tower) flashed - or the other way around - you won't be able to connect to the GSM/3G network - but even then the phone won't reject the SIM card but simply fail to find any network.

In that case the problem resolve would be as easy as swapping out the baseband through flashing by Flashtool.

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Good morning,

This keeps getting more and more confusing... thank god you've been such a valuable help BJ! :)

Dunno if it's "don't accept SIM" as much as don't recognize them.. I usually remove PIN codes from all my SIM's but today i've popped a new one to see if anything different happened.. The phone asked me for pin and validated it, but after this it doesn't recognize it anymore, i get a SIM with a red "!" on top of it in the upper right corner of the screen (same icon you get without SIM in phone).
As for all the other cards, it doesn't appear such icon, the phone starts normally and then asks for language and after asks to "insert SIM and restart phone"..

I don't think baseband is the problem, i think it's definitely related to SIM card reading.

NOTE: Before seemed irrelevant but now seems important to say, before, when i scanned for networks and tried to connect to one (same from SIM), phone gave me a message saying something like "your SIM card doesn't allow connecting to this network".

The problem seems to be definitely SIM card reader, the big doubt is if it's HW or SW.

My best guess is SW, because he can read PIN's but then just locks.. Where is the SIM card reader "driver"? baseband, kernel, ROM? should i try to update all those?

Thanks again!

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
hello again,

i found this in SETool forum which seems to be exactly my problem.
E15i - (x8) it doesn't read sim card and hangs during unlocking

I've had a problem with XPERIA X8 (E15i) for a long time now and I can't fix it.
I was trying to unlock it. I updated Android to v. 2.1. I have credits, I turn on debugg mode, I installed drivers. I push 1,2,5 and press Unlock/Repair.
Unfortunately it didn't finish, the program froze and switched off (on Vista). It took 5 credits. After turning it back on it wouldn't log to the network, even though it saw the network. But it shows that the phone is unlocked. By Setool I installed the version form after the update. After that it stopped detecting the sim card.
In hosting I read that I should repeat the unlock. I reinstalled the drivers, downloaded setool's previous version (v1.1106), but the program hangs every time in the same place and it doesn't go to the end (see screen below). With v1.1107 there's the same problem. I tried on Vista and XP – no difference. I installed setool on my other computer, where there are no boxes, drivers or antiviruses and still I couldn't succeed.
Does anyone have some expirience with the x8?
Thx in advance for help.

---------------

reflash phone with generic 2.1 firmware, repeat unlock procedure.

to restore phone to original state, write as script most earlier secunits backup from backup\%imei% folder
Could this be a bad unlock problem?

Thanx.

X8invisible

Oct 22, 2011
Internal Storage
Google Pixel 7 Pro
I actually don't have a clue, but I was glad when thety went :)
I dont like operators branding the phone with the software :)
The only apps i had by the operator (vodafone IE) were
Gold Rush, Vodafone Music Store, SIM Settings and SIM Toolkit <- I have GDX and i still have toolkit. XD

I had the 'vodafone 360' option in Settings

Sim toolkit is on every phone,not only on vodafone

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Been reading more and more, and this seem to be a very common issue in SETool SIM unlocking. can anyone suggest a solution?

Thanks.

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Hello again,

I've been trying to run msm7227 setool2 and semc, but seem to be getting nowhere.. enters debugging mode and nothing else. What am i doing wrong?

Also, i've read in the following thread that sometimes boot is unlocked and S1tool says it's locked, but i can't find SEUS to download anywhere in the forum..
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1404148&highlight=sim+card

HEEELLP!!!

Thanks.

B

B.Jay

Hi, madz ...

To pull it together:

- The "SIM reader" is a software that comes as a part of Android in the form of a system app (inside /system/app). You can't exchange the related parts as they are specific to the Android version, in case your thoughts are running into this direction.

- The problem with "SEtool" is more like this ...
Let us assume the phone was originally SIM locked (bound to only allow SIMs of a specific operator/carrier) and then got SIM unlocked. The original SIM lock will jump back into place once the the boot loader got unlocked.

My observation is that this problem should actually go away once the boot loader got re-locked again. That being said I also read various threads where the SIM lock didn't vanish and the phone had to be unlocked anew.

On another note, it also depends on how the phone got unlocked ... there's a difference if it got SIM unlocked through SEtool or through Omious (<-- I hope it's spelled right)

The one fact that remains: simply querying the boot loader status ("R" vs "r") does not make the SIM lock to fire.

- SEUS ... well ...
I found Update Service (SEUS) 2.11.10.7 in the depths of my hard drive. Going to slap it on MultiUpload for you in a minute - though I can't guarantee that it still works; all I know is that SEUS got discontinued (or something along that line). Wait for the edit of the download!

EDIT: MultiUpload swallowed the file --> Download link

---------- Post added at 01:07 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:59 AM ----------

Missed this one ...

I've been trying to run msm7227 setool2 and semc, but seem to be getting nowhere.. enters debugging mode and nothing else. What am i doing wrong?

Shouldn't you connect the phone in flash mode instead of USB-Debugging mode?

Flash Mode means:
- Pull the USB cable out of your computer but leave it attached to the phone
- Turn the phone OFF
- Start the software
- Press the Back button and connect the USB cable to the computer
KEEP THE BACK BUTTON PRESSED UNTIL THE PHONE IS RECOGNIZED!
(Note: Windows may want to install the "SEMC Flash Device" driver)

Last edited:

madz78

Aug 6, 2009
Hi BJ,

The phone is not locked! it accepts pin from all networks, but after this, simply doesn't read the cards anymore. I only talked about this because the thread i found in SETOOL forum explains in detail what's happening to me.
I dunno if what happens to people who have no network or sim locked due to bad boot loader unlock is the same or not. It would be nice to know, but in my thread no one except you steps up. :(
If unlocked, i believe it's SETool and not Omnius ;) because i only see threads with this issue in SETool support (dozens of complains) and found nothing in Omnius.
I still believe that maybe there's a solution other than unlocking it again, but due to inexperience i fail to see it.

about msm7227: i'm sorry, i meant flash mode, and it detects the phone, sometimes.. but always hangs in 2nd line (can't remember what said, but i'll try it again in a while and post here).

Where exactly is the phone unlocked? ROM, kernel, baseband? Do you think re-flashing it could solve the problem?

Thanks again friend!
Regards.

B

B.Jay

The phone is not locked! it accepts pin from all networks, but after this, simply doesn't read the cards anymore. [...]
I dunno if what happens to people who have no network or sim locked due to bad boot loader unlock is the same or not. It would be nice to know, but in my thread no one except you steps up. :(

My X8 came SIM unlocked by default. Since it's old enough, and therefore safe for boot loader unlocking, I gave it a try (even been as daring as to unlock while having GDX v021 flashed).

Connected and checked with s1tool that it's suited for unlocking: Pass
Unlocked the boot loader: Pass
Booted up (SIM does not have PIN1 set)...
Connecting to the GSM Network: Pass
Connecting to the APN for 3G Internet access: Pass
Reboot (to make sure it didn't brick): Pass
Re-locked boot loader: Pass
Checked with s1tool that boot loader is locked: Pass
Device still able to connect to GSM/3G: Pass

I didn't try to flash a custom kernel but just stayed with the stock kernel. During the whole testing scenario - from unlocking to re-locking - I didn't have any problems with GSM/3G network connectivity or troubles reading the SIM.

Like I wrote above the PIN1 check was disabled because sometimes GingerDX shows the "Network unlock" screen after inputting the PIN ... that's more-or-less a bug workaround.

If unlocked, i believe it's SETool and not Omnius ;)

Thank you for correcting the spelling of "Omnius" ... I was typing it from the top of my head and failed to recall how it's spelled.

Where exactly is the phone unlocked? ROM, kernel, baseband? Do you think re-flashing it could solve the problem?

If you refer to "how is the SIM lock lifted" then I think the best persons to answer this question are the guys who cracked the boot loader. I don't know enough about how the low-level init of the phone really works ... the boot loader guys aren't very chatty about telling us how the low-level boot of the X8 works.

Since, in my case, the SIM unlock prevails when flashing a custom ROM on top of the stock kernel (keep in mind I never flashed a custom kernel, so I never altered the "baseband" partition) the unlock can't reside in the ROM partitions.

But ... as the problem only arises when tinkering around with the boot loader but didn't affect my phone during boot loader unlock / re-lock ... and this is now purely guessing ...

The boot loader unlock only replaces the boot loader binary with a altered one. So if the thing that tells the phone that it's SIM unlocked resides in the part of the NAND where the boot loader / kernel / baseband is located it can only be a digital certificate or some sort of a binary that gets loaded through "Stage 1" init (during which the boot loader and kernel gets loaded and all the security checking stuff happens). It can't be in the higher init routines where the initialized kernel is boot strapping the ROM as that would disable the SIM unlock when flashing a custom ROM.

If blagus or the kernel devs have some ideas it would be great to read a few lines from a source knowing about the low-level init routines (to actually understand how the X8 comes to life once the power button is pressed).

On another thought ... the msm7227 CPU also must have some kind of firmware (think of it similar to a BIOS like a PC has) to init itself and the hardware ... maybe the SIM unlock is somewhere in there?

EDIT: On a third thought ... it would seem almost logical that the SIM unlock stuff is stored somewhere in the "security" related part of the NAND (somewhere deep down at the low-level init). If the phone came locked and got unlocked at some point the original SIM lock will most likely spring back into place at boot loader unlocking - so the SIM locked/unlocked thingy has to be somewhere in the low-level boot init; otherwise it wouldn't disable a "soft unlock" once the boot loader got unlocked and replaced past the cracked one which bypasses a whole lot of the security checks so unsigned boot binaries (kernel) can be loaded and executed.

Last edited: