Help with USB Tool

Search This thread

mmm126

Apr 26, 2008
Sharpsburg
I just recently purchased a Shift. It was not disclosed at purchase that it was made for the Italy market. I have managed to install Win 7 and also liberate the Snapvue. I want to install an english ROM for Snapvue but have not been able to get the USB Tool to connect to the Windows side. I have searched the forums and the web but have yet to find a solution. Any help would be appreciated much!:)

louger20

Feb 20, 2006
Same Problem

I have the exact same problem with an Italian Shift. Were you able to Liberate it with a working Sim card or did you have a Sim card available to you?

Ishman

Sep 3, 2007
Ok,I purchased one as well from onsaleday and was able to liberate and get USB tools to work. Flashed an English rom and am good to go. You will need a SIM card to get it to work properly to transfer files or keep trying to get Windows mobile center to recognize your device and transfer the liberate files that way. I had problems at first due to my pay as you go sim, I had to change the server/apn from ISP.CINGULAR which is what it automatically sets up to WAP.CINGULAR and well as username to WAPSCINBULAR instead of ISPCINGULAR. Let me know if you get stuck and I can help. I figure there are going to be a few folks that picked up a device recently.

Phone and GPS and WM6.1 all work great now. I also have upgraded to Windows 8

Boyet103

May 9, 2012
Hi.I also bought an htc shift from 1saleaday.I managed to liberate the snapvue.It has the soft reset and usb in settings.It is still in italian.Can you please post the steps in installing english rom.Thanks in advance.BTW I am stuck in hard spl'ing my HTC Shift.USB gets disconnected prior to updating rom.

Ishman

Sep 3, 2007
what you need to do is uncheck enable advanced network under the usb to pc option in wm side. this will allow you to flash your rom

mmm126

Apr 26, 2008
Sharpsburg
Thanks To All

Yep. Un-checking enable advanced network device was the trick! I am now liberated, rom flashed and running Win7. For those of you who bought from 1 sale a day; were you able to activate the English Vista OS they installed? Mine would not. Not that I wanted to keep it just not good service IMHO.

Ishman

Sep 3, 2007
I never tried to activate Vista, I went ahead and installed windows 8, works very well. Boots quickly and with the resolution tool found in the forum here, you can change the resolution to use the metro side and runs well. I can see my ATT SIM and surf via the windows 8 side as well. Pleased with the device. I upgraded the ram to 2 GB and inserted a 64 GB SSD I had lying around. All is good.

ai585

Feb 26, 2011
Liberate Italian Shift

I just got the HTC shift (italian version) and am having no luck in liberating it. What method did you use? I have the files and followed MoDaCo website, but liberate never shows up on the options screen. Please help.

I was able to get to USB Tools. The liberate.lnk file was corrupted. Still trying to get it to work. Does 'wm' mean windows mobile media center?

Last edited: