[Q] Trinity Kernel settings

Search This thread

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Fresh install of TKT. Default settings that show up are: 307/1190, set on boot OFF, ondemand/deadline, screen off max 307. Voltages 580 1000 1070 1150 1240, set on boot OFF.

Tunables: Vibration 1450, contrast -24, content adaptive enabled, Spice Melange, USB fast charge disabled, battery, enabled, online, safer, and Smart Reflex enabled all three.

Plug in the USB, and adb reboot. Immediately after, adb logcat and wait for it to connect during the boot process.

Okay, so far so good... there was no lockup this time. I wonder what the lousy setting was that messed it up last time. I even set it back to interactive/sio and no lockup this time either.

BUT the interactive/sio setting remained in place after a reboot even though I disabled Set On Boot. Is this a bug?

Last edited:

morfic

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 3, 2008
San Antonio
www.derkernel.com
Fresh install of TKT. Default settings that show up are: 307/1190, set on boot OFF, ondemand/deadline, screen off max 307. Voltages 580 1000 1070 1150 1240, set on boot OFF.

Tunables: Vibration 1450, contrast -24, content adaptive enabled, Spice Melange, USB fast charge disabled, battery, enabled, online, safer, and Smart Reflex enabled all three.

Plug in the USB, and adb reboot. Immediately after, adb logcat and wait for it to connect during the boot process.

Okay, so far so good... there was no lockup this time. I wonder what the lousy setting was that messed it up last time. I even set it back to interactive/sio and no lockup this time either.

BUT the interactive/sio setting remained in place after a reboot even though I disabled Set On Boot. Is this a bug?

That is indeed a feature, setting governors and schedulers is trivial and anything trivial always restores.

the stuff that could cause issues like a frequency too high to be handled or a voltage too low to be handled will require SoB to be set, other wise the voltages will only prefill the sliders, without being set, for a convenient setting of voltages with a single button press without prior setting them all individually.

Also if you flash a new kernel it will wipe your settings (you saw the version comparison in the log, if they are different, it will start up with out applying possibly incompatible settings (especially when switching between incompatible kernels))

simms22

Recognized Contributor - R.I.P
Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Your input is greatly appreciated. For now the boot lockups have stopped, but I will be sure to follow up here if they start again.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

you should post in the main trinity kernel thread(gsm). that way it could possibly help others with the same issue, and we would be able to get you help faster since we would see it faster :)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
you should post in the main trinity kernel thread(gsm). that way it could possibly help others with the same issue, and we would be able to get you help faster since we would see it faster :)

Yeah the problem is, 1) If I post in a much bigger longer thread it's easy for my follow-ups to get lost in the flurry of other conversations, 2) I don't want my control panel to indicate there are thread updates if they're not about my problem :)

morfic

Aug 3, 2008
San Antonio
www.derkernel.com
Yeah the problem is, 1) If I post in a much bigger longer thread it's easy for my follow-ups to get lost in the flurry of other conversations, 2) I don't want my control panel to indicate there are thread updates if they're not about my problem :)

Well, we are subscribed to this one, we can always refer to this thread when we think we hear (ok, "see") a similar issue.
It's just when you start a thread in here, i won't know about it and can't help unless simms22 runs across it.
Also, just in case, if you do have a follow up, email me a direct link, just in case i don't get a notification from this thread.
Or post a link in the Trinity thread, it'll get noticed and we can take care of it.

I can react to emails easier at work, so if you do collect a last_kmsg (attach it as a .txt ;)), email it to me rather than just attaching it or linking to it in here.

Thanks,

Daniel

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com

1. the trinity thread isnt like all the other xda threads, you wont get lost in the thread. there are reasons that our thread has a great reputation. ill make sure. and if morfic nor i get to it, the thread is full of helpful people. anyways, chances are that i would get there first ;)
2. i dont check thread updates or get notified. i hate being notified. but, it is my home, and i rarely miss a post.

anyways, the thread is a learning experience for many, no topic is out of bounds. as i like to say, its our island paradise within the xda sea, where people should feel free to ask, even if its already been answered many times. please, feel free to come join us there.

Reactions: Guiding.God

maverick_hunter

Aug 19, 2011
Los Angeles
1. the trinity thread isnt like all the other xda threads, you wont get lost in the thread. there are reasons that our thread has a great reputation. ill make sure. and if morfic nor i get to it, the thread is full of helpful people. anyways, chances are that i would get there first ;)
2. i dont check thread updates or get notified. i hate being notified. but, it is my home, and i rarely miss a post.

anyways, the thread is a learning experience for many, no topic is out of bounds. as i like to say, its our island paradise within the xda sea, where people should feel free to ask, even if its already been answered many times. please, feel free to come join us there.

Not only that, but you can completely derail the thread for a while by talking about things like music, and OP is ok with it! :highfive:

Seriously though, the Trinity thread is probably one of the, if not the, friendliest threads on XDA. Lots of helpful people.

Reactions: simms22

haxor

Apr 14, 2011
some where
Help me guys i am using JB stock rom and franco kernel now just have a look of screen shot will find sort of lines on a IMAGE its a screen shot of video ! What it cause and how can i get rid off from this problem

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1347872000656.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1347872000656.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 99

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
Just had a strange one. I got out of the shower and my battery was pretty low but not in the red zone, as I hadn't plugged it in all day. I woke the phone to see if I had any messages, and when I didn't, I put the phone to sleep again. Then a few seconds later it rebooted to the Google screen and lingered there for far too long (at least 45 seconds, maybe more?). I got scared and pulled the battery. Decided that if any recovery would have to happen, I'd put my spare charged battery in so I don't have to worry about charge.

Started up the phone again, and it lingered on the Google screen longer than usual but did successfully boot.

I tried going in with adb to a root shell and typing cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
but I just got: sh: cat: /proc/last_kmsg: No such file or directory

So I guess there is no last kmsg.

morfic

Aug 3, 2008
San Antonio
www.derkernel.com
Just had a strange one. I got out of the shower and my battery was pretty low but not in the red zone, as I hadn't plugged it in all day. I woke the phone to see if I had any messages, and when I didn't, I put the phone to sleep again. Then a few seconds later it rebooted to the Google screen and lingered there for far too long (at least 45 seconds, maybe more?). I got scared and pulled the battery. Decided that if any recovery would have to happen, I'd put my spare charged battery in so I don't have to worry about charge.

Started up the phone again, and it lingered on the Google screen longer than usual but did successfully boot.

I tried going in with adb to a root shell and typing cat /proc/last_kmsg > /sdcard/last_kmsg.txt
but I just got: sh: cat: /proc/last_kmsg: No such file or directory

So I guess there is no last kmsg.

every so often a fsck will freak people out
you can't have a last_kmsg of a battery pull
check your dmesg for signs of the fsck in the current kernel messages

EDIT: That is a prime example of what to share in Trinity thread and get info there from many ;)

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I had a random reboot today that I didn't even notice when it happened. Pulled the phone out of my pocket in a grocery store and noticed the media scanner was running, which usually only happens after a music sync or a reboot. Checked battery info and found that the time since boot was only at 6 minutes. Retrieved the last_kmsg immediately and saved it for later.

Here is a pastebin of the last 30% or so of the 1.5 MB last_kmsg:
http://pastebin.com/12YD5Tab

In particular here is the last section which seems to be where it starts to go astray:
Code:
[18797.706176] suspend: exit suspend, ret = 0 (2012-09-27 00:40:12.520211054 UTC)
[18798.650695] PM: Syncing filesystems ... 
[18798.655670] EXT4-fs error (device mmcblk0p12): ext4_read_inode_bitmap:117: comm Sidekick_AsyncF: Cannot read inode bitmap - block_group = 60, inode_bitmap = 1966081
[18798.701019] Aborting journal on device mmcblk0p12-8.
[18798.760925] Kernel panic - not syncing: EXT4-fs (device mmcblk0p12): panic forced after error
[18798.760955] 
[18798.761535] Backtrace: invalid frame pointer 0x00008180
[18798.762176] CPU1: stopping
[18798.762359] Backtrace: 
[18798.762969] [<c784df74>] (0xc784df74) from [<c0055408>] (__irq_svc+0x48/0xe0)
[18798.763153] Backtrace aborted due to bad frame pointer <c784df90>
[18798.763549] Rebooting in 5 seconds..
[18800.040130] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18800.551147] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18801.061248] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18801.573181] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18802.083190] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18802.594055] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18803.104248] [MIPI-HSI] wrong state : 0000000e, recv_step : 12, size : 13
[18803.111694] 
[18803.111907] Restarting Linux version 3.0.38-04149-g1d1c555-dirty (morfic@othris) (gcc version 4.7.1 20120531 (prerelease) (Linaro GCC 4.7-2012.06) ) #666 SMP PREEMPT Mon Jul 23 00:23:38 CDT 2012
[18803.111938] 

No errors detected
Boot info:
Last reset was warm software reset (PRM_RSTST=0x2)

So... uh... my filesystem is corrupted?

Last edited:

simms22

Jun 4, 2009
BROOKLYN!
www.androidcommunity.com
Still on the stable release. Don't really want to try anything that'll destabilize it.

many of the alphas are as stable or more stable then the release kernels. a63 is one of them. plus it includes any of the latest fixes/revisions in the source code. if you look inn the thread, you will see many good opinions on a63. plus, at the very worst, you can reflash 35 if you dont like 63.

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I'm also getting some random reboots that are soft and don't generate a last kmsg. I can identify them by a gap in the battery graph:

seba2a9y.jpg

Any thoughts on debugging those?

Based on a screenshot time of 1:32 PM, the random reboot happened around 11:59 AM when I wasn't noticing. Moreover, the total time of 3h28m brings us back to 9:59 AM which is a full 80 minutes after I unplugged from my car charger when I got to work... so that suggests I also had a hard reboot before 10AM. But if that generated a last_kmsg it must have been obliterated during the soft reboot.

I see that 63 is now labelled STABLE 63 so I guess I should give it a try...

Last edited:

cmstlist

Jan 11, 2010
Toronto
Google Pixel 4a
I'm using basically default settings except for interactive/sio.

Today I had a random reboot again, and the last_kmsg is basically a massive string of lines that look like this:

Code:
[46116.176422] 4c60: ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ????????
[many many many many lines omitted]
[46118.078643] ee80: ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ???????? ????????

Followed by:
Code:
4 Corrected bytes, 1 unrecoverable blocks
Boot info:
Last reset was MPU Watchdog Timer reset (PRM_RSTST=0x8)

I noticed one of the Smart Reflex options is MPU. If I am not choosing any overclock options, only the CPU governor and I/O scheduler, is there a reason I should or shouldn't be disabling the Smart Reflex the way I would if I were over/under clocking/volting?

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I reflashed stock JB kernel the other day and found my phone to be running very smoothly. But I can't stand the colours on my purply screen, so back to Trinity (latest stable release).

The problem is, I'm getting a lot of lag and jerkiness on Trinity. Google Now takes forever to load, responsiveness takes a hit, and it generally feels like that whole "Project Butter" has turned into cold chunks of margarine.

I did buy the Trinity app to change settings. Is there anything I should be doing with Trinity that would give me stock-like smoothness and performance? I have a feeling there is some default setting in Trinity that is supposed to be helpful for some users but for me it's just killing the experience.

Or alternately, would I get better results with Franco?

Not only that, but you can completely derail the thread for a while by talking about things like music, and OP is ok with it! :highfive:

Seriously though, the Trinity thread is probably one of the, if not the, friendliest threads on XDA. Lots of helpful people.