Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

djrbliss

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 24, 2011
Some of you may have seen a picture I posted earlier. In case you missed it:
https://twitter.com/djrbliss/status/329617760252481537

I thought I would answer some of the more common questions I've been receiving.

Is that the AT&T-branded Galaxy S4?
Yes. It wouldn't be very interesting otherwise. ;)

Does this allow you to run custom kernels and recoveries?
Yes.

When will this be released?
I will not be publishing anything at least until the Verizon-branded Galaxy S4 begins shipping (late May).

Does that mean it will work on the Verizon model?
It is highly likely this will also work on the Verizon model, but since I don't have one I'm unable to test at this time.

Will bothering me result in an early release?
No.

Is this the result of a leak?
No. I would not associate myself with the publication of confidential materials that are proprietary to these companies, regardless of the fact that I disagree with their policies on device openness. Plus, where's the fun in that?

What about the bounty?
Feel free to wait until I publish and decide for yourself if it meets your criteria. As always, I prefer any donations go to a reputable charity organization instead of me, but I won't refuse if you insist on throwing money at my PayPal (http://goo.gl/zBGb0).

Is it safe to install OTA updates?
If you are interested in taking advantage of this release, it is recommended that you avoid installing OTA updates until it is published. Please be aware that refraining from installing updates may prevent you from receiving security and stability fixes for your device, and consider whether this is a risk you are willing to accept.

What's your favorite color?
Blue.

ericos123

Jul 24, 2010
Farmingdale Ny
thank you 1 billion times over, now at the end of the month i can hopefully flash the stock system and fix my device :good::good:

will donate once released later this month :victory:

jimmydafish

Nov 10, 2007

Yes.

I will not be publishing anything at least until the Verizon-branded Galaxy S4 begins shipping (late May).

It is highly likely this will also work on the Verizon model, but since I don't have one I'm unable to test at this time.

No.

No. I would not associate myself with the publication of confidential materials that are proprietary to these companies, regardless of the fact that I disagree with their policies on device openness. Plus, where's the fun in that?

What about the bounty?
Feel free to wait until I publish and decide for yourself if it meets your criteria. As always, I prefer any donations go to a reputable charity organization instead of me, but I won't refuse if you insist on throwing money at my PayPal (http://goo.gl/zBGb0).

If you are interested in taking advantage of this release, it is recommended that you avoid installing OTA updates until it is published. Please be aware that refraining from installing updates may prevent you from receiving security and stability fixes for your device, and consider whether this is a risk you are willing to accept.

Blue.

Thanks from all the current and future S4 owners, of which I am not one. But I know a gift horse when I see one.

Reactions: s8freak

slapdaddy

Apr 9, 2008
Louisiana
Thanks man. This is great news!

I'm just curious as to how many devices this has been tested on?

Sent from my HTC Vivid.

Shammyh

Aug 18, 2007
Boston, MA

Yes.

No.

What about the bounty?

Blue.

That's extremely good news. Thank you very much for your work! Just picked up my AT&T GS4 today...

I of course respect your wishes to release/share (or not) at your own schedule, it is your prerogative; but may I ask, why the wait for the Verizon model? To be clear, I'm not in any hurry, I'm just curious...

Also, any technical updates on how you made this possible? (other than obviously a good knowledge of ARM and reverse engineering)

MikeC4510

That's extremely good news. Thank you very much for your work! Just picked up my AT&T GS4 today...

I of course respect your wishes to release/share (or not) at your own schedule, it is your prerogative; but may I ask, why the wait for the Verizon model? To be clear, I'm not in any hurry, I'm just curious...

Also, any technical updates on how you made this possible? (other than obviously a good knowledge of ARM and reverse engineering)

Well, he kind of stated why wait for the Verizon model:

And to further elaborate, suppose Verizon had the same method of locking the bootloader. If he released this now, Verizon would have enough time to change up their locked bootloader which would be even more difficult to crack.
So in conclusion, he's keeping his method to himself so in case Verizon does have the same locked bootloader, we can unlock both AT&T and Verizon variants with one leak. Profit.
Why throw our Verizon S4 brothers off the bus? Lol.... Hopefully that answers it

Sent from my SGS II~SGH-i777 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2

Reactions: DigiDave

Entropy512

Senior Recognized Developer
Aug 31, 2007
Owego, NY

Because if he releases the exploit or details now, Verizon can use that information to fix their implementation. It's not guaranteed this approach will work on the Verizon device, but it's FAR less likely if he publishes info on the exploit now. Even this announcement could bode ill for the hopes of Verizon customers - you can guarantee it is going to trigger another round of security review at Samsung and Verizon.

As a result, you're not going to see any detail until then.

k0nane

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 7, 2008
www.k0nane.info
You should all pretty much be bowing down before the great pwnerator and/or throwing cash at the screen right now.

This is Mr. Rosenberg's PayPal. His time is valuable.

That's it for me. You AT&T users have fun.

e: One more thing. Bloggers and/or journalists reading this, this unlock is not the work of "the devs", "XDA", "the brilliant hackers over at XDA", etc. Credit the individual. Thanks.

Last edited:

jcase

Retired Forum Mod / Senior Recognized Developer
Feb 20, 2010
Raleigh NC
You should all pretty much be bowing down before the great pwnerator and/or throwing cash at the screen right now.

This is Mr. Rosenberg's PayPal. His time is valuable.

That's it for me. You AT&T users have fun.

e: One more thing. Bloggers and/or journalists reading this, this unlock is not the work of "the devs", "XDA", "the brilliant hackers over at XDA", etc. Credit the individual. Thanks.

As much as I trust Dan, admire his work, and consider him a friend (As far as you can someone who you have have only "met" online). General rule for any dev work (Including mine), wait until the work is published before donating.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Yes.

No.

What about the bounty?

Blue.
    OTA safe to install

As jcase has stated, this particular OTA update is safe to install. Numerous users have reported success in using Motochopper to regain root access, the OTA does not affect the bootloader hack, and it's still possible to downgrade via Odin to the previous update in case of emergency.
    Thread cleaned,

Further bickering, complaining or off topic chatter will result in time outs in the corner, detention and/or community service of clearing my backyard of dog waste.
    Useless thread is useless
    You guys make it sound like the phone isn't usable the way it is... The damn thing came out on Saturday and people are complaining. Try going to iPhone where it's months before it's cracked. Be grateful someone did it so quick. These Devs owe us NOTHING

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using xda app-developers app