Bell phones and the lack of 3 button combo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

zerverize

Sep 10, 2010
my manufacture date is 2010-08-28 and my 3 button download works =)

ps. bought this this yesterday, coming from a nexus one and xperia (backup phone), and i have to say that this is one phone that i dont feel i HAVE to mod to get to my liking. All i need is froyo, and for that i'll wait.

I am envious mixxy :). I was weighing decisions to return the phone but from Samsung Canada's facebook they will fix the issue. Yours is 2010-08-28 ? is this date from the battery ? Mine is 2010-07-17, looks like the later batches have the 3 btn recovery mode ?

mixxy

Nov 29, 2007
T.Dot
yup, from the battery

in fact, if u are still within your exchange period and are in the GTA, i would go to bestbuy mobile at fairview mall, all the units there are from that batch 28-08-2010

Sep 8, 2010
Heating it _actually_ works

OMG your trick (oven) rescued my phone!!! But it has to be really HOT! :)

Thank you so much!

Dennis

These guys are not kidding! I had bricked my Bell phone by accessing download mode via adb and was devastated to find out - after hours of lurking - that there is no way back... So, I decided to save myself an embarrassing and potentially long trip to the Bell store by attempting this sketchy suggestion. I put the phone under my laptop for 10 minutes until it was _fairly_ hot and it worked! Here are the exact steps I took:

-heated the phone while it was on the COMPUTER-!-PHONE screen
-detached the USB cable
-took out the battery
-removed the SIM and SD cards
-replaced the battery
-held volume_down, home, and power buttons in that order, and
-BAM! download mode!

It did take a couple of tries to reach required threshold temperature. But it works EVERY time if the temperature is kept above threshold. Odin also only operates above this temperature for me. Unfortunately, I was too tired/lazy to try different permutations of hot vs cold operations. I tried to be cautious about the amount of thermal radiation I was exposing the LCD to. Please be very careful when doing this and use your judgement.

I'm an electrical engineer and I cannot conjure up an explanation as to how or why this works... The heat is not enough to re-flow loose/poorly installed components. Could this be attributed to the amount of leakage caused by using poorly qualified ASIC? I have seen cases where particular ASICs exhibit abnormally high current leakage at low temperatures causing abnormalities. I'm just surprised that the QA at Samsung did not catch this. Maybe they have a few corner parts mixed in with good ones... that would account for the variability in occurrence of button combo issue.

Sorry about the jargon, hopefully someone else can make sense of this. I'm thoroughly blown away.

davidke

Aug 28, 2010
Montreal
[BEGIN wild theory mode]

Instead of heating the entire unit, have any you considered just placing the heated tip of a screwdriver on the service mode sensor just like the samsung teks use to unbrick all the phones we are sending back? It just needs to be warm. Some sensors are so sensitive that they dont need to be heated at all, just press the 3 keys and you are good to go. This is the sensor that they are going to disable in an upcomming fix that they are releasing because of community pressure.

HeatPenSensor.png

[END wild theory mode] ;-)

Last edited:

pure_energy1

Mar 6, 2008
[BEGIN wild theory mode]

Instead of heating the entire unit, have any you considered just placing the heated tip of a screwdriver on the service mode sensor just like the samsung teks use to unbrick all the phones we are sending back? It just needs to be warm. Some sensors are so sensitive that they dont need to be heated at all, just press the 3 keys and you are good to go. This is the sensor that are going to disable in an upcomming fix that they are releasing because of community pressure.

I'm curious where you heard about this...

If this is true, it stands to reason why heating up the phone seems to resolve the issue in some cases.

Joghurtbecher

Aug 30, 2010
[BEGIN wild theory mode]

Instead of heating the entire unit, have any you considered just placing the heated tip of a screwdriver on the service mode sensor just like the samsung teks use to unbrick all the phones we are sending back? It just needs to be warm. Some sensors are so sensitive that they dont need to be heated at all, just press the 3 keys and you are good to go. This is the sensor that they are going to disable in an upcomming fix that they are releasing because of community pressure.

[can't post links]

Nice theory, but my guess would be that this hole stems from the molding process of the body ;)

On a more serious note, in a different thread someone mentioned that it could be a timing issue. This is actually realistic.
In laymen terms:
Digital Signals don't change their level instantanious. If you want to change a 1 into a 0, you need to get all the electrons which produce the "1-voltage" to go somewhere else to have your "0-voltage". This takes time, not much but enough to be a major design factor in digital electronics. If you have two chips communicating, you don't want the first on to look what the second sends, before the signal levels have stabilized. The 3 button issue could very well be such an issue with some timing beeing off far enough to have the the 3-button combo never register with the CPU.
How can heat change this?
Well, simplified its like this: Good conductors (e.g. metals) have a lot of electrons who are not that closely bonded with the atoms. This means they can roam freely and carry electrical current (which is nothing else, then electrons moving around). Isolators are materials which have all their electrons fused to the atoms and therefore don't permit free electron flow. Semiconductors are materials which lay somewhere in the middle. Their electrons stick to the atoms too but the get knocked off easly by things like radiation in the form of heat, light, radioactivity and so on. This in itself is not the primary mechanism which gives silicon chips their electrical properties, we actually want them to have. That is achieved by diluting the pure silicon chrystal with certain elements but thats not the point here. Whats important is, that temperature is a factor in the conductivity of a semiconductor. Temperature can change the behavior of chips, espeacily the timing behavior. The reason for this is, that higher temperature means more free electrons which means more conductivety which means faster moving electrons, which means faster changeing signal levels. Theoretcally it is possible, that by this mechanism and pure chance, the 3-button combo works in a heated SGS. It would be interesting to heat up only certain chips on the board and see which one is responsible. Not that I'm going to try that with my (until know) unbricked phone ;)

If anyone of you wonders why you cool your CPU, when it should get faster when more hot: Remember, that a CPU is a block of silicon which has very specific conduction paths embeded into it to make it function as a CPU. Heating it up will lower resitance in the whole chip, making it eventually a whole big conductive lump of silicon. In that case, current will simply flow from the + to the - terminal, bypass all the logic gates and roast you chip :( So leave the cooler on kids.

davidke

Aug 28, 2010
Montreal
[BEGIN tasteless humor mode]

So I bring my i9000 in to a Bell shop and explain that the 3-button recovery mode doesn't work and I want to exchange it. The guy says that the 3-button mode is not for end users so he cant exchange it just for that. So I shove the phone up is @ss ... and when he pulls it out ... the 3-button combo worked!!! I guess the heat theory is true then. Go figure. This must be how samsung teks get into to recovery.
Note: I suspect it has to be pretty "tight" for it to work.

[END tasteless humor mode] ;-)

CrashyNL

Jan 5, 2009
Delft
"OMG How can this actually work???"
That was my first reaction, but because i was desperate i tried it. (My phone was stuck on the Galaxy-bootscreen and did not and therefore could not use adb, recovery or other tools).

And guess what, the 'heat trick' really works! What i did:

-Removed back cover
-Battery inserted, no SD or SIM
-USB plugged in (not powerd on) (charging -> primary heat source :p)
-I put the phone slightly tilted against my laptop fan
-Stress CPU/GPU (of laptop) (i did with HD video material and playing FlatOut 2 :p)
-heat the phone for about 30 minutes...
-Removed the phone
-remove battery and re-insert it
-press volum down+home+power

et voila!

Thanks for this Great (but crazy) sollution!!!

cteaser

Oct 2, 2010
just for the statistics ;-)

had the "brick" problem after playing with odin.
had troubles entering "download" mode.
resolved it with the "temperature" trick (hard to believe but closely correlated).

my samsung is a pretty new galaxy S aka GT-I9000 (ieuropean model)

MarkVibrant

Aug 24, 2010
OK, I don't know where I can find my serial number, but when I do *#06#, my IMEI ends with /04.
This is weird because before I updated my firmware yesterday, it was /03, and I had no problem putting it into download mode. Maybe the new firmware that was released yesterday enables your phone to go into download mode?
I feel sorry for you guys because I just got my I9000M from Best Buy (Downsview, Toronto) 3 days ago (Aug 12th), and the download mode has never been a problem...

Interesting. I bought mine from Best Buy Toronto (Yonge/Dundas) and my IMEI ends with a /03, AND my serial number ends in 65xxxxx, and I cannot get it into recovery or download mode (have tried all the various methods that seem to be posted). Nor can I get another phone we have that ends in 64xxxxx.

elena11

Aug 11, 2010
I had mine for a month. The download mode did not work, no matter what I tried. I got the black screen 3 weeks ago and had to send it for repair. When I got it back the download mode was working and what they did is only update the phone with the last version on Kies.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using XDA App

benjaminwt

Oct 7, 2010
It's an easy solution

Just follow the instructions here
http:
//xdaforums.com
/showthread.php?t=785201

can't post links yet.
and every phone will work.
No problems.

Was easy,
the only thing is that you need to get adb.exe from the sdk.

But otherwise following these instructions is easy.

daniel.netti

May 4, 2010
Hi, can anybody help me please?
A friend's GT-I9000M is entering into "force close" in the launcher of Android, and I can not enter recovery mode, the adb method returns to me "Device not found" message, is there any solution to this case?
Thanks

sirphunkee

Retired Senior Moderator
Dec 15, 2009
Austin, TX
Hi, can anybody help me please?
A friend's GT-I9000M is entering into "force close" in the launcher of Android, and I can not enter recovery mode, the adb method returns to me "Device not found" message, is there any solution to this case?
Thanks

daniel, you'll need to create a new thread in the Q&A section here, this is an old thread that's really been abandoned, and I'm going to close it now as well. You'll have much better luck getting answers there ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.