[READ] How to get your GPS back! (No GPS showing/GPS giving general location)

Search This thread

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
It's not just my phone, it's both mine and my fiancées AT&T GS3's both that it happens to. I've posted in a few threads and gotten nowhere with it on both of our phones. Started shortly after we did the JB OTA. She has a case, I don't have a case.

Tried a variety of things posted around the web. Tightening screws, reinstalling maps, clearing data, NV rebuild, resetting to stock JB. The NV rebuild seems to work the longest. Eventually it gets to a few days of usage and the GPS icon stops showing up and Google Maps navigation doesn't work anymore. If the phone is rebooted, it comes back but will got out randomly (generally at the worst time - while you're lost somewhere, that's how these things work apparently).

Neither of our phones are rooted or have ever had anything flashed but stock ICS and stock JB.

Dude, I don't know what to say. I know the OP works from first hand experience but your phone might still be messed internally or you are making small mistakes from the OP. I'm sorry bud but I'm not Samsung, I don't think I can help you any more :(

Jonny Steele

Jun 7, 2011
Im still having the same issue as everyone else. GPS works fine for a few days, then it drops and the only way to get it back it to restart the phone. Ive tried all fixes and nothing works. Full reset, GPS reset, NV Rebuild, Screws, GPS APP clear, Maps clear........

My phone is all stock, never been rooted, it came new with JB installed from factory. Also have the same issue with my wifes S3 that was bought several months later, also stock on JB.

Dont see why we are all having this issue, it seems even more people now have it than before. I dont think its hardware as the problem goes away after a reset, only to come back after some time. At times i can go 2 weeks with no issue, other it happens several times a day. Have no idea why.

Maybe if they ever update our phone they will address this issue.

DirtyOldMan

Jun 5, 2013
Im still having the same issue as everyone else. GPS works fine for a few days, then it drops and the only way to get it back it to restart the phone. Ive tried all fixes and nothing works. Full reset, GPS reset, NV Rebuild, Screws, GPS APP clear, Maps clear........

My phone is all stock, never been rooted, it came new with JB installed from factory. Also have the same issue with my wifes S3 that was bought several months later, also stock on JB.

Dont see why we are all having this issue, it seems even more people now have it than before. I dont think its hardware as the problem goes away after a reset, only to come back after some time. At times i can go 2 weeks with no issue, other it happens several times a day. Have no idea why.

Maybe if they ever update our phone they will address this issue.

Try a custom ROM

egyptshun

Jun 30, 2010
Toronto
I dont think i should have to have a custom rom to have GPS. I dont get that far into customizing my phone, nor would my wife or half the other people who would like to use the GPS

Listen dude. Follow the OP EXACTLY. If that doesnt work, try the NV. If that doesnt work, get a different phone. I dont know what to tell you.

riiviin

Sep 11, 2010
I wanted to add that I have experienced the same behavior as Jonny Steele. I posted earlier in the thread after the NV fix was posted that it resolved the issue for me. Unfortunately, it only lasted 3 weeks or so, and then it was back to happening every couple days. The GPS icon won't show up, and apps won't lock until a reboot. Doing the NV rebuild doesn't last weeks like it did the first time, but only a few days at best.

It looks like it's something software related in 4.1.1 (GPS was great before installing Jelly Bean). I am not sure why it isn't happening to everyone, but it is certainly happening to my device and my fiancee's device as well. As soon as the phone is rebooted, the GPS works great for a random amount of time. Usually 1-3 days, then the GPS icon stops showing up and rebooting brings it back. Jonny's explanation is exactly like what I am seeing on our two phones. It doesn't seem to be carrier specific either. Other forums mention it happening until they pushed out 4.1.2, which resolved it for the people effected.

There is a post on the AT&T forums about this issue, and it links to a Google issue page where people from different carriers talk about this problem. It started happening to people on 4.1.1, and it seems to have been resolved for other carriers with 4.1.2. I mostly want to point this out to show that we aren't crazy (at least not for this particular reason). I believe Jonny has accurately followed the OP and a variety of other fixes, just as I have. I really don't think it is an issue of following instructions.

I generally agree with Jonny that flashing a rom shouldn't be the solution. However, I don't mind and ultimately installed Stockorama which is a 4.1.2 port of the T-Mobile release. Since switching to that rom, I haven't lost my GPS. I haven't flashed my fiancee's phone because I wanted to give it a week or two to see if I lose GPS. We all know how long AT&T takes with updates, so I can certainly understand how that puts people with this problem in an awkward situation if they don't want to try other roms.

Last edited:

drwx

Oct 5, 2010
Nashville, TN
I concur with the previous post. None of the fixes work for me for very long. I just flashed the detmobilized Rom (tmo rom ported to att) that is 4.1.2. I'm interested in seeing if this fixes the issue.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

riiviin

Sep 11, 2010
I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.

Reactions: Bzow

simonMac777

Mar 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
I wanted to update and say I have not lost my GPS since switching to a T-Mobile based 4.1.2 rom. I have been testing it frequently by tracking my 30 minute commutes to and from work. If you are having problems like what I described in my previous post, I highly recommend trying out deTmobilized or STOCKORAMA.

I know... but guess what? Who has At&t (like me) no update! Why? Who knows

riiviin

Sep 11, 2010
I know... but guess what? Who has At&t (like me) no update! Why? Who knows

Both of those roms are ported from the T-Mobile 4.1.2 release to work on AT&T devices (they are in the AT&T development section). I would certainly be happy if AT&T released their official 4.1.2, but they always drag their feet with Android updates. I have tried both of the roms I mentioned, and both of them are stable with good battery life (in my experience working with my phone as well as my fiancee's).

simonMac777

Mar 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Both of those roms are ported from the T-Mobile 4.1.2 release to work on AT&T devices (they are in the AT&T development section). I would certainly be happy if AT&T released their official 4.1.2, but they always drag their feet with Android updates. I have tried both of the roms I mentioned, and both of them are stable with good battery life (in my experience working with my phone as well as my fiancee's).

You are right, but I don’t know if I’m ready for a custom rom. I mean, I spent weeks deciding for root and when I did I almost took a day off LoL! And with a custom rom I’ll definitely lose any chance to get the cell phone back for repair… sorry for the OT.

edSee

Jun 23, 2013
worked!

thats all

now check your GPS from gps software...

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....[/QUOTE]

Worked like a charm! I previously tried tightening the screws as I have seen on another site but had no luck. Im glad I came across this fix.

superm1

Jun 3, 2010
Texas
From what i've read the 4.1.2 on all the other carriers people haven't been complaining about GPS problems. Any comments from anyone who had the problem with the AT&T 4.1.1 and got the 4.1.2 update? Is it fixed for you?

Personally I moved to CM10.1 and it doesn't happen there, but I might come back to stock if it's working again (and some other bugs are fixed in 4.1.2 that i'm checking on)

simonMac777

Mar 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
From what i've read the 4.1.2 on all the other carriers people haven't been complaining about GPS problems. Any comments from anyone who had the problem with the AT&T 4.1.1 and got the 4.1.2 update? Is it fixed for you?

Personally I moved to CM10.1 and it doesn't happen there, but I might come back to stock if it's working again (and some other bugs are fixed in 4.1.2 that i'm checking on)

Well, I’ve installed the deTmobilezed rom (4.1.2) and no problems so far. That doesn’t means the problem is resolved: with the 4.1.1 was very random, sometimes the GPS worked fine for weeks and then stop, sometimes a couple of hours after the reboot. Anyway there are other bugs in the 4.1.2: the notifications for example! After a while they stop to work, so no more mail or facebook notifications. Need a reboot.
From what i know the CM10 is a pure Android version, so there isn't the Samsung Framework and some application doesn't work: S-Video, some Camera Feature and so on.

drwx

Oct 5, 2010
Nashville, TN
Well, I’ve installed the deTmobilezed rom (4.1.2) and no problems so far. That doesn’t means the problem is resolved: with the 4.1.1 was very random, sometimes the GPS worked fine for weeks and then stop, sometimes a couple of hours after the reboot. Anyway there are other bugs in the 4.1.2: the notifications for example! After a while they stop to work, so no more mail or facebook notifications. Need a reboot.
From what i know the CM10 is a pure Android version, so there isn't the Samsung Framework and some application doesn't work: S-Video, some Camera Feature and so on.

I use my gps for tracking my bike rides with runkeeper. With the 4.1.1 roms, it would drop the gps every few days. It hasn't dropped it once with detmobilized. I was frequently having to reboot my phone prior to my rides just to get the gps working.

--
Stephen

DEVLIN7

Jan 29, 2012
worked!

awesome it worked! Thank you!

:D
if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....

sidxda

My GPS suddenly stopped working while I was in the middle of trying out different ROMs.
Ever since then, I have read a billion threads, wasted hours and hours of my life, and tried every possible thing I could, flashed stock firmware from Kies, downloaded 4.1.2, 4.3, 4.4.2 from sammobile, flashed all of them and tried NV rebuild but every single time I get the error - "not support in custom binary".

Someone please help me out, I will be eternally grateful.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Okay well I have search over 4 days on how to fix my gps with no luck and assuming that the newest leaks ruined it. All is okay because I have collobrated all main GPS pointers on how to get it back since there is not one major one here we go.

Before doing anything try a factory reset from settings and see if that helps you, or even use odin and go back to stock and factory reset from settings. Proceed if you still have problems.

Also note that some users report that clearing agps data can solve the problem.

I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR YOUR PHONE!

[With no GPS icon showing up]
    (OPTIONAL AND RECOMMENDED: USE Triangle Away to reset counter)
    1. Flash back to stock UNROOTED ICS ROM
    (Stuck at samsung logo after? flash a cwm recovery, factory reset and clear cache n reboot)
    2. Enter into dialer *2767*3855# (Will do a HARD reset, no internal storage will be lost except the usual data)
    3. Boot up again and run maps to see if you have a GPS icon
    (IF YOU DON NOT HAVE A GPS ICON YOUR HARDWARE IS MALFUNCTIONING)

[With GPS icon showing but no lock]
    4. Turn all GPS related thing OFF
    5. go into google services framework in applications, settings, and clear data
    6. go into maps, delete updates if any and clear data aswell
    7. reboot the phone
    8. Update google maps (very important)
    9.reboot for safe measure
    10. turn on everything in location and services in settings
    11. boot up maps
    12. profit

[If GPS is still flashing but no lock]
    1. If steps1-11 does not work for you it is highly recommended to flash Galaxy S III Test 3 (created by crypted)
    2. Factory reset trough settings and repeat steps 1-3 if not gps icon or steps 4-11 if gps icon flashes
    3. profit

For flashing new ROMs after:

1. see if gps is showing up or not, if not then repeat steps 1-12 above and it is recommended not to flash the same rom that makes gps disappear
    2. if gps icon is showing up but very inaccurate then repeat steps 4-11
    3. profit.

Sometimes I noticed esp. on AOKP n CM10 n Paranoid if you just simple delete and reinstall a new maps it works (with gos icon showing ofc.

Some people asked about if mobile odin is usable when going back to stock, and yeah it is just be safe doing it and make sure it is the whole package.

Want a faster lock after? go here

Thanks to crypted for his aGPS work.
    GPS fix Back Permanent I747

if you dont see your gps icon on status bar. there is problem on your gps chip.
    becouse that was happend to me my I747. im more confused about it.
    i try more things like rom change,, firmware upgrade,, orginal samsung updates,, etc,, no more fix

after i go to the samsung service mode *#197328640#

then go to mainmenu>UMTS>Common>NV REBUILD>NV REBUILD>finish and dont exit menu
    wait 30 sec

long press power button and select restart..

thats all

if this is fix your problem dont forget to thanks....
    Sticky? Since ALOT of people have this problem on all ROMs...
    OP updated with new info.
    Thank you very much man...I havr not gps icon I followed your steps and then my problem was no lock...well I did the second part and BOMB!! My gps work again...thanks again!!!!

Enviado desde mi SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 usando Tapatalk 2

Yup yup! No problem.

Sent from my SGH-I747 using XDA Premium HD app