[Q] Help! Changing DNS settings

Search This thread

tiptoekirk

Feb 20, 2007
Charlotte
I need to change the DNS settings for a connection I use a lot that is managed by company who has setup OpenDNS to block a lot of stuff...

How can I go about doing this on a wpa encrypted wireless network where i do no not have a dynamic ip address?? It seems it only supports changing a DNS server when the phone is setup dynamically.. I need it to work on DHCP, I just need the DNS server changed, i dont need or want a dynamic ip..

HELP!

henihazbay

I need to change the DNS settings for a connection I use a lot that is managed by company who has setup OpenDNS to block a lot of stuff...

How can I go about doing this on a wpa encrypted wireless network where i do no not have a dynamic ip address?? It seems it only supports changing a DNS server when the phone is setup dynamically.. I need it to work on DHCP, I just need the DNS server changed, i dont need or want a dynamic ip..

HELP!

This is the code needed to change the DNS settings. Just connect your N1 to your PC and open command in your PC then;

adb shell setprop net.dns1 8.8.8.8

adb shell setprop net.dns2 8.8.8.4

yasn77

Jan 11, 2008
London

HELP!

Not sure if i get that... When you use static ip there is a section that allows you to specify the DNS... not sure what you mean :confused: The problem as i see it, is that there is no easy way (via android GUI) of changing DNS if you use DHCP

Anyways... try...

adb shell setprop dhcp.eth0.dns1 <IP>
adb shell setprop dhcp.eth0.dns2 <IP>
etc

This will only change the DNS server. If you know shell scripting, You could make this more permanent by editing :

/system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-dns.conf

If that works, and you are unfamiliar with shell scripting, then post some conditions (i.e SSID of network, gw of network etc) and i'll see if i can knock something up for you.

Hope that helps

tiptoekirk

Feb 20, 2007
Charlotte
Not sure if i get that... When you use static ip there is a section that allows you to specify the DNS... not sure what you mean :confused: The problem as i see it, is that there is no easy way (via android GUI) of changing DNS if you use DHCP

Anyways... try...

adb shell setprop dhcp.eth0.dns1 <IP>
adb shell setprop dhcp.eth0.dns2 <IP>
etc

This will only change the DNS server. If you know shell scripting, You could make this more permanent by editing :

/system/etc/dhcpcd/dhcpcd-hooks/20-dns.conf

If that works, and you are unfamiliar with shell scripting, then post some conditions (i.e SSID of network, gw of network etc) and i'll see if i can knock something up for you.

Hope that helps

Yes i am wanting to just change the DNS server that my phone uses when connecting to wifi but i cant set it up dynamically so i am forced to keep it dhcp.

i tried the way you said and it didn't do it.. this android stuff is new to me.. after i type in that command in it does not say anything.. i have rooted and unlocked my nexus one and pretty good with computers but this linux stuff is another ballgame..

ive done some dos scripting back in the day, is this anything similar? what other info would u need from me to create the file? SSID, password, ??

THANKS!

white^rabbit

Mar 25, 2010
Verona
amperini.wordpress.com
How to set the dns for the mobile internet connection?! I wanna use FoolDNS in place of Google DNS.. Because with froyo 2.2 and flashplayer we see allllllll the advertising on web and navigation becames much slower:)