[Tool] Yaffey - Utility for reading, editing and writing YAFFS2 images

Search This thread

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
Yaffey v0.2 now available:

Added import dialog to choose to import file(s) or a directory
Added support to import multiple files
Added support to import 1 directory at a time (using dialog)
Added drag & drop importing (which supports multiple directories & files!)
Added support to delete more than one item at a time
Added summary dialog after saving an image
Added text below icons in toolbar at the request of varun.chitre15 @ XDA!

Reactions: varun.chitre15

baraozemo

Oct 3, 2011
Hi Necro,

I'm trying to create a yaffs2 image using your tool but it fails.

I have a nandroid backup of my LG P698 (LG Optimus Net Dual).
- I unpack it the .img using using yaffs2.exe in windows xp (all works fine)
- and I try to "repack" using your tool Yaffey v0.2 but I got a problem.

(the original .img file has in the root the file "\build.prop")

in the file saved by Yaffey, when I added some folders (ok) and
added the file (in the root) \build.prop,
in the viewer the \build.prop is display normally,
and I use the "SAVE AS" command to generate the new .img file,
BUT when I load the SAVED image, the
folders are displayed (ok)
but the root file "\build.pro" DISAPPEAR

could you fix this bug?

thanks
Zemo

Reactions: necro_

UtCollector@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2011
Hey there i did try to open my system.img but i get a popop (Summary)
with the message:
Files 1
Directories:0
SymLinks:0
Hardlinks:0
Specials:0
Unknowns:0
Errors:10

Warning:
Incomplete page found at end of file.
----------------------------------------------------
So the program will only show the / in the window with permission info date info and the info about user and group.

I made the system.img using a dd command from a terminal on my tablet. (The tablet is rooted) Sow i have no idee if the dd command made a propper yaffs2 image. I have no idee what image type i have made..

There is no cwm recovery for my device jet to make a propper nandroid backup.

Could you tell me how i could make a propper system.img sow that i can open it with you're program? I could upload my system.img if you would like to check ik out.

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
with the message:
Files 1

Warning:
So the program will only show the / in the window with permission info date info and the info about user and group.

I made the system.img using a dd command from a terminal on my tablet. (The tablet is rooted) Sow i have no idee if the dd command made a propper yaffs2 image. I have no idee what image type i have made..

Could you tell me how i could make a propper system.img sow that i can open it with you're program? I could upload my system.img if you would like to check ik out.

dd misses the out of band (OOB) aka spare data so it doesn't produce a proper YAFFS2 image.

As I understand it, Nandroid backups are produced using the mkyaffsimage command line tool so you should be able to create your own image on your device with that.

UtCollector@gmail.com

Nov 7, 2011
Hello, I finally managed to make a system.img that i can open with you're tool. I happy that i now know for sure that i have a proper system.img backup.

I tell you how i made the image for my ARM tablet. Maybe you can ad it to the post ore some thing helping others making a good image.

I did download a mkfs.yaffs2.arm. I did coppy it from pc to sdcard. From there i used a file menager to coppy mkfs.yaffs2.arm to the data folder. Than i run a terminal on my tablet.

In terminal i typed:
cd data
./mkfs.yaffs2.arm /system /system.img
This will dump a system.img in the root (/system.img)

Jun 13, 2012
Levelland
This looks promising. I'll give this one a shot.

As far as suggestions go for next version, I would like to see support for importing nandroid backups and exporting them as IMGs. (example, those tar files that CWM makes when it makes a backup. It saves recovery, boot, and radio as IMG files, but for data and system it does not. It save those as tar files) It's mostly symbolic links and permissions that I want correctly preserved.

I'm trying to convert a post data wipe nandroid backup to a IMG file so I can use it with Android Kitchen. The main reason for this is that my phone has a shipped rom available, but it does NOT have one that has the latest OTA update integrated that was released this month.

My plan is to use my post OTA update system (with root) as a IMG file to be flashed via hboot for an alternative root method that doesn't involve cwm. Since the particular forum I visit actively enforces the GPL license, thus the CWM port I found can't be posted publicly there (since the source code to that port is not yet available). Thus alternative means of helping users root their phone is needed. :D

Plus my update can be paired with the latest boot.img file so that users can "flash" the OTA update without worring about OTA updates failing to update the kernel due to the boot loader issue/S-On issue.

EDIT: I didn't think to just extract the tar file directly in Ubontu into the extracted working folder for the current rom project in Android Kitchen. Looks like it's having no trouble zipaligning and deodexing it. So I should be good on that front right? :D

Though still, a tar to IMG function would still save some time when creating new rom projects.

Last edited:

ngagephone

Jul 24, 2006
Doncaster (Town)
This looks promising. I'll give this one a shot.

As far as suggestions go for next version, I would like to see support for importing nandroid backups and exporting them as IMGs. (example, those tar files that CWM makes when it makes a backup. It saves recovery, boot, and radio as IMG files, but for data and system it does not. It save those as tar files) It's mostly symbolic links and permissions that I want correctly preserved.

I'm trying to convert a post data wipe nandroid backup to a IMG file so I can use it with Android Kitchen. The main reason for this is that my phone has a shipped rom available, but it does NOT have one that has the latest OTA update integrated that was released this month.

My plan is to use my post OTA update system (with root) as a IMG file to be flashed via hboot for an alternative root method that doesn't involve cwm. Since the particular forum I visit actively enforces the GPL license, thus the CWM port I found can't be posted publicly there (since the source code to that port is not yet available). Thus alternative means of helping users root their phone is needed. :D

Plus my update can be paired with the latest boot.img file so that users can "flash" the OTA update without worring about OTA updates failing to update the kernel due to the boot loader issue/S-On issue.

EDIT: I didn't think to just extract the tar file directly in Ubontu into the extracted working folder for the current rom project in Android Kitchen. Looks like it's having no trouble zipaligning and deodexing it. So I should be good on that front right? :D

Though still, a tar to IMG function would still save some time when creating new rom projects.

Android market Rom factory can do just what you .need.

Sent from my HTC EVO 3D X515m using Tapatalk 2

fatimarvin_15

Jan 3, 2011
is there a way (or modified CWM or modified img) to include vendor partition on NAND Backup by CWM?
Because ICS for xperia neo have the so called vendor partition...

thanks

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
is there a way (or modified CWM or modified img) to include vendor partition on NAND Backup by CWM?
Because ICS for xperia neo have the so called vendor partition...

thanks

An img is typically only a single partition (unless its an entire device image but that's more of a manufacturer deal). The partition in the img would be system, user data, root, vendor... You wouldn't get e.g. system & vendor partitions in 1 img.

The file system used in the img can also vary so creating an img in ways mentioned in this thread might not work for your vendor partition. I wouldn't imagine the vendor partition would even need backing up because its not something you'd need to modifiy.

As for backing up and restoring the vendor partition using ClockWorkMod, that's more of a question to be posted in a ClockWorkMod thread, or maybe even a new thread?!...

Reactions: po seyla

shardul_seth

Jul 31, 2011
Wonderful app!
Why not post in other xperia phones themes and apps forum also, so that more people get to know of this incredible app..

Thanks again!

Antagonist42

Feb 5, 2012
Bolton
Excellent utility and very easy to use great job ;-)

A couple of small mods may make it easier for newer users to Android/Linux, a Legend for basic permissions and the related codes (if anybody is like me they can never remember them :-( ) and would it be possible to edit the, for example the 'system' folders permission, as it's the only item I've not been able to edit in yaffey.

Again many thanks for your efforts :D

Sent from my Acer E320 using xda app-developers app

necro_

May 9, 2012
London
Excellent utility and very easy to use great job ;-)

A couple of small mods may make it easier for newer users to Android/Linux, a Legend for basic permissions and the related codes (if anybody is like me they can never remember them :-( ) and would it be possible to edit the, for example the 'system' folders permission, as it's the only item I've not been able to edit in yaffey.

Again many thanks for your efforts :D

Sent from my Acer E320 using xda app-developers app

ah yes, the 'system' folder will be the root of the system image and for some reason I thought it would be a good idea to make it so you can't change the permission of the root object. That needs to be changed!

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I've created a GUI utility for reading, editing and creating YAFFS2 images that hopefully people will find useful. You can read Android system and data partitions and modify them how you like. Import and export files to and from the images. The tool is up on Google Code with source, written in Qt 4.8.1.

http://code.google.com/p/yaffey

Features
    - Create new YAFFS2 image
    - Open existing image
    - Export files/directories from image
    - Import files into image (permissions inherited from parent directory, dates created/modified/accessed set to current date & time)
    - Delete files
    - Edit filenames
    - Edit permissions
    - Edit user and group ids
    - Edit symbolic link aliases
    - ECC (Error Checking & Correction) support

New in v0.2
    Added import dialog to choose to import file(s) or a directory
    Added support to import multiple files
    Added support to import 1 directory at a time (using dialog)
    Added drag & drop importing (which supports multiple directories & files!)
    Added support to delete more than one item at a time
    Added summary dialog after saving an image
    Added text below icons in toolbar at the request of varun.chitre15!

yaffey-v0.2-screenshot.png

I've been using it to modify the stock system image for my Xperia Play. You can easily add/remove APKs etc. It's a nice alternative to the unyaffs/mkyaffs command line tools.

It has limitations but am happy to extend the functionailty if it's found to be useful...
    Hi varun, that's good news. Spread the word! I've been wanting to reply to some threads about YAFFS images and tools etc but can't post in most forums yet... Need to spend some time on here to get my post count up I guess.

I'm planning on adding more features to the app like adding su, superuser.apk & busybox with a few clicks for easy rooting and a GUI for fastboot for easy flashing to make the whole image editing and rooting process as easy as possible.
    Wow!!
    Was looking for this since ages
    Thanks a lot
    This is indeed useful

Burned from my laser torch using pencil cells
    Here is the suggestion list
    1. Add support for adding multiple files at once while creating image file
    2. Add support to add folders inside image fle
    3. Add Drag and drop if possible
    4. In the tool bar of the tool, can u add the text below the icons as it is somewhat difficult to identify which option does what and to see its function I had to move mouse over the buttons
    5. Add support for EXT2, EXT4 images too :D
    Your tool is very great

Never thought about converting a zip to YAFFS2 image, that's a good idea.
    On your suggestion list:
    1, 2 & 3 are definites and will do those next.
    4. I could add the text to the toolbar but will look ugly so not sure about that one yet. :p
    5... maybe one day :D
    with the message:
    Files 1

Warning:

dd misses the out of band (OOB) aka spare data so it doesn't produce a proper YAFFS2 image.

As I understand it, Nandroid backups are produced using the mkyaffsimage command line tool so you should be able to create your own image on your device with that.