Different Root Methods

Search This thread

Hypera

Nov 2, 2010
Besides they all roots the phone and different ways to root the phone; any difference between those methods? Like will one cause a phone to random reboot more often (stability), battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, performance, etc.

• IOroot
  • PurpleDrake-Lite
  • Stump Root

thank you

bobcat987

Mar 31, 2011
PurpleDrake won't work with the VS985 (Verizon) version. I used IOroot on my phone because it was the only option at the time, but I would say go with Stump Root now as it is easier/faster. In general the only thing these root methods do is exploit a security vulnerability to install the su binary on the system partition, and that is the only lasting effect. With su installed, it is possible to assume root privilege. Random reboots, battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, and performance loss are not directly affected by root; however it is possible that an app that uses root privilege could impact these, so be careful what you install.

Reactions: Hypera

Anthony825

Jul 31, 2013
I used the stump root method because it came out the day after I got my phone and I'm lazy as hell. Any phone I've ever rooted has had multiple methods and they all do the same exact thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. @bobcat987 I couldn't have it it better myself.

tech_head

Besides they all roots the phone and different ways to root the phone; any difference between those methods? Like will one cause a phone to random reboot more often (stability), battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, performance, etc.

• IOroot
  • PurpleDrake-Lite
  • Stump Root

thank you

No. These different methods exploit a vulnerability that allows them to gain "root" to modify the file system to place the "su" binary on the system which in turn allows you to get privileged/superuser access.

These methods, although different, do essentially the same thing and leave "su" behind.
None of them affect the things you are talking about.

tu3218

Apr 14, 2009
Is it pretty easy to reverse the root? My past couple phones I haven't rooted(sorta because it was difficulty, moto x), but also cause I've trying to get away from it because I was spending too much time on it lol. So I'm a little out of the loop, but is it pretty easy to reverse the root? In case of an update or something of that sort. I mainly want like wifi tether, ad block.

trent999

Nov 16, 2013
To unroot, you have to uninstall both su and whatever superuser app you are using to manage app access to su.
Otherwise you would have to flash the original TOT file to completely return the phone to fresh as shipped, and that is not exactly "easy".

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    PurpleDrake won't work with the VS985 (Verizon) version. I used IOroot on my phone because it was the only option at the time, but I would say go with Stump Root now as it is easier/faster. In general the only thing these root methods do is exploit a security vulnerability to install the su binary on the system partition, and that is the only lasting effect. With su installed, it is possible to assume root privilege. Random reboots, battery drain, wifi, wireless signal changes, and performance loss are not directly affected by root; however it is possible that an app that uses root privilege could impact these, so be careful what you install.
    I used the stump root method because it came out the day after I got my phone and I'm lazy as hell. Any phone I've ever rooted has had multiple methods and they all do the same exact thing. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. @bobcat987 I couldn't have it it better myself.

• IOroot
    • PurpleDrake-Lite
    • Stump Root

thank you

No. These different methods exploit a vulnerability that allows them to gain "root" to modify the file system to place the "su" binary on the system which in turn allows you to get privileged/superuser access.

These methods, although different, do essentially the same thing and leave "su" behind.
    None of them affect the things you are talking about.