[Q] How to configure and deploy a large scale android installation (2.3.3.)

Search This thread

odaugaard

Apr 14, 2009
Hi,

I am about to assist in deploying a large amount of android device. The requirement is, that the devices (700+) need to be charged, configured and provisioned with the relevant applications for the end-users before delivery.

Device info:
Android 2.3.3
Samsung Galaxy SII

This is not windows mobile, so I am unsure if I can code/design a solution to avoid this enormous manual task.

Is it possible to code something for an sd-card that will be automatically triggered on insertion (as on WM)? This would then provision the device etc.

Is it possible to bypass the initial prompts - To my knowledge you will be prompted for entering the info for your google accounts?

If above is not possible, do I then need to create 700+ google accounts?

Hope someone can help:)

Brgds

odaugaard

Apr 14, 2009
A suggestion I received from another forum, was that I could: Make an update.zip for apps .Copy on SD card .Boot in recovery . Apply update.zip.

Would this be a feasible way to go?

Khilbron

Oct 28, 2010
Brentwood, TN
A suggestion I received from another forum, was that I could: Make an update.zip for apps .Copy on SD card .Boot in recovery . Apply update.zip.

Would this be a feasible way to go?

We just deployed 100 EVO 4G's prior to the deployment we sent a mass email requesting the users create their own Google account and email us the info so we could setup their new phone with email and corporate email access. It took awhile to setup 100 android devices but it went smooth.

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Gear1

Sep 14, 2011
You can use SureMDM from 42Gears for mass provisioning, application deployment and password policy enforcement on Android devices, including smartphones and tablets.

It does not require Google accounts. Install the agent directly on the devices and then use the web-based console to perform all of the above actions from one place. For e.g. you can push an apk on hundreds of devices with a single click.

On non-rooted phones installation of .apks will prompt the user to continue the action.

Free trial is available on the website 42Gears dot com

aptraum

Oct 19, 2011
Similar situation here and am fielding any suggestions or ideas if things have changed in the last several months regarding deployment.

Scenerio:
Deploying approx 200 Asus Transformers in an educational setting

Wish List:
Setup all units using the same Google account, populate static name on the lockscreen, install 3 specific apps on each and the ability to identify each one individually on the market for individual app install by an "administrator".

Currently we are doing each unit manually and then having to wait a few minutes for the Market to populate the new unit and then changing the nickname to the bldg/room number. If we don't wait for the Market to refresh for the new device they will all show as Asus Transformer TF101 and obviously we will not know which device to send specific apps to when they are requested.

There just has to be a better way! I checked out SureMDM and it has a lot of features that we really don't need and it doesn't appear to accomplish what we do need.

Any suggestions or comments would be greatly appreciated!

stephendt0

Apr 9, 2012
QLD, Australia
I know this is an old thread, but what about rooting and building a custom ROM for each unique device to let it do what you want? I'm thinking of doing something similar at the moment.

aptraum

Oct 19, 2011
I know this is an old thread, but what about rooting and building a custom ROM for each unique device to let it do what you want? I'm thinking of doing something similar at the moment.

Probably would work although Google now has a way to streamline deployment:
unfortunately I cannot post the direct link but goto developer dot android dot com/edu