HTC HD2 Screen Repair Guide

Search This thread

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
No success...
I need some homebrew technique. And I didn't expect a company to answer. You know, after 4 years, the original clothing is like dust... and I want more usage than 3 months...
Then phone was 150 EURs the previous year, and it lasted only for 3 months. So pressing the button frequently kills the flex cable soon.
And I made a coat for flex cables in slider phones. From pure tuct tape, and it works if there is enough place. Do you need any picture to understand what do I want?
But if somebody did a succesful and long lasting protection, i would try it out. But I couldn't find one.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
No success...
I need some homebrew technique. And I didn't expect a company to answer. You know, after 4 years, the original clothing is like dust... and I want more usage than 3 months...
Then phone was 150 EURs the previous year, and it lasted only for 3 months. So pressing the button frequently kills the flex cable soon.
And I made a coat for flex cables in slider phones. From pure tuct tape, and it works if there is enough place. Do you need any picture to understand what do I want?
But if somebody did a succesful and long lasting protection, i would try it out. But I couldn't find one.
When I reviewed the repair guide for you and spoke with another tech. familiar with this phone, he assured me that the home button was far enough away not to damage the flex. If you'd like to send me a picture I will definitely do all I can to get you an answer as quickly as possible today. maybe within the next hour or so..

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
When I reviewed the repair guide for you and spoke with another tech. familiar with this phone, he assured me that the home button was far enough away not to damage the flex. If you'd like to send me a picture I will definitely do all I can to get you an answer as quickly as possible today. maybe within the next hour or so..

20130611538.jpg

20130611537.jpg

That's the old and damaged flex cable, I just tested if the buttons still fit in the place, but I think it's too thick. If you remind me I can provide more photos, but I think you have seen a disassembled HTC HD2, at least on images.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
That's the old and damaged flex cable, I just tested if the buttons still fit in the place, but I think it's too thick. If you remind me I can provide more photos, but I think you have seen a disassembled HTC HD2, at least on images.

wik86u.jpg

This black tape should not be there. It is stopping the buttons from setting in place as you put the phone back together. Please remove the tape from the screen/digi but please go slow and do not pull or cut the cable.

please replay if you need help.

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
No success...
if you use wp7 on hd2, you can remap the power and back button using new leo advanced xap
If using android there are many softkey power button mods and apps
You may never need to use those buttons again, and luckily hd2 has spare buttons;)

Reactions: quailstorm

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
if you use wp7 on hd2, you can remap the power and back button using new leo advanced xap
You may never need to use those buttons again, and luckily hd2 has spare buttons;)

Great! Thanks!

Before the tragedy happened, but the digitizer started struggling, the phone ran WP7.8 and Android 4.1.2 in dual boot. On android softkeys were used, even for screen locking, but I am amazed to see a solution for WP too.
I hope it will last longer with the new digitizer covered with tape like on the pictures and minimalizing the usage of power button. In those 3 months, it was pressed hundreds of times, so we didn't take care about it...

I will order an LCD+digitizer in two weeks. I think it's worth 45 euros.

How should I reassemble it? I'm thinking about using double side duct tape. But if I place the buttons wrongly, it will be hard to correct it...
Currently it would fall apart, or open like a book. That's what I hate in this phone, tape everywhere...

This black tape should not be there. It is stopping the buttons from setting in place as you put the phone back together. Please remove the tape from the screen/digi but please go slow and do not pull or cut the cable.

It's the old, damaged flex you are seeing on the picture. You can't understand what I wrote? It was for testing purpose, and yes, as you say, it blocks the button. But only ONE layer wouldn't, as originally, there was a small piece of clotch on the flex for protecting it... I disassembled the phone, I saw it.

Last edited:

Robbie P

Feb 8, 2011
London
i wouldn't use duct tape to repair, perhaps just cloth or a plastic shield. if using duct tape and it crinkles over time, it could bend the ribbon.
I haven't actually replaced my screen, so ymmv
yes i only just realised that leo advanced remapped the power key too, it wasn't available before iirc. i tested on hd2owner's rom so it should work for all wp7.8
I am sure you will be careful with it ongoing, so best of luck with whatever your choice.

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
i wouldn't use duct tape to repair, perhaps just cloth or a plastic shield. if using duct tape and it crinkles over time, it could bend the ribbon.

Maybe you are right. I already used duct tape in a W705 and in a W910 (Sony Ericssons) but those mods are less than a month old. I will look for something more useful than duct tape, but cloth is worse I think. It worns down easily.
Anyway, I haven't experienced crinkling on an unstreched piece of tape. They come off in one piece after 3-4 years. And in this place, it's not necessary to strain the tape. But I will see. I can practice on the damaged one as many as I want.

Anyway, the digitizer is useless, but the LCD works. Is there a pinout for it? To use for a Raspberry PI for example.

Thanks for helping.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
It's the old, damaged flex you are seeing on the picture. You can't understand what I wrote? It was for testing purpose, and yes, as you say, it blocks the button. But only ONE layer wouldn't, as originally, there was a small piece of clotch on the flex for protecting it... I disassembled the phone, I saw it.

I understand what you wrote Quailstorm, I`m here helping.Here is some info that should help you.

"You first talked about how the digitizer flex cable broke," If you did not break the digitizer jawbone flex holder here.
ajl3ig.png

all you will have to replace is the digitizer which can be bought at

Now if you broke that and the LCD connection then you will need both.

Now What buttons are not working is it the power? or the button row? Either the case both of theses can be replaced and should fix the problem. Lets say you buy the replacement parts and the buttons do not work. It could be either software problem ( if it is Software , you can find other ways around this as the LEO Advanced as Robbie P has said. or hardware IE - Mobo is no longer working.

Yes one layer would block the buttons. The phone is made to be flush with nothing in its way. The Orignal flex cable on the did not have that. So by added it to the phone will prevent buttons not working. ( Now Understand that to add adhesive to the - say - lcd to keep it in place that can be allowed because it needs to hold down the lcd/digi to the middle plate.

Now with 'ducttape' I would say use another adhesive. Duct tape can be to thick. Should be using 2mm or 3mm black adhesive. If that can not be found you can use adhesive and cut strips.

Hope you can get your hd2 up and running

Last edited:

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
Both jawbones are in good condition. And I broke the LCD when I tried to cut the digitizer off with a blade... So I have to buy it with LCD.

Every button works, but it's hard to align the case and the plastic button cover. And if I stick the phone with adhesive and make a mistake... I don't want to disassemble it again. But it's mine task to assemble the phone perfectly.

I have adhesive at home. It's about 2mm thick. Itt will be good to fix the LCD on the middleplate. Duct tape is for preventing another flex cable damage. I shown you images. I will do this with the new digitizer. So the power button won't start abrasion on the flex instantly.

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
Not an abrasion issue, problem is more likely due to digitizer constant flexing around the tail area. I have maintained 24 Company HD2's for almost 3yrs & even my personal device from new with minimal key usage had digitizer failure.
2mm thick tape will be no good. For perfect job on one device you probably best getting the tape from eBay. I use a little (and I mean a little) pu40 silicone adhesive added in the groove between lcd & digi after first assembled with tape as holds much firmer & gives more oem feel & remains perfectly bonded like oem too. I also use a few small half rice grain spots down sides of lcd to chassis & near corners (make gaps in tape for the adhesive spots) works well & makes finish perfectly flush, secure & firm. Also easily stripped again by using razor to cut the adhesive & scrape it off.
obviously dry run lcd/digi & button alignment before secure fixing & it worth making effort to test lcd/digi attached to mainboard with battery pressed on contacts for correct lcd & touch function before final rebuild ...

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Both jawbones are in good condition. And I broke the LCD when I tried to cut the digitizer off with a blade... So I have to buy it with LCD.

Every button works, but it's hard to align the case and the plastic button cover. And if I stick the phone with adhesive and make a mistake... I don't want to disassemble it again. But it's mine task to assemble the phone perfectly.

I have adhesive at home. It's about 2mm thick. Itt will be good to fix the LCD on the middleplate. Duct tape is for preventing another flex cable damage. I shown you images. I will do this with the new digitizer. So the power button won't start abrasion on the flex instantly.

Great. The 2mm adhesive is very good to use. Sorry about you breaking the LCD . It can be a pain sometimes even on the HD2. Which is a hard phone to repair for the first time.

A good way to help you align the buttons on the bottom before you do your adhesive is to put the adhesive on it but do not take off the sticker part ( talking about the white paper ) and then put the lcd and digitizer in the phone you can align the parts right and do a "dry run" on the phone before you do the adhesive.

Good luck on this phone. its a great phone when you can root / hack it and make it yours as you want it to be.

any more steps or help feel free to post and I will allways follow up .

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
Need recap on that tape 2mm wide or 2mm thick !? 2mm thick would be no good, 2mm wide tape ok.
a tweak I do on my rebuilds is raise the button board on an extra layer of adhesive tape, perhaps even 2 layers if needed, this keeps the buttons closer to the digi thus more clearance from the ribbon, I mainly do this to get more precision fit of buttons without the looseness that can be present.

Last edited:

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
a tweak I do on my rebuilds is raise the button board on an extra layer of adhesive tape, perhaps even 2 layers if needed, this keeps the buttons closer to the digi thus more clearance from the ribbon, I mainly do this to get more precision fit of buttons without the looseness that can be present.

That's what I was thinking of. So it works, thank you for confirming. The adhesive whick is at home, is 1,5-2mm THICK. And about 1cm wide. But I will look for a better solution.

Not an abrasion issue, problem is more likely due to digitizer constant flexing around the tail area.

But the cloth cover on the flex fell apart, and the part of the flex which is under the power button is transparent. It would be good to protect it.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Need recap on that tape 2mm wide or 2mm thick !? 2mm thick would be no good, 2mm wide tape ok.

3M Double Sided Adhesive Tape - 2mm you can find this on our site. this would be what you should use. I use this is my phone repairs. Its the best from what i have come to know when repairing an android/windows device. Now apple devices I use something else.

When you have the Digitizer and lcd together you can pop in the bottom buttons in to that slot on the digitizer and then put the Digitizer/LCD/Buttons on the housing. It should fit with little to no ease so you then can test the buttons on it.

repairsuniverse

Aug 11, 2010
Not an abrasion issue, problem is more likely due to digitizer constant flexing around the tail area. I have maintained 24 Company HD2's for almost 3yrs & even my personal device from new with minimal key usage had digitizer failure.
2mm thick tape will be no good. .

I have tried the 1mm tape and I have found that its just to small to make it worth it. Because you will use more then what you need to make it stick to what you want.
The 2mm is just the right size and gives the most stickiness to the housing or lcd or digitzer depends on what you are using it for.

Mister B

Sep 14, 2006
Ratchada (Bangkok)
That's what I was thinking of. So it works, thank you for confirming. The adhesive whick is at home, is 1,5-2mm THICK. And about 1cm wide. But I will look for a better solution.

But the cloth cover on the flex fell apart, and the part of the flex which is under the power button is transparent. It would be good to protect it.

Tape you have at home is no good, you want tape 2mm wide maximum & about 0.2mm thick.
Can be found on likes of eBay or OP's website. I don't find tapes alone good enough but that is up to you on your rebuild preference.

You can indeed add one layer of protective tape over the digi ribbon lcd edge, I use a high tack shielding tape mainly to add bit of support to ribbon & keep it shaped/positioned perfectly. from all HD2's I have opened I have never seen evidence of abrasion on the ribbon.

quailstorm

Nov 10, 2012
Szeged
So, I'm here at last...
My adhesive is about 1,2mm thick. So it's good. I measured it. It's too wide, but scissors are invented.
On the images you can see an aluminium like piece of textilia on tha lower part of the screen. Middlepart of the buttons place, back of LCD panel. Same thing was sticked onto the flex, which is photographed in the light.
And I've got another problem, with a broken GPS connector. I will resolder it, because the first try was not very paraller with the original. Will it affect anything?
I placed back the LCD, and WinMO6.5 still boots up, with no touch.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5487/11011118904_44b1d2e8f5_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5502/11011166533_bb9f56606a_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7380/11010941815_7113850a4f_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7312/11011038586_96a1055716_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5529/11010944055_99935799de_o.jpg
http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3689/11010945485_c3aaece915_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7419/11011172433_48f8c4133c_o.jpg
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7405/11011173983_a17533db4c_o.jpg
http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5471/11011129084_8f16454c99_o.jpg

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Do you have a damaged or cracked screen on your HTC HD2? Having problem with the display and other internal parts? This written repair guide will walk you through all the steps required to disassemble your HTC HD2 and repair a damaged screen or other internal parts in a safe, quick manner.

This guide will help you to install the following HTC HD2 part(s):

• HTC HD2 LCD Screen Display Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Glass Touch Screen Digitizer Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Loud Speaker Replacement
    • HTC HD2 Ear Speaker Replacement
    • Other HD2 Replacement Parts

Tools Required:

• Safe Open Pry Tool
    • T5 Torx Screwdriver
    • Pair of Tweezers (optional)

HTC HD2 Written Repair Guide:
    • First remove the battery cover and battery from the HD2.
    • Now you will need to remove four T-5 Torx screws from housing surrounding the battery. Apply pressure to the area of the battery and use a safe open pry tool to release the housing from the chassis.
    • Using your pry tool, slide it along the outside edges until the housing is removed from the chassis, as shown in Figure 1.
    HD2-1.jpg

Figure 1​
    • Remove the 5 Torx Screws from the Chassis located in Figure 2. Remove the flash cable connector from the motherboard to the flash frame camera. Use a safe open pry tool to pop the black antenna cable from the motherboard and upper board.
    HD2-2.jpg

Figure 2​
    • Then remove the keyboard flex cable connector from the motherboard. Do this by using a safe open pry tool to lift up on the alligator clip, and remove the ribbon. Remove the label located below the battery.
    • Pop the white cable from the GPS unit located in the left top corner and work your way to the motherboard. Remove the GPS board.
    • Now, release the volume flex from the housing. Use a safe pry tool to remove the adhesive holding the motherboard flex cable in place.
    • You can now flip the motherboard and flex to the side, exposing the LCD flex cable connector. Use a pry tool to move the clip forward and release the cable as shown in Figure 3.
    HD2-3.jpg

Figure 3​
    • Use a hair dryer or heat gun to heat the front of the digitizer, working in quick movements for 1-2 minutes.
    • Slide a safe open pry tool along the edges to remove the metal housing from the screen assembly as shown in Figure 4.
    HD2-4.jpg

Figure 4​
    • Remove the buttons from the lower portion of the digitizer. Slide a pry tool in between the LCD screen and digitizer to separate the two.
    • You can now replace either the touch screen digitizer or the LCD screen
    • Now you will be able to replace any parts on your HTC HD2. Simply replace the damaged parts with the new ones and reverse the order to put your phone back together again.
    No success...
    2mm thick tape will be no good. For perfect job on one device you probably best getting the tape from eBay. I use a little (and I mean a little) pu40 silicone adhesive added in the groove between lcd & digi after first assembled with tape as holds much firmer & gives more oem feel & remains perfectly bonded like oem too. I also use a few small half rice grain spots down sides of lcd to chassis & near corners (make gaps in tape for the adhesive spots) works well & makes finish perfectly flush, secure & firm. Also easily stripped again by using razor to cut the adhesive & scrape it off.
    obviously dry run lcd/digi & button alignment before secure fixing & it worth making effort to test lcd/digi attached to mainboard with battery pressed on contacts for correct lcd & touch function before final rebuild ...

Great. The 2mm adhesive is very good to use. Sorry about you breaking the LCD . It can be a pain sometimes even on the HD2. Which is a hard phone to repair for the first time.

A good way to help you align the buttons on the bottom before you do your adhesive is to put the adhesive on it but do not take off the sticker part ( talking about the white paper ) and then put the lcd and digitizer in the phone you can align the parts right and do a "dry run" on the phone before you do the adhesive.

Good luck on this phone. its a great phone when you can root / hack it and make it yours as you want it to be.

any more steps or help feel free to post and I will allways follow up .
    I would say your adhesive is too thick, it will result in screen not fitting flush with bezel edge of back cover.
    example of chassis/digi tapes below:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131049200791
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/321114254523
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/290992514596
    Broken antenna should be ok if soldered & positioned good.
    You sure the lcd cracked, most people actually crack the original digi glass which is behind the main toughened glass & then give in thus actually breaking lcd when think already ruined.
    You really need look at digi & LCD & you will see 3 layers as such, heat the digi with hot air so easier slice & part & reheat as needed until separated. LCD is quite hard to break unless really rough or pry it with screwdrivers.