What exactly is KNOX?

Search This thread

blu422

Jun 12, 2012
Bountiful, UT
So I've read all over and I have gotten several different ideas of what KNOX is. What is it exactly does it prevent you from installing custom roms/recoveries? Is this the same for all phones/devices running KNOX?

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Knox is Samsung proprietary security software ...designed to create a secure partition or "container" within the virtual space...

Designed primarily for corporate level use...the Knox container is used to contain email....messaging...and other secure applications that are considered private....and are generally chosen by Samsung...

For the average user...Knox is a security curse...locking a portion of the bootloader and flagging the device if any attempt is made to gain root access....effectively voiding the device warranty...

Samsung makes grand claims regarding this flag...and claims it is permanent and cannot be removed...

The flag signal indicates the secure container has been compromised...

Knox is a step to lure in lucrative contracts from entities like the U.S. Army...and large corporate entities that need secure devices....or for those entities which allow BYOD programs....

Knox enabled note 2 devices can be rooted...and software can easily be flashed....but currently there is no correction for a tripped Knox counter....

I hope this helps a bit....g

Sent from my NOTE 2.750...
Courtesy of our amazing developers...

Last edited:

OhCaN99

Jan 15, 2013
London
Knox

It's not fun for the average user. If your enterprise then sure but even then not good. I rooted and installed 4.4.2 once 4.3 hit my note 2... I did not like it. for whatever reason it was slower.... so anyways it took days to finally get samsung/knox out and omnirom in...

Reactions: gregsarg and blu422

ShadowVlican

Feb 27, 2007
Toronto
Knox is Samsung proprietary security software ...designed to create a secure partition or "container" within the virtual space...

Designed primarily for corporate level use...the Knox container is used to contain email....messaging...and other secure applications that are considered private....and are generally chosen by Samsung...

For the average user...Knox is a security curse...locking a portion of the bootloader and flagging the device if any attempt is made to gain root access....effectively voiding the device warranty...

Samsung makes grand claims regarding this flag...and claims it is permanent and cannot be removed...

Knox is a step to lure in lucrative contracts from entities like the U.S. Army...and large corporate entities that need secure devices....or for those entities which allow BYOD programs....

Knox enabled note 2 devices can be rooted...and software can easily be flashed....but currently there is no correction for a tripped Knox counter....

thanks! that was a great summary

i'm glad i didn't jump on the 4.3 bandwagon

Reactions: gregsarg

PScales17

Nov 27, 2011
Boston
Just wondering... I run into problems rebooting my device with different non-stock ROMs - the boot animation freezes and the phone never actually boots up. I have to pull the battery and reboot - usually multiple times. Could KNOX have anything to do with this strange behavior?

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
Just wondering... I run into problems rebooting my device with different non-stock ROMs - the boot animation freezes and the phone never actually boots up. I have to pull the battery and reboot - usually multiple times. Could KNOX have anything to do with this strange behavior?

Not likely a Knox issue...
More likely you are having issues with the device being cleaned correctly before or after the flash process...

Additionally...if you took an official OTA to 4.3....you have a gimped bootloader which has given some users issues when dropping back to 4.1.xxx frameworks...(this issue is still being worked on)...

If you are flashing via Odin using full images....and do have a locked bootloader....the flash step will fail when attempting to flash a bootloader image...

Fully wipe the internal storage and your data, dalvik, and standard caches prior to flashing a new rom..but be sure to copy or backup and data or photos...music that you wish to keep ..( note...your IMEI AND EFS folder will not be deleted when using TWRP )

...and never dirty flash...

( unless told by the developer of the rom to do so )

over an existing rom..

Use TWRP recovery....version 2.6.3.1 for what I believe to be the best results...

Try the method...and if you continue to have issues....post a thread of your own in QA...g

Last edited:
Reactions: PScales17

mid_life_crisis

Mar 24, 2011

So how do you do it? I keep getting security warnings when I try to install a bootloader. Is there a way to just get rid of this curse?

Edit: Never mind. I found an article on Droidviews.

Last edited:
Reactions: gregsarg

tube517

Jun 18, 2010
Google Pixel 6
Samsung Galaxy Z Flip3
So, I got a Note 2 a couple of weeks ago and it had 4.1.2 on it. I never updated it to 4.3 as I rooted and flashed kitkat/4.4.2/CM 11 on it immediately. If I flash a 4.3 ROM, will Knox be "installed" on it? Can I flash a 4.3 ROM just like normal?

gregsarg

Apr 8, 2011
B.F.E.
You can flash any rom from this section...but a few require an updated 4.3 bootloader...

That is the leaked bootloader found in the dev section...

The problem comes if you take the OTA to 4.3...which installs the Knox bootloader ....g

Reactions: tube517

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Knox

It's not fun for the average user. If your enterprise then sure but even then not good. I rooted and installed 4.4.2 once 4.3 hit my note 2... I did not like it. for whatever reason it was slower.... so anyways it took days to finally get samsung/knox out and omnirom in...
    It's a fort in Kentucky

thanks! that was a great summary

i'm glad i didn't jump on the 4.3 bandwagon