No HSDPA on O2 UK

Search This thread

allanmb

Sep 15, 2004
Gateshead
allanmb.redirectme.net
I got my Orbit 2 last week for valentines day and am loving it! The only problem I have so far is that I cannot connect to HSDPA. I am on O2 UK and in an area where I think there should be coverage (Newcastle/Gateshead area). I have it enabled on the phone yet 90% of the time I get 3G and the rest I get Edge! I got a new sim with the phone so it *should* be compatible....

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the handset? Or is this area not yet covered?

Thanks
Allan

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
I got my Orbit 2 last week for valentines day and am loving it! The only problem I have so far is that I cannot connect to HSDPA. I am on O2 UK and in an area where I think there should be coverage (Newcastle/Gateshead area). I have it enabled on the phone yet 90% of the time I get 3G and the rest I get Edge! I got a new sim with the phone so it *should* be compatible....

Does anyone know if this is a problem with the handset? Or is this area not yet covered?

Thanks
Allan

afaik HSDPA is only available to business customers dude :( I personally left O2 last year due to the REDICULOUS prices they charge for data. Tmobile webnwalk has HSDPA available to everyone and the bill works out a damn site cheaper.

be_vigilant

Dec 23, 2006
Wakefield
Check out 3 instead. I swapped from 02 and never looked back

£20 a month for

600 Texts
75 any network minutes
1 gig a month on HSDPA speeds!!!

allanmb

Sep 15, 2004
Gateshead
allanmb.redirectme.net
I have just switched to O2 so leaving them is not an option! Mind you the tarrif aint bad! 600 cross network minutes, 500 texts and unlimited we browsing for £35 pm. Coupled with that, the Orbit2 only cost £49.99 which is pretty good.

mrvanx, I am on a business tarrif so that shouldnt be what is limiting me as far as I know...

jonboyuk

May 24, 2007
South West UK
Strange - I'm on Online 30 with unlimited txts & internet with my yearly discount) for £20 pm and I get HSDPA no problem...

Aleemz

Aug 30, 2006
I Don't get HSDPA in Stockton/Middlesbrough, but I was in Luton over the weekend and saw the H symbol a few times.

I'm on the 600 minutes, 1000 texts, and unlimited web bolt-on, and insurance for £42:50. Still deciding whether to keep the handset (Orbit 2) or wait for something with better drivers.

I havn't cancelled my contract with Orange yet, where I get 800 minutes, 400 texts, unlimited data, and Care (insurance) for £52ish.

Decisions decisions.

nickbro

Aug 29, 2007
I only got a H on my phone when I was in Bristol Temple meads. Anywhere else the post I got was a 3G sign, mostly G tho

nickbro

Aug 29, 2007
Acroding to the HSDPA map, the middle of no where in wales (Search:NP7 0EX) and it's HSDPA, yet somewhere like plymouth is not, how odd

Anks

Jul 1, 2004
I believe it is just coverage, I'm on O2 and I live and work around Docklands in London and almost permanently have a H displayed.

mrvanx

Retired Moderator
Aug 27, 2006
York
www.mrvanx.org
OnePlus 6
With regards to the 'Middle of nowhere' getting HSDPA you never know that might be where O2 did thier trial for it?? But its more likely they did the trial on the IOM since they hold the contract for telecoms dont they??

Im quite staggered how little HSDPA coverage they have since Tmobile seem to have it nearly everywhere where there is 3G??

S0ylentK

Jun 28, 2007
H in most of Brighton but on Vodafone

Before I realised the RSS thing had sucked 80mb from my data plan oops .

have to be careful now.

:)

nickbro

Aug 29, 2007
With regards to the 'Middle of nowhere' getting HSDPA you never know that might be where O2 did thier trial for it?? But its more likely they did the trial on the IOM since they hold the contract for telecoms dont they??

Im quite staggered how little HSDPA coverage they have since Tmobile seem to have it nearly everywhere where there is 3G??

Nope, middle of nowhere was not the trial, only seems to have gone HSDPA in the last month or so, as it wasn't HSDPA when I was there on my phone.

Dashers

Feb 11, 2008
I get HSDPA in Bath with O2, works a treat.

Strangely enough HSDPA appeared across the south west just after the outage on boxing day (or was it the 27th? can't remember exactly).

Alas, where I live I don't even get Edge. Which is why the Wifi is so useful. If I want to download anything big, I just do it on Wifi.

pebsuk

Feb 6, 2005
Watford

I pick it up when working in Watford so would guess it's a coverage issue..

dysoong

Jul 25, 2006
I think its a coverage problem. I'm in london (north, east, and south east usually) and get an almost permanent H symbol.
The only problem for me is that the speed is effectively the same as 3G, in london anyway.
I've disabled HSDPA to test this and get 121-128Kbps for both 3G and HSDPA.
(try http://text.dslreports.com/mspeed or http://www.dslreports.com/mspeed?jisok=1 to test for yourself)

O2 customer support reckons that the number of users in London is overwhelming and this reduces the speed.
Pretty crappy if you ask me....
My friends assure me that data speeds on O2 increase significantly when you get outside london, but I've not had the chance to leave the big smoke since getting my Orbit2.

AdamR78

Oct 14, 2006
This is (probably) a stupid question.
I have the Polaris, and live in Fulham, work in the city - yet I only ever get GPRS or Edge... my phone didn't ship with a new sim card, is it possible that I need a new one for 3G or HSDPA?

A.