[APP][v5.1] Multi-kernel, Multi-OS -Modded Tassadar's Multirom Manager

Search This thread

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
People like me find it really impossible to switch back from ics to gb permanently. And its also impossible for me to keep using ics, with poor video recording and playback, GPS wakelock bug, crappy game performance and buggy bluetooth. And you can't keep ics and gb side by side with the original multirom since they need to be compatible with the same kernel. But with this app, you can :)
What is Tassadar's Multirom? See website and original thread

Features:
Apart from the existing features which were there in the original app, this has:
ROM switching:
This app changes kernels by creating boot.img backups and flashing them. Flashing hardly takes a second in gingerbread. In ics and higher, it may take a bit longer.
ROM zip modder (to flash directly sd-ext):
You can use this app to modify your ROM zip to flash directly to sdext. You can flash it with any recovery. The modified rom zip will have multirom embedded in its boot image. So, no need to flash multirom after installing every rom.
This method is experimental.
A few points worth noting here:
-- Modded zip names will have the prefix "mrom-".
-- The boot image (with multirom in it) of the last modded zip is stored at /sdcard/multirom/tmp_boot.img. You can simply rename it with any file manager.
attachment.php

Version history:

• v1
  • Added boot.img backup / restore. (Backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/)
  • Asks for default boot location after you flash.
  • Added back and reboot buttons in Updater, so that you can reboot right after flashing.
  • Enabled ICS theme and made some layout changes to suit with it.
    v2
  • Now its possible to select a backup ROM as default after restoring boot image. (For those who keep 3 or mopre ROMS).
  • Fixed Czech translation
  • Fixed a minor bug which was there in the original app; it displayed "Multirom folder not found" instead of "No backups found"
    v3
  • lots of bugs were introduced in the last version. Choosing backups should work correctly now.
    v4
  • Now you can flash a rom to sdcard directly FROM ANY RECOVERY.
  • When modding your ROM zip, a preview of the updater script will be shown.You can edit it, if needed.
  • It is recommended to keep a copy of multirom.zip on sdcard. If you choose to download it from internet, it will be saved at /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip.
  • You can now erase your default rom (on sdcard of course) directly from this app before flashing a new one. Go to "manage ROMs".
  • Also shows the size of your default ROM.
  • bug fixes.
    v4.2
  • Script will mount sd-ext automatically before flashing in recovery.
  • if /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip is found, it will use that for preparing zips.
    v5.1
  • fixed "Cant move active ROM to backup!"
  • fixed absurd behavior and FCs during zip modding, which would happen if you cancel the process and try again.
  • shows detailed progress during zip modding.

How to install a new ROM in sd card
Just use the app to mod a ROM zip and flash the modded zip in recovery.
Simplified instructions for first time users

I have tested this method with cm9(arjen's nightlies) , cm10(rasheed's rom) , cm7(gingerblur) and stock roms(dynamite and resurrection).

Long method (only if the above process fails with certain ROMs):
Its somewhat similar to the original process here.
- If you haven't, perform up to step 2 of the original guide.
- Make nandroid backup (ur gonna need this). Wipe. flash ROM which you wanna to have on SDcard.
- Flash multirom.zip, even if you did earlier ( because everything gets wiped after flashing the ROM ). Get multirom.zip from http://tasssadar.github.com/multirom
- Backup ROM's boot.img with recovery (preferably AmonRA, because it lets u do selective backup). you need to copy the file to /sdcard/multirom/ later.
- Go to "MultiROM options" menu and select "Create from current ROM".
- Restore nandroid backup from beginning of this step and reboot.

How to switch ROMs:
1. (Only if you haven't done this before) Backup boot.img of current ROM
attachment.php

attachment.php
fmg-arrow.png
attachment.php
fmg-arrow.png
attachment.php

Warning: To backup/restore a boot image, you need at least 160 MB of free RAM. This is not a big deal in gb (where u have 300+ MB of RAM). But in ics, you may need to free up RAM using a taskkiller. A bad flash will make your device unbootable. (you will still be able to boot in recovery though)

Sources:
https://github.com/arnab321/MultiROMMgr

If this was anything useful to you, press thanks!

Attachments

• Screenshot_2012-07-19-13-22-38.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-19-13-22-38.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 9,323
  • Screenshot_2012-07-19-18-19-33.png
    Screenshot_2012-07-19-18-19-33.png
    13.8 KB · Views: 9,274
  • Screenshot_2012-08-12-03-59-22.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-12-03-59-22.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 9,298
  • Screenshot_2012-08-13-12-51-22.png
    Screenshot_2012-08-13-12-51-22.png
    26.5 KB · Views: 8,803
  • arnab321-Tasssadar-MultiROMMgr-v3.apk
    133.5 KB · Views: 222
  • arnab321-Tasssadar-MultiROMMgr-v4.1.apk
    140.9 KB · Views: 102
  • arnab321-Tasssadar-MultiROMMgr-v4.2.apk
    141.3 KB · Views: 552
  • arnab321-Tasssadar-MultiROMMgr-v5.1.apk
    142.1 KB · Views: 727
  • Screenshot_2012-10-09-00-32-42.png
    Screenshot_2012-10-09-00-32-42.png
    58.1 KB · Views: 5,517
Last edited:

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
Excelent working flawess and fast tested with cm7 and cm10

Thanks exclent work congrats

Sent from my LG-P500 using xda app-developers app

---------- Post added at 01:53 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:49 AM ----------

I think even being a app should be in p500 development section.

F

fd1999

Hey, just one little question, how do you changed the color from blue to orange?

Sent from my LG-P500 using Tapatalk 2

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
Lol best app for our phone since i have froyo for new BB now i have 4 diferent versions of android 2.2,;2.3;;4.0.4 and 4.1.1 hehe thanks a lot really cool now lol

kssood

May 3, 2011
Shimla
U made it? If yes then u are super awesome and if not then thanks for sharing

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto

i think his he work or well said he grave multirom app already existed and make it to flash boot.img and others changes..

so i think its he work too of course tassadar start all and even if he just mod app well he made a hell of a job because in multirom we cant have diferents kernels now we can...

but arnaby can explain better but thanks for this mod it really make my day yesterday lool.

Reactions: kssood

kawaiiDango

Jul 12, 2011
Hey, just one little question, how do you changed the color from blue to orange?

lol that was a cm9 theme. screenshots were taken on different days

Of course, its my work. But the original idea was Tassadar's. Without his "Updater" thing, i couldnt have done this.

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
.... cm9 in sd card verry slow? ...and sdcard is die ?

No its not that slow maybe in the begining and speed of your sdcard should be class4 at least mine is and its not that slow try it...

As four sd life well yes like a lot of stuff we already do decrease is life but im my opinion that of sd card life and other stuff like baterir etc kind a myth with a litle truth of course.

Reactions: x-dira

lipe082

Dec 25, 2010
porto
Sorry for ot
MultiRom.zip link is not in original thread anymore, can anyone please reupload it??

Sent Via Optimus One

Not now but i can ;) you can use app to install it, the one in tassadar thread but last time i use that app for that work bad i dont advise but could be of the rom i was using glad i have one in my pc....

Sent from my MOMO9 using xda app-developers app

edinrh

Feb 7, 2012
My phone dont boot after all procces :( bad

Enviado desde mi Galaxy Nexus usando Tapatalk HD

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    People like me find it really impossible to switch back from ics to gb permanently. And its also impossible for me to keep using ics, with poor video recording and playback, GPS wakelock bug, crappy game performance and buggy bluetooth. And you can't keep ics and gb side by side with the original multirom since they need to be compatible with the same kernel. But with this app, you can :)
    What is Tassadar's Multirom? See website and original thread

Features:
    Apart from the existing features which were there in the original app, this has:
    ROM switching:
    This app changes kernels by creating boot.img backups and flashing them. Flashing hardly takes a second in gingerbread. In ics and higher, it may take a bit longer.
    ROM zip modder (to flash directly sd-ext):
    You can use this app to modify your ROM zip to flash directly to sdext. You can flash it with any recovery. The modified rom zip will have multirom embedded in its boot image. So, no need to flash multirom after installing every rom.
    This method is experimental.
    A few points worth noting here:
    -- Modded zip names will have the prefix "mrom-".
    -- The boot image (with multirom in it) of the last modded zip is stored at /sdcard/multirom/tmp_boot.img. You can simply rename it with any file manager.
    attachment.php

Version history:

• v1
    • Added boot.img backup / restore. (Backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/)
    • Asks for default boot location after you flash.
    • Added back and reboot buttons in Updater, so that you can reboot right after flashing.
    • Enabled ICS theme and made some layout changes to suit with it.
      v2
    • Now its possible to select a backup ROM as default after restoring boot image. (For those who keep 3 or mopre ROMS).
    • Fixed Czech translation
    • Fixed a minor bug which was there in the original app; it displayed "Multirom folder not found" instead of "No backups found"
      v3
    • lots of bugs were introduced in the last version. Choosing backups should work correctly now.
      v4
    • Now you can flash a rom to sdcard directly FROM ANY RECOVERY.
    • When modding your ROM zip, a preview of the updater script will be shown.You can edit it, if needed.
    • It is recommended to keep a copy of multirom.zip on sdcard. If you choose to download it from internet, it will be saved at /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip.
    • You can now erase your default rom (on sdcard of course) directly from this app before flashing a new one. Go to "manage ROMs".
    • Also shows the size of your default ROM.
    • bug fixes.
      v4.2
    • Script will mount sd-ext automatically before flashing in recovery.
    • if /sdcard/multirom/multirom.zip is found, it will use that for preparing zips.
      v5.1
    • fixed "Cant move active ROM to backup!"
    • fixed absurd behavior and FCs during zip modding, which would happen if you cancel the process and try again.
    • shows detailed progress during zip modding.

How to install a new ROM in sd card
    Just use the app to mod a ROM zip and flash the modded zip in recovery.
    Simplified instructions for first time users

I have tested this method with cm9(arjen's nightlies) , cm10(rasheed's rom) , cm7(gingerblur) and stock roms(dynamite and resurrection).

Long method (only if the above process fails with certain ROMs):
    Its somewhat similar to the original process here.
    - If you haven't, perform up to step 2 of the original guide.
    - Make nandroid backup (ur gonna need this). Wipe. flash ROM which you wanna to have on SDcard.
    - Flash multirom.zip, even if you did earlier ( because everything gets wiped after flashing the ROM ). Get multirom.zip from http://tasssadar.github.com/multirom
    - Backup ROM's boot.img with recovery (preferably AmonRA, because it lets u do selective backup). you need to copy the file to /sdcard/multirom/ later.
    - Go to "MultiROM options" menu and select "Create from current ROM".
    - Restore nandroid backup from beginning of this step and reboot.

How to switch ROMs:
    1. (Only if you haven't done this before) Backup boot.img of current ROM
    attachment.php

attachment.php
    fmg-arrow.png
    attachment.php
    fmg-arrow.png
    attachment.php

Warning: To backup/restore a boot image, you need at least 160 MB of free RAM. This is not a big deal in gb (where u have 300+ MB of RAM). But in ics, you may need to free up RAM using a taskkiller. A bad flash will make your device unbootable. (you will still be able to boot in recovery though)

Sources:
    https://github.com/arnab321/MultiROMMgr

If this was anything useful to you, press thanks!
    Simplified instructions:

I guess you already have an ext partition on sdcard. (else create it from recovery, gparted, or any partitioning software). A typical rom takes about 200-250mb if you keep minimal apps.
    I also assume that you have multirom (not this app) installed. Else simply use the app's "check for updates" to install multirom. (Or maybe download the flashable zip from tasssadar.github.com )

-backup your current boot image with the app. (I'm calling this backup as rom1.img)

Steps to flash a new rom to sdcard:

-use the "prepare zip" menu of the app, choose the rom zip you want to flash on sdcard. (Sense roms will not work)

-it will take some time as it extracts, modifies and repacks the zip. When the preview of the updater script is shown, just press "save".

-after the progress bar completes, you will see the "embedding multirom" screen. If you are a first time user and see a prompt about choosing multirom.zip before that screen, just choose "download from internet".

-At the "choose boot location" prompt, select "sdcard".

-the boot image of the Rom will be stored as "tmp_boot.img" (all boot image backups are stored in /sdcard/multirom/). Just rename it to something meaningful with a file manager. Let's say I renamed it to Rom2.omg. You will need this to boot into the Rom later.

-go to recovery and flash the zip. (The modded zip will have the prefix "mrom-").

-reboot. Your Rom in sdcard should boot now.

Switching Roms:

-to switch to Rom on internal memory, go to "backup/restore boot image" on the app, select rom1.omg, choose "internal memory" and reboot.

-to switch to Rom on sdcard, do the same thing with rom2.img and choose "sdcard".
    Hello and Thanks for your work. It seems to be the thing, I requested here.

So I replaced the MultiRom Manager app from Tassadar with the one from you, but now I have issues.
    The app can't get root access. I attached the logcat at the bottom of the post. Maybe someone can help.
    Thanks!
    fixed that.

Okay, a BEEG update.

Now you can flash a rom to sdcard DIRECTLY FROM ANY RECOVERY. (Because i really hated the non touch recoveries for multirom.) Also included an option to erase current rom. You wont need the "copy modules from int. memory" option, as that it needed only if modules are incompatible with a kernel. If you want to flash a new kernel for a rom in sdcard, just restore the boot image backup of that rom, modify the zip with this app, and flash it with recovery.

So, i think all the modded recovery funcions are here in this app itself.

See the changelog for more info. (ill upload screenshots later)
    i fixed some stupidities introduced in the last version and uploaded v5.1

http://xdaforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=1385822

lol that was a cm9 theme. screenshots were taken on different days

Of course, its my work. But the original idea was Tassadar's. Without his "Updater" thing, i couldnt have done this.