Huawei Ideos U8150 Recovery Guide

Search This thread

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
Many people seem to be having a lot of trouble flashing recoveries for their Ideos so I figured I would write this thread because I haven't found any other guides for flashing U8150 recoveries.

Method 1

1. Install Terminal Emulator from the market.
2. Install Root Explorer from the market.
3. Download the recovery of your choice and copy the recovery.img to your sd card. (if its not named recovery.img rename it)
4. With Root Explorer, navigate to where the recovery is and copy it to /system/bin/ (remember to select mount as R/W first in order for it to copy.)
5. Open Terminal Emulator and enter the command "su" (without the quotes)
6. After that enter the command "flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img" (again without the quotes)
7. That's it, the recovery has been flashed. Reboot in recovery to confirm.
8. Once you've confirmed the recovery flashed properly remember to delete the recovery.img from /system/bin/ (using root explorer, and mount as R/W)

Method 2
I find this method much easier because you don't have to go through the trouble of installing drivers. Also you don't need to connect your device to your PC. Your device needs to be rooted though. If your device isn't rooted simply download z4root from the market and root it.

1. Download and install ROM Manager from the market.
(If you simply want to flash the latest working ClockworkMod Recovery and not an older version or UltraJack skip to step 6.)
2. Navigate to the folder /clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/ (create the folders if they are not already there)
3. Delete any files in that folder.
4. Download the recovery you want to use from the recovery links below. Unzip the file. Rename the "recovery.img" file to "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img". (See note below)
5. Copy the renamed "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img" into the recoveries folder (/clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/)
6. Open ROM Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It will bring up a list of devices, just scroll down until you find Huawei U8150 Ideos and select it.
7. ROM Manager will flash the recovery image for you and you're done.
Now you have a working recovery. To test select Reboot into Recovery from ROM Manager.

Since you are renaming the recoveries remember to keep track of which recovery is currently in the recoveries folder.

Note: recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img is the name of the latest ClockworkMod Recovery in rom manager at this time (28/04/2011). If it is updated and I haven't updated the thread, change the name of the recovery to the latest version.(i.e if the latest recovery is ClockworkMod 3.0.2.5, rename the img to recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.5-ideos.img instead of recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img)

Method 3

Installing Drivers
Windows 7:
Download and install PDANet. That should install the drivers for you.

Alternatively, you could download the drivers and install them manually. First download the drivers for your OS from here.
Drivers Windows 32-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
Drivers Windows 64-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
Connect your device(you don't need to turn on USB storage) then open device manager. Right click on your device and select properties, select the hardware tab and then select properties. Select the drivers tab, then select Reinstall/Update Driver. Choose the option (Browse my computer for driver software) and select the drivers you just downloaded. (Extract the zip file first)

MacOS

Linux
Follow this guide by bloodychaos to get ADB working.

Flashing Recovery
1. Once you have the drivers installed download the recovery of your choice from the links below.
2. Extract the zip file and open the folder.
3. Turn off your phone.
4. Connect your phone to your PC.
5. Reboot your phone in bootloader mode. (Turn it on while holding the Volume Down button and the End(Red) Key.)
6. Run the install-recovery file/script for your OS found in the extracted recovery folder.
7. Once it flashes your phone should reboot.
N/B If you have trouble with the drivers or any other problems try Method 1.
Now you have a working recovery. To test turn off your phone, then turn it on while holding the Volume Up Key and the Green(Call) Key.

Recovery Links

ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic)
Download Mediafire Multiupload XDA Thread
UltraJack 6.2.2 (by Ultrakiller)
ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK)
Download Mediafire Multiupload

Credits
marcnvidic, Ultrakiller, udK for making the recoveries. bloodychaos for the Linux ADB guide. Koush for ROM Manager. f1ng3r for pointing out the terminal emulator method.
All other Ideos devs who've helped me along the way because I picked up a lot of this info from random threads.

Last edited:

sayo9394

Nov 10, 2010
Sydney
No Huawei U8150 Ideos on the list of ClockWorkMod

6. Open ROM Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It will bring up a list of devices, just scroll down until you find Huawei U8150 Ideos and select it....

I've just downloaded Rom Manager Premium c4.2.0.2 (latest) from the market and i can't find the Huawei U8150 Ideos on the list of ClockWorkMod :(

Am i missing something? I copied the image file to the directory specified.

cheers,
Simon

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
I've just downloaded Rom Manager Premium c4.2.0.2 (latest) from the market and i can't find the Huawei U8150 Ideos on the list of ClockWorkMod :(

Am i missing something? I copied the image file to the directory specified.

cheers,
Simon

For some reason the ideos does not appear on the list, I have no idea why, you might have to try one of the other methods to flash a recovery.

sayo9394

Nov 10, 2010
Sydney
For some reason the ideos does not appear on the list, I have no idea why, you might have to try one of the other methods to flash a recovery.

Thanx for the quick reply, i ended up using method 3.

Just one thing about method 3, the batch file doesn't exist in the ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic) link as it's only an .img file. So i simply downloaded the ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK) zip file, and replaced the image with the newer 3.0.2.4 after unzipping it.

Thank you for the guide, i've successfully flashed clockworkmod, and backed up the phone. now all i have to do is choose a ROM.

which ROM do u suggest???

cheers,
Simon

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi

Just one thing about method 3, the batch file doesn't exist in the ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic) link as it's only an .img file. So i simply downloaded the ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK) zip file, and replaced the image with the newer 3.0.2.4 after unzipping it.

Thank you for the guide, i've successfully flashed clockworkmod, and backed up the phone. now all i have to do is choose a ROM.

cheers,
Simon

That was the official link from marcnvidic, the multipuload & mediafire mirrors should have the batch files. Anyway, for the rom I would suggest FUSIONideos or Dronix 0.4, there's a poll somewhere on this forum and those are the most popular, Gingerman V4 is also pretty good but I wouldn't suggest it as your first rom because its still relatively new and is still being improved so it isn't perfect as a daily use rom yet. I switch btw fusion & gingerman, but I can tell you fusion is pretty stable. One thing to note however, if you are not using gingerman or another cyanogenmod port, I would suggest using clockworkmod by udK as your recovery, cwm 3.0.2.4 has some issues making backups of other roms.

Reactions: sayo9394

sayo9394

Nov 10, 2010
Sydney
Mate, I'm loving this :)
So far i've flashed CM6.1 port, Fusion, and Dronix 0.4! hehe i'm addicted now! Right now i'm back to CM6.1, but will try Gingerman V4 soon :)

Thanx for your help mate, you're a champion.

EDIT: thought i'd explain why i'm on CM6.1. Reason being is that I even though i think Fusion is the better one so far, I can't seem to have a solid 3G connection.
I'm from Sydney Australia, and with Optus. The APN seems to be correct and all, but the phone keeps switching from 3G to H.

Last edited:

Xynche

May 29, 2011
I'm having a bit of trouble.

I was trying method 2 and clicked the wrong phone model. I went to change it but found that "Huawei IDEOS U8150" is not listed. Now I cannot access my recovery menu, and cannot install clockwork recovery. How would I fix this? I've been searching for hours and only found ways to remove it via the recovery menu.

Everything is functioning fine so it's not a big problem, I just can't get to the recovery menu/boot loader.

Also, I attempted method 1 because it doesn't involve the use of the recovery menu. It says, "flash_image: not found" when I type the command.

Nevermind, put about another hour into searching. Thank you so much for this guide it helped me alot.

Last edited:

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
I installed ROM Manager and pressed "Flash ClockworkMod Recovery".
It downloaded some files and flashed the Mod.
(I have my u8150 rooted using SuperOneClick)

Now it shows that my ClockworkMod Recovery version is 3.0.2.4
BUT the problem is that:

1>If I press reboot into recovery, the phone reboots and I end up staring at the IDEOS logo for ... like ever.

2>I pressed Backup Current ROM and after giving it a name (Stock ROM), I pressed OK and again the same result.

3> I found on the internet that to go into the recovery mode I need to press the SEND (green button) and the Volume UP together and then press Power.
I did it, even held the three buttons in the next try... but sadly every time the phone got stuck and I ended up looking at the IDEOS logo.

and the only way to get the phone working again was to take out the battery and press Power. (the phone itself is running fine)

PLz kindly help me out on this.. am I missing something??
Thnx

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
That means the recovery didn't flash correctly. Are u sure u selected the right phone from the rom manager list. Try flash recovery again. But first u need to delete everything in the clockworkmod/download directory on the sd card. Or if you know how to, just delete the recovery image in that folder.

Reactions: mShoaib

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
yes I selected the corret phone i.e. Huawei u8150 Ideos
i deleted everything in the clockworkmod/download directory on the sd card

re-flashed..
still the same problem

btw.. during flashing, twice I got a pop-up asking me to either "force close" or "wait" and I pressed "wait" both times.

P.S. I just noticed after removing the battery that it says the model of my phone is U8150-D. I wonder what the "D" stands for?

Last edited:

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
It shuld not be force closing. Maybe rom manager has a problem. Try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work I suggest trying one of the other methods to flash the recovery.

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
ok so ive just tried Method 1 and followed every step... and the funny thing is that when I enter the following command in terminal emulator:
flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img

.. it says
flash_image: not found

lol
now im downloading ultrajack

Update:
Ive tried Method 3:
and for 10 minutes now.. my command prompt is still showing this message:
< waiting for device >

:-(

Last edited:

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
For method 3 try running the bat file first then when it shows you the waiting for device message turn on the phone in bootloader mode.

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
just did as you said, i turned off the phone.. ran the bat file, when it said waiting for device I plugged in the phone (battery charging started), then I pressed power while holding Red and Volume Down...
the result is the same..
(the same was the result when running ultrajack)

>im just wondering... do I need to install any kernel or something before doing this??
>also I noticed that the CWM's recovery.img that I got from this forum is 3.94MB, while the one I downloaded through the Rom Manager was 3.71MB (on both tries).

P.S. how do I completely remove CWM and its files? so i can start the process fresh. I read at some forum that there is some file related to this called update.zip... whats that?

(Sorry for being a bother and thnx for your help)

UPDATE !!!

Its done... its finally done. Yattaaaaa!!!

ok so here is is what I did....
>I deleted everything in the clockworkmod folder like you once mentioned before.
>You said that while flashing I shouldn't be getting a pop-up that asks me to either force close or wait.
>So I had a hunch that the popup that appeared during the flashing might have been caused due to the screen timeout set at 30 sec (i mean a clash of two processes)
>So, i set the screen timeout to 30 minutes (hehe) and pressed Flash ClockworkMod Recovery from the Rom Manager.
>It flashed without any pop-ups and it successfully booted into recovery mode (and the first thing I did was to backup my phone)

Once again thnx for your support wachw.
... and if you don't mind can you help me with one more thing (if it's convenient for you)... plz guide me how to install multitouch for my phone provided here (coz nobody at that thread has been generous enough to guide me ;_; )
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1014183
[i have downloaded the multitouch patch and the complied kernel, plz guide me on what to do next. thnx :) ]

Last edited:
Reactions: Fahad khalid

wachw

Feb 3, 2011
Nairobi
Sorry about the delay, been busy, but, if you send me the link to your provider's rom I can make a multitouch version for you. Why don't you want to install a custom rom?

mShoaib

Apr 14, 2011
Reactions: Fahad khalid

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Many people seem to be having a lot of trouble flashing recoveries for their Ideos so I figured I would write this thread because I haven't found any other guides for flashing U8150 recoveries.

Method 1

1. Install Terminal Emulator from the market.
    2. Install Root Explorer from the market.
    3. Download the recovery of your choice and copy the recovery.img to your sd card. (if its not named recovery.img rename it)
    4. With Root Explorer, navigate to where the recovery is and copy it to /system/bin/ (remember to select mount as R/W first in order for it to copy.)
    5. Open Terminal Emulator and enter the command "su" (without the quotes)
    6. After that enter the command "flash_image recovery /system/bin/recovery.img" (again without the quotes)
    7. That's it, the recovery has been flashed. Reboot in recovery to confirm.
    8. Once you've confirmed the recovery flashed properly remember to delete the recovery.img from /system/bin/ (using root explorer, and mount as R/W)

Method 2
    I find this method much easier because you don't have to go through the trouble of installing drivers. Also you don't need to connect your device to your PC. Your device needs to be rooted though. If your device isn't rooted simply download z4root from the market and root it.

1. Download and install ROM Manager from the market.
    (If you simply want to flash the latest working ClockworkMod Recovery and not an older version or UltraJack skip to step 6.)
    2. Navigate to the folder /clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/ (create the folders if they are not already there)
    3. Delete any files in that folder.
    4. Download the recovery you want to use from the recovery links below. Unzip the file. Rename the "recovery.img" file to "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img". (See note below)
    5. Copy the renamed "recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img" into the recoveries folder (/clockworkmod/download/mirror.sea.tdrevolution.net/cm/recoveries/)
    6. Open ROM Manager and select Flash ClockworkMod Recovery. It will bring up a list of devices, just scroll down until you find Huawei U8150 Ideos and select it.
    7. ROM Manager will flash the recovery image for you and you're done.
    Now you have a working recovery. To test select Reboot into Recovery from ROM Manager.

Since you are renaming the recoveries remember to keep track of which recovery is currently in the recoveries folder.

Note: recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img is the name of the latest ClockworkMod Recovery in rom manager at this time (28/04/2011). If it is updated and I haven't updated the thread, change the name of the recovery to the latest version.(i.e if the latest recovery is ClockworkMod 3.0.2.5, rename the img to recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.5-ideos.img instead of recovery-clockwork-3.0.2.4-ideos.img)

Method 3

Installing Drivers
    Windows 7:

Alternatively, you could download the drivers and install them manually. First download the drivers for your OS from here.
    Drivers Windows 32-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
    Drivers Windows 64-Bit Mediafire Multiupload
    Connect your device(you don't need to turn on USB storage) then open device manager. Right click on your device and select properties, select the hardware tab and then select properties. Select the drivers tab, then select Reinstall/Update Driver. Choose the option (Browse my computer for driver software) and select the drivers you just downloaded. (Extract the zip file first)

MacOS

Linux
    Follow this guide by bloodychaos to get ADB working.

Flashing Recovery
    1. Once you have the drivers installed download the recovery of your choice from the links below.
    2. Extract the zip file and open the folder.
    3. Turn off your phone.
    4. Connect your phone to your PC.
    5. Reboot your phone in bootloader mode. (Turn it on while holding the Volume Down button and the End(Red) Key.)
    6. Run the install-recovery file/script for your OS found in the extracted recovery folder.
    7. Once it flashes your phone should reboot.
    N/B If you have trouble with the drivers or any other problems try Method 1.
    Now you have a working recovery. To test turn off your phone, then turn it on while holding the Volume Up Key and the Green(Call) Key.

Recovery Links

ClockworkMod 3.0.2.4 (by marcnvidic)
    UltraJack 6.2.2 (by Ultrakiller)
    ClockworkMod 3.0.1.(by udK)
    Download Mediafire Multiupload

Credits
    marcnvidic, Ultrakiller, udK for making the recoveries. bloodychaos for the Linux ADB guide. Koush for ROM Manager. f1ng3r for pointing out the terminal emulator method.
    All other Ideos devs who've helped me along the way because I picked up a lot of this info from random threads.

cheers,
    Simon

That was the official link from marcnvidic, the multipuload & mediafire mirrors should have the batch files. Anyway, for the rom I would suggest FUSIONideos or Dronix 0.4, there's a poll somewhere on this forum and those are the most popular, Gingerman V4 is also pretty good but I wouldn't suggest it as your first rom because its still relatively new and is still being improved so it isn't perfect as a daily use rom yet. I switch btw fusion & gingerman, but I can tell you fusion is pretty stable. One thing to note however, if you are not using gingerman or another cyanogenmod port, I would suggest using clockworkmod by udK as your recovery, cwm 3.0.2.4 has some issues making backups of other roms.
    That means the recovery didn't flash correctly. Are u sure u selected the right phone from the rom manager list. Try flash recovery again. But first u need to delete everything in the clockworkmod/download directory on the sd card. Or if you know how to, just delete the recovery image in that folder.
    It shuld not be force closing. Maybe rom manager has a problem. Try reinstalling it. If that doesn't work I suggest trying one of the other methods to flash the recovery.
    For method 3 try running the bat file first then when it shows you the waiting for device message turn on the phone in bootloader mode.