[ROM] [EL30] [MTD] [BML] CleanGB v1.1.2 (2012/02/13 )

Search This thread

toadlife

Inactive Recognized Developer
Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
UPDATE: Development on CleanGB is over. See this post.

To stop the update notifications from happening on this ROM, see this post.

CleanGB_LOGO.png

IMPORTANT: Please read this thread about MTD if you don't know what it is or means.

For those of us who just want our phones to $%#^@! work.

This is a clean EL30 based ROM with a custom Black theme. While much of the preloaded Sprint bloatware is removed, useful stock software like ThinkFree Office, MyFiles, Memo, Clock, and calculator are left in. Stability is the number one priority in this ROM. Those who are into bleeding edge/ricer ROMs may find this ROM boring.

Feature List:
  • Based on Samsung's Official EL30 Release
  • Deodexed
  • Custom EL30 kernel with the following features (most features taken from Rodderik's EI22 repo):
    • init.d script support
    • keyboard fixes
    • overclocking to 1.316Ghz (Steps: 100,200,400,600,800,1000,1128,1200,1316) (Thanks to dyehya for help on these!)
    • Voltage control
    • WIFI stability fix
    • CWM5 Support
    • bootanimation.zip support (None included by default. Place one into '/system/media' and it will play)
  • Yaffs2 file system (MTD Version)
  • RFS file system (BML Version)
  • ADW Launcher
  • Reboot and Reboot to CWM Recovery on the power menu (Thanks to untermensch for the excellent quide)
  • Hacked Sprint Hotspot (necrosan, Tortel1210, toadlife)
  • 1% battery (Icons by Mendozinas)
  • 3G/1x icon fix (SenseiSimple)
  • CRT Off
  • No battery popup
  • Screen stays off when unplugged
  • Volume rocker mod (sound on to vibrate to silent) (mkasick)
  • Silent Camera with no battery warning
  • Scrollable Status Toggles (lidroid, SensieSimple, toadlife
  • AOSP Lockscreen
  • Logsprovider fix (no messages in call logs)
Downloads:

MTD Version:

Full Version: CleanGB-MTD 1.1.2 (144MB) (MD5: E60DDEC4723D505BBC1ECCDA800DE0C8)
Incremental Update: CleanGB 1.1 to CleanGB 1.1.2 Incremental Update (3.6MB) (MD5: DF40BBA1FF1C3D08EC669915310DFC3A)
ROM Manager Web Connect Link: CleanGB-MTD 1.1.2
Kernel: CleanGB-MTD Kernel (6d33744cf2)
Kernel Source: https://github.com/toadlife/EL30-CleanGB-Kernel/tree/RELEASE-CleanGB-1.1

BML Version:

Full Version: CleanGB-1.1.2 (138MB) (MD5: 060C41E86FBF9D1F7ACD722E0B7DA7BA)
Kernel: CleanGB Kernel (6d33744cf2)
Kernel Source: https://github.com/toadlife/EL30-CleanGB-Kernel/tree/RELEASE-CleanGB-1.1

Boot into CWM and flash. Info on CWM

Optional Mods:

NOTE: These mods apply to BOTH the MTD and BML versions.

Touchwiz Lockscreen
AOSP Lockscreen (If you want to go back from the Touchwiz lockscreen)
GPS Fix (increases satellite locks from 2 to 10, presumably at the expense of battery usage)

If you like my ROM, buy me a beer!

Last edited:

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
FAQ:

Q: Why should I move to a MTD based ROM?
A: Cyanogen Mod for the Epic 4G, which is being worked on right now requires the MTD partition layout. Once you flash a MTD based ROM, the only way to go back to a stock ROM which uses Samsung proprietary BML partition layout, is with ODIN. This is a major inconvenience for many as ODIN is notoriously unreliable. You can move between MTD based ROMs without the use of ODIN.

Q: When moving from a BML to an MTD ROM can I use Nandroid backup to backup and restore my data?
A: Yes, but the process is a bit more involved (Thanks to Tortell1210 for this guide):

To restore data from a nandroid backup:
  1. Mount your sdcard as USB storage
  2. Navigate to clockworkmod/backups/<LAST BACKUP>/
  3. Rename system.rfs.tar to system.yaffs2.tar, data.rfs.tar to data.yaffs2.tar
  4. Open the nandroid.md5 file, replace all rfs in the filenames with yaffs2
  5. Save/close, unmount USB, and reboot into recovery
  6. Advanced restore data (And system if you really want). Only advanced restore, or else it will give you a BML kernel and recovery, which wont boot
  7. Reboot!

(If you were on ext4, just replace rfs with ext4)

If you want your previous Rom, advanced restore system too.​

Q: Where is the bootanimation.zip and how can I change the boot animation?
A: The stock boot animation is actually contained in the framework-res.apk file. If you want to use a custom boot animation, all you have to do is place your bootanimation.zip in the /system/media directory and it will play instead of the stock one.

Q: What about [insert feature here]?
A: See the todo list below

Bugs/Todo:

Change Log:

CleanGB-MTD 1.1.2

• Fixed USB tethering

CleanGB-MTD 1.1.1

• Fixed hotspot hack

CleanGB-MTD 1.1

• Updated system to EL30
  • Switched launcher to ADW
  • Updated to latest version of Superuser
  • Added Adobe Flash to the system
  • Removed 1400mhz frequency step in kernel
  • Bumped up voltage for 1.315Ghz frequency step a bit (dyehya reported stability issues)
  • Removed CRT-On animation (CRT-Off is still there)

CleanGB-MTD 1.0.5

• Fixed improper permissions set on su at bootup.
  • Overhaul of clock frequencies - 600,1100,1300 frequencies fixed. (thanks to dyehya for noticing this and teaching me how the frequencies work)
  • /sbin/remount script fixed
  • System app changes:
    • Updated Books
    • Updated Google Search
    • Updated Maps
    • Updated Thinkfree Office
    • Updated Market
    • Updated Street View
    • Updated Superuser
    • Updated Voice Search
    • Removed Talkback
  • Updated su binary to latest version
  • Integrated Logsprovider fix by default

CleanGB-MTD 1.0.4

• Kernel fixes
    • Proper support for reboot to recovery (mkasick)
    • ROM Manager MTD Support (see this)
  • "Non-Optimal" su permissions fixed Not fixed!
  • Reboot to recovery from power menu added back
  • Lockscreen changed to AOSP Lockscreen

CleanGB-MTD 1.0.3

• Fixed broken bootanimation.zip support
  • Kernel now checks for and installs root and busybox at bootup
  • Reboot to recovery from shell now works (Because of this, ROM Manager support is now possible)
  • Power menu mod enhancement: Reboot dialog and progress now show "Reboot", "Your phone will reboot", "Rebooting...", instead of "Power Off", "Your phone will shut down.", "Shutting down..." (source)

CleanGB-MTD 1.0.2

• Fixed broken GPS (see)

CleanGB-MTD 1.0.1

• Forked ROM into BML/MTD versions
  • Fix for power menu bug (see this)
  • Fixed init.d script support, which was broken (and no one ever noticed!)

CleanGB 1.0

• New kernel with capacitive button light fix
  • Scrollable Status bar toggles with 4G button

Build 18

• Removed broken talkback app from system

Build 17

• Improved kernel with stability fixes
  • Updated stock apps
    • Books
    • Gmail
    • Maps
    • Talkback
    • Market
    • Sprint Voice Mail
    • Youtube
  • Silent Camera
  • CRT On
  • Removed left over CIQ lib

Build 16

• ClockworkMod 5.x /ROM Manager Support

Build 15

• Changed theme to account for apps that put black text in dropdown menu items
  • Put back "MyFiles" app as multiple sprint apps rely on it
  • Restored ClockPackage that links to MyFiles

Build 14

• New Kernel - change to how ext4 partitions are mounted; will give you ext4 users those uber fast quadrant scores (that mean nothing).
  • Clock app was hard coded to use the "MyFiles" app (which is not in this ROM) to chose alarm tones. Hacked app to remove that feature.
  • Zipaligned apk files (yes, I forgot to do it) :eek:

Build 13

• Added Kernel that supports overclocking to 1.4Ghz and voltage changes (source is in first post)
  • Removed useless buddiesnow package
  • Fixed voicemail notifications (black text on black background)
  • Added ext4 version

Build 12

• Added 3g/1x icon fix (Screw you Sprint!)
  • Added all-black wallpaper to launcher's wallpaper picker to match default all black wallpaper
  • Added /system/etc/init.d directory for init.d script support
Build 0-11
  • I don't remember :D

Last edited:

sitnamzug132

Oct 11, 2010
Many thanks! I can't wait to give this a spin. Do you recommend upgrading to the modem to EL30? I've been hesitant to do so because feedback some users have been reporting it does more harm then good.

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
Many thanks! I can't wait to give this a spin. Do you recommend upgrading to the modem to EL30? I've been hesitant to do so because feedback some users have been reporting it does more harm then good.

I've never perceived a difference between any of the modems. I've been running EL30 since it first came out and my phone/data service has been fine.

Reactions: andsamp

BBlunts456

Oct 4, 2010
N. Bergen, NJ
Ive been debating on whether or not to make the switch from BML to MTD and would love to use this ROM. How do i go about getting on to MTD?
tia

toadlife

Aug 19, 2008
Lemoore, CA
Ive been debating on whether or not to make the switch from BML to MTD and would love to use this ROM. How do i go about getting on to MTD?
tia

All you have to do to move from BML to MTD is put it on your SD card and flash it in CWM. Keep in mind that it will wipe your data when it transitions you from BML to MTD.

Reactions: andsamp

bg4

Oct 4, 2010
Long Island NY
upgraded to GB 1.1 but shows as EI22

Baseband version S:700.0.5S.EI22

Kernel version 2.6.35.7-CleanGB-MTD-g6d33744

Build number Clean-MTD-1.1 (actually it must have been GleanGB-MTD Im trying a nandroid restore)

Last edited:

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    UPDATE: Development on CleanGB is over. See this post.

To stop the update notifications from happening on this ROM, see this post.

CleanGB_LOGO.png

IMPORTANT: Please read this thread about MTD if you don't know what it is or means.

For those of us who just want our phones to $%#^@! work.

This is a clean EL30 based ROM with a custom Black theme. While much of the preloaded Sprint bloatware is removed, useful stock software like ThinkFree Office, MyFiles, Memo, Clock, and calculator are left in. Stability is the number one priority in this ROM. Those who are into bleeding edge/ricer ROMs may find this ROM boring.

Feature List:
    • Based on Samsung's Official EL30 Release
    • Deodexed
    • Custom EL30 kernel with the following features (most features taken from Rodderik's EI22 repo):
      • init.d script support
      • keyboard fixes
      • overclocking to 1.316Ghz (Steps: 100,200,400,600,800,1000,1128,1200,1316) (Thanks to dyehya for help on these!)
      • Voltage control
      • WIFI stability fix
      • CWM5 Support
      • bootanimation.zip support (None included by default. Place one into '/system/media' and it will play)
    • Yaffs2 file system (MTD Version)
    • RFS file system (BML Version)
    • ADW Launcher
    • Reboot and Reboot to CWM Recovery on the power menu (Thanks to untermensch for the excellent quide)
    • Hacked Sprint Hotspot (necrosan, Tortel1210, toadlife)
    • 1% battery (Icons by Mendozinas)
    • 3G/1x icon fix (SenseiSimple)
    • CRT Off
    • No battery popup
    • Screen stays off when unplugged
    • Volume rocker mod (sound on to vibrate to silent) (mkasick)
    • Silent Camera with no battery warning
    • Scrollable Status Toggles (lidroid, SensieSimple, toadlife
    • AOSP Lockscreen
    • Logsprovider fix (no messages in call logs)
    Downloads:

MTD Version:

Full Version: CleanGB-MTD 1.1.2 (144MB) (MD5: E60DDEC4723D505BBC1ECCDA800DE0C8)
    Incremental Update: CleanGB 1.1 to CleanGB 1.1.2 Incremental Update (3.6MB) (MD5: DF40BBA1FF1C3D08EC669915310DFC3A)
    ROM Manager Web Connect Link: CleanGB-MTD 1.1.2
    Kernel: CleanGB-MTD Kernel (6d33744cf2)

BML Version:

Full Version: CleanGB-1.1.2 (138MB) (MD5: 060C41E86FBF9D1F7ACD722E0B7DA7BA)
    Kernel: CleanGB Kernel (6d33744cf2)

Boot into CWM and flash. Info on CWM

Optional Mods:

NOTE: These mods apply to BOTH the MTD and BML versions.

Touchwiz Lockscreen
    AOSP Lockscreen (If you want to go back from the Touchwiz lockscreen)
    GPS Fix (increases satellite locks from 2 to 10, presumably at the expense of battery usage)

If you like my ROM, buy me a beer!
    Hi all. I just dropped by to say hi and give an update.

I took a break in the spring because my wife was working on her masters thesis and needed help with the kids so she could work. She was not able to finish by June and had to re-enroll over summer.

Well she finally finished and graduated in August with distinction with a masters in English literature from Fresno State. :highfive:

We have four young kids (1.5,4,6 and 8) with two of them in school and our fifth is due in late October. As you might imagine with the kiddos in school and the baby coming soon, I don't really have time to develop an Android ROM anymore...and even if I wanted to, the USB port of my Epic is very flaky now, so I don't think I could if I wanted to.

Anyhow I hope you all enjoyed (or are still enjoying) the fruits of my labor. I'm still running CleanGB MTD 1.2 on my phone (with the build.prop hacked to prevent the update).

To those who sent me the kind emails in the last few months, thank you - you know who you are. If you PMed me or emailed me and I didn't answer, please don't take offense; I'm an introvert with poor manners. ;)
    I'm not gone. Just busy with life lately. The wife is working on her master's thesis right now and I've been spending 101% of my time supporting her. I haven't even looked into the new release yet.
    Here is the GPS Fix made to work with MTD. I removed a bunch of unneeded files from it; the only file that the GPS fix changes in /system/vendor/bin/gpsd. I just flashed it and confirmed that it does indeed increase the number of satelite locks from 2 to 10. I will be including this in the next release.

http://xda.toadlife.net/packages/EL30_GPS_FIX.zip