Other device and upgrading phone discussion

Search This thread

fix-this!

Apr 15, 2012
midwest
MOD EDIT NO SELLING/BUYING/TRADING ON XDA...SIGN IN TO SWAPPA WITH YOUR XDA LOGIN INFO

Last edited by a moderator:

teseme

Aug 14, 2010
Wait for Sailfish OS by Jolla. They will release a phone on May 2013 with Android app support, full multitasking. Everything works including hotspot, not need to purchase carrier hotspot plan.

I got my Note 2 from Tmobile but basic thing Android can't get right, like usb tethering on Mac OS X or accessing the sd card/phone storage while USB tethered to the phone. My Nokia n900 is 3.5 years old and still does it without a glitch.

When trying to read pdfs files on the phone/phone's sd card, Android has to make a local copy of the file on the computer hard drive. What a waste. Android sucks ;)

nviz22

Feb 16, 2012
Should I personally go from a S3 to the Note 2 or the S4 or just wait for another device?

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
I would go for the Note 2. The S4 is ok but it doesn't have the features the Note 2 has and the Note 2 has a better display.

The size of the screen really does make a difference as well. The S4 isn't much bigger then the S3 the Note 2 has imho the perfict size screen and you get the S-Pen its one of the most underrated things about the Note 2. You can do allot of awesome things with it.

The Note 3 should be a great phone as long as they don't use a pentile display like they did with the S3 and S4..

But why wait until the end of the year when you can get you're hands on the best device of this year. Once you get the Note 2 you will wonder why you waited so long.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 2

JesseMT4G

Aug 30, 2011
Youngstown
I am pretty sure the s4 has the better screen over our Note 2, but not a huge difference to the eye, just more so paper.

I was going to wait for the s4 or HTC One, but ended up getting the N2, coming from an s3.

Absolutely love the Note 2, from screen real estate to awesome battery life and the spen!

Hopefully some of the s4 stuff will be Ported over to our phones. No reason to go with the s4 really if so.

Probably rock this till a note4 comes out, lol!

Fancy pants Note ||:)

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
if our note 3 comes out and it is like how samsung upgraded the s4 then i would just skip it for note 4

I agree.

The S4 is not much of an upgrade. The only thing it's got going for it is it's 1080p screen. So people that hold there phone a few inches from there face will notice difference but it's pentile. So the screen on the S4 isn't that great in the first place. It's mainly minor software updates that come with 4.2.2 in the first place...

The Note 2 will remain to be Samsungs best phone until the Note 3. We just gotta hope they don't use a pentile display on the Note 3 like they did on the S3 and S4. I would rather see a nice Super LCD/IPS display on the next Note if they where going to use a pentile.

Or the same screen as the Note 2 in the Note 3. I just think it's crazy that people are buying the S4 when you can get an even better device with more features, The Note 2.

dandn0ten

Dec 18, 2012
Hungtinton Beach
I agree.

The S4 is not much of an upgrade. The only thing it's got going for it is it's 1080p screen. So people that hold there phone a few inches from there face will notice difference but it's pentile. So the screen on the S4 isn't that great in the first place. It's mainly minor software updates that come with 4.2.2 in the first place...

The Note 2 will remain to be Samsungs best phone until the Note 3. We just gotta hope they don't use a pentile display on the Note 3 like they did on the S3 and S4. I would rather see a nice Super LCD/IPS display on the next Note if they where going to use a pentile.

Or the same screen as the Note 2 in the Note 3. I just think it's crazy that people are buying the S4 when you can get an even better device with more features, The Note 2.

here is the theory that i think it might apply to ss series like s3 <=> note2 with bigger screen+ spen and so s4 <=> note3 + bigger screen + spen

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
Yeah that's why it's best to just get a Note 2 or wait for the Note 3.

Like the S3 was cool but the Note 2 blew it out of the water. Better software, camera, everything.

That's how it will prolly be with the Note 3, it will blow the S4 away. I mean if you really think about it the only major cool thing about the S4 is it's octa core cpu. Other then that the Note 2 is still a better phone. I'm not trying to bash the S4 because really without the S4 there wouldn't be any reason to make the Note 3 so much better. In all fairness, the S4 is a great phone. I just wouldn't buy one because the Note 2 is better.

I mean you know. The octa core cpu is great in the S4 and the fact that's saving 70% battery life. That's awesome. But you can't get that version in the US so that sucks for people that want the S4 and will have to settle with a quad.

I just really can't wait to see what they do with the Note 3. The Note 2 is a great phone but all this first month hype is over with the Note 2. So its the S4's time to take the S4 fanboy spotlight.

It's funny how iphone vs Android is but now it seems Android wants to fight Android. I was looking in the S4 thread and why all the hate on people that bought the HTC One, it's a great phone and it even has a better screen then the S4.

I guess Note 2 users are more chill, lol.

ncc1701k

Jul 15, 2012
It's funny how iphone vs Android is but now it seems Android wants to fight Android. I was looking in the S4 thread and why all the hate on people that bought the HTC One, it's a great phone and it even has a better screen then the S4.

That's spot on man.
HTC and Samsung have taken very different design philosophies recently, both hardware-wise and software-wise. HTC, as ridiculous as it sounds, is more of a copier of Apple's design than Samsung. Case in point - One has a completely metallic design, no removable bat, pop-pin sim slot, pretty minimalistic software UI (too simple IMO), totally form over function. Samsung on the other hand stayed true to its utilitarian design philosophy with removable bat and cover, plastic case, wireless charging pins, tons of custom software features (however gimmicky they may be), totally function over form.

That basically set the stage for an internal android flame war. People who preferred the One for its design are like apple fanboys, while people who preferred S4 for its function are like the "classic" android fanboys. They'll bash each all day about the greatness of their phone and the shortcoming of the other, it's something we are all to familiar with.

Don't get me wrong, I've owned a iphone, S3, Note2, and HTC One X and played with the new One for a couple of days, they are all great phones, but definitely very different.

For me, all these choices just get me completely torn. I wish I can just be a happy isheep and be content with whatever is fed me, but I can't. I want a HTC One chassis with a samsung style removable cover so I can do my touchstone wireless charging mods, a 1080p RGB stripe super AMOLED (death to the under-saturated IPS panels), CM10.1 with HTC's camera software, Note 2's monster battery somehow crammed into a 7mm frame, a octo-core chipset that's compatible with US basebands, and a still somewhat affordable price... one can dream right?

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
I'm thinking of picking up the S4. I feel like the Note 2 is just a little too big to use in a single hand for me. It's close, but I think 5" will be perfect for me. Plus, 1080p and the Snapdragon 600 don't hurt either.

Reactions: dntrodriguez

boodies

Mar 3, 2010
I'm thinking of picking up the S4. I feel like the Note 2 is just a little too big to use in a single hand for me. It's close, but I think 5" will be perfect for me. Plus, 1080p and the Snapdragon 600 don't hurt either.

After using my Note 2 for a while now, (since launch date on t-mo in oct) I wouldn't mind going 5 inches. But I dont think they're going to make a Note 3 or Note 4 at 5 inches so im kinda screwed. As long as the Note series doesn't get any bigger than it is now, dimension wise im getting another note series.

ncc1701k

Jul 15, 2012

If note is just "a little big", then I'm afraid S4 will be "a little small", as it's basically the exact same physical size as the S3 despite the screen being 0.3'' bigger.

That was my impression with S4 when I played with it though. Note 2 is quite large, but S4 was a significant step down. 1080p surely is nice, I couldn't feel any improvement in terms of UI speed from the snapdrogon (mostly cuz of TW's bloat, as I'm running CM10.1 on the note 2). Go to the store and give it try though, as everybody has different standards, you may feel differently.

dkotoric

Jun 29, 2007
Ankeny
If note is just "a little big", then I'm afraid S4 will be "a little small", as it's basically the exact same physical size as the S3 despite the screen being 0.3'' bigger.

That was my impression with S4 when I played with it though. Note 2 is quite large, but S4 was a significant step down. 1080p surely is nice, I couldn't feel any improvement in terms of UI speed from the snapdrogon (mostly cuz of TW's bloat, as I'm running CM10.1 on the note 2). Go to the store and give it try though, as everybody has different standards, you may feel differently.

Actually s4 feels smaller then gs3

Sent from my SGH-T889

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
Honest opinions. I have the HTC One and I'm not really liking it too much, but enough to keep it, should I trade it for the Note 2 or the S4. I've already had the Note 2 and loved it..

I was planning on getting a HTC One lol...so it isnt that good?

Sent From Land Of Ooo. Using a Jedi Mastered Note 2. :trooper:

"Where you think she at when she ain't with you?"...

Onemoa

Oct 1, 2010
Ewa Beach
I might get the Note 3 if it's crazy better then the Note 2.

I'm just looking forward to seeing all the new devices that come out this year.

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
I might get the Note 3 if it's crazy better then the Note 2.

I'm just looking forward to seeing all the new devices that come out this year.

That sounds like a good idea...lol going to wait also.

EternalAndroid

Dec 18, 2012
Denver
I was planning on getting a HTC One lol...so it isnt that good?

It's great it just didn't live up to the hype that everyone made it out to be. I won't be getting the S4 that's for sure. Would it be a good idea to pick up the Note 2 and wait for the third iteration or just stick with my One? Everyone feel free to chime in..

Reactions: Galaxysm

Galaxysm

Sep 9, 2012
Mission
It's great it just didn't live up to the hype that everyone made it out to be. I won't be getting the S4 that's for sure. Would it be a good idea to pick up the Note 2 and wait for the third iteration or just stick with my One? Everyone feel free to chime in..

Yeah been hearing its good and everything but yeah lol I need to feel it in my hands and everything. ...and I think keep the Htc one and wait for whats next lol. Maybe Note3 or Nexus 5. ^.^

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Why are people so disappointed in the Note 3? I think it is a good upgrade. I heard about upgrading the build quality, the cameras are always good on Samsung flagships, 3GB of RAM is the future, a 2.3 GHz processor is more than enough speed, and the screen is full HD. People cannot expect Samsung to reinvent the wheel each time a phone comes out. What do people want? A phone that charges up in 5 minutes, has x86 technology and can run Linux, Windows 64 Bit, and Android apps? Is it an upgrade from the Note II, yes. Is it worth it from the Note II to the Note III? That's up to the user. If you have enough money to do so, go ahead and upgrade. If you don't and want to stick with the Note II in a generational skip ( go with the Note 2 -> Note 4 -> Note 6) or just don't want to buy another phone for awhile, stick with your Note II. People should be happy either way. Both phones are tremendous. And they're also unique. The biggest knock I get from people about my Note II is the size of the screen, which doesn't even bother me at all. It makes me happy to be away from the crowd and I can do stuff the other masses cannot do(S-Pen and have a great battery, so charging my phone less and less, etc, etc.)
    Can it still possibly have a gmfinger print scanner

Sent from my SGH-T889 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

A while back I posted all the new features for the Note 3. A lot of people didn't believe me because I wouldn't post a picture of the device. I can assure you it does come with a fingerprint scanner built in the Home button.
    I don't think the Note III will be a disappointment. It is only a phone after all, and Samsung has to take certain things into consideration. An octa-core proc plus a 5.7" 1080p screen would most likely give it a battery life of 4 hours. As for the Snapdragon 800, it's the same processor in the LG G2, and CNET said that that phone was a 'speed demon' in terms of performance. I'm ok with that in the Note III. :)

Maybe it's because i'm coming from the original Note, but I am very excited to see what Samsung has in store for us on Wednesday.

As for the bands, since it's the flagship, both LTE and H+ should be available on all versions of the phone. But they might change the specific bands for Europe vs US.

The Note 3 is very good, so it turns out. Believe me I had my doubt's about it. As well as the S800 processor. But it turns out it's the better processor for pure power and it has a better GPU. The first Octa-Core was is better then the S600 as far as all around specs. It was faster, the power management was better and it's GPU was just as good or at least on the same level as the S600's.

But the new S800 is the best all around CPU now. It has great power, great power management and a great GPU. The 330 is a beast and the S800 has a "envelope tracker" so you will be able to use LTE in a much more efficient way. Qualcomm says it will bring as much as a 30% improvement in the battery life LTE consumes. So we can use LTE without the extra power draw we normally see.

That's going to give Note 3 user's that have the S800 much better overall battery life while on LTE. That along is something to be very happy about. I don't even use LTE on my Note 2 due to the reduced battery life I very much notice.

You will also notice better standby when not on LTE due to the S800's built in battery management and Androids own software updates on 4.3 has great tweaks that have added better multi-core support.

I'm not saying the Octa-Core Note 3 will not be a great device. I'm just excited about the S800. It's much better then the S600.

I just wish I could get one.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk 4
    Re: Off-topic other device and upgrading phone discussion

Wwwttttffffff happen D; omg!!!!

Sent From Land Of Ooo. Using a Jedi Mastered Note 2.
    I say wait til next year for all the new devices s5, note 4, etc. Take the $50 and return the III. That's what I'd do. GL

Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk 4

I don't get the $50 if I return it. Only if I swap it. Plus I'm losing out on the accessories as the boxes were thrown out. I'm on the JUMP program and will likely still be paying on the III. I can always swap in and continue paying forward with a new model.

I'm only 3 days in with the phone, though I'm thinking I'll just swap it. If the second one doesn't work, then I'll give up for now.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Xparent Skyblue Tapatalk 2