[Q] Stuck w/ Set Warranty Bit: Kernel & S4 Logo

Search This thread

dearastronomer

Feb 6, 2014
Hey folks,

One of the forum moderators pointed me at this thread ( http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2586586 ) as a suggestion to getting a ROM for my S4 that would alleviate the com.android.phone process crashes I had with other ROMS.

After flashing jfltespr_mk2_deodexed from micro-sd card through the Team Win recovery, my phone is now stuck at the Samsung Galaxy S4 logo screen with (Set Warranty Bit: Kernel) in the upper left.

Having looked through numerous threads on this issue, it seems there's a number of different remedies, from reflashing to simply powercycling.
There wasn't anything that was of much use in http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2527706 either.

I have odin, and can boot into Team Win Recovery, or download mode. Suggestions/tips/ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

daniel4653

Jul 10, 2010
Southern California
Seems like you already have Knox tripped. And those warnings are because Knox detected modified files on your phone at boot up. I would suggest to odinto stock MK2

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
Go to this post and download the full stock mk2 tar file. Once downloaded extract the tar file from the zip file and install it using Odin 3.09 for best results. This will bring your phone to full stock unrooted. This should fix your phone problems. It is best to start with a clean slate. If you are still getting the force closes, then something on your data partition is causing your problem and you will need to do a factory reset after installing the tar file.

After you are up and running with no errors then you can re root your phone. I like safe root. It is quick and easy. Just Google Safe Root for Sprint Galaxy S4 and you will find it.

If this doesn't fix your phone than it might be hardware related. Also, just to be sure, make sure you don't have the L720T version of our phone. Because if you do, that is your problem.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49213024

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD

dearastronomer

Feb 6, 2014
That thread has a huge KNOX warning. I was hoping to ditch the Sprint bloatware.
Am I interpreting things right that I'm basically screwed for non-stock ROM's now?

Also, I have an SPH-L720

On the download rom screen, it reports KNOX KERNEL LOCK as 0x0, KNOX WARRANTY VOID as 0d?

Go to this post and download the full stock mk2 tar file. Once downloaded extract the tar file from the zip file and install it using Odin 3.09 for best results. This will bring your phone to full stock unrooted. This should fix your phone problems. It is best to start with a clean slate. If you are still getting the force closes, then something on your data partition is causing your problem and you will need to do a factory reset after installing the tar file.

After you are up and running with no errors then you can re root your phone. I like safe root. It is quick and easy. Just Google Safe Root for Sprint Galaxy S4 and you will find it.

If this doesn't fix your phone than it might be hardware related. Also, just to be sure, make sure you don't have the L720T version of our phone. Because if you do, that is your problem.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=49213024

Sent from my icrap 2 using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:

leaderbuilder

That thread has a huge KNOX warning. I was hoping to ditch the Sprint bloatware.
Am I interpreting things right that I'm basically screwed for non-stock ROM's now?

Also, I have an SPH-L720

On the download rom screen, it reports KNOX KERNEL LOCK as 0x0, KNOX WARRANTY VOID as 0d?
You're not screwed for non stock ROMs, IF you don't mind tripping the knox 'counter'. If you follow @cruise350 advice you'll be back to Stock. then root (with SafeRoot maybe; search it's here or CF-Auto Root) you could then install a custom recovery (using GooManager or by Odining one), then flash away.
BUT you are going to trip the Knox counter by using a custom recovery.
Please spend a little (actually a lot) of time reading and understanding how things work on this phone and you'll really enjoy it and get the most out of it with as little frustration as possible.
Good luck

dearastronomer

Feb 6, 2014
From the advice in this thread I was able to get back to stock ROM w/ root (CF-Auto-Root). Thanks for the tips, and for being patient. ;)

I'm going to do some reading on Knox, because I'm getting conflicting reports on the ability to remove it.

You're not screwed for non stock ROMs, IF you don't mind tripping the knox 'counter'. If you follow @cruise350 advice you'll be back to Stock. then root (with SafeRoot maybe; search it's here or CF-Auto Root) you could then install a custom recovery (using GooManager or by Odining one), then flash away.
BUT you are going to trip the Knox counter by using a custom recovery.
Please spend a little (actually a lot) of time reading and understanding how things work on this phone and you'll really enjoy it and get the most out of it with as little frustration as possible.
Good luck

cruise350

Dec 11, 2007
Memphis, TN
I still can't figure out what the big deal is people have about knox. It does not effect you at all if it is tripped unless you plan on sending your phone to Samsung for warranty service. It does not prevent you from running custom roms, installing mods, or using your phone to its full functionality. It is a secure container program for corporations and government agencies that require more security for access to their networks and information. If your company is not requiring you to have a secure phone, than it means nothing. It is easily disabled or removed. The main difference in our phones after MJA firmware is Samsung made it so we can't downgrade the bootloader any more. This was so they could fully implement the knox container to prevent downgrading to older non knox bootloaders thus skirting the knox security. The warranty flag that it trips is the knox warranty flag, which purpose is to let your IT department know that you have tampered with your phone and can no longer be guaranteed to provide the secure container. It also lets Samsung know you have tampered with your phone which may violate your warranty.

Reactions: Invisighost

Darthlord064

Jul 24, 2018
Chicago
I still can't figure out what the big deal is people have about knox. It does not effect you at all if it is tripped unless you plan on sending your phone to Samsung for warranty service. It does not prevent you from running custom roms, installing mods, or using your phone to its full functionality. It is a secure container program for corporations and government agencies that require more security for access to their networks and information. If your company is not requiring you to have a secure phone, than it means nothing. It is easily disabled or removed. The main difference in our phones after MJA firmware is Samsung made it so we can't downgrade the bootloader any more. This was so they could fully implement the knox container to prevent downgrading to older non knox bootloaders thus skirting the knox security. The warranty flag that it trips is the knox warranty flag, which purpose is to let your IT department know that you have tampered with your phone and can no longer be guaranteed to provide the secure container. It also lets Samsung know you have tampered with your phone which may violate your warranty.
True but it lock the bootloader from what I’m hearing
Hence stopping the installation of custom roms

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.