Question about HD2 screen and digitizer change

Search This thread

bib*oops

Oct 15, 2009
The Eu-HD2 is soldered isnt it? This version, from the picture, is the pluged version....

Im not sure because if you change the display also the connector type could be irrelevant.

But if this is the screen from Tmous-HD2, i remember that it was a bit bigger? Is it just the housing or also the display?

=>
Dont buy before this is clear!

As we speak about combo(lcd +digitizer/touchscreen), I stated this very clear:
No matter what version of combo can be mounted on no matter what version of HD2 because geometrically they are the same and connector to motherboard is the same!
Just the housing&motherboard of the 2 versions of HD2 are different:
1. US version's housing is longer by 2,5mm.
2. motherboards are different in shape & hardware.
Howgh!

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
No matter what version of combo can be mounted on no matter what version of HD2 because geometrically they are the same and connector to motherboard is the same!
Howgh!

Thx for making this (very) clear :)
Learned something new here too.

I just wanted to make sure that you havent overlooked this.

Reactions: bib*oops

LexHammer

Sep 30, 2010
Thank you very much for your answers. I will buy it today and will tell you the result after about 2 weeks :)

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
Thank you very much for your answers. I will buy it today and will tell you the result after about 2 weeks :)

Practically its pretty easy. I remember the first time it took me about 2hours and as i did it a few days ago it was disassemble in less than 10 minutes.:D

Make sure when you use a knive or something to get the display/digitizer unit off the mainboard frame that you dont go too deep and cut some of the flex cables.

Not sure if i said before, but look if the buttons are flexing the digitzer cable. (under the end button).

If you find a solution to stop this, you can improve durability of the digitizer greatly.
Due to the flexing the cable can break and the wires get disconnected. So you get the well known end button behaviour that touchscreen isnt working anymore.

I for myself will try to put some glue under the flex cable and clue it at the display, so that its not pushing against the buttons... Maby that will help..

Maby this helps:

LexHammer

Sep 30, 2010
OK, thanks for the tips.
Is there a video for how to change the touch screen + digitizer (not only the digitizer) or its the same as the digitizer change, without the separation of the lcd and digitizer?

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
OK, thanks for the tips.
Is there a video for how to change the touch screen + digitizer (not only the digitizer) or its the same as the digitizer change, without the separation of the lcd and digitizer?

Its pretty much the same.

You take the screen an digitizer off the mainboard as one part. If you have a bundle just replace both at once.

Here are some good videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cL-jnUKufC4

I think you dont have to disassemble all these parts.

Generally you loosen the 4 screws, take out the mainboard with all parts,

dissconnect the cable from buttons and display and use a wire/flat tool to disconnect the screen from the cage where everything is glued on with double side tape.

then you reconnect cables from new screen, press it on the cage in perfect position with fresh tape, click cage in housing, 4 screws and done.

in the video you can skip 1:30-1:40,
loosen the mainboard screws
skip 1:45 -2:55
loosen the button connector
Skip then untill 4.44 thats the display connector.

If you skipped everything you cant lay it like in the video. But if you remove the display as shown later in the video there is a small gap that allows you to remove this cable.

You save much time by doing it this way. also i found it hard the first time to remove all parts, especially the rigid-flex board as its glued and never will fit perfectly again ;D

Its maby a bit trick to release the display cable and reconnect it between the gap but i would try.

ANOTHER HINT:
There are small glass parts that connect the sensors for light / proximity with the glass..

Dont loose them ;D

Last edited:
Reactions: LexHammer

robcodemax

Apr 15, 2008
I replaced my touch digitizer but the touch is still not working...?

any ideas why...????

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
I replaced my touch digitizer but the touch is still not working...?

any ideas why...????

Probably you´ve done it wrong?:confused:

No serious, if you had to solder, did you check if you didnt solder more connections together?

Did you use tape to isolate all the open connections?
The touchscreen presses on the metal housing(the cage) and shorts the contacts maby?

If you bent your cables to much while repairing you probably broke the wires.
Thats very hard to see and happend me too ... very upsetting.
====

Another tip:

Be very carefull with the flexible cables, as said their wires break very easily even if the cable is optically fine. You can use a multimeter and two needles to check them.

Be very carefull with the buttons, especially volume ones. Dont remove the black mylar(tape). There is only a peace of metal on to contacts that is held by a thin tape. If this falls of once you can forget to get them back together easily. => Need new rigid flex board too (~25€)...
=>Very problematic when you clip the button board in the housing it could happen you remove the tape accidentially at the corners. Be carefull.

dertester123

Oct 11, 2008
hey guys, sorry to bring up an old post but looking for some reassurance :) i have a EU hd2 and im looking at buying a combo job. is this the one for me? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=221058189049#ht_1316wt_1207

thanks guys!!

If you take a combo you can take them all.

Only if you change only the digitizer you have to watch if its soldered or plugged to the screen. The digizier and displaycable then go together in a new cable that is always the same.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    The Eu-HD2 is soldered isnt it? This version, from the picture, is the pluged version....

Im not sure because if you change the display also the connector type could be irrelevant.

But if this is the screen from Tmous-HD2, i remember that it was a bit bigger? Is it just the housing or also the display?

=>
    Dont buy before this is clear!

Howgh!
    I need some help with choosing the combo
    Which one should i take and why on one the second item there are those big cable-like things.
    N1 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-and-DIG...ccessories&hash=item43adebdc7d#ht_3076wt_1110

N2 - http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-lcd-Tou...ltDomain_0&hash=item3a67e44659#ht_2175wt_1344

Will i need to solder them together or they are already soldered (welded junction or whatever)
    Thank you!
    Both versions are OK, but I would choose the first one.
    There's no need for soldering(vers. 2): it's more like a packaging thing in order to get it mounted on chassis.
    OK, so lets do a round up, before i make the purcahse, so I'm sure i will make the right choice.
    I'm going to buy this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/LCD-and-DIG...ccessories&hash=item43adebdc7d#ht_3076wt_1110
    because its already assembled and much easier to use and IT WILL FIX on my EU version of the phone (Not US T-Mobile)

Only YES or NO will be enough :)

YES;)
    Howgh!

Thx for making this (very) clear :)
    Learned something new here too.

I just wanted to make sure that you havent overlooked this.
    OK, thanks for the tips.

Its pretty much the same.

You take the screen an digitizer off the mainboard as one part. If you have a bundle just replace both at once.

Here are some good videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=cL-jnUKufC4

I think you dont have to disassemble all these parts.

Generally you loosen the 4 screws, take out the mainboard with all parts,

dissconnect the cable from buttons and display and use a wire/flat tool to disconnect the screen from the cage where everything is glued on with double side tape.

then you reconnect cables from new screen, press it on the cage in perfect position with fresh tape, click cage in housing, 4 screws and done.

in the video you can skip 1:30-1:40,
    loosen the mainboard screws
    skip 1:45 -2:55
    loosen the button connector
    Skip then untill 4.44 thats the display connector.

If you skipped everything you cant lay it like in the video. But if you remove the display as shown later in the video there is a small gap that allows you to remove this cable.

You save much time by doing it this way. also i found it hard the first time to remove all parts, especially the rigid-flex board as its glued and never will fit perfectly again ;D

Its maby a bit trick to release the display cable and reconnect it between the gap but i would try.

ANOTHER HINT:
    There are small glass parts that connect the sensors for light / proximity with the glass..

Dont loose them ;D