[Q] ALLCAST by Koush mirroring?

Search This thread

dmm5157

Dec 1, 2008
I've had a Chromecast since the device was launched and mirroring was really the one thing I wished that device did. I find that streaming from my phone or tablet to be slow on that, overall, so I was intrigued with the Amazon Fire TV launched and Koush was able to get mirroring to work with very little latency. He praised the Fire TV for being having better streaming quality and capabilities than Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV, when streaming media from Android devices.

I then saw the YouTube video him using the mirroring features from the app AllCast on his Amazon TV and it looked flawless. He advertised that mirroring was available via the app, but I haven't actually run across anyone that has been able to get this to work using his apps. On top of that, I've had problems with my phone (HTC One) or tablet (Nexus 7 1st Gen) recognizing my Fire TV when connected through my Comcast router. It seems to work via my Amped Wireless Router, but not Comcast, for whatever reason.

Next, streaming seems very poor overall. buffering times are no better than what I was getting with my Chromecast using the AllCast app.

Has anyone had better luck with AllCast and their Fire TV? Has anyone gotten mirroring to work? If so, how?

I've been posting on the Google+ page here and have not had any luck.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/cbwdhJvg2vk

2fastkuztoms

Jul 5, 2010
I've had a Chromecast since the device was launched and mirroring was really the one thing I wished that device did. I find that streaming from my phone or tablet to be slow on that, overall, so I was intrigued with the Amazon Fire TV launched and Koush was able to get mirroring to work with very little latency. He praised the Fire TV for being having better streaming quality and capabilities than Chromecast, Roku, or Apple TV, when streaming media from Android devices.

I then saw the YouTube video him using the mirroring features from the app AllCast on his Amazon TV and it looked flawless. He advertised that mirroring was available via the app, but I haven't actually run across anyone that has been able to get this to work using his apps. On top of that, I've had problems with my phone (HTC One) or tablet (Nexus 7 1st Gen) recognizing my Fire TV when connected through my Comcast router. It seems to work via my Amped Wireless Router, but not Comcast, for whatever reason.

Next, streaming seems very poor overall. buffering times are no better than what I was getting with my Chromecast using the AllCast app.

Has anyone had better luck with AllCast and their Fire TV? Has anyone gotten mirroring to work? If so, how?

I've been posting on the Google+ page here and have not had any luck.

https://plus.google.com/110558071969009568835/posts/cbwdhJvg2vk

For me it worked right at least sending videos and photos, the connection between my nexus 5 and FTV was quick, but I didn't try the mirror. I'm using for router an asus rt-ac66u and is coneccted wired.

Sean09

May 6, 2008
It doesn't work very well for higher quality/HD video streaming - buffer and lag issues. It is good for photos and whatnot though. Using my S4 and the Fire.

dmm5157

Dec 1, 2008
For me it worked right at least sending videos and photos, the connection between my nexus 5 and FTV was quick, but I didn't try the mirror. I'm using for router an asus rt-ac66u and is coneccted wired.

I had some major issues when I first got it. Was visiting my in-laws this weekend and bought the Amazon Fire TV to be able to share pictures and videos of our baby with family. I spent 2 hours trying to get my AllCast to recognize the Amazon Fire TV and Allcast app on the device, no luck. didn't work with my Nexus 7 as well. I ended up resorting to uploading my pictures to Amazon Cloud Drive and showed the pictures/vidoes that way. The buffering time was horrible for videos, though.

When we finally got home Sunday night, I tried it on our TV and noticed I had the same issue when connecting to my Comcast router (same one my MIL has at her house). Luckily I have a separate router I use as a Wifi extender, so was able to get it to recognize my Fire TV with that connection.

Overall, I haven't been very impressed with the Fire TV, as compared to my Roku, Chromecast, or my dad's Apple TV. The one "must have" feature I wanted that this one seemed to have, as well as the apps and other features, was mirroring Android. If I'm not able to get that to work similar to how Koush was able to in his YouTube video, I'll probably pack it up and take it back to Best Buy for a return. Bummer, because it is a nice device, just already have too many other devices that do the same thing.

ETFoneHome

Jun 11, 2012
The AllCast app is finally available on Amazon Appstore (with the optional premium in app purchase) to work with AllCast for Fire TV app. Finally I can use my Amazon coins for something other than games!

AllCast and Amazon's version of Youtube have the ability to cast from Android devices to the Fire TV, just like Chromecast. They work great!