No ICS for Droid Charge

Search This thread

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
Just because those are the devices currently slated to receive the update doesn't mean they will be the only devices. Don't get your panties in a twist just yet.

Sent from my Charge running TweakStock v1.1, V6 Supercharged using XDA App

GreenMunky

Jul 21, 2010
Houston, TX
The first sentence AFTER the list: "We will continue to update this list as additional details become available throughout the year." So Verizon even clearly states that this isn't a final list.

Sent from my Charge running TweakStock v1.1, V6 Supercharged using XDA App

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
I didn't research all these phones to find out but...

Do they all have more ram than 512MB? That might be the limitation for the charge.

Edit: I researched the devices. They all have at least 768MB ram. That's probably why the Droid 3 isn't getting it either.

Sent from my SCH-I510 using xda premium

Last edited:
Reactions: quarky42

DKYang

Mar 19, 2009
That does suck, but I've given up hope on any OEM ICS support for this phone. Just going to wait patiently for the next "godly" phone to come out this year.

imnuts

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jul 27, 2007
West Chester
www.imnuts.org

Do they all have more ram than 512MB? That might be the limitation for the charge.

Edit: I researched the devices. They all have at least 768MB ram. That's probably why the Droid 3 isn't getting it either.

The issue is more likely to be not enough space on /system for all the crap VZW wants to add in. The Nexus S has 512MB of RAM and it runs ICS just fine.

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
The issue is more likely to be not enough space on /system for all the crap VZW wants to add in. The Nexus S has 512MB of RAM and it runs ICS just fine.

I agree with all you started above till the last sentence.

Correct me if I'm wrong-
I've seen the update came out for Nexus S, was retracted and now owners are still waiting for the official release. A debloated ROM will probably run just fine on Charge, which you touched on in your previous post. That being said "Officially" I don't believe the charge will see ICS. I'm sure with your help along with JT and others, we will have it.

Last edited:

lpt2569

Nov 22, 2011
The ICS ROMS are running smoothly for the most part on the Fascinate (I have been running ICS on my Fascinate for a couple months now, but picked up a Charge for pennies on eBay), can't be too long before we see something similar for the Charge, right?

Hindle1225

Jun 18, 2010
The ICS ROMS are running smoothly for the most part on the Fascinate (I have been running ICS on my Fascinate for a couple months now, but picked up a Charge for pennies on eBay), can't be too long before we see something similar for the Charge, right?

Hopefully not. Just waiting on the ril.

Reactions: lpt2569

cmdrfrog

May 23, 2011
The RIL, and bluetooth doesnt work right, and Camera, (not complaining, just being realistic that there are more hurdles until its a viable daily driver). I dont know, I have ICS on my tablet and Eclipse Rom on Charge 'feels' just as good in regular activities. Id like ICS but i cant say that itd be a game changer.

lpt2569

Nov 22, 2011
The RIL, and bluetooth doesnt work right, and Camera, (not complaining, just being realistic that there are more hurdles until its a viable daily driver). I dont know, I have ICS on my tablet and Eclipse Rom on Charge 'feels' just as good in regular activities. Id like ICS but i cant say that itd be a game changer.

I have to admit, Eclipse and PBJ Kernal on the Charge is mighty nice. ICS on my Fascinate is mighty nice as well. Can't say which I like better. So I guess that means I agree, ICS is not really a game changer for me either. I just like the idea of being on the latest version of the OS so no one can say they have something newer than I do! :p

thatkidmatt

Oct 17, 2010
I just flashed jt's latest CM9 build and sheesh it looks beautiful. I hope he finishes soon, I am so jealous of my friend running ICS on his original DInc.

In regards to Verizon's upgrade list here; even though it isn't complete, I think it is ridiculous that carriers aren't more worried about getting their phones upgraded. I recognize that the manufacturers do the development, but you'd think that the carriers would try to light a fire under their ass.

Furthermore, I am rather upset that Verizon hasn't said anything about getting an HTC One phone.

bengrulz

Jun 14, 2008
The first sentence AFTER the list: "We will continue to update this list as additional details become available throughout the year." So Verizon even clearly states that this isn't a final list.

Man I would love to be that optimistic. Unfortunately, I would bet cash money that even if they were to eventually upgrade the Charge to ICS, it wouldn't be until 4Q 2012 or later. In fact, I would be downright shocked if any of the phones they listed get ICS before 3Q.

By then, Jelly Bean will be just around the corner and ICS won't be enough anyway ;)

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    I think it will get ICS, one way or another :p

Hopefully not. Just waiting on the ril.

I have heard from more than one person that Samsung has internal ICS builds for the Charge. I don't see them working on builds internally if there are no plans to upgrade the phone. Just look at the Continuum, it had internal builds of Froyo and it got updated, though it was about 8 months after every other Galaxy S phone got updated. Odds are, they will just roll out ICS to fix problems rather than working on fixing stuff in GB in the next update.
    They are also supposedly adding some ICS features to the original galaxy S line like face unlock and a new camera app so maybe we are getting that too...

Wasn't that "value pack" denied by Samsung a while back?