EDIT: Oneplus One can never support FM, see final post. Was: SpiritFM on Oneplus One

Status
Not open for further replies.
Search This thread

Arrjaan

May 5, 2014
Utrecht
https://github.com/franciscofranco/one_plus_one/blob/cm-11.0/arch/arm/configs/franco_defconfig

I think this is the config file that needs to be changed.
Can someone modify this to make changes as suggested and check?
I dont know how to build a kernel and moreover, dont have my OnePlus One yet in my hands :(

The file says DO NOT EDIT in the first line.. So I doubt we need to edit that one. But I'm not good with kernels either.
We could start a bounty to get FM done for OnePlus One, what would you think of that?

mikereidis

Inactive Recognized Developer
Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
The file says DO NOT EDIT in the first line.. So I doubt we need to edit that one. But I'm not good with kernels either.
We could start a bounty to get FM done for OnePlus One, what would you think of that?

IMO The probability this phone CAN support FM is very low.

It costs a penny or two to add the parts to hook FM/combo chip FM antenna pin to the wired headset connection.

If the spec does not include "FM", most companies will not pay that extra penny or 2.

If there was one variant that needed FM, chances are higher, but the holes can be left in the PCB without filling them with capacitor and coil or 2 or whatever else.

Is their NOBODY at CM/O+o/OPO who can say definitively, or who can take a few seconds to change a config file before building a kernel they need to build anyway ?

And nobody in the community who can take a few hours to learn basic kernel building ?

Arrjaan

May 5, 2014
Utrecht
IMO The probability this phone CAN support FM is very low.

It costs a penny or two to add the parts to hook FM/combo chip FM antenna pin to the wired headset connection.

If the spec does not include "FM", most companies will not pay that extra penny or 2.

If there was one variant that needed FM, chances are higher, but the holes can be left in the PCB without filling them with capacitor and coil or 2 or whatever else.

Is their NOBODY at CM/O+o/OPO who can say definitively, or who can take a few seconds to change a config file before building a kernel they need to build anyway ?

And nobody in the community who can take a few hours to learn basic kernel building ?

So, I've been trying stuff. I've found a kernel with module support, but it misses the module that is needed for FM (the radio-iris-transport.ko one). Seems that did not build yet. I will try to find community members, but most seem to have lost hope.

Code:
u0@A0001:/ $ lsmod
u0@A0001:/ ls /proc/modules
/proc/modules
2|u0@A0001:/ ls -l /system/lib/modules
-rw-r--r-- root    root    4101128 2008-08-01 14:00 cifs.ko
-rw-r--r-- root    root    29283   2008-08-01 14:00 scsi_wait_scan.ko

EDIT: Seems that AK has tried to integrate the FM module. He did not succeed. I guess that will end the search for FM support.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55170700&postcount=1665

Last edited:

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
EDIT: Seems that AK has tried to integrate the FM module. He did not succeed. I guess that will end the search for FM support.

http://xdaforums.com/showpost.php?p=55170700&postcount=1665

That post was from August.

I do not know exactly what he did, but IMO the only way to prove/disprove is to get the Qualcomm open source FM app, or any of my Spirit apps "working" or at least seeming to work, with no errors, and then...

It will be disproven (IE FM is impossible) if ALL of the following are true:

- Wired headset is plugged in for antenna.
- RSSI signal strength at top left is negative or around 0 when tuned to a known strong station.
- No RDS information is shown.
- Seek just runs through the band and doesn't stop at all or doesn't stop until it wraps around.
- You try the above using Spirit1 with Menu-> Settings-> Debug-> QCom Antenna set to "External" and restart Spirit1. Then try again with it set to "Internal" and restart Spirit1 again.

After testing, send me a debug log from Spirit1 to confirm. Tap the frequency button, enter the number 7 and tap "OK". After 20 seconds or so, press Send from your email client.

Arrjaan

May 5, 2014
Utrecht

I do not know exactly what he did, but IMO the only way to prove/disprove is to get the Qualcomm open source FM app, or any of my Spirit apps "working" or at least seeming to work, with no errors, and then...

- RSSI signal strength at top left is negative or around 0 when tuned to a known strong station.
- Seek just runs through the band and doesn't stop at all or doesn't stop until it wraps around.
- You try the above using Spirit1 with Menu-> Settings-> Debug-> QCom Antenna set to "External" and restart Spirit1. Then try again with it set to "Internal" and restart Spirit1 again.

After testing, send me a debug log from Spirit1 to confirm. Tap the frequency button, enter the number 7 and tap "OK". After 20 seconds or so, press Send from your email client.

After some hours of figuring out, I've managed to build the modified kernel. For everyone that wants to test as well, it's over here [source]. I enabled the FM module:

Code:
root@A0001 :/ # lsmod
root@A0001 :/ # insmod /system/lib/modules/radio-iris-transport.ko
radio_iris_transport 4267 0 - Live 0x0000000

I got a constant signal strength of zero, while being in my room with my FM radio at home turned on. I've send you the log to confirm.

Last edited:

mikereidis

Jan 28, 2011
Ottawa/Gatineau, Canada
After some hours of figuring out, I've managed to build the modified kernel. For everyone that wants to test as well, it's over here [source]. I enabled the FM module:

Code:
I got a constant signal strength of zero, while being in my room with my FM radio at home turned on. I've send you the log to confirm.

Thanks.

I can confirm from the debug log that everything APPEARS to work, except that RSSI is always 0.

Changing Debug->QCom Antenna changed nothing.

So, as far as I am concerned, the FM antenna pins are both grounded which renders FM capability in the Qualcomm FM/combo chip useless. :(

I am closing this thread because there is nothing more to say unless by some miracle we find some hidden magic antenna switch, or we find that it uses an FM-disabling firmware that can be changed.

Please post any further queries in the general thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059296

Anything is possible, but I officially give up at this point.

Please feel free to ask the OnePlus One people why FM was not provided as originally promised, and if future devices will support FM.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Code:

Thanks.

I can confirm from the debug log that everything APPEARS to work, except that RSSI is always 0.

Changing Debug->QCom Antenna changed nothing.

So, as far as I am concerned, the FM antenna pins are both grounded which renders FM capability in the Qualcomm FM/combo chip useless. :(

I am closing this thread because there is nothing more to say unless by some miracle we find some hidden magic antenna switch, or we find that it uses an FM-disabling firmware that can be changed.

Please post any further queries in the general thread: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=1059296

Anything is possible, but I officially give up at this point.

Please feel free to ask the OnePlus One people why FM was not provided as originally promised, and if future devices will support FM.

Code:

This is a topic to talk about a possible support of SpiritFm to Oneplus One...
    How is the situation? Can we aspire to have RadioFM?

No, I don't think 1+1 is FM capable because I think the CM folk would have said something positive about FM by now, and similar Oppo devices would also have FM.

First step to test further than people have already is to load a kernel that supports the Qualcomm V4L Iris FM driver. The stock kernel does not support it.

At this point, Spirit1 should start without error.

Then, we can see if RSSI at top left of Spirit1 is over 10-20 when tuned to a good station, while a wired headset is plugged in to act as the antenna.

Next post is copied from Spirit1 main/general thread.
    very interesting topic I read different things one says it has FM radio but the other say it hasnt. I hope theres a genius could enable this awesome featute on this phone!

EVERY phone has an FM/BT/WiFi combination chip.

Only a minority of phones has the FM antenna pin connected to the wired headset. The rest ground the antenna pin which means FM can never be made to work, unless you want to spend thousands of dollars for a custom mod to the phone. (LOL.)

This is one reason why there is often confusion about whether phones "have FM". They all have the hardware chip. Most don't have the needed connection.