Note 3 KitKat update has completely broken notifications.

Search This thread

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
Obviously Samsung weren't happy with their efforts to launch this device with a broken email app. They've gone one step further and broken all push notification support in 4.4.

No longer do I receive email notifications, app notifications, or pretty much anything else.

I have to unlock the phone before I'm told that I had an important meeting an hour ago which had a reminder set 30 mind before. Nor will I receive those stupidly funny pictures of cats with bread crusts on their heads on time.

But it's OK, because calls and texts still work just fine. Who needs important emails as long as you have that text telling you to pick up milk the second it comes through.

There must be laws somewhere to protect us against this stuff. Samsung are shocking.

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
I would suggest doing a factory reset. I have none of these issues. I have multiple email accounts and calendar reminders that never fail to go off unless the battery is dead. Both the first 4.4.2 and the current build (which is much cleaner in general performance btw).

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Reactions: istrikerx

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
I would suggest doing a factory reset. I have none of these issues. I have multiple email accounts and calendar reminders that never fail to go off unless the battery is dead. Both the first 4.4.2 and the current build (which is much cleaner in general performance btw).

I've done 5 factory resets in the last 2 weeks.

Notifications SOMETIMES work for the first 2 days, before they stop altogether.

Doesn't matter if I have a clean start with no apps installed, having all the bloatware disabled, etc. It always breaks.

I've tried just using the normal battery cover as opposed to the Samsung Flip cover, makes no difference at all.

I've also noticed that Cell Standby is top of battery usage regardless of what I do. Tested different batteries, sim cards, forcing 2G/3G instead of LTE, etc, also with no luck. The battery reporting is also way off too. 100% to 50% drains stupidly slow, then after 50% it craters to 0% within hours. Again, doesnt matter which battery I use (all official batteries btw). Wiped everything via recovery, nothing works.

Am I just one of the victims of 4.4.2? Because I'm starting to think the phone itself is broken.

Also worth mentioning that its only a few weeks old, so 4.3 hasnt been tested, and now obviously I can't go back due to the bootloader update.

My note 2 runs beautifully on both 4.3 and 4.4 :(

arcanexvi

Aug 22, 2010
Hoffman Estates, IL
I would take your reset one step further and flash the current firmware via Odin. The factory flash you have might be corrupt. Not likely but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it.

Reactions: istrikerx

BarryH_GEG

Jan 16, 2009
Spokane, Washington
Whatever your situation is it's your situation. I've been on 4.4 since a leak was released in January and haven't had any of the issues you're describing. The Gear is dependent on device notifications for its feed so its forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree if what you're describing were common. I can't imagine it's h/w related because there's no specific component that would touch the things affecting you. From what you said, I'm assuming your device is receiving whatever's supposed to trigger the notification but you're not being alerted when it arrives/occurs. That sounds like an app conflict or problem in settings.

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
Whatever your situation is it's your situation. I've been on 4.4 since a leak was released in January and haven't had any of the issues you're describing. The Gear is dependent on device notifications for its feed so its forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree if what you're describing were common. I can't imagine it's h/w related because there's no specific component that would touch the things affecting you. From what you said, I'm assuming your device is receiving whatever's supposed to trigger the notification but you're not being alerted when it arrives/occurs. That sounds like an app conflict or problem in settings.

Strangely enough, notifications work fine when paired with the Galaxy Gear I got free with it. I just rarely use it due to the nature of my workplace.

I probably should have added, the notifications only come through a few seconds after the phone is unlocked. You can visibly see the phone begin to access the network via the icon, and once it downloads, notifications pop.

And worth mentioning that this happens regardless of wifi access point, and on both 2G/3G and on LTE.

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
I would take your reset one step further and flash the current firmware via Odin. The factory flash you have might be corrupt. Not likely but it wouldn't be the first time I've seen it.

I'll give that a go thanks.

I know you say it's unlikely, but I've tried for hours to find people that have the same issues as me, with no luck. Here's hoping it's just one of those rare cases.

Atomix86

Jul 5, 2011
Mine doesn't do this. In fact mine is the opposite, it checks my email more often than what I set it to, kind of annoying.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using XDA Free mobile app

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2760935

I posted the firmware a week or so ago. That's the build that was just released.

Thanks but I'm running the international version.

Decided to bite the bullet and use the latest NE3/NE4 update from Asia, as a few people have reported it to be fine for the n9005 model it was intended for. I can always flash back later.

Will update in due course if anything helps my situation.

mm_alhashmi

Mar 6, 2014
I had the same problem with WhatsApp notification
And I figured out that was happening because I hibernated google play store app

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
Just a quick message to say that the NE3 build seems to have fixed my cell standby issue, but ofcourse this is more than likely down to the full odin flash.

Hopefully it stays that way. Will test notifications during my work day tomorrow.

Yet another thing I forgot to add. Notifications have always worked properly when there is music playing to an external device. I assume this is down to the fact that the phone is always awake, and not in deep sleep like it normally is.

Android system and Android OS are both firmly back at the top of my battery usage as per the 4.4.2 norm. Strangely though I can't get the screen usage up at all.

fookea

Mar 20, 2013
weird. I have had 0 problems with NE3. Are you sure that you didn't greenify \ deactivate \appops stuff you shouldn't ?

i would love to have cell standby up on top as opposed to Android OS \ Android system though i did see a big leap in standby battery life comming to NE3 from ND3 and they were still on top.

Strangely enough, notifications work fine when paired with the Galaxy Gear I got free with it. I just rarely use it due to the nature of my workplace.

I probably should have added, the notifications only come through a few seconds after the phone is unlocked. You can visibly see the phone begin to access the network via the icon, and once it downloads, notifications pop.

And worth mentioning that this happens regardless of wifi access point, and on both 2G/3G and on LTE.

Sounds like background data is off.

qydyju9a.jpg

Sent from my leanKernel 2.5.1 powered stock 4.4.2 (NE6) SM-N900T

istrikerx

May 29, 2014
weird. I have had 0 problems with NE3. Are you sure that you didn't greenify \ deactivate \appops stuff you shouldn't ?

i would love to have cell standby up on top as opposed to Android OS \ Android system though i did see a big leap in standby battery life comming to NE3 from ND3 and they were still on top.

NE3 seems to be significantly better than the ND6 build I was originally on. I can't judge battery life as ND6 was completely broken where tracking battery health, charge, etc was concerned. But I will say that it seems much more accurate.

So far notifications are working flawlessly while I have my flip cover installed. Hopefully it lasts.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.