Airplane mode and notifications

Search This thread

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009
OK, this issue has been driving me nuts. I work in a metal building pretty far away from a Verizon tower, as soon as I walk into the building I have no service on my phone. I just put my phone in airplane mode, then re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth to save battery. Since I've gotten the M8, I have missed countless hangouts messages, emails, etc... Nothing comes through unless I open up the app on the phone. I've tried different ROM's, and it does it on every one of them (I'm back to stock now). Does anyone else have this problem, its usually after I let my phone go idle for a few minutes and then it's like it stops polling Google's push services.

Sent from my HTC6525LVW using Tapatalk

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator
OK, this issue has been driving me nuts. I work in a metal building pretty far away from a Verizon tower, as soon as I walk into the building I have no service on my phone. I just put my phone in airplane mode, then re-enable the WiFi and Bluetooth to save battery. Since I've gotten the M8, I have missed countless hangouts messages, emails, etc... Nothing comes through unless I open up the app on the phone. I've tried different ROM's, and it does it on every one of them (I'm back to stock now). Does anyone else have this problem, its usually after I let my phone go idle for a few minutes and then it's like it stops polling Google's push services.

Do have WiFi set to turn off when sleeping under WiFi advanced settings ?

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks, but no that was the first thing I checked.

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009
Thanks for trying. Yesterday I swapped my Sim over to my Moto X and took it into work, unfortunately for me it looks like the work network is the culprit. Weird but apparently a new router was put in place around the same time I got the HTC M8. Now to try and figure out how to get it back working.

dottat

Retired Forum Moderator

bwhite757

Dec 20, 2009

Nope, this appears to be router related. I brought in my router from home, hooked it up to the network, and viola, notifications work just fine. I work at a small business, they just have 1 wireless router for the entire building hooked directly to the cable modem, then from the router to the main network switch (not a complex system at work here). It's a TP-Link router, and I've looked at the configuration and there's nothing that should be blocking the push notifications. Just makes no sense to me. I've been googling for hours, but haven't come up with a fix.

robocuff

Jul 23, 2011
Nope, this appears to be router related. I brought in my router from home, hooked it up to the network, and viola, notifications work just fine.
Seems to me that's what the article linked to is saying. That is it router related. Did you click the link toward the end of the article and read the OP in the thread it links to? There's an alternative fix besides checking the settings in the router. Did you try it?
-
The router causing problems in that thread is also a TP-Link router and the OP was able to fix it. Maybe I'm way off base here but in case you didn't see the link toward the bottom of the article, I thought I'd bring your attention to it. Just in case you missed it, here's the link. http://xdaforums.com/android/software-hacking/howto-wifi-drop-caused-sign-to-wifi-t2862509?__utma=248941774.1068401655.1409802628.1409802628.1409889785.2&__utmb=248941774.1.10.1409889785&__utmc=248941774&__utmx=-&__utmz=248941774.1409889785.2.2.utmcsr=xdaforums.com|utmccn=(referral)|utmcmd=referral|utmcct=/verizon-htc-one-m8/help/airplane-mode-notifications-t2864041&__utmv=-&__utmk=26971070