[Q] Help deciding on htc one version -dual sim vs normal

Search This thread

MrVarioII

Feb 3, 2008
Hi all,

I love to tinker and have been a regular on these forums since the early days of smartphones (long before android and ios)....suffice it to say I love to tinker with my tech.

Ok so here is the problem... After months of biding my time it looks like its time to get an HTC One.....and on research I've discovered my best option price wise was actually import it....and that the versions from Japan (Made in taiwan), China, and ?india? have Dual Sims, whereas those from HK, like those I could buy here in the shops in the UK take only one SIM.

Now it would seem a no-brainer that I should go for the dual sim option especially as I have two separate sims - one for work and one for play.

HOWEVER, I will want to root my phone immediately upon getting it and will DEFINATELY want to install custom firmwares in the near future.....

And so the question....never having owned a dual sim phone in the past.....Will these phones take the same firmware and then a little setting up with custom apps? Or will I need completely different custom firmwares? and if so is the CFW cooking scene as good for the dual sim version? (also I only read English and Spanish so I'm a little worried that I may not be able to read the pages where any dual sim firmwares might be posted).....

This would be a complete deal-breaker for me and I'd be forced to go with the single-sim option.

I've searched and cannot locate a clear answer to this question! All help much appreciated!!!

juicylife

Jan 26, 2011
I have Dual Sim 802d version and its rock solid and all but the only problem I saw is non-availability of RUUs for the device (the Chinese ones caused radio problems for some fellow users with no signal and stuff) nor are their much custom roms for my device. After S-OFF I couldn't even flash Google Play Edition RUU as it bricked the device. Do a bit of research by browsing some of the threads. IMO if you aren't gonna customize your phone much like unlocking bootloaders, S-OFFing, etc.. HTC One Dual-Sim is a pristine device.

yatindroid

Sep 23, 2009
Jaipur
If you want more custom Rom and support don't go for dual sim
Smartphone and dual sim don't mix them battery sucker both ways
You will find your one SIM started problem in future not in network SIM not found like that
I have experienced with HTC desire v dual sim

from HTC One

BIGMOH

Mar 24, 2008
Hi all,

I love to tinker and have been a regular on these forums since the early days of smartphones (long before android and ios)....suffice it to say I love to tinker with my tech.

Ok so here is the problem... After months of biding my time it looks like its time to get an HTC One.....and on research I've discovered my best option price wise was actually import it....and that the versions from Japan (Made in taiwan), China, and ?india? have Dual Sims, whereas those from HK, like those I could buy here in the shops in the UK take only one SIM.

Now it would seem a no-brainer that I should go for the dual sim option especially as I have two separate sims - one for work and one for play.

HOWEVER, I will want to root my phone immediately upon getting it and will DEFINATELY want to install custom firmwares in the near future.....

And so the question....never having owned a dual sim phone in the past.....Will these phones take the same firmware and then a little setting up with custom apps? Or will I need completely different custom firmwares? and if so is the CFW cooking scene as good for the dual sim version? (also I only read English and Spanish so I'm a little worried that I may not be able to read the pages where any dual sim firmwares might be posted).....

This would be a complete deal-breaker for me and I'd be forced to go with the single-sim option.

I've searched and cannot locate a clear answer to this question! All help much appreciated!!!

If you do decide to go with the Dual SIM version getting custom ROM's might become a tricky situation. :(

Just for your reference for troubles that you may face see this: http://xdaforums.com/showthread.php?t=2626054

If you want to use custom ROM's get the one SIM version, as for your dual SIM's the good thing is HTC One supports hot SIM swap so you can pop the SIM in and out with out having to switch the phone off ;)

Good luck on your decision :good:

Last edited:

MrVarioII

Feb 3, 2008
Thanks for the advice all. Sadly then, as I had feared, my urge to tinker precludes my going for the dual SIM model!

A new cfw every 4 months or so is what stops me constantly wanting a new phone!

BIGMOH

Mar 24, 2008
Thanks for the advice all. Sadly then, as I had feared, my urge to tinker precludes my going for the dual SIM model!

A new cfw every 4 months or so is what stops me constantly wanting a new phone!

In that case...

You may also want to hold back on the purchase as HTC may rls a M8 Daul SIM version and I'm guessing if you buy the M7 at that time you're bound to get a better deal ?

MrVarioII

Feb 3, 2008
In that case...

You may also want to hold back on the purchase as HTC may rls a M8 Daul SIM version and I'm guessing if you buy the M7 at that time you're bound to get a better deal ?

Tempting - have been waiting for the price to drop ever since release and it just hasn't done it mind you! That said I can import it from as little as £200!!