Is CM Stable Enough?

Search This thread

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
So I've just been running a stock rooted flashable ROM nothing else. I want to have CM or a CM based ROM due to easy updating etc.. Anyway I'm ocd when it comes to what's on my phone I just don't want any bugs or issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

vin4yak

Mar 10, 2013
Mumbai
vinu.info
Yes, CM and most other roms found in Android development forums are stable enough to be used as a daily driver. But obviously you will face fcs sometimes!

Why don't you try it out? If you're not happy with it, just restore the nandroid backup! :)

mistahseller

Mar 13, 2013
Saint Louis
Don't use nightlies, use release candidates or releases those will be the most stable. I think the snapshot would be your best bet or read the CM thread and see what problems users are reporting if anything.

http://download.cyanogenmod.org/?device=hammerhead

There are more ROMs besides CM. Those Devs work hard and don't want to be overlooked just because CM is the most well-known aftermarket ROM.

Aria807

Dec 31, 2010
Dallas
Depends how picky you are regarding stability/daily driver of a phone.

If you want to play it safe, just root phone and install Xposed + GravityBox.

If you want to explorer more capabilities, go with a stable build of CM.

However, from my past experience with CM/custom roms, it's really all random. I've had unstable experiences even on a stable CM build, and I've had fairly stable daily driver of a rom when using nightlies too. It's really all a gamble.

Always make backups.

But I will say from where you are coming at, I'd try the Xposed framework + GravityBox 1st before you attempt going CM.

-Cobalt-

Feb 2, 2014
I'm using CM11 snapshot M3 and it's working fine for me. No bugs so far. Give it a shot. :)

hyelton

Recognized Contributor
May 26, 2010
Wilmington
Depends how picky you are regarding stability/daily driver of a phone.

If you want to play it safe, just root phone and install Xposed + GravityBox.

If you want to explorer more capabilities, go with a stable build of CM.

However, from my past experience with CM/custom roms, it's really all random. I've had unstable experiences even on a stable CM build, and I've had fairly stable daily driver of a rom when using nightlies too. It's really all a gamble.

Always make backups.

But I will say from where you are coming at, I'd try the Xposed framework + GravityBox 1st before you attempt going CM.

Thats what I'm currently doing... Lol. I only use the status bar signal colours and nothing else. I like stock with a little changes.

Jun 29, 2012
Los Angeles
Thats what I'm currently doing... Lol. I only use the status bar signal colours and nothing else. I like stock with a little changes.

I too recommend gravity box, but give cm a shot, Just back up, play around with CM, if you don't like it just restore, good as new :good:
I'll be flashing the latest nightly right now, 3-5-14
I'm a little OCD myself, I dislike having all those Play Apps to be honest lol, :silly:

abra5umente

Feb 9, 2013
Shepparton
IMO yes it is very stable. I've chosen to run PA purely because I love Pie. They are all very stable these days, only the ones which say that they are unstable are unstable.

Devs and contribs are getting pretty good :)

Sent from my Nexus 5 running PA 4.1 and franco.kernel

igchy

Oct 26, 2010
los angeles
Monthly, release candidates and releases are stable.
+1 to avoid nightlies w/out nandroid backup.
for example all of the nightlies sincd 03/01 breaking google dialer and voice+.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Yes, CM and most other roms found in Android development forums are stable enough to be used as a daily driver. But obviously you will face fcs sometimes!

Why don't you try it out? If you're not happy with it, just restore the nandroid backup! :)