[ROM][KitKat] CM11.0 for the LG Optimus 2x (P990)

Search This thread

tonyp

Inactive Recognized Developer
Feb 3, 2011
logo.png

CM11 for the LG Optimus 2x (P990)

This is the final CM11 built for our beloved LG 2x.
I'm providing two builds, a bcmdhd and a bcm4329 one. The former works with the 3.1 kowalski or Firtecy alpha kernel, the latter with the 2.6.39 M1 kk (by the legendary @pengus77).

This ROM received a final update at the 3rd of July 2015 which is based on the final CM11 snapshot XNG3C
The purpose of this ROM was to provide a kitkat reference ROM close to CM11 and there are currently no plans for any additional builts.
Myself and others managed to track down various bugs in the past. I spent tons of hours on hunting bugs and can't keep this up anymore, so please do not expect any of the current bugs (HDMI, BT calls etc.) to be fixed unless someone else decides to work on it.

All of my work is completely open-sourced at Github to encourage others to continue working with the sources or use them as a reference.
You can find ready-to-build manifests here: https://github.com/p990-dev/android_manifest.

As Cyanogenmod dropped our device quite some time ago (the last thing we had was an extremely unstable CM10.1 build) I had to add various tweaks, customizations and hacks over the year to ensure compatibility with our old (ICS) binaries and maximum performance within our low ram environment.

My modifications to stock CM11:
  • Implemented an automatic time fix for the new P990 and SU660 Basebands
  • Implemented an option to "Enforce statusbar transparency" at Settings - Performance (afaik this is a unique feature for this ROM!)
  • Various device specific fixes (wifi tethering, GPS, seach key, automatic brightness, bluetooth etc.)
  • Implemented additional hardwarekeys options
    • Screen off
    • Open power menu
    • Toggle last app
    • Toggle torch
    • Take screenshot
  • ROM adjusted for two different kernel builds:
    • 3.1 kernel version which includes the kernel by @Firtecy (based on the 3.1 kernel by @pengus77) with dcmdhd wifi drivers
    • legacy 2.6 ("m1") kernel version by the great @pengus77 with bmc4329 wifi drivers
  • Comes with my selfcreated non-neon mini gapps package
  • SELinux disabled
  • Included BarcodeScanner and feav's signedCameraApp3_ nosound _CM101 camera
  • Vibration strength lowered
  • And of course last but not least the fixes for tegra2 (non-neon) compatibility thanks to the great @hjunii

As the P990 is quite outdated by now hardware-wise we need to tweak the build to gain a satisfactory performance, especially for our extremely low amount of free RAM.
Over the time I introduced various improvements to the ROM, most notably:

Performance improvements:
  • ARM modules compiled with Os (gives us a bit more free RAM)
  • Adjusted dalvik properties for low RAM environments
  • OOM (out-of-memory) and LMK (low memory killer) optimizations
  • Memory ADJs optimized
  • KSM (m1 kernel) / PKSM (3.1 kernel) tweaked and enabled by default
  • ROM compiled with GCC4.8
  • ZRAM increased
  • /data and /cache mountoptions optimizations
  • TARGET_ARCH_LOWMEM flag
  • Dalvik bytecode verification turned off
  • JIT disabled

Please note that all the information in post 3 is outdated by now, it contains some former changelogs but doesn't contain information for the final builds.

As always, donations to me are never expected or required but always appreciated.

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011
Download:

Installation:
  • Download the ROM
  • Reboot ro recovery
  • Do a full wipe
    (if you're upgrading from a previous CM11 build you can skip this, although it's still stringly recommended!)
  • Wipe /system
  • Flash the zip
  • Reboot

Recommended Confirguration:
  • Kernel Control:
    • CPU: Min: 120Mhz, Max: 1400Mhz
      (your device might be unstable with these settings! Test it properly!)
    • Govenor: interactive (snappier) / dyninteractive (better battery)
    • Shed Power Savings: Max
    • ZRAM: keep default at 110MB
    • SDCard readaheads: 512KB (scheduler: row)
    • Memory Killer (OOM) Settings: I'd recommend to use the default ones, but you could try Middle / Aggressive, too
    • Last but not least: dynamic fsync gives the device a nice performance boost, but you're risking data corruption (aka: you might have to do a full wipe).
      If you want to use it make sure the ROM runs stable and you have a backup ready before activating it.
  • Kowalski Manager (M1 bcm4329 version only)
    • Ensure "auto-hotplug" is activated in the Kowalski manager or you'll have bsods!
    • Enable PSP power saving mode
    • Enable Max Load Balance PM
  • General recommendation:
    • Settings - Wifi - Menu - Advanced:
      Make sure the following options are disabled: Network Notification, Scanning always available, Avoid poor connections
      Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep: only when plugged in
      M1 kernel version: Ensure Wi-Fi optimization is turned off - it's incompatible with bcm4329!
    • Settings - Lock Screen - Clock widget - Weather panel - Disable weather (drains battery)
    • Do NOT use Facebook or Chrome, they're both extremely memory hungry

Known Bugs:
(affects all custom ROMs, mostly related to LG/Nvidia/Google dropping support and us using ICS (Android 4.0) binaries for an Android 4.4 ROM).
  • Bluetooth Calls not working due to bluedroid/kernel incompatibilities
    If you need to use BT calls you have to use a Stock / CM10 ROM or one of my CM10.1 builds where I backported bluez to replace the buggy bluedroid stack
  • Some BT devices suffer from the A2DP Bluetooth Fast-Forward bug (again, related to the bluedroid stack in combination with our kernel)
  • HDMI rotation not working
    (the only way to fully use HDMI will be a Stock ROM (or Android 2.3-based CM7 ROM)
  • Occasional mobile data drops, e.g. when disabling the flight mode -> toggling mobile data or 2g/3g or a reboot fixes the issue
  • Bugs in bcm4329 (m1 kernel version)
    • Screen off - flash on automatic brightness
    • Statusbar data traffic indicators not working
    • Wifi tethering might require a prior full wipe to work
  • Bugs in bcmdhd (3.1 kernel version)
    • Camera rotation bug (image may be upside down in preview, video recording most likely not working) (kernel issue)
    • Wifi tethering only working without encryption (search the thread for "tethering" for more info)
    • Wifi crashes for some users -> reboot fixes it (kernel issue)

Credits:
This ROM wouldn't be possible without the help of a lot of great people, including:
  • @hjunii for his CM11 and 3.1 kernel bringup
  • @pengus77 for his awesome kernels
  • @Firtecy and @DJNoXD for their help in development
  • @BS86 for providing the builds, maintaining the thread and his great overall support
  • @echo_21 for helping to debug various issues (most notably automatic time and GPS)
  • @aremcee and Cyanogenmod for their work
  • @spyrosk for the bootloader converter and AIO toolkit
  • @basketbuild for their free hosting

Last edited:

BS86

Jan 20, 2013
Regensburg

Introduction:

So well, here we are. The ROMs are only built from tonyp's Sources! They are not my work!

Basically, the ROMs come either in bcmdhd-wifi-compatibilty (3.1) or in bcm4329-wifi-compatibility (Kowalski M1) - look into the specific folder!
For the wise guys who flash the opposite kernel and claim that both kernels work on the same build: try wifi and see ;)
I did a dirty flash to change from bcmdhd to bcm4329 and it went with no issues, but if you encounter issues while switching compatibilities, do a full wipe!
EDIT: wifi tethering is only working after full wipe!

They are designed for New Bootloader, but apparently, the bcm4329-one can be converted to oldbl and flashed with CWM!

Do not judge battery performance during the first 3-5 normal charge cycles! It takes some time to cool down - use better battery stats if you still have drain-issues afterwards!
Installation instruction:

First installation:

(Coming from any other ROM except CM11)
  1. Download the ROM
  2. Do a full wipe
  3. Wipe /system
  4. Wipe Cache and Dalvik Cache
  5. Flash the zip with your recovery
  6. reboot

Update Installation:

1. Download the zip
  2. Flash zip with recovery
  3. Reboot
You do not need to install gapps! They are included.
Changelog:

starting from 20140523-build:
Code:
Changes in cm-11-20140526-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
  - resynced to CM11-stable repository of May 26
  - tonyp's zRAM patch
Changes in cm-11-20140527-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
  - resynced to CM11-stable repository of May 27
  - removed Maps due to constant force closing (install from playstore)
  - tonyp's CPU default Frequency fix
Changes in cm-11-20140601-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
  - resynced to CM11-stable repository of June 1
  - back to Kowalski M1 compatibility (breaking 3.1.10-compatibility)
Changes in cm-11-20140613-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcm4329.zip and cm-11-20140614-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcmdhd.zip
  - resynced to CM11 M7
  - removed omni's Performance settings
  - Performance Control preincluded
Changes in cm-11-20140713-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcmdhd.zip and cm-11-20140716-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcm4329.zip
  - resynced to CM11 M8
  - Android 4.4.4
  - reverted transparent status bar
  - added tonyp's memory management-optimizations
  - set default zRAM-size to 110MB instead of 60MB
  - removed torch app (buildbreaker)
If you encounter issues:

Provide logs (for how to create logs, see here)
and specify your ROM-version and kernel
Known bugs:
If a bug is only listed for one kernel, it only occurs there!

• Bluetooth Calls not working
  • HDMI not working
  • Performance Controls settings not sticking after reboot. - Activate "use init.d script" in its app settings in addition to "set on boot"
  • mobile data-connection may drop, activate and deactivate airplane mode to solve that

Bugs in bcm4329
  • No 0-percent battery level shutdown
  • no traffic indicators
  • wifi tethering only working after full wipe when changing ROM-compatibility
  • phone MAY BSOD when connecting charger --> set auto-hotplug to "on" in Kowalski Manager

Bugs in bcmdhd
  • Camera rotation bug (image may be upside down in preview, video recording most likely not working)
  • Wifi tethering not working
  • Wifi may crash and not connect any more --> reboot fixes it (kernel issue)

Last edited:

Firtecy

Feb 14, 2013

First installation:

1. Download the ROM
  2. Do a full wipe
  3. Wipe /system
  6. reboot

I would not recommend to wipe system, because:
1. It will be wiped in the installation process anyway and
2. If I remember correctly, than the check for the right device will fail. (I think the updater-script will check the build.prop for the right device codename.)

Gesendet von meinem LG-P990 mit Tapatalk​

Last edited:

tonyp

Feb 3, 2011
If you did a dirty flash to the M1 build make sure to go to:
Settings - Wi-Fi - Advanced - and uncheck "Wi-Fi optimization"
This doesn't work with bcm4329 and might have negative side effects. Use the Kowalski Manager in the M1 build for power saving options.
I'd recommend to disable "Scanning always availabe" as well as it can hold wakelocks and drain battery.

Can someone who did a full wipe please tell me if the Wi-Fi optimization option is disabled by default (full wipe only).
This commit should take care of that but I'd like some confirmation.
Edit: @Surplus confirmed it is disabled as intended :good:

@Firtecy: The advantage of wiping /system is it gets rid of some scripts which could elseways keep files in the /system partition.
This is especially crucial if someone flashed the official (neon-only) gapps package, without the wipe /system he will have leftovers which can cause FCs, e.g. in the keyboard.
So indeed, I recommend to always do a format /system after a full wipe unless you know that you don't need it (aka not the standard user hehe).
Yes, it disables (not: fails) the device check, but I cincerely hope that people know by now this is for the LG 2x P990 newbl ;)

Last edited:

ivaneris

Apr 3, 2012
Blora
Haven't tried m1 version but 3.1 kernel version works very fluid so far with kowalski modified kernel by firtecy...using 32mb ramhack...very good...

Sent from my LG-P990

Reactions: dangelo.davide

mrjeff

Jul 9, 2006
oldbl conversion

If someone has success in converting the bcm4329 build with using the converter from here and flashing the oldbl-M1 kernel, please let me know!

I do not have the oldbl on my device and therefore won't test on my own!

Using the ROM tool, adding oldbl-M1 kernel and making a ROM for oldbl went fine BUT

TWRP 2.6.0.0. and TWRP 2.6.3.0 both failed to install the converted ROM with the following error messages:

------------------------------------------------------------------------
symlink: some symlinks failed
Error: Error executing updater binary in zip
Updating partition details

Last edited:
Reactions: BS86

ivaneris

Apr 3, 2012
Blora
Using the ROM tool, adding oldbl-M1 kernel and making a ROM for oldbl went fine BUT

TWRP 2.6.0.0. and TWRP 2.6.3.0 fail to install with the following error messages:

Have you used oldbootloader when installing?recovery/partition?

Sent from my LG-P990

BS86

Jan 20, 2013
Regensburg

TWRP 2.6.0.0. and TWRP 2.6.3.0 both failed to install the converted ROM with the following error messages:

did you check if it is possible to flash with CWM?

kennyFF92

Feb 1, 2014
OnePlus Nord 2 5G
I'm on the 05/27 and i'm experiencing a bug, when i set preferences in overclock and memory settings (minfree) and tick set on reboot it will go back to default after reboot.
I got 2 logs, one right after choosing the settings and one after rebooting.

Attachments

• 2014-06-02_09.50_afterSettings.zip
    41.7 KB · Views: 46
  • 2014-06-02_09.55_afterReboot.zip
    34.8 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: Firtecy

ivaneris

Apr 3, 2012
Blora
Yes absolutely, I am on the oldbl.

Maybe need some adjustment on updater script....

I'm on the 05/27 and i'm experiencing a bug, when i set preferences in overclock and memory settings (minfree) and tick set on reboot it will go back to default after reboot.
I got 2 logs, one right after choosing the settings and one after rebooting.

Same for me..well i'm using this performance control app and it works well...maybe omnis performance control incompatible with new rom?
This is the latest performance control app
https://mega.co.nz/#!4RZgmZyQ!clGeO0IxeJRTljpKCR9_Pfb7hKu3Q7VRkGq0QWTr0OE

Sent from my LG-P990

metteduch

Jun 7, 2012
DAYUM! Latest build with m1 is just... wow!!!! I confirm tethering works and its sooo smooth. Also now we can lower dBm from LG's stupid 32

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    logo.png

CM11 for the LG Optimus 2x (P990)

This is the final CM11 built for our beloved LG 2x.
    I'm providing two builds, a bcmdhd and a bcm4329 one. The former works with the 3.1 kowalski or Firtecy alpha kernel, the latter with the 2.6.39 M1 kk (by the legendary @pengus77).

This ROM received a final update at the 3rd of July 2015 which is based on the final CM11 snapshot XNG3C
    The purpose of this ROM was to provide a kitkat reference ROM close to CM11 and there are currently no plans for any additional builts.
    Myself and others managed to track down various bugs in the past. I spent tons of hours on hunting bugs and can't keep this up anymore, so please do not expect any of the current bugs (HDMI, BT calls etc.) to be fixed unless someone else decides to work on it.

All of my work is completely open-sourced at Github to encourage others to continue working with the sources or use them as a reference.
    You can find ready-to-build manifests here: https://github.com/p990-dev/android_manifest.

As Cyanogenmod dropped our device quite some time ago (the last thing we had was an extremely unstable CM10.1 build) I had to add various tweaks, customizations and hacks over the year to ensure compatibility with our old (ICS) binaries and maximum performance within our low ram environment.

My modifications to stock CM11:
    • Implemented an automatic time fix for the new P990 and SU660 Basebands
    • Implemented an option to "Enforce statusbar transparency" at Settings - Performance (afaik this is a unique feature for this ROM!)
    • Various device specific fixes (wifi tethering, GPS, seach key, automatic brightness, bluetooth etc.)
    • Implemented additional hardwarekeys options
      • Screen off
      • Open power menu
      • Toggle last app
      • Toggle torch
      • Take screenshot
    • ROM adjusted for two different kernel builds:
      • 3.1 kernel version which includes the kernel by @Firtecy (based on the 3.1 kernel by @pengus77) with dcmdhd wifi drivers
      • legacy 2.6 ("m1") kernel version by the great @pengus77 with bmc4329 wifi drivers
    • Comes with my selfcreated non-neon mini gapps package
    • SELinux disabled
    • Included BarcodeScanner and feav's signedCameraApp3_ nosound _CM101 camera
    • Vibration strength lowered
    • And of course last but not least the fixes for tegra2 (non-neon) compatibility thanks to the great @hjunii

As the P990 is quite outdated by now hardware-wise we need to tweak the build to gain a satisfactory performance, especially for our extremely low amount of free RAM.
    Over the time I introduced various improvements to the ROM, most notably:

Performance improvements:
    • ARM modules compiled with Os (gives us a bit more free RAM)
    • Adjusted dalvik properties for low RAM environments
    • OOM (out-of-memory) and LMK (low memory killer) optimizations
    • Memory ADJs optimized
    • KSM (m1 kernel) / PKSM (3.1 kernel) tweaked and enabled by default
    • ROM compiled with GCC4.8
    • ZRAM increased
    • /data and /cache mountoptions optimizations
    • TARGET_ARCH_LOWMEM flag
    • Dalvik bytecode verification turned off
    • JIT disabled

Please note that all the information in post 3 is outdated by now, it contains some former changelogs but doesn't contain information for the final builds.

As always, donations to me are never expected or required but always appreciated.

Introduction:

So well, here we are. The ROMs are only built from tonyp's Sources! They are not my work!

Basically, the ROMs come either in bcmdhd-wifi-compatibilty (3.1) or in bcm4329-wifi-compatibility (Kowalski M1) - look into the specific folder!
    For the wise guys who flash the opposite kernel and claim that both kernels work on the same build: try wifi and see ;)
    I did a dirty flash to change from bcmdhd to bcm4329 and it went with no issues, but if you encounter issues while switching compatibilities, do a full wipe!
    EDIT: wifi tethering is only working after full wipe!

They are designed for New Bootloader, but apparently, the bcm4329-one can be converted to oldbl and flashed with CWM!

Do not judge battery performance during the first 3-5 normal charge cycles! It takes some time to cool down - use better battery stats if you still have drain-issues afterwards!

First installation:

1. Download the ROM
    2. Do a full wipe
    3. Wipe /system
    6. reboot

Update Installation:

1. Download the zip
    2. Flash zip with recovery
    3. Reboot
    You do not need to install gapps! They are included.
    Changelog:

starting from 20140523-build:
    Code:
    Changes in cm-11-20140526-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
      - resynced to CM11-stable repository of May 26
      - tonyp's zRAM patch
    Changes in cm-11-20140527-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
      - resynced to CM11-stable repository of May 27
      - removed Maps due to constant force closing (install from playstore)
      - tonyp's CPU default Frequency fix
    Changes in cm-11-20140601-UNOFFICIAL-p990.zip
      - resynced to CM11-stable repository of June 1
      - back to Kowalski M1 compatibility (breaking 3.1.10-compatibility)
    Changes in cm-11-20140613-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcm4329.zip and cm-11-20140614-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcmdhd.zip
      - resynced to CM11 M7
      - removed omni's Performance settings
      - Performance Control preincluded
    Changes in cm-11-20140713-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcmdhd.zip and cm-11-20140716-UNOFFICIAL-p990-bcm4329.zip
      - resynced to CM11 M8
      - Android 4.4.4
      - reverted transparent status bar
      - added tonyp's memory management-optimizations
      - set default zRAM-size to 110MB instead of 60MB
      - removed torch app (buildbreaker)
    If you encounter issues:

Provide logs (for how to create logs, see here)
    and specify your ROM-version and kernel
    Known bugs:
    If a bug is only listed for one kernel, it only occurs there!

• Bluetooth Calls not working
    • HDMI not working
    • Performance Controls settings not sticking after reboot. - Activate "use init.d script" in its app settings in addition to "set on boot"
    • mobile data-connection may drop, activate and deactivate airplane mode to solve that

Bugs in bcm4329
    • No 0-percent battery level shutdown
    • no traffic indicators
    • wifi tethering only working after full wipe when changing ROM-compatibility
    • phone MAY BSOD when connecting charger --> set auto-hotplug to "on" in Kowalski Manager

Bugs in bcmdhd
    • Camera rotation bug (image may be upside down in preview, video recording most likely not working)
    • Wifi tethering not working
    • Wifi may crash and not connect any more --> reboot fixes it (kernel issue)

Final build

Okay everyone, as promised I made a last and final CM11 build based on the final CM11 snapshot which I'm happy to announce here and now. :laugh: :good:

I've uploaded both, a bmcdhd (3.1 kernel) and bcm4329 (m1, 2.6 kernel) version. The OP (post 1 + 2) has been updated accordingly.
    Unless I made a major mistake somewhere in the sources that requires a hotfix this is going to be the final build and the moment to say goodbye to LG 2x development - it's been a great ride!

I merged the sources of the final CM11 snapshot (XNG3C), so it's using the latest CyanogenMod sources (including the Play Services battery drain fix).
    Additionally I merged the GPS patch by @echo_21 which has been discussed before in this thread and had an overall great impact on GPS performance.
    Apart from that there are a couple minor code updates but it should overall be on-par with the last versions I released here (and includes e.g. the full automatic time fix for the newer P990 and SU660 basebands!).
    If you want to check the sources (as always everything is completely open-sourced) please note that I have moved all my sources to the following Github location: https://github.com/p990-dev

Of course the new build includes all the low memory tweaks I introduced in the last builds, so performance-wise it's way ahead of the first CM11 builds from last year.
    For me this is a good ROM to settle - it's running fast and fluid and quite stable while being up2date.
    But of course I hardly ever use the P990 these days - although I did use it for some Xposed module testing recently.
    Speaking about which, I do have a couple apps in the PlayStore in case you're wondering: https://play.google.com/store/apps/developer?id=tonyp
    While my True Silent Mode Xposed module turned out to become quite famous it's only for Lollipop ROMs, but the Battery Manager Shutdown one does work with this ROM as well in case you're interested!

I'd like to use this chance to say thank you for all the support over the years, it's been a lot of fun!
    Special thanks goes to all the people with whom I worked on the ROMs over the years, including (but not limited to) @pastime1971, @owain94, @temasek, @vadonka, @Harsh, @MisjudgedTwat, @Stefan Gündhör, @aragorn7, @Benee, @rugglez, @SREEPRAJAY, @spica1234, @spyrosk, @TrymHansen, @tr@p, @Firtecy, @DJNoXD, @echo_21, @BS86, @wkpark, @pengus77, @hjunii - and all the others I forgot right now (sorry about that!). It's been a great honor to work with you.
    Additionally of course a huge thanks to all the people participating in the threads and contributing in various ways including the people who donated, you're too many to list here!
    I made a lot of good friends and would be happy to hear from you every now and then (at xda, at Google+, via email etc.) - see you around! :fingers-crossed:

My Google+ account: https://google.com/+thetonyp
    Hey folks,
    I finally got around to merge the CM11 M11 code into my repos yesterday.
    Addionally I changed the default toolchain in my device repo to 4.8 - so potential builders should make sure to make a clean build and potentially use "ccache -c" if you are using CCACHE and did make GCC 4.7 builds before.

Apart from that Kitkat comes to an end. It will be my last journey for the 2x.
    Lolipop might be possible (the Tegra3 N7 2012 might get an offical update) but it will have to happen without me.
    I'll definitely merge in the M12 update into my codebase as well, after that I think it's time for others to fork my repos for good (everything is completely open source of course).
    It won't be too different from the status quo, though.
    Of course I'll continue to stick around, and as I haven't been able to build on my own in quite some time due to the outtages of the xda and goo.im buildboxes others luckily helped out already.

But I'll make another final post, this is just the announcement in case anyone was wondering.

Cheers!
    Probably bad news: The M8 merge currently is incompatible with our support patches, namely the chromium_org package fails to build.
    Some ugly quick workarounds didn't fix it, and as I'm about to leave for quite a while for whch I have to prepare lots of stuff I do not have the time to dig deep and figure out how to reproduce the old fix in the new code (chromium is quite hard to read, at least for me).
    @hjunii is a lot better at this, maybe he'll manage to fix this in a timely manner, if not the ROM will be on pause for a while.