[Q] Samsung Galaxy S III I9300 cracked

Search This thread

steve1o

Sep 12, 2012
I had a carabiner case, which was attached to my bag, so the phone was hanging off of my bag. I put my bag down in the car, and closed the door...on the phone. The phone has a nice, tiny crack at the top left of the screen, rendering the touchscreen portion from working. At the time of the incident, the screen was still working, but after 3 days, the screen started to "die off". Now, the screen is not working, as in not turning on, but everything else is still good (I think...the sound's working, the phone's turning on as if there is no problem). I'm living in Belgium and I've called Samsung Belgium, but they weren't much help. Checked the store that I bought it from, but they weren't much help either. I've decided that I'm gonna just replace the screen myself. I've looked online for a similar issue, but I've found nothing. My question is, what do I need to get to begin repairing my phone.

I'll post pictures of the phone later.

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
You need an display panel and digitizer (they come as one unit. I've seen them on eBay here for £119 for the entire screen assembly and (in this case white) outer frame. It's a very easy job to take apart the S3 and attach such a unit to the motherboard as the S3 is not a complicated assembly at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Reactions: steve1o

steve1o

Sep 12, 2012
You need an display panel and digitizer (they come as one unit. I've seen them on eBay here for £119 for the entire screen assembly and (in this case white) outer frame. It's a very easy job to take apart the S3 and attach such a unit to the motherboard as the S3 is not a complicated assembly at all.

Sent from my GT-I9300

Thanks...another question, what kind of protection you got on your phone?

leoni1980

Dec 28, 2005
www.myspace.com
There's an iFixit teardown on YouTube. Just watch that. Basically though, you take the battery/SIM/Micro SD out, remove the screws at the back to take the rear panel off and expose the motherboard. There's one more screw as I recall, a few ribbon connectors, an aerial clip, a protector over upper portion of the unit which just pulls away and you then remove this and the motherboard and you have an exposed unit (the same unit you buy ready assembled from a number of outlets. As I said, the cheapest I've seen one is for £119 from a seller on eBay which I believe was refurbished.

Sent from my GT-I9300

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

Thanks...another question, what kind of protection you got on your phone?

I use a TPU case and a pretty bog standard screen protector. After my girlfriend broke her screen completely (to the point of not even switching on) from a drop of less than two feet and a friend of mine had the same happen I'm massively paranoid about my S3 breaking and am even contemplating selling it for that reason, though it is reassuring to know I can fix it easily enough I suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9300

steve1o

Sep 12, 2012
There's an iFixit teardown on YouTube. Just watch that. Basically though, you take the battery/SIM/Micro SD out, remove the screws at the back to take the rear panel off and expose the motherboard. There's one more screw as I recall, a few ribbon connectors, an aerial clip, a protector over upper portion of the unit which just pulls away and you then remove this and the motherboard and you have an exposed unit (the same unit you buy ready assembled from a number of outlets. As I said, the cheapest I've seen one is for £119 from a seller on eBay which I believe was refurbished.

Sent from my GT-I9300

---------- Post added at 10:15 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:12 AM ----------

I use a TPU case and a pretty bog standard screen protector. After my girlfriend broke her screen completely (to the point of not even switching on) from a drop of less than two feet and a friend of mine had the same happen I'm massively paranoid about my S3 breaking and am even contemplating selling it for that reason, though it is reassuring to know I can fix it easily enough I suppose.

Sent from my GT-I9300

So, an update. I've had a screen protector the entire time. It didn't occur to me to check the crack. Turns out the crack is inside the glass, which means that the screen is not cracked. Does this change anything?

ghostofcain

Nov 25, 2009
Birkenhead
Google Pixel 8
So, an update. I've had a screen protector the entire time. It didn't occur to me to check the crack. Turns out the crack is inside the glass, which means that the screen is not cracked. Does this change anything?

Not really screen and digitizer are bonded together, with the right tools you might separate them but how are you going to bond the new digitizer to the old screen?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Reactions: steve1o

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.

Sent from my GT-I9300
    How to replace screen posts/guide on here .

jje

Not really screen and digitizer are bonded together, with the right tools you might separate them but how are you going to bond the new digitizer to the old screen?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2