[SD Root] Make 16 or 8GB Nook Tablet Root SD Cards by Albert Wertz [SDNT16or8gbV4.7]

Search This thread

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
Initially I extracted directly to the SD card but then copy/pasted manually after extracting from the desktop. Didn't affect the outcome.

On the card, is it supposed to be the AWNTRoot folder or its contents?

In my case: G:/AWTNRoot or on the card should I see the Apps, Nook&Zergy, revert, etc folders?

A thought.. could a phantom drive mess this up? I'm just trying to think of anything...

I'm going to try the whole thing again: At about 5:35 in your video, you show what should show up so it seems that I should extract the rar and then put the contents of the extracted folder onto the card. Let me know if this is correct?

Thanks with appreciation!!!

I updated original post with how it should look, I will try and take a screen shot next and post it.

code_311

Nov 30, 2009
Lets see if I got this strait, you can create the sd card without the tablet correct? Or is it important to have the sd card in the NT while writing the image?

I do not have access to the tablet now, but I do have the files and a micro-sd usb card reader. I would like to make the bootable card ahead of time, then use it with the tablet later this weekend.

Anon9mouz

Sep 24, 2009
Rineyville, KY
www.facebook.com
I should know this as much as I been lurking and stuck to these threads but I don't see in op how big the SD has to. Be bc I remember it only have to have 50 mb so if that's still the case then great bc I have a lil 256 mb I think that will be perfect to finally open up the book out of back charge and root and recovery. Just be wait on this CM7 so I can have a full Android tablet and not a barns and noble tab lol

hurrpancakes

Jul 23, 2010
I just wanna say, I finally got around to getting root on my NT, and this method is ridiculously simple! Just follow the instructions in the original post, and follow along with the video, and there should be no issues on the way.

Thanks a bunch, Albert!

csd181

Jul 22, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Agree with previous post. I finally rooted my Nook. However, I am getting a force close of Gmail. Everything is working good. Anyway to fix that problem.

brianem

May 2, 2010
This worked perfectly, thanks! I do have one question though.

When I originally rooted on 1.4.0, I had a nook library application and store app icons in the app drawer while using adw/go launcher. After wiping and using this quicker method however, I'm not sure how to access those things without launching the nook bar (n button). It's only one extra click, but I'd kind of like to have the library on the adw dock. Is there a way to add them in?

albertwertz

Dec 8, 2011
Wolfforth, TX
Agree with previous post. I finally rooted my Nook. However, I am getting a force close of Gmail. Everything is working good. Anyway to fix that problem.

did you install from clean BN factory or another root? is this fixed?

This worked perfectly, thanks! I do have one question though.

When I originally rooted on 1.4.0, I had a nook library application and store app icons in the app drawer while using adw/go launcher. After wiping and using this quicker method however, I'm not sure how to access those things without launching the nook bar (n button). It's only one extra click, but I'd kind of like to have the library on the adw dock. Is there a way to add them in?

i dont recall ever being able to do what you are saying with a rooted device. I always just used the N button to access the barnes and noble content. I will look into this when I have time.

Sac's Droid

Jun 22, 2010
Albert I was wondering if by any chance you could mirror your files to any other site other than filefactory. I have been trying to download your files for 4 days now and simply can't do it

Reactions: insanity213

insanity213

Oct 2, 2010
Albert I was wondering if by any chance you could mirror your files to any other site other than filefactory. I have been trying to download your files for 4 days now and simply can't do it

Same here, I'm getting a whopping 40k a sec (and I'm on a 100 meg fiber connection with plenty of overhead). I'd be more than happy to mirror on my VPS (files.devphone.org). I mirror a bunch of Samsung Android stuff there right now. All direct downloads, no ads, no bull. In fact, there's no HTML really, its all directory browsing because I'm lazy :)

csd181

Jul 22, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
did you install from clean BN factory or another root? is this fixed?

After I registered the Nook tablet, I rooted it and sideloaded G mail app. But now I have a different problem. After I installed Gapps via Clockwork, the android symbol appears but when I touch it, it does not go anywhere. It appears I am bricked. How do I get this back to my original state or rooted?

csd181

Jul 22, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Albert,

I am using 4.5 root method. Also, can i backup my nook on a separate card and use that as a recovery to flash.

Last edited:

csd181

Jul 22, 2010
Pittsburgh, PA
Albert,

I have restored the Nook based on your backup image. Thank you very much for your help. Your video also helped me quite a bit.

Also, is it possible to have the barnes and noble setup along with the rooted setup with the adw launcher?

Last edited:

brianf21

Oct 27, 2010
Davie, FL

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    Does NOT work on Nook COLOR. Nook TABLET ONLY. There is a difference.

NEW SD CARD image, Version 4.7 Files cleaned up, for 16and8GB NT only, ANY version

changed hosting, spent some cash, donations appreciated...

Code:
    Changelog 
    4.7- removed keyboard to be separate patch, removed amazon to be sideloaded.
    4.6- Patch now 8gb and 16gb
    4.6- restructure files again
    4.5- LIVE WALLPAPER, 3d Gallery, Custom Keyboard, and changed files to one flashable small image and zip file. New instructions, also link to supplemental app package so download for root files is smaller.
    4.4- Restructured files and added an instruction txt file to make the process even easier to follow.
    4.3- Added a couple of extra apps to sideload folder
    4.2- deleted readme file
    4.1- changed sd image file to install faster, follow steps below same as before.

ROOT through SD card doesn’t require custom Drivers! You are still responsible for following root process to achieve root. Warning- Always make backups of your tablet. I am not responsible if you mess this up or brick your tablet. You do this at your own risk!

DO NOT MIRROR these files.

This process is heavily dependent on the work being done here plus additions of my own!
    Thanks to:Indirect, Loglud, ChainsDD, Bauwkz, Nemith, Goncezilla, Brianf21, AdamOutler, Meghd00t, AND Albert Wertz (for his work here and building on others work)
    And anyone I have missed, please PM me.

Demonstration Video of SD Card in Action

Troubleshoot Thread here

image.php

Computer required to make SD card. No Computer Required to Use SD Card for Root and CWM depending on the variation of NT you have. There is one variation that does require a USB connection to enter CWM. You can thank barnes and noble for poor quality control.

***Disclaimer You do this at your own risk, Use your head, if you are not comfortable with this, dont do it. Rooting nulls your warranty if you try and return a rooted device, they and I will laugh at you. Unroot it before returning. This modifies the onboard Rom, So root will be on your tablet after using Root SD card.***

Windows required; mac and linux users: just extract the img file from the downloaded file and mount it to an sd card. its that simple. If you dont know how to mount an IMG file to your SD card... Google it.

Instructions: Download File SD_ROOT_NT16or8gbV4_7
    MD5 Sums: soon

Video Walk-through for windows users on how to make SDNTV4.6: Same video instructions for 4.6 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCET91ElYmc

1. Connect Nook Tablet with auto mount turned on (if you have never rooted before it should already be on) and SD card in it to your computer.
    2. Run Win32diskimager.exe file
    3. Select “NT16or8gbV4_7 image file” and select drive for SD card on Nook (or SD card Reader) ***NOT INTERNAL SD CARD ON NOOK ***DON’T SELECT MY NOOK!!!!
    4. Click Write
    5. Disconnect Nook. Your card is made. Remove card.
    6. Donate ;)

Instructions on how to use the card.
    Video http://youtu.be/VQuM2m61qts

1. Put in Root SD Card
    2. Turn Unrooted Tablet OFF
    3. use usb cable attached to PC to turn on (should be auto, dont push power button)
    4. Install Zip from SD card, Root_Zip_NTV4_6
    5. Press power button to go back
    6. Reboot using CWM settings
    9. Follow Video for Root Calibration with Apps
    7. Sideload all you want (See folder for select games and other stuff)
    8. Donate, Click THANKS! Please post your experiences with this product as a quick reply to this thread so others can see your experience.

to ota block, just update nt hidden settings from market and use that

How to use these SD cards to create a custom recovery ROM

Included things on SD card right now:

1. Apps Folder (CWM App Flasher and Unrooter App)
    2. Root_Zip_NTV4_7
    3. Boot.img
    4. Flashing_boot.img
    5. MLO
    6. u-boot.bin

Apps included in Root Process:
    1. ADW
    2. Amazon Appstore
    3. Anycut
    4. Home Manager
    5. ES File Explorer
    6. Spare parts
    7. Homecatcher
    8. NT Hidden Settings app
    9. Titanium backup
    10. Custom Keyboard
    11. Live wallpaper
    12. 3d Gallery

Other apps in app folder on SD card image:
    1. Nook Recovery Flasher
    2. Nook Unrooter

When finished with card, this is how to restore it to full capacity http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V6bZpML3FEE

Supplimental Sideloading packet
    MD5 Sum: soon

Video on sideloading: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMZrDbOuKv8

Apps included for sideloading
    1. Amazon appstore
    2. AB Rio
    3. AB Seasons
    4. AB Original
    5. Go Launcher
    6. MxPlayer
    7. Nookunrooter
    8. Pocketlegends Free MMORPG (friend me on pocket legends if you want “suicideclown”)
    9. Twitter
    10. Dropbox
    11. facebook
    12. GetJar market
    13. Nook Recovery flasher
    14. Nook Tablet Hijacker
    I can send it to you in email. send me an email at androidshrink@gmail.com and I will email it to you. The links will be back up in 3 days. Someone was abusing my links again. Every time this happens, the server goes down for 3 days. This is why I request emails on the R3 file. Someone must have posted it and it abused my bandwidth. People dont realize there are bot downloaders out there that mess things like this up.
    FAQ

Q: When I restart I get error with Unrooter app
    A: Uninstall unrooter app and just copy it over to Media folder or another SD card, It can be manually pulled out of files from PC as well, You dont have to install this now. Is only used when need to Unroot.

Q: How do I get my full size SD card back, is only 70mb?
    A: Go to settings, about your nook and unmount sd cart then chose to reformat. Will restore back to full size.

Q: When I run update.zip nothing happens
    A: You are not following the directions correctly. You didnt replace the files on the disc image with the new folder files. Or you are not looking for the files on the sd card like the directions say. There should be no Update.zip. Watch the video if you are having trouble. The 2 zips to install are on the external SD card so you must chose that option in CWM.

Q: Does this unlock BN partition?
    A: No, but they are working on it for roms and you have to root and install CWM to install roms. but roms are not released yet.

Q: When I put the SD Card in and Turn it on it does nothing but boot.
    A: Well, you were probably version 1.4.1 or had that installed before and tried to follow the instructions for 1.4.0, Try following the instructions for 1.4.1

Q: I Patched OTA Block with Titanium backup and not 9.9.9, still 1.4.*
    A: Reboot and it should change.
    Power Off

So I didn't do anything wrong. This is a problem with the rom its self

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk 2

Not suggesting that you did anything wrong.

I have seen this with my NT8 several times under different scenarios. Particularly when I change SDCards.

Somehow, the NT is not fully turned off and appears to be in some kind of debug mode.

Holding the power button down for an EXTENDED time (once for over 2 minutes), forces it to shut down. Then, the next press will power on correctly.

YMMV but it works for me. I have to do it FREQUENTLY.:)