bottom buttons (light)

Search This thread
May 26, 2008
Has anyone else noticed that the bottom lights on the phone only stay on for 5 seconds and then turn off even when screen is active? Its annoying as hell.

lowlymarine

Sep 3, 2010
Orlando
Most (if not all) phones with capacitive backlit buttons do this, to conserve battery life and reduce the amount of needless ambient light when doing things like reading and watching videos. There are only three of them and they're in the same place on every Windows phone handset, so it shouldn't be that hard to get used to, especially compared to an Android device.

May 26, 2008
Very true, but when a screen is turned sideways when watching said movie or reading, it takes a bit to discover what direction to turn the phone because you can't see the buttons. This is especially true when you have a case on the phone and the physical buttons aren't viewable. Just a comment and was curious if anyone knew how to keep them on while the screen was on. Obviously this is a windows thing but we curious. Like the phone otherwise.

jimski

Jan 11, 2009
Florida
Well actually it's a Nokia thing. My Surround lights always stayed on. They thought it would be good for the battery. Took a few days but I am used to it now.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

feedmylittletroll

Apr 10, 2012
Georgia
Well actually it's a Nokia thing. My Surround lights always stayed on. They thought it would be good for the battery. Took a few days but I am used to it now.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Correction, its actually a Lumia 900 thing. My lumia 800's lights always lit up when the screen was on (as long as it was in auto mode)

May 26, 2008
Ok, so mixed reviews. Is it driving anyone else mad? It sounds like my previous comment about it being windows was incorrect. It appears to be a firmware issue.

LordGreylock

Apr 18, 2012
Northwest CT
I have noticed they don't stay on very long. It is sometimes annoying. If they could just have them lit up for a little while longer it would be very helpful.
I don't need them on constantly.

Also, I had a Lumia 800 for a while and those buttons would stay lit for a lot longer until Nokia pushed out an update and one of the things they changed was a shorter time for those buttons to stay lit and I couldn't figure out why because it was so much better before that.

Last edited:

22-40

Aug 1, 2010
Drives me crazy too. Might as well not have the lights at all - forever missing the spot and hitting the screen multiple times to register. At least make the dead space around the back arrow register as "light up"!

May 26, 2008
Ok, at least in not the only one. I am probably going to contact Nokia about it. But obviously that will do nothing. ohwell, I guess it's something I will have to deal with.

Drives me nuts too. And I hated it on the Captivate, but a little Root action fixed that. I'm so used to having physical buttons on my Desire, which didnt matter if they lit up or not, I could still feel them.

Only thing I don't like about physical buttons is in very circumstantial situations it is unDesireable (see what I did there?) to apply the required pressure to press the buttons (like whin in a gooseneck car mount for instance)